2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like your ostracizing this guy for no reason.
Never forget we are online on a forum. A forum called: Cheap Ass Gamers.

It is presumed all of us are gamers, just some of us are more CHEAP, others are more ASS. I'm definitely quite the ass, but my cheapness is extraordinary.

Ran into this today. One of the stores I go to, that I never had any issues with, told me that I had to put down the extra $5 from each game toward a preorder. It was either all on one game or spread across several. The regular trade amount could go on the card. Maybe they finally caught on and this will be the norm next time they do the extra $5 for trade ins.
I have a feeling this will be the case for most promos coming up this year, confusing promo fine print, and leave it to the discretion of your random Store leader to enforce. This week's 20% towards new accessories is probably going to need to be paid in full... but the fine print says you can also pre-order something, so I'm sure some CAGs will be able to pre-order a HDMI 3.1 cable for 50 cents down. But the 1 game = 1 free pre-order makes sense from a financial numbers standpoint, and most customers don't trade in stacks of games multiple times a week like us.
Hardly anyone ruins game discs except adult idiots and children. I remember when my niece got the Wii. She learned how to take the discs out by pressing the button, and she would put them on the wooden coffee table face down. So, I suppose it's a good investment for parents.
I assume my kids got yelled at enough in the daycare where they have a Wii, they handle our Wii U games pretty gently. I put the Nintendo library in a disc organizer to save space so it needs a little more finesse. They even know to rub fingerprints off if the disc error shows up. Haven't trusted them with the switch yet - Learned my lesson when I would find leap pad game cartridges in the laundry, so just homebrewed their 3DSes and put all the games on an SD card and traded the rest into GS! Maybe someday we'll have 2 TB SD cards and do the same with Switch library and the Lite³.

Well, that was a nice discussion about GPGs. Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't buy GPGs and preorders just to appease the GameStop overlords. I will say that I wouldn't blame a junior detective for noting my account.

I just can't help but think that GPGs are the least of the company's concern. Whenever I go to a mall GameStop nowadays, I hear 100% of the time at least one person talking about or asking when Gamestop will go bankrupt, in trouble, etc. So +30% $1 insurance fees on $10 games is not a market strategy. They are going to need this "arena-style" store to take off, or I won't ever have to worry about purchasing GPGs ever again in a couple years. Just like I don't have to worry about getting a best buy credit card now that GCU is a distant memory for most.

Unlikely. While GME has good cash flow currently (GME financial institution reports), they won't be re-stocking older titles / consoles they have already sold out on [maintain good cash flow].

GS ordered 80k AC Switches Nationwide (Reddit), I doubt they will do another 80k round, even though the original 80K are sold-out. They are internally surprised about the sell out.

GS will instead focus on new and upcoming games. For better or worse.

Long story short -- I don't think older games / consoles are going to be restocked.

They are gone man .. History! .. never to be seen again, dust, forgotten, fart in the wind, etc!
Where did this 80k number come from? I didn't see an exact number on the Reddit thread, and I would have some doubt about anything a regular employee, even a store manager, would say was GS's nationwide allotment total.

Well, that was a nice discussion about GPGs. Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't buy GPGs and preorders just to appease the GameStop overlords. I will say that I wouldn't blame a junior detective for noting my account.....
I didn't even know that GPGs mattered so much. They always ask but I've never bought one either. I just tell them that I'm not going to mess up any of my games. Sucks that the employees get so much crap forced on them. Its probably why there is so much employee turnaround in the stores i go to.

I never get asked about tech trades here, so it's possible that the district manager pushes the other metrics extra hard. Either way, I've definitely seen people get fired over numbers here. I wonder how much better GameStop would be doing if they just treated their employees and customers right. The retail apocalypse is unavoidable, but I'm sure the average customer doesn't enjoy being hounded every time they have to make a purchase. 

I didn't even know that GPGs mattered so much. They always ask but I've never bought one either. I just tell them that I'm not going to mess up any of my games. Sucks that the employees get so much crap forced on them. Its probably why there is so much employee turnaround in the stores i go to.
It's gotten to the point in my area where employees (and even a manager) will just ring the GPG's out as cash and pay it out of their own pocket. I feel kinda bad when they do that, but I just don't really want to spend the extra $1-2 per game when everything is already 20% more now that Elite Pro is gone.

i know these questions have been asked a lot, but just to confirm since I'm heading to a gamestop soon, the monthly cert and rewards certs can be used towards PSN, XBOX, eShop money right?
I know at least one other poster answered but figured I would still add my experience on Saturday.

On Saturday I used the $5 code for Feb right off my phone for a $10 PSN physical card. Not sure if he scanned my phone or just pulled in from the system. He did mention I had it on my account.

It's gotten to the point in my area where employees (and even a manager) will just ring the GPG's out as cash and pay it out of their own pocket. I feel kinda bad when they do that, but I just don't really want to spend the extra $1-2 per game when everything is already 20% more now that Elite Pro is gone.
That's so sad on so many levels. I'd honestly be pissed if I saw GPG added on my receipt even if the employee is paying for it. GPG is not something most of us probably ever need. It's definitely worth it for younger kids since they cover just about anything, but Blu-Ray discs aren't easily scratched and cartridges are less likely to get damaged and more likely to get lost with how small they area.

I went into Gamestop the other day and traded some stuff and for the first time really felt the loss of all the Pro/Elite bonuses. The extra $5 a month is pretty lame and I won't be renewing when my Pro expires in a couple of months.

That's absurd. Kudos to GameStop corporate for being such monsters that their own employees are paying them to keep their jobs...

Finishing Death Stranding this morning, should I trade it for the current 22 or wait for a promo? My fear is that the value will drop so much while I wait that it won't really matter. I was surprised it was still hanging around at 20.

Finishing Death Stranding this morning, should I trade it for the current 22 or wait for a promo? My fear is that the value will drop so much while I wait that it won't really matter. I was surprised it was still hanging around at 20.
I'd trade it while you can. The game hasn't sold all that well and will definitely drop. I honestly should have traded my copy in over the weekend, but I decided to keep it thinking I will eventually beat it. I've only played about an hour of the game and didn't hate it, but it also didn't leave me with a desire to play more of it.

Had the same thing happen the last time I went into one of my local stores. It was like... weird.

Now that I think about it, I've had employees in a certain store (Not my local store) do price overrides and then add GPGs on the transaction. They'd always say something like "We found this cheaper elsewhere, so we're going to cut you a deal". It's a price match test store, so the POS gives them permission to adjust the prices to whatever they want. One employee adjusted the price by a massive amount and gave me the equivalent of the old Elite Pro + CAG16 bonus even after adding the cost of the GPG. The employees there are willing to price match almost anything, including the CAG16 promo back when it still existed.

I would wait for the next stealth bump. I have a feeling it would go up a few dollars then.

If anyone is interested in Sparklite switch physical copy. Its around 14.95 and i got bestbuy to price match. It guarantees i get a sealed NEW game shipped.

Curious what everyone is thinking in terms of trading in current gen consoles in preparation for the ps5/series x era. The pro/one x are getting 250 trade in right now, which seems pretty good. Are we likely to see better values for an upgrade promotion in the next year?

Curious what everyone is thinking in terms of trading in current gen consoles in preparation for the ps5/series x era. The pro/one x are getting 250 trade in right now, which seems pretty good. Are we likely to see better values for an upgrade promotion in the next year?
I dont ever trade in consoles. It's nice to always have a working console available to play in case something happens to the one I'm currently using.

The only bad thing about them doing it this often is that a lot of games are still out of stock. I already checked several games that I want and none are in stock online. One is in stock at one store near me and only Deadpool is in stock from my wanted list.

Have a groupon coupon, can get star wars fallen order for $20(50% off $40).

I've always liked respawn, but never cared about star wars. How is the game for someone who doesn't care about star wars?

Could always play it and get my money back by trading it in.

Also looking at dbz kakarot game at $37.50, but will likely go lower soon.

Hey all, 

I didn't want to make a whole thread for this because it's probably regional and there's really no way of me knowing if it's nationwide, BUT, Safeway's Just 4 You app has a "Save $5 when you buy 2 gift cards" promotion going on. GameStop is one of the companies listed, and I checked the store and saw that GameStop's range specifically started at $15. With that being said, I'm not sure that it's actually required to be a minimum of $15 because I talked to a store associate and she said that it can be as low as $5, but when the gift card says $15 to whatever, I'm just assuming it has to start at $15. 

The deal expires on February 14th and I have no idea if Safeway's subsidiaries such as Vons are participating and worst case scenario it's $25 for $30 worth of credit at GameStop if you have to do a minimum of $15 on each. 

Have a groupon coupon, can get star wars fallen order for $20(50% off $40).
I've always liked respawn, but never cared about star wars. How is the game for someone who doesn't care about star wars?

Could always play it and get my money back by trading it in.

Also looking at dbz kakarot game at $37.50, but will likely go lower soon.
It's not a good game at all. It isnt star warsy at all other than lightsabers, but overall it's a very bad game.

If it does happen, that's like the 4th time in as many months. It used to be a 2 or 3-time sale per year. They must really need the cash.
If gamestop really needed the cash, then they shouldn't be trying so hard to make people not buy anything other than one a month at most.

If gamestop really needed the cash, then they shouldn't be trying so hard to make people not buy anything other than one a month at most.
The new strategy is that all the little Jimmys will bug their moms to go to Gamestop once a month and spend it on collectables or something.

If it does happen, that's like the 4th time in as many months. It used to be a 2 or 3-time sale per year. They must really need the cash.
B2G1 is not really worth it anymore without Elite Pro and Cag16 imo. GS might as well just make it the norm to clear out all preowned stock and fill the store with collectible garbage in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back