2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the magic word to get gamestop to refund me on a cancelled online order using trade credit again?
I always have the employees at my local store call the in-store hotline when that happens. The in-store hotline is much more effective at resolving these issues, but it depends on whether it's worth going to a store for you.

What's the magic word to get gamestop to refund me on a cancelled online order using trade credit again?
They canceled a few games for me during the buy 2 get 2 back in December. I had to speak to 3 different people to get someone to send me something. They eventually sent me copies of the game with a receipt showing full price, when in fact they were either free or heavily discounted because of elite and cag16. I went to the store to return them and they offered me cash back. I felt kinda bad so I took trade credit but I got $55 + tax on them.

To answer your question, I couldnt get then to refund me. Thet kept saying they did process a refund but nothing was showing so I ended up asking for the canceled games or other similarly priced games. Then went to return those to the store and got more credit than I used. You just have to be persistent.

B2G1 is not really worth it anymore without Elite Pro and Cag16 imo. GS might as well just make it the norm to clear out all preowned stock and fill the store with collectible garbage in its place.
In the past month funko stock is down 45%... collectibles isn’t the move

To clarify, all I do is let my local store know that I didn't get my trade credit back and ask if they can run a balance inquiry. They will see the discrepancy as soon as they check the card on their end. They will then call the in-store hotline and either remove the hold on the credit or have it transferred to a new trade card for you. The entire process only takes a few minutes, so it's the quickest way if you are close to a store. 

Haven't heard of Wargroove before.. but seeing an armored dog on the cover, I can't say I'm not intrigued.
I'm going to be that guy...and say that it's on Game Pass. But it seems like a cool physical copy to own.

Anybody know if the buy 4 used games sales are still going? I'd like to pick up The Division 2 as a part of that.

Have a groupon coupon, can get star wars fallen order for $20(50% off $40).
I've always liked respawn, but never cared about star wars. How is the game for someone who doesn't care about star wars?

Could always play it and get my money back by trading it in.

Also looking at dbz kakarot game at $37.50, but will likely go lower soon.
I only liked it because it WAS Star Wars, so take that FWIW. Those sliding sections are hot garbage. Is that a Respawn trait?

In the past month funko stock is down 45%... collectibles isn’t the move
Agreed...but GS will be GS. There aren’t any right moves for them tbh

Preowned markups was their bread and butter and in time digital will eat their lunch and completely negate the most profitable reason for the existence of the business.

They cannot compete with other big box retailers on price. They aren’t competent enough to become a “real” specialty shop (ie collectors want cases, artwork, and good condition) They aren’t willing to be customer focused in a consistent way across all of their stores so in store shopping is a crapshoot experience...even more so online.

GS is really only worth doing business with when you have a specific reason...otherwise there are better, more convenient alternatives.

“Any Game” Promo End Score:
165 Games traded in with Bonus = $825 extra credit

Average game value with bonus = $12.02

Total Trade in = $1,983.64

Game type distribution: 46% XB1, 39% PS4, 6% NSW, 9% retro

Highest Value = Modern Warfare for $32.50

Lowest Value = PUBG for $7.20

Most Surprising Value = Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered for $24.25

Most Disappointing Value = Street Fighter V for $8.85

Wished I had saved more 3DS games for this, but wasn’t expecting an “any game” promo again. Now waiting for that supposed tax-season CSAC promo to start to completely deplete the B2G2 stock of switch titles. :D/

IF b2g1 hits again, I definitely think that this is going to be Gamestops "solution" for removing PUR : The permanent 4for* and monthly (or frequent) b2g1 (and maybe b2g2 with the former frequency of b2g1).  It's an interesting strategy, and could be effective if capably managed (more fluid pricing for a start), but I don't necessarily see why this is better for them than having kept the 10% discount.

Being Gamestop, though, the entire strategy will change in six months anyway.

With Gamestop's TIV bumps this week on Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, and Pokemon Sword/Shield (all 35 base), is anybody here taking advantage of the extra 20% toward an accessory over $49.99 promotion with in these values?  I want to trade in but I am having a hard time justifying trading toward something like a Switch Pro Controller when they can just be bought significantly cheaper somewhere else (Walmart has pro controllers for $59 while GS has them for $69.99).  What accessories are you guys all trading toward or are you just getting whatever and then returning the accessory later on?

With Gamestop's TIV bumps this week on Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, and Pokemon Sword/Shield (all 35 base), is anybody here taking advantage of the extra 20% toward an accessory over $49.99 promotion with in these values? I want to trade in but I am having a hard time justifying trading toward something like a Switch Pro Controller when they can just be bought significantly cheaper somewhere else (Walmart has pro controllers for $59 while GS has them for $69.99). What accessories are you guys all trading toward or are you just getting whatever and then returning the accessory later on?
Buy to get the bump then return it later?

Buy to get the bump then return it later?
I'm considering this, but don't love the idea of having $50 tied up in an accessory I don't want. At least GameStop corporate won't flog the sales associate for letting me return an accessory like they would had I cancelled a pre-order, or worse not bought GPG on a switch cartridge.

What I typically do is buy and ask for a gift receipt, then return at a different store with the gift receipt. It's the least suspicious method because the employees will think that you received it as a gift. 

Anyone know what the heck is going on with the Pillars of Eternity 2 for the PS4 in terms of availability?

It was on the ad last week and no store carries it near me and no other store outside of GameStop carries it either. The only copy near me is at Best Buy and it’s the collector’s edition, otherwise there’s absolutely none between GameStop, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or Meijer within 50 miles.

Did each place only get like 1 copy? Lol

Anyone know what the heck is going on with the Pillars of Eternity 2 for the PS4 in terms of availability?

It was on the ad last week and no store carries it near me and no other store outside of GameStop carries it either. The only copy near me is at Best Buy and it’s the collector’s edition, otherwise there’s absolutely none between GameStop, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or Meijer within 50 miles.

Did each place only get like 1 copy? Lol
There was a thread about that game on GS Reddit the week it came out; most stores didn’t even get a copy unless they had one pre-ordered.

The first game console port dropped by 50% in price almost within a month and I’m sure GameStop doesn’t want to be saddled with a bunch of copies they have to take a bath on again.

Finally got a refund for my elite. Was in the form of a GameStop gift card. Took over a month, but it finally happened. Inb4 gift card doesn't work and I have to contact them again.

With Gamestop's TIV bumps this week on Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, and Pokemon Sword/Shield (all 35 base), is anybody here taking advantage of the extra 20% toward an accessory over $49.99 promotion with in these values? I want to trade in but I am having a hard time justifying trading toward something like a Switch Pro Controller when they can just be bought significantly cheaper somewhere else (Walmart has pro controllers for $59 while GS has them for $69.99). What accessories are you guys all trading toward or are you just getting whatever and then returning the accessory later on?
I know some GameStops are still price matching stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. its worth asking if that specific store offers that.

There was a thread about that game on GS Reddit the week it came out; most stores didn’t even get a copy unless they had one pre-ordered.

The first game console port dropped by 50% in price almost within a month and I’m sure GameStop doesn’t want to be saddled with a bunch of copies they have to take a bath on again.
Gotcha, maybe that’s why the other retail chains don’t carry it either.

IF b2g1 hits again, I definitely think that this is going to be Gamestops "solution" for removing PUR : The permanent 4for* and monthly (or frequent) b2g1 (and maybe b2g2 with the former frequency of b2g1). It's an interesting strategy, and could be effective if capably managed (more fluid pricing for a start), but I don't necessarily see why this is better for them than having kept the 10% discount.

Being Gamestop, though, the entire strategy will change in six months anyway.
I'd dig a B2G1 once a month, I see lots of shoe store that run a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off all year round - which drive people to almost always add that extra pair. (I think... I know I end up always buying 2 pairs...)

What I typically do is buy and ask for a gift receipt, then return at a different store with the gift receipt. It's the least suspicious method because the employees will think that you received it as a gift.
The gift receipts do contain all the info of the PUR member that bought the item in the first place (it has your number on the receipt) so when you do plan to return, make sure you don’t log in at that store. Unfortunately if you've become a regular or at least recognized, most will know exactly who you are and pre-enter your PUR in during checkout... (especially if you live in a state that required IDs to be shown, they probably know your name and birthday if you trade in a lot...)

If I was going to try and take advantage of the 20% boost this week, probably try and pre-order some random PC accessory or a VR headset ... as they are never in stock :whistle2:

Finally got a refund for my elite. Was in the form of a GameStop gift card. Took over a month, but it finally happened. Inb4 gift card doesn't work and I have to contact them again.
Did you just call and request the refund or did you go to the store? This is the first successful refund report that I have seen posted in here.

I plan to attempt a refund as well.

The gift receipts do contain all the info of the PUR member that bought the item in the first place (it has your number on the receipt) so when you do plan to return, make sure you don’t log in at that store. Unfortunately if you've become a regular or at least recognized, most will know exactly who you are and pre-enter your PUR in during checkout... (especially if you live in a state that required IDs to be shown, they probably know your name and birthday if you trade in a lot...)

If I was going to try and take advantage of the 20% boost this week, probably try and pre-order some random PC accessory or a VR headset ... as they are never in stock :whistle2:
There was posts on this too in the past, where if a PUR member gets nuked, their gift cards also get nuked too, because of the linkage.

A Nuke is more serious than a suspension, I need to clear that up. A Nuke is when you are obliterated, done, never welcome in this town again -- whereas a suspension is 1 or 3 months, depending on the gravity -- seems like 3 months these days. I got a month month for trading in 5 wii Motes before I found this site. YMMV.

Most people get suspensions (IMO). A few who got nukes (according to this site), got like negative 100k+ of PUR points, $10k+ negative store credit. But they were trading in massive amounts the same day, and / or CSAC for alot (cash out literally hundreds/ thousands - in the same day).

If you put yourself in a position where you are going to be nuked, having separate gift cards won't help. "They" know.

Given how GS knows all the linkages, I don't see a reason for putting anything on a gift card these days, as opposed to your PUR card. /shrug

Unless you are using multiple identities -- but if you do, be wary, others in this thread got nuked for having multiple accounts. If the DL is hungry, he will eat.

[try combing your hair different ways for the camera, so they can't link you -- no seriously! :) .. that is how a DL identifies 1 customer using 2 PUR's....]

I know some GameStops are still price matching stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. its worth asking if that specific store offers that.
If you know a store has lower TIVs than the website/app consistently they also probably price match... just need to pry that test feature out of them as they sure aren’t going to tell you!

So price matching Walmart and then using a $50 cert = "Free" game! :D/

There was posts on this too in the past, where if a PUR member gets nuked, their gift cards also get nuked too, because of the linkage.

A Nuke is more serious than a suspension, I need to clear that up. A Nuke is when you are obliterated, done, never welcome in this town again -- whereas a suspension is 1 or 3 months, depending on the gravity -- seems like 3 months these days. I got a month month for trading in 5 wii Motes before I found this site. YMMV.

Most people get suspensions (IMO). A few who got nukes, got like negative $10k+ of PUR points, $10k+ negative store credit. But they were trading in massive amounts the same day, and / or CSAC for alot (cash out literally hundreds/ thousands). Again in the same day.

If you put yourself in a position where you are going to be nuked, having separate gift cards won't help. "They" know.

Given how GS knows all the linkages, I don't see a reason for putting anything on a gift card these days, as opposed to your PUR card. /shrug
I have never heard of anyone getting their actual trade/gift cards nuked because they were connected to an account, nor do I think it would be legal for them to do so. You would have to be getting $ from outright theft for that to happen.

For anyone who was thinking of grabbing division 2 but hasn’t and doesn’t care for physical it is now $2.99 on PSN, also Xbox I believe but I haven’t checked

I have never heard of anyone getting their actual trade/gift cards nuked because they were connected to an account, nor do I think it would be legal for them to do so. You would have to be getting $ from outright theft for that to happen.
Someone spoke up about it a couple hundred pages ago, I remember the conversation clearly.

This won't affect the vast majority here, but DL's can also become JD's when tipped off. You gotta raise a huge amount of LP flags to get a DL involved.

If a DL gets involved you may get nuked. (vs auto software 3-month bans.)

If I recall there were several reports, one of which had 13 PUR accounts, half of which were nuked along with gift cards, and all points / lifetime points / credit going negative.

It's not unreasonable to speculate the linkages can be found. It's something "not" to do, I suppose, unless you are completely finished with GS, and looking for a final horray moment!

There was really no way to confirm anything, even back then, so go at your own speed.

I'm more worried about being flagged as a "dealer" than anything else... I mean, pre-ordering one Animal Crossing Switch in-store and one online is safe I hope! :whistle2:

Someone spoke up about it a couple hundred pages ago, I remember the conversation clearly.

This won't affect the vast majority here, but DL's can also become JD's when tipped off. You gotta raise a huge amount of LP flags to get a DL involved.

If a DL gets involved you may get nuked. (vs auto software 3-month bans.)

If I recall there were several reports, one of which had 13 PUR accounts, half of which were nuked along with gift cards, and all points / lifetime points / credit going negative.

It's not unreasonable to speculate the linkages can be found. It's something "not" to do, I suppose, unless you are completely finished with GS, and looking for a final horray moment!

There was really no way to confirm anything, even back then, so go at your own speed.
I remember the person getting their accounts nuked for the hundreds of thousands of points. I do not remember them saying that every gift card they had was nuked as well. On the Gamestop reddit I have only ever seen one person say that their card was "frozen" but I think that was resolved.

Points can be revoked at will. But when you trade in merch for credit, that receipt is the end of the legal transaction. They can't just take it back on a whim because they think you broke some term, especially for the full amount.

I remember the person getting their accounts nuked for the hundreds of thousands of points. I do not remember them saying that every gift card they had was nuked as well. On the Gamestop reddit I have only ever seen one person say that their card was "frozen" but I think that was resolved.

Points can be revoked at will. But when you trade in merch for credit, that receipt is the end of the legal transaction. They can't just take it back on a whim because they think you broke some term, especially for the full amount.
All good then. I remember gift cards being wiped.

All this being said, it's not the normal CAG activity. Would you like to accrue $400-$600 a month, or a bit more for a lifetime ban.

Did you just call and request the refund or did you go to the store? This is the first successful refund report that I have seen posted in here.

I plan to attempt a refund as well.
It was via email.

Email that I sent (to [email protected] and [email protected]):

I received an email stating my PowerUp Elite benefits (20% extra trade credit, 20% off pre-owned games, and 30 points for every dollar spent) is no longer being honored at Gamestop.

According to the email I received, it states:

"If you prefer not to participate in the NEW Pro tier, you may cancel your membership and request a refund of the unused portion of your Elite Pro membership by 7/31/2019. Please contact Guest Care for more information."

In addition, the Gamestop website states the following:

"As of August 2018, PowerUp Rewards no longer offers the Elite Pro membership tier and as of January 16, 2020 PowerUp Rewards will no longer honor Elite tier status or benefits. If you previously purchased an Elite Pro membership and your membership has not expired, you have been grandfathered into the NEW Pro membership. If you prefer not to participate in the NEW Pro tier, you may cancel your subscription and request a refund of your Elite Pro Membership by contacting Guest Care."

The link for the above conditions is here:

https://www.gamestop.com/TermsConditions.html

My Elite Pro Membership expiration date is [insert date here]. That is [insert number of days here] days from today (roughly [insert number of years here] years from today), and if I were to receive a pro-rated refund, it would amount to roughly [insert pro-rated return dollar amount here] (as Elite Pro originally cost $30 per year, and again I have [insert number of years here] years left on my membership - i.e. you would multiply the cost of the membership by the time left; $30.00 x [insert number of years remaining here] = [calculate pro-rated refund here] refund).

2 of the GameStops in my district became price match test stores recently and they advertise it everywhere. They even hand out cards that advertise that everything is price matched. There are signs all over the store as well. The trade in values are all normal, so I definitely lucked out in this aspect.

Regarding the gift receipt, the point of it is that you’re less likely to get a JD because it hides the fact that you bought the accessory only to take advantage of the 20% promotion. All they know is that you bought an accessory and you want to return it.

Your transaction ID is also recorded on the card, traceable to "you".

You may see the dilemma.

EDIT:

I'm not trying to spook anyone.  I'm just trying to impress that gift cards are in no way "anonymous".  They don't hide your identity.  The store you use them at later can always see how and when you received them (if they want to call up your info).  DL's can see all the transactions at any time.  If a DL gave a shit .. DL's in my area don't bother -- they just want numbers.  I'm cool with that.

But gift cards are not anonymous.  Saying they are is folly.

I don’t partake in trade in promos that require me to buy stuff to get a bonus and return that same item later...

The best trade in promo just ended $5 for ANY game over $2 nothing beats it except California’s 50% bonus for any game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back