2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop is definitely cleaning house with all these pre-owned sales. Just look at some of the TIVs of the games that are on sale, $0.01. When they fully open, watch them say no more trade ins of PS3 and XB360 games. Just like when the PS4 came out and they refused PS2 games.
Reading their reddit, some are taking trade-ins right now. But like you mentioned, it's limited to current gen stuff with systems not being tested(just checked for cosmetic damage) and sent to the warehouse. Any 360/PS3/Wii U/Wii stuff is being turned away. It's also credit only(no cash).

Reading their reddit, some are taking trade-ins right now. But like you mentioned, it's limited to current gen stuff with systems not being tested(just checked for cosmetic damage) and sent to the warehouse. Any 360/PS3/Wii U/Wii stuff is being turned away. It's also credit only(no cash).
Maybe they'll actually open up some "Retrostop" stores like everyone keeps begging them to (and only those stores will accept older stuff)?

Went a little overboard:

God of War

Alien Isolation (missed out on $2 steam key couple weeks ago)

HZD: CE

Evil Within

Knack II

Sairento VR

Onimusha Warlords

Ghostbusters (GS exclusive)

Ghost Giant

Trover Saves the Universe

World War Z

I had a really good streak going, even getting some games delivered the next day (shipped from stores in the same state). But now everything is taking a few days to process, making me think the order is going to get cancelled. Also had this happen with my free games during the B2G1:

tKCUKRW.png

Waited an hour and 35 minutes on hold (luckily I was at work so it wasn't a total waste), but never received a replacement. I wanted to have a laugh about it on the subreddit, but I'd expect "you shouldn't be buying games during a pandemic" and  "we're under a lot of stress because GameStop is horrible but we don't know how to look for other work"

Gamestop is definitely cleaning house with all these pre-owned sales. Just look at some of the TIVs of the games that are on sale, $0.01. When they fully open, watch them say no more trade ins of PS3 and XB360 games. Just like when the PS4 came out and they refused PS2 games.
What's the ultimate end goal here? Wouldn't they want to keep those older gen systems going since the current gen (and going forward) are more angled towards digital?

Maybe they'll actually open up some "Retrostop" stores like everyone keeps begging them to (and only those stores will accept older stuff)?
As someone who's ordered a few dozen retro games from them, do people really want this? All of the disc based retro games I received from them were resurfaced with their blender resurfacing machine which often damages the disc art (which is closer to the data and hence, more likely to damage the game)... not to mention I've gotten at least a few games that do not work. Carts often look like they were chew toys for dogs. I've gotten many fake GBA and DS games, which are a nightmare to return as the stores assume you're trying to pull a fast one on them.

The only way I would go for this is if they started doing some actual due diligence on their end. Actually test/look at discs before sending them through the resuracing machine, verify games aren't fake, and most importantly, actually factor in box/manual in the pricing.

Starting browsing the 50% sale and adding stuff to my cart...then by the end when I looked at my cart like "umm...this is all filler and I am just buying crap because there is a sale," so I am sitting out of this one.

Best of luck to those that participate! 

What's the ultimate end goal here? Wouldn't they want to keep those older gen systems going since the current gen (and going forward) are more angled towards digital?

As someone who's ordered a few dozen retro games from them, do people really want this? All of the disc based retro games I received from them were resurfaced with their blender resurfacing machine which often damages the disc art (which is closer to the data and hence, more likely to damage the game)... not to mention I've gotten at least a few games that do not work. Carts often look like they were chew toys for dogs. I've gotten many fake GBA and DS games, which are a nightmare to return as the stores assume you're trying to pull a fast one on them.

The only way I would go for this is if they started doing some actual due diligence on their end. Actually test/look at discs before sending them through the resuracing machine, verify games aren't fake, and most importantly, actually factor in box/manual in the pricing.
My assumption is the hope of taking in new retro trades and acquiring better inventory for retro shoppers...little Timmy turns in a couple boxes of 90s console stuff in mint condition he found in dad's attic for some Fortnite coin credit or whatever...would give me a reason to return to the stores other than fat trade-in promos and return/rebuys to clear out or fill in items from these 50% off and B4G8 deals.

And I think you are right about digital...I am preferring digital to physical more and more...at least for the stuff I actually want to play. MS will probably burn us on it at some point but will I really care that I can't play that digital copy I bought for $5 10 years from now....I either got my money's worth or never got around to playing it.

Have to say I am happy with the current sale.  Lot's more available this time around.  Got a bunch of games. combined with the other 2 sales I spent probably 150 but got 25 games out of it give to take so it boils down to 6$ a game then.  My only regret is not being in time to snag xenoblade 2 for 9.99 on the switch since it's out of stock.  Come to think of it some of my ps1 gba ds or ps2 and other retro titles have not arrived from the previous purchases yet though.

Starting browsing the 50% sale and adding stuff to my cart...then by the end when I looked at my cart like "umm...this is all filler and I am just buying crap because there is a sale," so I am sitting out of this one.

Best of luck to those that participate!
That's part of the fun. I'd rather spend cheaply on games I want to play in the future now during sales like this vs later on when they either go up in price (like some 360 games over the years) or they don't have sales like this but I want to play them. I only consider old sports titles and alike "filler".

Also, remember not to buy any normally priced $9.99 game during this if you're smart about it, as they are cheaper with B2G2 and using promo codes.

I would like it in the sense that I could check the condition of the GCN games (box, manual, condition of disc) and see what retro stock folks were trading in that I could snag up. This would also let you see the carts and spot fakes...if done right, it would take a little bit more time and due diligence on the part of GS, but it could help collectors out.

There were a few cheap games I've been wanting, and I filled my cart with other games that I could eventually trade in, if need be.

My area has a lot of used game stores, so when they open back up (and some are already) I shouldn't have much of a problem trading them in some of the Switch games I've picked up from this sale...I hope :)

Before this sale, I've ordered 9 used games from Gamestop. 6 of them came in their cases, 3 didn't (All 3DS games at that).

I noticed they no longer have cheaper rewards certificates for preowned games. Is this the new norm or is it temporary? I've been stockpiling points and it may have just bit me in the butt.

I guess to make room for next gen stuff or redesigning of their stores.

That's part of the fun. I'd rather spend cheaply on games I want to play in the future now during sales like this vs later on when they either go up in price (like some 360 games over the years) or they don't have sales like this but I want to play them. I only consider old sports titles and alike "filler".
To each their own. Not sure I would pick up an old sports title for anything other than the case...and I would probably just ask for the case. Or pick up Division 2, that's got to be nearly free and most of those cases should be mint!

To each their own. Not sure I would pick up an old sports title for anything other than the case...and I would probably just ask for the case. Or pick up Division 2, that's got to be nearly free and most of those cases should be mint!
Thought you meant filler, as in cheaper story games you didn't know if you'd get around to, not filler filler lol. Yea, definitely dont waste money on that, even if they're $2 each.

Unless you want retro games
True. Forgot they don't work for the B2G2. Still havent received any of my PS2/Xbox games from my first order as soon as the deal went live last time, aside from one that came in a yellow sleeve. Not looking forward anymore to seeing the condition.

I got no issue with this sale again. I'm all for more of these half price sales.

I'm asking myself, why can't find the funds to get in on this deal again?
My problem with the sale is personal bias but all the games I do want are either "Not available online" or I already bought them the last go around. If they could increase it to $29.99 I'd be all over that because there's a good number of RPGs I could get for PS4.

God their website is such garbage. It’s like they want to fail. Can’t see what retro games are actually in stock. Why they don’t do the smart thing and revert back to the old website which let you filter out games that weren’t in stock makes no sense to me. Literally going through a ton of retro games just to see which ones I don’t own only to click on them and see they aren’t in stock. Wasting so much of my time that I gave up. Fauk the 50% off.

Also, remember not to buy any normally priced $9.99 game during this if you're smart about it, as they are cheaper with B2G2 and using promo codes.
Did the two percentage off codes work on b2g2? I ended up buying several sub $10 games and realized I may have just goofed after reading your comment.

Edit:
Guess I only bought 4 $9.99 games. So that's what, $19.98 with this promo vs what? Not sure how the the percentage off coupons discount games when there's more than three games in your cart and 2/4 are free?

Did the two percentage off codes work on b2g2? I ended up buying several sub $10 games and realized I may have just goofed after reading your comment.
Yes, but not now, which is why I would suggest waiting if you have any more games under $10 that aren't retro for the sale to be over so that they do work again. Assuming they'll go back to working. If not, ends up being the same price you get from this

Saw your edit. It would be around $15-16 I think for the games, not including taxes.

Sucks that pretty much every Vita title is sold out at this point...would have gone nicely with the promo.
Man you should have been on deck when they did the Buy 1 Get 1 Sale last November. That was the time to get it on Vita, I was ready right at midnight when it hit and basically filled out the majority of the US set after delivery.

Maybe 2/3 of it was complete with box but at those prices it was hard to complain. Only had 1 missing game in the end as well.

God their website is such garbage. It’s like they want to fail. Can’t see what retro games are actually in stock. Why they don’t do the smart thing and revert back to the old website which let you filter out games that weren’t in stock makes no sense to me. Literally going through a ton of retro games just to see which ones I don’t own only to click on them and see they aren’t in stock. Wasting so much of my time that I gave up. Fauk the 50% off.
People with 5 or more brain cells are no longer their primary demographic. They are going for the "look at the pretty picture, please take my money" demographic. Basically doubling double on the very policies that got them into trouble in the first place, to try to dig out of thier hole.

In the filters there is an Availability option, just choose "Available Now"
This isn't 100% effective but mostly is.

Does Gamestop usually send tracking/update emails regarding replacement items? Havent heard anything on my .Hack in like almost a week aside from a "How was our phone service" survey email the other day

Pretty happy with my order, grabbed the following for $38 shipped;

Civ VI - switch
Rune factory 4 - 3ds
Megaman X collection - gamecube
Fate/extella umbral star - vita
Fallout 4 - ps4

i thought you can filter out OOS online games by filter selecting Availability -> Available now

IATCG is back and leaving negative feedback for people right now.

Anyone who runs that sad fuck over would be considered a hero in my book. Imagine being such a fucking loser that you spend your nights creating accounts on websites you've been banned from so you can troll people for no reason.

Pretty happy with my order, grabbed the following for $38 shipped;

Civ VI - switch
Rune factory 4 - 3ds
Megaman X collection - gamecube
Fate/extella umbral star - vita
Fallout 4 - ps4
I'm also happy with mine

Mario Kart 8 wiiu
Yoshi's Woolly World wiiu
Pokken Tournament wiiu
Hyrule Warriors wiiu
Xenoblade Chronicles X wiiu
megaman 11 switch
kirby's epic yarn wii
super mario advance gba
mario party ds

total 69.57 half of the order already shipped.

You guys have far greater willpower than I do. Between this batch and last I think I'm at 60 or 70 games between the two sales. Spent close to 1k at GS the last two months, and I'm not proud of it lol. Gotten well over 100 games though

I'm also happy with mine

Mario Kart 8 wiiu
Yoshi's Woolly World wiiu
Pokken Tournament wiiu
Hyrule Warriors wiiu
Xenoblade Chronicles X wiiu
megaman 11 switch
kirby's epic yarn wii
super mario advance gba
mario party ds

total 69.57 half of the order already shipped.
Pretty good haul. I noticed a lot of cheap Wii U games in this sale for those looking. I think this makes me somewhat relieved that I don't have one, hah

You guys have far greater willpower than I do. Between this batch and last I think I'm at 60 or 70 games between the two sales. Spent close to 1k at GS the last two months, and I'm not proud of it lol. Gotten well over 100 games though
Oh I've bought stuff out of the last sales as well. But since I am super frugal all together I probably spent around 150 and got around 6 bucks a game when you break it down.

Speaking of my grandia 2, granstream saga and inuyasha copies arrived from the first sale. Only grandia came in the box the other 2 were disc only. But whatever I happen to have ps2 and ps1 boxes I stocked up on for just these such occasions from when amazon was dumping sports and such titles for pennies.

Pretty good haul. I noticed a lot of cheap Wii U games in this sale for those looking. I think this makes me somewhat relieved that I don't have one, hah
Yeah I was seriously tempted to load up there. I wanted a couple other things like xenoblade 2 switch but it was out of stock which isn't surprising given with the sale it'd be 9.99

While I am thinking of it if anyone here hasn't played pokemon moon they had it and with the sale it'd be 7.49 which is probably a steal given how pokemon games tend to hold in value or go back up generations later.

Do any of these pre owned games go back in stock? I want to get Snipperclips plus and a couple of others that aren't available. If I keep checking back, is there a chance they become available or if they aren't there now, they won't be until after the sale?

Finally got my first order of games, ordered right after it went live the first time. All my current gen games came in OG cases except Tomb Raider (2013) and Travis Strikes Back. Onrush and Plague Tale came sealed.

But holy cow.... the retro games I got. This is my first time ordering retro from them, but are the Xbox/PS2 discs supposed to look like they got beat to hell? Completely scratched up mixed with the clear resurfacing that happened, and TONS of the nasty chalk stuff they use to refurbish stuck inside the inner ring and outer ring, so it's not coming out. At least almost all the games came in cases, but there wasnt a single manual in any of them.

I cant check the Xbox games to see if they work since I dont have a system yet, but do they accept retro returns in store? Or do you have to mail it back to them?

Side note: Travis Strikes back came in the most nasty torn apart generic case I've ever seen sold at Gamestop. Was hoping to get a converted new copy, but got the farthest thing from it.

Do any of these pre owned games go back in stock? I want to get Snipperclips plus and a couple of others that aren't available. If I keep checking back, is there a chance they become available or if they aren't there now, they won't be until after the sale?
Usually games come back in stock as people trade them in at the stores that fulfill online orders. Now though, very few stores are accepting trade-ins so its far less likely, especially during a sale that's only 2 days.

Finally got my first order of games, ordered right after it went live the first time. All my current gen games came in OG cases except Tomb Raider (2013) and Travis Strikes Back. Onrush and Plague Tale came sealed.

But holy cow.... the retro games I got. This is my first time ordering retro from them, but are the Xbox/PS2 discs supposed to look like they got beat to hell? Completely scratched up mixed with the clear resurfacing that happened, and TONS of the nasty chalk stuff they use to refurbish stuck inside the inner ring and outer ring, so it's not coming out. At least almost all the games came in cases, but there wasnt a single manual in any of them.

I cant check the Xbox games to see if they work since I dont have a system yet, but do they accept retro returns in store? Or do you have to mail it back to them?

Side note: Travis Strikes back came in the most nasty torn apart generic case I've ever seen sold at Gamestop. Was hoping to get a converted new copy, but got the farthest thing from it.
Disc-based retro games either always or almost always come "refurbished" (hate-buffed), and they look some degree of what you're seeing. I need to rebuff every such game I get from them, but most do still work after I fix them.

It's been discussed before, but it's still amazing that the largest video game store in the world is incapable of properly repairing a disc, and much more frequently, makes them far worse than they started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back