2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully someone knows the answer to this because I'm afraid of redeeming the wrong coupon with my reward points and then having to contact customer service.

If I order something online for pickup in store, am I supposed to get the Online Only coupon or the regular one?

On the topic of point redemption:

I have a preorder scheduled for July, when I pick that up can then apply/cash out my points towards it? And can I also use my $5 monthly cert as well, then pay any remaining difference? 

I know it can be a crapshoot with GS, I guess I am asking has anyone done something to that effect or tried and failed?

What is everyone’s thoughts on trading at GS? It seems trading is going to become a thing of the past seems like most games that were released before mid 2019 are no longer tradeable. I feel like trading is all but dead atleast for the forceable future.

Does anyone know if the monthly PUR cert is transferable? I haven't used mine yet this month and not sure I will. If I can't use it, I would rather just give it to a friend. 

What is everyone’s thoughts on trading at GS? It seems trading is going to become a thing of the past seems like most games that were released before mid 2019 are no longer tradeable. I feel like trading is all but dead atleast for the forceable future.
well there’s a pandemic. Once we have a vaccine I imagine trading will be pushed as normal, since consumers rely heavily on selling/buying used games. It’s also a good thing to have this option as a consumer

GS was incredibly proud to report their 43% inventory reduction at their last earnings call.

GameStop Still Expects to Earn a Profit This Year

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:45AM

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/18/gamestop-still-expects-to-earn-a-profit-this-year.aspx

GameStop's 43% inventory decline was the standout metric in its earnings report, especially considering that three-quarters of its store base was closed for much of the quarter. That drop was a consequence of a sharp purchasing pullback in the early days of the pandemic and it improved the retailer's financial position in several ways, including by supporting cash flow, working capital, and the percentage of cash that converted directly into earnings.

To be honest, I think they want to retain as much cash-on-hand as possible to purchase as many PS5's, XB series 1X as possible, along with games.

Especially since Sony has a track record of limited availability. And the consoles are releasing a week before Thanksgiving 2020, rumored leaks.

They WANT to have the capitol to buy as many as they can, before suppliers sell out.

In other announcements GS reported loses .. yeah sure. Their net revenue saw a huge gain (yeah duh, no trades). Then they put a large amount against their debt. It's very confusing. But yes, they technically lost money as far as the taxman and shareholders are concered, but they had a helluva quarter -- and used what they earned plus alot more from other sources, to pay down debt, to keep themselves negative. So they show themselves in the red. Even though sales revenue was terrific.

Long story short, they are conserving cash, which, yes includes lackluster trades, IMO. They were proud to disclose a 43% drop in inventory. It is very unlikely they want that inventory back after making such a proud moment to their shareholders.

well it was fun while it lasted. I drained probably around $10,000 a year from gamestop from 2016-2019. Paid for most of my 1,800 game collection and my wifes engagement and wedding rings :p so im good. nothing lasts forever

No lucrative trades any time soon, IMO.

GS was incredibly proud to report their 43% inventory reduction at their last earnings call.

GameStop Still Expects to Earn a Profit This Year
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:45AM
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/18/gamestop-still-expects-to-earn-a-profit-this-year.aspx

GameStop's 43% inventory decline was the standout metric in its earnings report, especially considering that three-quarters of its store base was closed for much of the quarter. That drop was a consequence of a sharp purchasing pullback in the early days of the pandemic and it improved the retailer's financial position in several ways, including by supporting cash flow, working capital, and the percentage of cash that converted directly into earnings.

To be honest, I think they want to retain as much cash-on-hand as possible to purchase as many PS5's, XB series 1X as possible, along with games.

Especially since Sony has a track record of limited availability. And the consoles are releasing a week before Thanksgiving 2020, rumored leaks.

They WANT to have the capitol to buy as many as they can, before suppliers sell out.

In other announcements GS reported loses .. yeah sure. Their net revenue saw a huge gain (yeah duh, no trades). Then they put a large amount against their debt. It's very confusing. But yes, they technically lost money as far as the taxman and shareholders are concered, but they had a helluva quarter -- and used what they earned plus alot more from other sources, to pay down debt, to keep themselves negative. So they show themselves in the red. Even though sales revenue was terrific.

Long story short, they are conserving cash, which, yes includes lackluster trades, IMO. They were proud to disclose a 43% drop in inventory. It is very unlikely they want that inventory back after making such a proud moment to their shareholders.

TLDR: They don't want to buyback shitty / low-value games. :(
Yup, agreed. Gamestop would be out of its mind to waste liquidity on what is effectively antiquated software.

I think the surprise discless PS5 also hastens what many already thought was coming anyways. Disc based releases are going to become more and more niche next gen, and I won't be surprised if the next refresh basically drops the disc drive version, or markets it as the lesser (i.e. significantly mote expensive) version to even further discourage consumers from buying it.

All of that is to say Gamestop is all the more likely looking to revamp their business to find a way to survive in a mostly discless gaming generation.

Yup, agreed. Gamestop would be out of its mind to waste liquidity on what is effectively antiquated software.

I think the surprise discless PS5 also hastens what many already thought was coming anyways. Disc based releases are going to become more and more niche next gen, and I won't be surprised if the next refresh basically drops the disc drive version, or markets it as the lesser (i.e. significantly mote expensive) version to even further discourage consumers from buying it.

All of that is to say Gamestop is all the more likely looking to revamp their business to find a way to survive in a mostly discless gaming generation.
To be fair, as I understand, the PS5 comes with a 4k Blu-Ray drive, which the vast majority of people do not own, as they are pricey.

I'd rather have the PS5 with the 4k drive, and I'll likely be looking for a 4k TV later this year. Kind of like how the PS2 introduced me to DVD's.

I don't think the damage of a disc-less version of the PS5 to GameStop is going to be huge.

... digital storage space is always an issue, and will be even more so next generation ... this is a problem already with PS4/XB1 digital games. Not everyone has lightning internet, yet.

GameStop will do fine. XB1-SAD .. who picks these names..

My Ellie edition shipped on Wednesday, will be here tomorrow.

Was hoping to pick up the standard edition today in store, but they said they aren't doing early release.
I assume you paid for early shipping? Mine still hasn’t shipped yet. Thinking of calling my nearby GS tomorrow and ask if I can pickup a copy there if I order it online. If so, I’ll just sell my 2nd copy when it arrives via UPS whenever.

I only really traded in to GS for a little over a year so my history is a big short-sighted, but I don't think trading will be "dead-dead". Nintendo will always be able to keep resell values for much longer than PS/XB. I mean, people still pay full price for 1st party games years after 1st party games for PS/XB are $9.99 greatest hits. Looking into the 2nd half of the year, I think there might be some trading opportunity as I'm sure they will try and build their stock of used games for the holidays. Recently I've had some success reducing my "stock" of games. I traded in most of the B4G8 games back between $2 to $6 base towards TLOU2 editions, but without a +$5, the +20% bonus really doesn't do much for low value crap.
TLDR: They don't want to buyback shitty / low-value games. :(
I think they will always want to buy back popular high volume games. Stuff like Wii Sports, Gran Turismo, God of War, Halo, etc. Probably raise the TIV slightly from $0.01 to get people to come in. Problem is with COVID they don't really have any soon-to-be-last-gen systems stock building up like they probably did for PS3/XB360 so can't offer any of those pre-owned bundle deals that make great gifts.

I don't think the damage of a disc-less version of the PS5 to GameStop is going to be huge.
Personally, I think if all the game makers made the price difference between digital and physical $15 everyone would be on board. :beer: We may get a preview of the future if the launch price between the systems is > $100.... if that is the case and stock is low, I'm sure a new generation of kids are going to grow up with no discs!

I assume you paid for early shipping? Mine still hasn’t shipped yet. Thinking of calling my nearby GS tomorrow and ask if I can pickup a copy there if I order it online. If so, I’ll just sell my 2nd copy when it arrives via UPS whenever.
My standard edition shipped Tuesday and will be here tomorrow. I went with free shipping.

What does everyone think the promo amount will be on system trade in's toward next gen? As an example an XB1S was either $200 or $250 off a XB1X in 2017.

I'm most worried about what a PS4 Pro would be toward a PS5 as I will just sell my slightly used Cyberpunk X myself to pay for the majority of the series X.

What does everyone think the promo amount will be on system trade in's toward next gen? As an example an XB1S was either $200 or $250 off a XB1X in 2017.

I'm most worried about what a PS4 Pro would be toward a PS5 as I will just sell my slightly used Cyberpunk X myself to pay for the majority of the series X.
No promo. Whats the incentive? People are going to be buying them anyways. Hopefully the discless versions sit on the shelves...

My standard edition shipped Tuesday and will be here tomorrow. I went with free shipping.
Quite a different story on my end. Also went with free shipping, standard edition. JUST got an email that it has shipped and is estimated to arrive in 11 DAYS, June 29. I'm in Texas. Thanks, Gamestop.

At this point, I may just buy the digital edition tonight...just won't get the pre-order in-game bonus items...whatever.

I only really traded in to GS for a little over a year so my history is a big short-sighted, but I don't think trading will be "dead-dead". Nintendo will always be able to keep resell values for much longer than PS/XB. I mean, people still pay full price for 1st party games years after 1st party games for PS/XB are $9.99 greatest hits. Looking into the 2nd half of the year, I think there might be some trading opportunity as I'm sure they will try and build their stock of used games for the holidays. Recently I've had some success reducing my "stock" of games. I traded in most of the B4G8 games back between $2 to $6 base towards TLOU2 editions, but without a +$5, the +20% bonus really doesn't do much for low value crap.

I think they will always want to buy back popular high volume games. Stuff like Wii Sports, Gran Turismo, God of War, Halo, etc. Probably raise the TIV slightly from $0.01 to get people to come in. Problem is with COVID they don't really have any soon-to-be-last-gen systems stock building up like they probably did for PS3/XB360 so can't offer any of those pre-owned bundle deals that make great gifts.

Personally, I think if all the game makers made the price difference between digital and physical $15 everyone would be on board. :beer: We may get a preview of the future if the launch price between the systems is > $100.... if that is the case and stock is low, I'm sure a new generation of kids are going to grow up with no discs!
no physical games would be atrocious for consumer rights but pubs will not take $ off digital versions because that would negate the 20% cut they give to retailers, which goes straight to them digital price is same as retail

I’d expect X1X and PS4 Pro to net $150-$200, XB1S and PS4 slim maybe $100-125 and launch 75-80

To be fair, as I understand, the PS5 comes with a 4k Blu-Ray drive, which the vast majority of people do not own, as they are pricey.

I'd rather have the PS5 with the 4k drive, and I'll likely be looking for a 4k TV later this year. Kind of like how the PS2 introduced me to DVD's.

... digital storage space is always an issue, and will be even more so next generation ... this is a problem already with PS4/XB1 digital games. Not everyone has lightning internet, yet.

GameStop will do fine. XB1-SAD .. who picks these names..
The only problem with your logic is that publishers and their shareholders have every financial incentive to migrate consumers over to digital. At this point, roughly 1 out of 2 sales is digital, and that ratio gets even more digital as the size of the publisher gets smaller.

Sure, 4k movie publishers (and Sony as the uhd bluray developer) certainly stand to gain from PS5 sales, but 4k disc sales have in no way advanced like bluray sales have at the same stage. No doubt this is because a greater percentage of up and coming adult consumers have far less an attachment to owning physical media. They're used to having digital copies.

Gamestop's business isn't going to die in the immediate short term, but to believe the company can survive with its current large retail footprint selling used discs and novelty toys in the long term neglects where the industry is clearly headed.

May be Gamestop lives on as an equally novel, niche shop with a few strategically placed stores across the country. If it carries on as it is, it's really difficult to imagine the company being much more than that.

If you really want a Switch, $500 neon Joy-Con one on Gamestop right now. Comes with Zelda, Animal Crossing, Minecraft (digital) and a wireless Pro Controller.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/consoles/products/nintendo-switch-with-neon-joy-cons-gamer-bundle/B204620I.html
Not bad imo.

$300 Switch

$60 pro controller

$120 AC and Zelda

$20 mincecraft

You could likely stay under $200 for the exras, if you shopped around, but more work.

Surprised the bundle seems decent.

Quite a different story on my end. Also went with free shipping, standard edition. JUST got an email that it has shipped and is estimated to arrive in 11 DAYS, June 29. I'm in Texas. Thanks, Gamestop.

At this point, I may just buy the digital edition tonight...just won't get the pre-order in-game bonus items...whatever.
Sorry that sucks. My usual store got all of their LE/CE on Monday before they even got their standard copies.

Sorry that sucks. My usual store got all of their LE/CE on Monday before they even got their standard copies.
Thanks. I know, first world problems and all during a Pandemic but 11 days to get a pre-ordered game...wow. I knew I shouldn’t have ordered the game from GS...have had nothing but bad shipping experiences from them. Best Buy has been excellent in shipping new stuff to me. Just wanted to use up some GS credit.
[attachment=34193:C5FFE739-C522-4DAC-8A3E-6F342C6460B8.jpeg]

15$ off wouldn't be enough to me to buy a digital game. As many can get 10$ off at walmart physical as is iirc or on amazon for some prime games among other discount options. They would have to sweeten the pot much more than a minor discount. The thing that would be in its favor is if psn and other such credit was easier to come by discounted like it used to be. You used to be able to get psn cards for 2-3$ off once a month as pcgamesupply. I'm not against digital but between the lack of sales on digital games and physical copies usually being cheaper I don't buy digital if I can help it.

Like for example if fricken Ys 8 and octopath would go on sale for 20$ I'd probably buy that digitally since they aren't moving physically.

The only problem with your logic is that publishers and their shareholders have every financial incentive to migrate consumers over to digital. At this point, roughly 1 out of 2 sales is digital, and that ratio gets even more digital as the size of the publisher gets smaller.

Sure, 4k movie publishers (and Sony as the uhd bluray developer) certainly stand to gain from PS5 sales, but 4k disc sales have in no way advanced like bluray sales have at the same stage. No doubt this is because a greater percentage of up and coming adult consumers have far less an attachment to owning physical media. They're used to having digital copies.

Gamestop's business isn't going to die in the immediate short term, but to believe the company can survive with its current large retail footprint selling used discs and novelty toys in the long term neglects where the industry is clearly headed.

May be Gamestop lives on as an equally novel, niche shop with a few strategically placed stores across the country. If it carries on as it is, it's really difficult to imagine the company being much more than that.
It remains to be seen if low income consumers move to digital too without the ability to resell, borrow, etc. could alienate a portion of the market that’s vulnerable, tho those aren’t always early adopters. As a consumer having physical gives you access to copies of your game for decades, whereas a game could be delisted due to licensing like Tony Hawk games and Forza.

And it remains to be seen if ISP providers will make it affordable for middle and lower class Americans to have fast enough internet so that they can download all these games, barring games getting bigger over time. So as soon as 100Mb/s+ is super cheap, suddenly games will be moving to 150-200GB+

15$ off wouldn't be enough to me to buy a digital game. As many can get 10$ off at walmart physical as is iirc or on amazon for some prime games among other discount options. They would have to sweeten the pot much more than a minor discount. The thing that would be in its favor is if psn and other such credit was easier to come by discounted like it used to be. You used to be able to get psn cards for 2-3$ off once a month as pcgamesupply. I'm not against digital but between the lack of sales on digital games and physical copies usually being cheaper I don't buy digital if I can help it.

Like for example if fricken Ys 8 and octopath would go on sale for 20$ I'd probably buy that digitally since they aren't moving physically.
Hopefully he meant "15" fluidly -- such that when the game begins to age and the accepted retail price drops to 40, the digital goes to 30 or 25, down to whatever a reasonable bottom would be outside of big sales (10; 15?)

I understand what people like about digital, but will never agree that paying more or the same for a digital game that has no resell value will ever be worth it over physical media...

... excluding, perhaps, the condition of some of Gamestop's used product ;)

The best predictor of the future tends to be the past. Music and video media have gone primarily digital and outside of niche consumers (and as that sector gets smaller the production scale reduces increasing costs further shrinking the niche) media will likely continue migrating to digital and streaming over ownership. Game media is in all probability going to follow this trend and move into streaming services. It is a better value and win-win for the consumer and producer in most aspects; people will ague and have valid points against this but overall, it is a better transaction for the majority.

No I didn't upgrade my shipping.

I don't see why people pay full price ($60) for digital games. If you don't like the game or if it's single player and you beat it quickly you can't resell it. I would need to see more than $15 off to switch to all digital.

Thanks. I know, first world problems and all during a Pandemic but 11 days to get a pre-ordered game...wow. I knew I shouldn’t have ordered the game from GS...have had nothing but bad shipping experiences from them. Best Buy has been excellent in shipping new stuff to me. Just wanted to use up some GS credit.
I'm sorry see that. I don't get how they decide to ship specific items but they shipped my Ellie Ed with UPS and it's out for delivery now.

I noticed GS using UPS mail innovations more and what a god awful service that has been due to the USPS, which seems to be falling apart ever since COVID started. I had 3 packages shipped this way from GS. The first was mis-routed by the USPS leading to sit in another city for 5 days before it was delivered, the second was delivered by the UPS 3 days ago with no progress since by the USPS and the last has been "out for delivery" for 2 days now... Not sure I'm the only one but it seems like USPS packages are taking at least 3-4 days longer than they estimate and more packages are being mis-handled.

It remains to be seen if low income consumers move to digital too without the ability to resell, borrow, etc. could alienate a portion of the market that’s vulnerable, tho those aren’t always early adopters. As a consumer having physical gives you access to copies of your game for decades, whereas a game could be delisted due to licensing like Tony Hawk games and Forza.

And it remains to be seen if ISP providers will make it affordable for middle and lower class Americans to have fast enough internet so that they can download all these games, barring games getting bigger over time. So as soon as 100Mb/s+ is super cheap, suddenly games will be moving to 150-200GB+
People can borrow a good bit of your digital movies through movieanywhere screenpass. I think of my digital almost 800 can be shared, you get 3 passes per month.

The best predictor of the future tends to be the past. Music and video media have gone primarily digital and outside of niche consumers (and as that sector gets smaller the production scale reduces increasing costs further shrinking the niche) media will likely continue migrating to digital and streaming over ownership. Game media is in all probability going to follow this trend and move into streaming services. It is a better value and win-win for the consumer and producer in most aspects; people will ague and have valid points against this but overall, it is a better transaction for the majority.
it’s not a better value if it means consumers don’t truly own their games, and are only renting them until they get delisted or a console isn’t Bc in the future. With physical at the least you can always play on the original hardware. Imagine if Panzer Dragoon Saga was a digital only game back in 98, it would literally be lost to time now. But because people have ripped it you can still have access to it.

Completely agree with you on digital. Not only that but what about when you buy a game digitally and then it's given away for free (GwG/PS+). If you have a physical copy you can at least get rid of it, otherwise you're screwed and you get nothing. Or when the price drops one week later and you can't get a refund. At least most stores give you 30 days to get a price adjustment. If they allowed that on digital and reactivated my purchase code so I could at least give it away I would be more inclined to change over.

it’s not a better value if it means consumers don’t truly own their games, and are only renting them until they get delisted or a console isn’t Bc in the future. With physical at the least you can always play on the original hardware. Imagine if Panzer Dragoon Saga was a digital only game back in 98, it would literally be lost to time now. But because people have ripped it you can still have access to it.
You never "own" a game. You paid for a license to play it. That's how you can get banned for exploiting glitches, selling accounts, or modding games with outside tools. Servers getting shut down or the game being delisted are part of that too. You can say it's not fair, but you click to agree to those terms each time!

ownership is that "niche" I mentioned. many of us likely "own" movies and music in a physical form while neglecting it and using our subscription access or digital library for convenience or whatever reason... I do not deny your "ownership" argument being valid, I simply point out that it is becoming obsolete to the majority. I am a collector myself and completely agree that great titles die without any access. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in the digital age and streamlined (maybe with emulation) similar to how, for example, you can watch a DVD across hardware platforms. I see video games as art and culture as much as any other form of media and enjoy seeing it preserved and accessible, digital is likely the best chance we have of this on a large scale....

Anyone know what's in box 15?
SadPoopEmoji.jpg

Donned a mask and went to trade in some games today. Was told Gamestop is no longer accepting Wolfenstein II as a trade-in. I pointed out that the GS website still shows $5 trade credit for the game. They just said, sorry...they can’t override the system. Okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back