2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the collectors here, what is the criteria you use when choosing what games to collect? I try to focus on niche games for the switch primarily.

I say it here cause that is the only reason I still go to GameStop. For all triple A games, I really don't see the need of a dedicated game store

Has anyone tried, and had success, with trading in retro stuff lately? The trade page has always had the now taking retro banner all throughout Covid. I happen to have some stuff that they never reduced values on and I'd like to get some credit.

Rep gave me shit last week saying he couldn't return everything from an online order, something about UPS limiting their shipping or something.

Between work and terrible weather, I haven't been able to make the trek back to gamestop and won't be able to until Sunday.

I thought so. Got some pushback from one store saying used games had to be returned within 7 days of order date. I pushed back and said it takes 7 days to ship and they were reluctantly accepted "just this one time".
AFAIK, that isn't officially stated anywhere for online items, so they were probably just equating the in-store-purchase return period with online purchases.

Has anyone tried, and had success, with trading in retro stuff lately? The trade page has always had the now taking retro banner all throughout Covid. I happen to have some stuff that they never reduced values on and I'd like to get some credit.
My local store said they're going to slowly expand retro trades again but also said they're cutting back on what they take in. She specifically mentioned only taking popular titles. So it's unlikely they'll take all that fodder in.

Online returns to a gamestop store is 30 days from the order date, correct?
Negative, I tried to return one that was about 9-10 days out from the packing slip and denied a return due to outside of return period. It is my regular store I like so the associate was not giving me trouble, this must be what they are told. I did not push it since it was actually the replacement game shipping slip from a prior order and just curious what they would say if i inquired.

My local store said they're going to slowly expand retro trades again but also said they're cutting back on what they take in. She specifically mentioned only taking popular titles. So it's unlikely they'll take all that fodder in.
Who there determines "fodder?" This is the same operation that was paying like $18 on Division 2 right after pushing them out the door on 4/$10.

Final update: My controller arrived sometime after 11am today. They shipped it UPS Next Day Air. Haven't tested the controller yet but it looks to be in decent shape. The sticker in the battery compartment is damaged so I know the controller had been opened.

Update: The controller has a busted left analog stuck that is always sliding behind back. Now I gotta go through getting replacement through customer service as it's a gray and green controller so no guarantee I can get a replacement locally.

Negative, I tried to return one that was about 9-10 days out from the packing slip and denied a return due to outside of return period. It is my regular store I like so the associate was not giving me trouble, this must be what they are told. I did not push it since it was actually the replacement game shipping slip from a prior order and just curious what they would say if i inquired.
You can’t state with certainty most of GameStop’s policies because they’re not enforced hard enough. Your experience is different from most others in regards to this.

For the collectors here, what is the criteria you use when choosing what games to collect? I try to focus on niche games for the switch primarily.

I say it here cause that is the only reason I still go to GameStop. For all triple A games, I really don't see the need of a dedicated game store
I definitely have been buying up more niche and obscure games for my X1 collection with the B2G2 games. I like owning a collection of games that would be very hard to put together in a couple of years. Though for my Switch I've been buying specifically 1st party games physically (because 1st party Nintendo games retain their value and are always sought after).

Online returns to a gamestop store is 30 days from the order date, correct?
I found a page on their site recently when I was wondering the same thing that indicated it's 14 days from when the order is received (though gamestop employees have no way to confirm that unless you show them the order status page on your phone). 30 days for exchanges. Wish I could find that page again...

Even if you bought it in store the day before returns at Gamestop are notoriously difficult cause no employee wants the return on their record. A fact I've definitely used to my advantage when hunting to replace generic case art. Set 5 games on a counter and ask if they have the artwork and would be willing to let you swap and it's like 50/50 if they are cool about it. Set 5 games on a counter and say you want to return them because they arrived with generic cases and I find employees are offering to dig through their drawers and back room to find you artwork and avoid the return.

I'm just curious if anyone is aware of any other company (especially of Gamestop's size) that does this?

I would almost consider using 2 of your gift cards to buy something online and then return in store (where they will almost certainly give you cash back for the return) so that technically you can use them towards your online purchase with the third card. Had no idea of that limit. Man gamestop.com is a dumpster fire.

But hey, they went and updated the styling of the "add to cart" button and the buttons for delivery and in store pick up. That's what we were all asking for right?
That's a pretty good idea. If I'm feeling up to venturing out again though, might just pre-order it in store today...save the middle step. I don't think there's a limit to the # of gift cards you can use in person.

Who there determines "fodder?" This is the same operation that was paying like $18 on Division 2 right after pushing them out the door on 4/$10.
The "no fodder" was my wording... my thoughts are they might do more of a opt-in for trades (start with no games and then add Mario, Pokemon, Zelda games on GameCube/Wii for trade-ins) vs opt out (accept all games and then remove ones that get traded-in often but rarely sell). But you have valid point- this is GS we're talking about it so who knows..?

Final update: My controller arrived sometime after 11am today. They shipped it UPS Next Day Air. Haven't tested the controller yet but it looks to be in decent shape. The sticker in the battery compartment is damaged so I know the controller had been opened.
I'm shocked and amazed they actually got your situation right. It's been over the 3 days they said it would take to process (today is tech the 4th business day) and no email about my replacement order.

Collect games that are fun to play?

You'll go nuts if you collect every niche game, simply on a hope and a dream that it may be worth alot some time later. Most niche games are garbage - and thus not really an eye-opener - "Color a Dinosaur" .. worth alot, but -- yikes, I'd rather fold my underwear. I won't drool if someone I know owns this game.

The Switch library is possibly going to surpass even the Wii.

As example, on the NES, many Color Dreams games are uncommon / rare, but they are terrible. Their value today didn't really even catch up with inflation, though, dollar-wise, they are worth more today, until you account for inflation. Today's dollar isn't worth the dollar value in the past. Little Samson / Panic Restaurant were really fun to play, and their value superseded inflation adjusted value. They are collectible (they are also fun).

I see fewer "completionists" these days, beyond the GameCube. Collect what you think are nifty / fun titles.

GS has a few collectible titles here and there, but they are mostly RPGs / JRPGs, IMO. Atelier Ryza stuff comes to mind. .. /shrug. When GS gets the NISA ports, they are going to be hot.

Unless you have unlimited resources to fuel your collecting habits, it is better to pick a system or a genre you like or even a franchise. And make sure they are games you like. Going by a certain metacritic score is also a smart idea. I'm not saying the metacritic score is always right when it comes to your personal taste, but you are probably going to win a lot more than you lose with this method.

If you want niche games for the Switch, following a limited print publisher is probably the safest bet, like LRG. But man, LRG releases a lot of shit.

Unless you have unlimited resources to fuel your collecting habits, it is better to pick a system or a genre you like or even a franchise. And make sure they are games you like. Going by a certain metacritic score is also a smart idea. I'm not saying the metacritic score is always right when it comes to your personal taste, but you are probably going to win a lot more than you lose with this method.

If you want niche games for the Switch, following a limited print publisher is probably the safest bet, like LRG. But man, LRG releases a lot of shit.
Good suggestions. 👍

You can’t state with certainty most of GameStop’s policies because they’re not enforced hard enough. Your experience is different from most others in regards to this.
Not sure even GS can state with certainty most of GS's policies. Did not notice much chatter on the topic, where are you getting your "most others" data?

They don't do free shipping, it's a lie. They charge you shipping, but divide the shipping cost between the number of items you purchased and deduct them from the price of each item on the invoice. If you keep the item, technically you get the discounted price, and if you return it, you only get the discounted portion back and not the full amount.
If you return the full thing, then you're eating the full shipping cost
yeah, I think they charged me $6.99 shipping even though it was free super saver shipping to begin with since the order was over $35. They even taxed the 6.99 shipping. I guess the same thing would of happened if I returned it in store.

I’m sure this has been asked before but as someone who looks for deals just to build my backlog (as if I need that) what are the best deals to look out for year round? I took advantage of B5G3. Any other come to mind?
To ‘price check’ I go to price charting .com and add up the loose prices per game and make sure I spend under that.

I’m sure this has been asked before but as someone who looks for deals just to build my backlog (as if I need that) what are the best deals to look out for year round? I took advantage of B5G3. Any other come to mind?
To ‘price check’ I go to price charting .com and add up the loose prices per game and make sure I spend under that.
A few weeks ago they were doing B5G%50 off on under $30 games flash sale. Started at under $20 and they kept running them increasing the under amount. Iirc, black friday deals included B1G1. I think they did B1G2 when they got rid of PS2 stock so maybe something to watch when they end PS3 stock. People have been reporting online sale glitches, seems like it often involves under $10 stuff due to the ongoing 4/$20 or B2G2 stacking. Those are the better ones I recall.

For those wondering about online (digital) certificates and if they’re legit:

The GameStop APP says Certs are “sold out” , and doesn’t show online (digital) certs at all... However, the Certs are available from the GameStop website. Simply log-in, and you should be able to redeem your points for both In-Store Certs or Online Certs.

For 100% working online Certs;

Log-in through the GameStop Website (browser not app), and find Digital Rewards. Select your cert, and click redeem. (Here is what is new to me) I’ve had to verify my account with each Cert, through an emailed verification code. Enter the code back on the GameStop website, and you will receive a Confirmation message that you have redeemed your points.

The Cert, however, most likely won’t be visible anywhere on the website... so Open the GameStop APP, log in, and your Online Digital Cert will appear in your Digital Locker tab within the app.

Finally, the Cert will be a code. Take the Cert Code given (including the “-“s) and enter it in checkout under the PROMO option (and it can usually be combined with CAG16). Your cart should now reflect the discount.

My bad that was winded, But once you get the hang of it, it has worked for me 100% of the time for using online certs. I hope that helped anyone.

The GameStop APP says Certs are “sold out” , and doesn’t show online (digital) certs at all... However, the Certs are available from the GameStop website. Simply log-in, and you should be able to redeem your points for both In-Store Certs or Online Certs.

Log-in through the GameStop Website (browser not app), and find Digital Rewards. Select your cert, and click redeem. (Here is what is new to me) I’ve had to verify my account with each Cert, through an emailed verification code. Enter the code back on the GameStop website, and you will receive a Confirmation message that you have redeemed your points.

The Cert, however, most likely won’t be visible anywhere on the website... so Open the GameStop APP, log in, and your Online Digital Cert will appear in your Digital Locker tab within the app.

Finally, the Cert will be a code. Take the Cert Code given (including the “-“s) and enter it in checkout under the PROMO option (and it can usually be combined with CAG16). Your cart should now reflect the discount.

My bad that was winded, But once you get the hang of it, it has worked for me 100% of the time for using online certs. I hope that helped anyone.
But does anyone know what the expiration date is currently for the reward certificates? Want to use mine in Nov. for the consoles but I fear if I wait until Nov. to redeem GS will block redemptions, but don't want to redeem too early and not be able to use the certificates.

If it’s within the return period, should I be able to return/rebuy two preowned last-gen games to take advantage of the Buy One, Get One 50% off?

But does anyone know what the expiration date is currently for the reward certificates? Want to use mine in Nov. for the consoles but I fear if I wait until Nov. to redeem GS will block redemptions, but don't want to redeem too early and not be able to use the certificates.
I redeemed my points for a $5 cert at the beginning of July and the expiry date was 8/30/2020.

Certificates are generally by Quarter for expiration from the time of issue. So current one's expire in August as an example. So the next set will be end of November in theory.

My monthly 5 dollar certificate does not work online. Anyone know any tricks around this, that doesn't include going in-store?

The stores near me don't have what I am looking for.

It's kind of of odd that I have so many stores near me, yet, pretty much every switch game that I try to find is out of stock in all of them

My monthly 5 dollar certificate does not work online. Anyone know any tricks around this, that doesn't include going in-store?

The stores near me don't have what I am looking for.
It's kind of of odd that I have so many stores near me, yet, pretty much every switch game that I try to find is out of stock in all of them
No one is trading in Switch games at the moment sadly, and GS is being selective on what games they restock. They could probably run the $5 extra trade promotion through August and not dent their bottom line that bad given how desperate stores are for inventory going by what their Reddit says.

My friend in Chicago (also weary of going inside a retail store right now) was able to use the July certificate online after he combined a bunch of offers with the Honey browser extension, but outside of that you may have to go into a store to buy a $10 EShop card for $5 or something.

If you looking online, the inventory is currently -1. So unless a store has more than 1 copy, it won't show up.
It's also the restock from corporate/lack of trades factor. When my GS got a resupply of a first party Switch game this week, it wasn't Animal Crossing, or any of the games on sale, it was MK 9. The perfect game to sell someone buying a Switch, oh wait, no Switches in store ....

The only first party game my store can keep in used are the Zelda's and Let's Go Pikachu. They have a couple of 2nd party games like FE/Hyrule Warriors, Astral Chain, and DQ 11, but the rest are 3rd party stuff of varying quality that no one will touch.

No one is trading in Switch games at the moment sadly, and GS is being selective on what games they restock. They could probably run the $5 extra trade promotion through August and not dent their bottom line that bad given how desperate stores are for inventory going by what their Reddit says.

My friend in Chicago (also weary of going inside a retail store right now) was able to use the July certificate online after he combined a bunch of offers with the Honey browser extension, but outside of that you may have to go into a store to buy a $10 EShop card for $5 or something.
Interesting. I'll look into that browser extension. Thanks for the advise

Thank you. Someday, I'll attempt this.

Finished the +$5 week off strong with a few random observations. I had 4x of a bunch of games to trade in so most of the time would drop the bag off at the counter and just browse while they fumble through the stack. I guess by this point I'm a regular / recognized in most stores. If you don't have a scannable barcode they have to enter the game in manually... and that is where it gets a bit trickly. Things I've noticed:

1) they will enter in the right game but wrong system (can be good or bad)

2) they will hit enter like multiple times without noticing and proceed to the next game (so you get multiple credit for 1 game)

3) they will ring up the incorrect version of the series (can be good or bad)

4) they will ding you with a refurb fee on their own games 

5) some games over $3 will not get the +5 bonus

1 & 2 almost got me trade banned if I didn't catch the error / bonus... one store hit enter 3 times for God of War, and another store entered GoW3:Remastered as GoW. 3) is usually to my benefit (especially if they ring it up as a switch version incorrectly  :whistle2: ). 4) is always annoying but really more dependent on the associate. I'd only try and get 5) bumped if I was friendly with the SL. Definitely review your receipt and compare it to your pre-trade-in notes before leaving the store. 

Now if they really want to restock their switch first party stock... they'd need to do a CSAC promo!  :beer:

Already got my 40% of 4+ order and it seems they're now showing discount price on store packing slips, so looks like that fun is over lol.

I've noticed an INSANE amount of redbox games in circulation recently. No idea why the company allowed employees to accept them as trade ins. Those get instantly exchanged as well.

Finished the +$5 week off strong with a few random observations. I had 4x of a bunch of games to trade in so most of the time would drop the bag off at the counter and just browse while they fumble through the stack. I guess by this point I'm a regular / recognized in most stores. If you don't have a scannable barcode they have to enter the game in manually... and that is where it gets a bit trickly. Things I've noticed:

1) they will enter in the right game but wrong system (can be good or bad)

2) they will hit enter like multiple times without noticing and proceed to the next game (so you get multiple credit for 1 game)

3) they will ring up the incorrect version of the series (can be good or bad)

4) they will ding you with a refurb fee on their own games

5) some games over $3 will not get the +5 bonus

1 & 2 almost got me trade banned if I didn't catch the error / bonus... one store hit enter 3 times for God of War, and another store entered GoW3:Remastered as GoW. 3) is usually to my benefit (especially if they ring it up as a switch version incorrectly :whistle2: ). 4) is always annoying but really more dependent on the associate. I'd only try and get 5) bumped if I was friendly with the SL. Definitely review your receipt and compare it to your pre-trade-in notes before leaving the store.

Now if they really want to restock their switch first party stock... they'd need to do a CSAC promo! :beer:
Yeah, in my Redbox flipping days I would see the employees make all kinds of mistakes.

Used a $10 certificate on a new Mario Tennis aces(last day of sale) and traded in Samurai Shodown for $11.60($5 bonus), $20.62 out the door

PS it's the last day

I wish I had known about this extra $5. Been waiting for this exactly to take a couple stacks in.. guess we'll have to catch it next time

Got to the store to do my trades 15 minutes before closing and forgot my ID. Lol. Hopefully it gets extended or we see a 50% bump soon. On the other hand...I bought something I didn't plan on getting. Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back