2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my purchase/trade points as well, will give it a bit more for the coin at this point I guess. Today was busy at work and I didn't have much time to deal with waiting on hold.

One of the stores in my area was just reopened after being looted and vandalized during a protest back in June. It was completely redone. The manager told me she was part of the clean up crew and that they were only able to salvage about 5% of the store. Looks like a brand new store now. I honestly didn't think they would reopen but I guess it must be a very profitable store.

I guess we will see with how many more disc-less next gen systems sell vs the higher end backwards compatible model. The $200 diff between S and X will sway many a parent. Plus if everyone goes subscription only, there is no market for used or even digital.... If PS5's price gap is the same and Nintendo turns more of their 1st party titles to "limited physical" releases then we might be seeing GS end days... or conversion to retro store (that sells CBD oil and buys your phone!) at a much small store footprint across the US. 

On topic, GS has upgraded a "deal" -  Buy 2 new $30 games, get 50% off 1 used game... which I guess someone will like? I'm waiting for B2G1 used limit to increase to $35!

I hope GameStop survives, can’t believe I’m saying this
Well it's dying a slow death like all retail... it won't be gone overnight, but in 5 years it'll likely be a completely different company than what it is now or possibly no longer have physical stores. I complain about them all the time but it sucks losing them for physical media.

No one thinks that GameStop as it is will exist in the long run, but their financial position is incredibly strong. The financial report today showed that they have $735.1 million in cash on hand, which means they can easily survive for some time after the next consoles are released. It also makes perfect sense to close underperforming stores. Their footprint is way too large considering the state of physical games and I'm honestly surprised that they have as many stores as they do.

I think it’s a little unfair to compare closures from last year to this year. We’re in the middle of a global pandemic, of course there will be more closures. Look at how many businesses have closed permanently during all this. Next year will be the big test of whether they survive or not.
I would agree, but this report is from their last quarter and Gamestop is locked into many leases so they can't really close many stores on short notice. From now till the end of the year they will probably add more due to the pandemic but I think most of this was planned anyways if you look at the timing.

There was also lots of talk that they were making out like bandits during COVID as well just a few months ago on here.

They are making moves to survive, but they haven't really stopped the bleeding at this point.

Gotta remember, just before COVID, they had a plan for revitalizing their business - to shift some of their stores into new, "social" set-ups.  Talk about unfortunate timing.

Got my purchase/trade points as well, will give it a bit more for the coin at this point I guess. Today was busy at work and I didn't have much time to deal with waiting on hold.
FWIW the agent I spoke with said the game coin should show up 72 hours after your purchase, so you may have to call.

No one thinks that GameStop as it is will exist in the long run, but their financial position is incredibly strong. The financial report today showed that they have $735.1 million in cash on hand, which means they can easily survive for some time after the next consoles are released. It also makes perfect sense to close underperforming stores. Their footprint is way too large considering the state of physical games and I'm honestly surprised that they have as many stores as they do.
I was more or less responding to one user who was saying they hope GS simply survives. I'm not one who believes they'll be gone or bankrupt anytime soon.

I also don't understand why people feel the need to post every time GS closes a bunch of stores with the "THE END IS NIGH PEOPLE!!" mentality. I don't think it's anything new that they're downsizing their retail footprint.

Gave them a call today about my NFL21 + Avengers points, the rep claimed because the madden game was traded in within G2L time period I'm not owed the 10 dollar game coins. I called bullshit on that and they said corporate would just deduct it because they saw it being traded in. I said the ad doesn't say you can't trade it in... he applied it anyways and said it might be deducted. Avengers has no issues as I still kept my copy sealed and plan on returning it..

Edit: Yep, didn't get the 10k points for NFL21. Sigh - I give up. 

Also noticed more trade in value drops

Points for buying and trading Avengers showed up late last night. I called in yesterday morning about the Game Coin/10K points and was told they would be added within 24 hours, which they weren’t. Called again this morning and the 10K points were added immediately. The two phone conversations took a total of about 10 minutes.

What ever happened to Reggie? Did Gamestop still hire him or did that fall through?

7oJaDwj.jpg

Well it's dying a slow death like all retail... it won't be gone overnight, but in 5 years it'll likely be a completely different company than what it is now or possibly no longer have physical stores. I complain about them all the time but it sucks losing them for physical media.
Yeah, for older folks here, it's just watching another version of the slow deaths that happened to Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Everyone knew it was happening and like them, it didn't have to go that way but the companies failed to leverage the advantages when they had them, and well ... capitalism takes care of the rest.

On Game Coin did it have to be a preorder or did any purchase of the promoted title qualify? Bought 2K21 Kobe Edition at my store on Sunday since I found out about how the transfer to next gen worked and they had 1 free sell left.

For GameStop to succeed, they have to shift from merely being an intermediary (take product from supplier and sell to consumer) to producing or distributing content. Similar to how Netflix went from mailing out movies to producing and distributing content. They need a GameStop Pass service with deals from indie developers.

It’s more risky and expensive than selling dolls and t shirts so they’ll probably never try.

For GameStop to succeed, they have to shift from merely being an intermediary (take product from supplier and sell to consumer) to producing or distributing content. Similar to how Netflix went from mailing out movies to producing and distributing content. They need a GameStop Pass service with deals from indie developers.

It’s more risky and expensive than selling dolls and t shirts so they’ll probably never try.
They published like 3 or 4 games a couple of years ago but like every other inititive they've done it lasted about 1 year then went away,

Calling now to get my game coin for Avengers and a $10 coupon for the spend $60 get $10 promo from August and the guys acting like the $20 is going to come out of his pocket if he gives it to me.

I was more or less responding to one user who was saying they hope GS simply survives. I'm not one who believes they'll be gone or bankrupt anytime soon.

I also don't understand why people feel the need to post every time GS closes a bunch of stores with the "THE END IS NIGH PEOPLE!!" mentality. I don't think it's anything new that they're downsizing their retail footprint.
Completely agree. My post was more directed in general to those who are all doom and gloom. GameStop's financial position is actually much stronger than I expected at this point. They have enough liquidity to last a couple of years assuming no revenue whatsoever, so I'm not concerned at all about their short-term future.

It sucks that people are going to lose their jobs, but the reality is fewer physical game sales means fewer used copies to spread between stores. Consolidating and having fewer stores that actually have stock is going to make it easier to find stuff without going to multiple stores.

Are there any differences from the GameStop invoice slip? New releases I ordered recently, they seem to ship from the warehouse and the invoice slip looks a bit different compared from the ones that print out when pay online the the slip is printed out in store.

Well I got suckered into ordering Yakuza Collection. I was sent the standard edition, the picture online showed Day1 ed, looks like this is going back.

They published 3 games in 2016-17 and they were all stinkers.

Song of the Deep (Metacritic ~69%)
Has Been Heroes (~51%)
Deformers (~55%)

And like MSU said, they did have a short lived summer program of letting you "rent" a game. But with the shift to digital from physical, GS inventory is going to get lower and lower. This is why stores are only getting preorders plus 1 extra copy. Redbox had game rentals for a while, and they didn't find it profitable enough to keep up, and I would argue redbox had a more solid position to make it work then than GS does now.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just not that simple.

Are there any differences from the GameStop invoice slip? New releases I ordered recently, they seem to ship from the warehouse and the invoice slip looks a bit different compared from the ones that print out when pay online the the slip is printed out in store.

Well I got suckered into ordering Yakuza Collection. I was sent the standard edition, the picture online showed Day1 ed, looks like this is going back.
I haven't received anything from their warehouse in my last 4-5 orders (total of 7 games), everything's come from stores, but I noticed that store invoices look just like the warehouse invoice. And the prices reflect the game price after all discounts... even shipping.

CAG main page/Twitter feed says B2G1 free on amiibo, but I'm not seeing it. Have 3 in my cart, and they're all full price.

What are the odds the GameStop has another trade in promo like this in the near future: $5 trade-in bonus for games valued $2+. I’m hoping they have one more as my collection needs to get reduced.

What are the odds the GameStop has another trade in promo like this in the near future: $5 trade-in bonus for games valued $2+. I’m hoping they have one more as my collection needs to get reduced.

B2G1 deal on $19 games when they already have one for games under $29......sheesh the least they could have done was a B2G2 deal since it makes no sense to announce this offer. 

Just called for my missing NBA and Avengers game coins. I was on hold for 2 minutes, but then spent 20 minutes explaining what game coin is and that I should be getting 20k points to compensate. The Madden game coin call last week was done in 5 minutes; this guy had to check with his supervisor twice. It you connect with Dean, please hang up and try again.

Hopefully they'll have it sorted out next month for the inevitable perfect storm of stealth bump, 30% trade bonus, G2L, and game coin, for FIFA 21.

Just called, my wait was about 30 minutes, then since it was instore the rep said they couldn't do anything and transferred me to another dept.  I got a rep who said they got an internal communication recently and now I need to wait 7-10 days for my game coin to appear.  Tried to complain that I was told 72 hours and I wanted to use it for stuff this weekend but she just said sorry, you're going to have to deal with it.  If it's not there by the 18th I'm free to call back though and they'll address the issue!  What a crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back