2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
When your one job is selling video games, you should be able to keep a 10-day old release like Hitman 3 in stock. No X1 copies within 50 miles of me in Orlando and sold out online? Gimme a break. Thinking I need to spunk away this $450 of credit before the WSB thing bankrupts them.
To be fair Amazon pre-orders weren’t all fulfilled either, I know of at least one CAG in the collectors edition thread that hasn’t gotten theirs yet.

Remember IO Interactive is publishing this one themselves completely including the retail copies with no help from Square Enix or WB.

Edit: Amazon is completely sold out of all versions, only 3rd party sellers available & many of those are from the UK.

Is there a trade bump for PS4/XB1 as well or just current gen?
Yes if you trade toward select games. It works on any games. I had some thrift store 360 and PS3 games too.

For anyone who cares, Madden 21 and Gears 5 do not trade in as Series X games. I had to trade them toward Mario 3D World to get a 20% bump.

Got $22 for Forza 7 & $13.20 for Dark Souls 3 on XB1, not bad for those.   Along with the plain Persona 5($4.40) I got rid of since upgrading to the Royal edition,  I've got my Resident Evil Village Pre-order over halfway paid for.

Got $22 for Forza 7 & $13.20 for Dark Souls 3 on XB1, not bad for those. Along with the plain Persona 5($4.40) I got rid of since upgrading to the Royal edition, I've got my Resident Evil Village Pre-order over halfway paid for.
Why wouldn't you preorder a game. That's $34 base value for those 3 games. Put it towards 3d mario land and you would get 20% $6.80. Even if you don't want the game, you still come out ahead. That's just throwing away money.

Why wouldn't you preorder a game. That's $34 base value for those 3 games. Put it towards 3d mario land and you would get 20% $6.80. Even if you don't want the game, you still come out ahead. That's just throwing away money.
Wasn't planning on going back to GS until March to pay it off. So don't want to make an unnecessary trip out next month just to cancel a unwanted pre-order. I pre-ordered at a store that isn't my normal one. Which the one I did it at is a prestige store, in hopes that it'll survive the next round of closures to fulfill the RE pre-orders on release day in May.

Yes, but just so no one is confused, 40% is the total after both the 30% for 5+ Switch/PS5/XS and 10% Pro bonus.
Are you sure you get 40% boost (pro plus 30%)? Add says get up to 30% and that is usually code for 20% plus pro? Can you confirm thats the case because that promo ends today

I’ve been too distracted by the gme saga to grow my pile of trade ins
Hah same, but after a few things executed (buying some non-WSB stocks) I went to a few GS to capitalize on 40%. Sadly a lot of the 50% off switch stock still better off waiting for a +5.

man this bump would've been perfect if the $5 bonus is active.
Can only hope for a +5 on Sunday if the bump is still active!

is there a minimum trade value for switch games to trigger the promo?
Don't think so, I had to use a spare Civilization VI (base 5) to trigger my last set of 4 bumped switch games.

Are you sure you get 40% boost (pro plus 30%)? Ad says get up to 30% and that is usually code for 20% plus pro? Can you confirm thats the case because that promo ends today
Yep, and adding a pre-order didn't change the value.

U4K7rTC.png

Just came back from GS. Pre ordering Super Mario 3D World gets you an extra 20% trade bonus.

Yes, but just so no one is confused, 40% is the total after both the 30% for 5+ Switch/PS5/XS and 10% Pro bonus.
And are these stackable? I'll cancel my pre-order of 3D World with Amazon and partake in this shady trade-in business if so.

e.g. buy 3D World at Gamestop, trade in let's say 3 Octopath Travelers and 2 other games, get 60% total bonus credit for both, use that for New Pokemon Snap

And are these stackable? I'll cancel my pre-order of 3D World with Amazon and partake in this shady trade-in business if so.

e.g. buy 3D World at Gamestop, trade in let's say 3 Octopath Travelers and 2 other games, get 60% total bonus credit for both, use that for New Pokemon Snap
No, the only thing that stacks with these promos is Pro. You also can't trade in multiple copies of the same game in one transaction unless the employee doesn't care.

I just traded 4x copies of ps4 avengers on 4 separate days in 2 weeks (my Costco had like 15+ copies) and nothing came up related to a trade ban when I traded in switch games yesterday.

Doesn’t look like anything changed on the ban requirements there just as an FYI.

Can anyone confirm that same day trades of the same game at different stores is still ok?

I just traded 4x copies of ps4 avengers on 4 separate days in 2 weeks (my Costco had like 15+ copies) and nothing came up related to a trade ban when I traded in switch games yesterday.

Doesn’t look like anything changed on the ban requirements there just as an FYI.

Can anyone confirm that same day trades of the same game at different stores is still ok?
4 copies in a rolling 30 day period is the limit. You should be good. I have traded in 4 copies in 1 day as well without ban.

4 copies in a rolling 30 day period is the limit. You should be good. I have traded in 4 copies in 1 day as well without ban.
Thanks someone earlier this month was saying there might have been changes but looks like they must have been trade banned for other reasons.

Thanks someone earlier this month was saying there might have been changes but looks like they must have been trade banned for other reasons.
It's possible they changed it as i haven't tested the 4 copies/30 day limit in about a month.

I'm thinking they may upgrade their system to have better tracking of tradeins sooner rather than later with this large influx in cash they are going to receive from eventually issuing more stock shares.

thinking they may upgrade their system to have better tracking of tradeins sooner rather than later with this large influx in cash they are going to receive from eventually issuing more stock shares.
That would be a horrible use of resources. They should invest in fixing the damn website, app, store inventory updating, and figure out a way for us to find out what games are available while shopping in store.

That would be a horrible use of resources. They should invest in fixing the damn website, app, store inventory updating, and figure out a way for us to find out what games are available while shopping in store.
An upgraded system would account for all of the above.

got 42ea for mario odysey and octopath
xenoblade 2 shows up as 33 on the site but only went up to 39
Don’t get the rationale behind trading away Xenoblade 2 for $39 store credit. Physical copies are semi rare and I sold my extra copy for $55 recently, and that’s on the low end. I would hold onto that one

Yes if you trade toward select games. It works on any games. I had some thrift store 360 and PS3 games too.

For anyone who cares, Madden 21 and Gears 5 do not trade in as Series X games. I had to trade them toward Mario 3D World to get a 20% bump.
There is a separate Series X only version of Madden, has different color cover art & bonus MUT content.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/madden-nfl-21-next-level-edition-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s/6442229.p?skuId=6442229&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=30&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YIIFLHhPetuqQKS4ylAltM8wE81IHnLI49-RbT8qeuUrChCStAgwoRoC6hsQAvD_BwE

Don’t get the rationale behind trading away Xenoblade 2 for $39 store credit. Physical copies are semi rare and I sold my extra copy for $55 recently, and that’s on the low end. I would hold onto that one
i got it for 27 when buying copies of 13 sentinels for 30 bucks each.

ive bought 3 copies now from gs and none of them have original box personally bothers me

i believe cart only on ebay will get me less than 39 after fees

did xenoblade 2 not have a base of $30 when you traded it in? should have asked for your $3!
my gamestops the kind that gives you what the computer says and thats that so i didnt wanna bother.

I follow the thread but its been a while since I traded anything in. I remember a while back talk about some gamestops not taking games in for trade unless they were complete, is this a thing? about half the games I want to trade in would be disc and blank case only, dont really want to waste a trip if they wont take them.

i had more than 5 switch games and i said i wanted to trade towards mario 3d world and its what they gave me

U8Wolg4.png
I don't get it, it shows Mario Odyssey as $27 base TIV on the website. I thought the POS applied the promotional TIC boost to the base TIV, and then adjusted for whatever the difference is between the TIV showed under the trade in page and the guaranteed value (if the TIV is different between the TIV estimate page and say the ad, that shows the guaranteed TIV).

So for instance if it says $27 on the TIV estimate page, you would get $40.80 (see math below):

($30-$27)+$27*(1+0.1+0.3)=$40.80

It's been a long time since I traded a game that had a "guaranteed value" and I can't remember exactly how the math works out.

Edit:
Also Fire Emblem is showing $27 base on the website but your receipt only shows $35.

Is the freaking website wrong again! Sheesh, it worked fine 99% of the time before they updated it to the piece of crap it currently is.

I follow the thread but its been a while since I traded anything in. I remember a while back talk about some gamestops not taking games in for trade unless they were complete, is this a thing? about half the games I want to trade in would be disc and blank case only, dont really want to waste a trip if they wont take them.
I have never had that problem and I've been trading to GS for over a decade

I haven't had any issue with game-only trade-ins either. Even "Persona 5 Steelbook Edition" was taken in just a yellow sleeve! O:) (I bought multiple copies trying to get steelbook+sleeve, one came in a persona 5 case.)

I don't get it, it shows Mario Odyssey as $27 base TIV on the website. I thought the POS applied the promotional TIC boost to the base TIV, and then adjusted for whatever the difference is between the TIV showed under the trade in page and the guaranteed value (if the TIV is different between the TIV estimate page and say the ad, that shows the guaranteed TIV).

So for instance if it says $27 on the TIV estimate page, you would get $40.80 (see math below):

($30-$27)+$27*(1+0.1+0.3)=$40.80

It's been a long time since I traded a game that had a "guaranteed value" and I can't remember exactly how the math works out.

Edit:
Also Fire Emblem is showing $27 base on the website but your receipt only shows $35.

Is the freaking website wrong again! Sheesh, it worked fine 99% of the time before they updated it to the piece of crap it currently is.
They must have traded before friday when odyssey value was $30 base and fire emblem was $25. They updated on Friday to 27 base for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back