2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never knew that about Persona Q. That is a shame. I checked my launch copy from the CE and it worked and started the game but I would probably play digital whenever I end up playing it just because I wouldn't want my game to crash halfway or something
Yeah I read that even if it seems like the carts are working at first it can randomly fail while in the game at any point.

I don't usually get packages from FedEx but I have had three shipments from them come within 10 miles of my house, travel 250 miles north and then return to my area to be delivered. That doesn't seem very efficient.

the xenoblade 1 collectors came unsealed 

but the stickers werent too nasty and has minimal wear on it, game inside has no shrink wrap on it and had a sticker and wear on the cover

they also sent me trauma center 2 instead of 1

and sent me 2 vita games instead of the 2 3ds games i ordered

ctKazdJ.jpg

looks like they intentionally made it so you can't get an item for free with the $5 monthly coupon online. Still getting an error this month.
It's been this way since sometime last year. You used to be able to use the coupon and get games for $5 or less for free. Now they changed it so it doesn't work that way online and it just gives you an error if the total is $0. I wish GS would focus on making the company better for consumers instead of finding petty new ways to devalue the program with new restrictions. If some guy wants to use his coupon for an old Madden or one of their $5 or less games that they will probably end up throwing away anyway then why not?

It's been this way since sometime last year. You used to be able to use the coupon and get games for $5 or less for free. Now they changed it so it doesn't work that way online and it just gives you an error if the total is $0. I wish GS would focus on making the company better for consumers instead of finding petty new ways to devalue the program with new restrictions. If some guy wants to use his coupon for an old Madden or one of their $5 or less games that they will probably end up throwing away anyway then why not?
I think dec was the last time i got a free item. my coupon didn't work online in jan after i used it in store.

Question:  If I were to be lucky enough to snag a PS5 from Gamestop online (bundle or otherwise) and pay with my debit card for the sake of speed/convenience, I could I then return it to the local store for a refund, then rebuy it with trade credit?  If I can do this, would the store SL hate me?  :razz:

Question: If I were to be lucky enough to snag a PS5 from Gamestop online (bundle or otherwise) and pay with my debit card for the sake of speed/convenience, I could I then return it to the local store for a refund, then rebuy it with trade credit? If I can do this, would the store SL hate me? :razz:
I have done this at my store twice but they like me. It probably matters how well you know the employees.

I have done this at my store twice but they like me. It probably matters how well you know the employees.
Well, if there are drops today, I might just have to do trial by fire. If there aren't any drops this week, I will ask the SL when I am in the neighborhood this coming weekend.

UPDATE: BWAHAHAHA I was a fool for thinking I would get one - actually, I could have got the $759 bundle, but I didn't really want to try returning part of the bundle and keeping the rest given the return/rebuy plan.

3 orders came and 2 yesterday. Angry birds starwars vita cart only in generic case
Walking dead cart only in a clear little plastic holder
Super Beat Xonic ps4 x2 both generic case only with one of the disc chipped.
Tokyo ghoul ps4 complete. This was a refilled order since they never shipped the original one from 2 months ago.
Wonderful 101 switch complete same as tokyo ghoul.
Ni no kuni switch cart only in yellow sleeve.
Poi x2 switch both complete.

I can't believe GameStop had lower sales in 2020 than in 2019. Software sales down 25%. They kept heralding the next gen consoles but they're here in such small numbers and with hardly any games.

That's why I haven't gotten a PS5 yet. I could play Miles Morales on the PS4. Waiting on something major like the new God of War before I bite.

I can't believe GameStop had lower sales in 2020 than in 2019. Software sales down 25%. They kept heralding the next gen consoles but they're here in such small numbers and with hardly any games.

Low numbers are probably because of the pandemic. They get a large portion of their sales from used games and merch which people normally buy in store. But in several states their stores were either closed due to lockdowns or had very low in store visitors due to people distancing. They also still closed down a lot of stores last year too.

I can see how that would make them earn less last year with fewer shoppers. Helps that this gen came out in November, so they only had a large sales boost from the holidays. 

Low numbers are probably because of the pandemic. They get a large portion of their sales from used games and merch which people normally buy in store. But in several states their stores were either closed due to lockdowns or had very low in store visitors due to people distancing. They also still closed down a lot of stores last year too.

I can see how that would make them earn less last year with fewer shoppers. Helps that this gen came out in November, so they only had a large sales boost from the holidays.
I thought even with people just buying online, the pandemic rush for all generations of video games and systems would have more than compensated for stores being closed.

It's hard to impulse buy when you're shopping online especially when they require you spend x amount to get free shipping. These type of stores thrive off those impulse buyers buying $5 used games (a good amount of games aren't sold / shipped from online either), pro memberships and merch (shirts, socks, etc.).

Online works great for Walmart and Amazon but not a place like Gamestop who doesn't have the online inventory and high shipping prices. 

They still did ok, but makes sense that their revenue dropped.

It's almost as if setting out booby traps for the hands that feed you, then charging more than your competitors and having less stock and smugly asking if they preordered when someone wants to buy a new game that just released would have negative consequences for the bottom line.

Today I had a n3ds xl delivered from a bundle I purchased last week.  Namely, the "New Nintendo 3DS XL RPG Adventure Blast from the Past Premium Refurbished System Bundle"

The console (red color) is in pretty good condition with top IPS / lower TN screens.  Happy with that.

This particular bundle was unaffected by the recent price increase on 3ds consoles.  With a montly $5 cert applied, it was split the following way:

$97.84 Console
$26.08 Fire Emblem Awakening
$13.02 Pokemon Moon
$13.04 Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Has anyone seen mh4u trade in at >$10 lately?  Otherwise I might attempt a return on that one item.

I thought even with people just buying online, the pandemic rush for all generations of video games and systems would have more than compensated for stores being closed.
they ran out of consoles in like April. They couldn’t sell what they didn’t have and they spent most of the year only having 25-50% of customers in stores. It only makes sense sales would be down

Well, the random DSi XL console I ordered finally came and as expected, was pretty scratched to heck on the outside. The screens looked fine, and probably the best way to play DS games even if the resolution is low compared to current gen. Did get a complete Advance Wars DS and what looks like a legit cartridge. (Usually if there are multiple progressed save files like this cart I feel better)  :) 

Switch games not having on-cart save games is going to drastically lower the nostalgia value for our kids down the road! 

1hbeMjv.png

Unless I'm mistaken, they've stopped doing gamecoin, haven't they? That was a step in the right direction even though I didn't utilize that once. There is literally no reason to buy New/Preorder through GS when at least two other retailers sell games for $10 (or the equivalent) off on release, and even then you're still paying $50 compared to $60 with a "coupon". Guess that's where they're taking the biggest hit still, as the 50% off sales they started doing were absolutely incredible.
Nope still doing that. Balan Wonderland comes out Friday has the coins.

Unless I'm mistaken, they've stopped doing gamecoin, haven't they? That was a step in the right direction even though I didn't utilize that once. There is literally no reason to buy New/Preorder through GS when at least two other retailers sell games for $10 (or the equivalent) off on release, and even then you're still paying $50 compared to $60 with a "coupon". Guess that's where they're taking the biggest hit still, as the 50% off sales they started doing were absolutely incredible.
Nope still doing that. Balan Wonderland comes out Friday has the coins.
Not only that, but NieR Replicant will also have the coins:

http://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1373620703036051458

they ran out of consoles in like April. They couldn’t sell what they didn’t have and they spent most of the year only having 25-50% of customers in stores. It only makes sense sales would be down
They could’ve started a mail in trading program but instead sat there and let their most profitable business segment stagnant.

You guys think GS will ever restore the in store stock locator where it actually works for store stock for items where the store only has 1 copy? Put off a few PS4 games that GS had for a reasonable price and it was nice to be able to just check stock vs trying to get an employee to do it. 

You guys think GS will ever restore the in store stock locator where it actually works for store stock for items where the store only has 1 copy? Put off a few PS4 games that GS had for a reasonable price and it was nice to be able to just check stock vs trying to get an employee to do it.
It will probably happen again at some point. But unpredictably. The last time I saw the site accurately showing store inventory was the last week of 2020. Finding a use for the $5 cert online has been much more difficult since then.

A question of my own: Does an instore purchase of a digital game (FE: Shadow Dragon) work with the monthly $5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back