2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the protocol for same day orders…are we supposed to tip? I’m old and never used food delivery before. I thought you tipped from the food delivery app but if GameStop pays them, I don’t know how this is supposed to go. We tape $2 to the door? Surely not…

Are the $5 monthly coupons still usable both online and in-stores? I just tried applying it to my B2G1 order to try lowering my most expensive game by $5.

What’s the protocol for same day orders…are we supposed to tip? I’m old and never used food delivery before. I thought you tipped from the food delivery app but if GameStop pays them, I don’t know how this is supposed to go. We tape $2 to the door? Surely not…
Yes, you should tip. They are making like $8/hr to drive to your house to drop off stuff. Tip them.

I disagree. You don't pay their salary. They work for a huge corporation and it's not the customer's job to be responsible for the worker's salary. Tipping culture in the U.S. is getting more out of control where customers are somehow being guilted into being responsible for paying employees wages so that they bosses and CEOs can afford another mansion. Even takeout restaurants now ask if you want tips which is ridiculous. You bagged up my food and handed it to me, you don't get a tip for that. That's not serving me at a restaurant, sorry. Are we going to tip the mailman next? McDonalds?

I disagree. You don't pay their salary. They work for a huge corporation and it's not the customer's job to be responsible for the worker's salary. Tipping culture in the U.S. is getting more out of control where customers are somehow being guilted into being responsible for paying employees wages so that they bosses and CEOs can afford another mansion. Even takeout restaurants now ask if you want tips which is ridiculous. You bagged up my food and handed it to me, you don't get a tip for that. That's not serving me at a restaurant, sorry. Are we going to tip the mailman next? McDonalds?
I agree with not tipping at a fast food restaurant, but the question asked was in regards to tipping a driver that is delivering an item to you. Do you not tip a pizza delivery driver?

Are the $5 monthly coupons still usable both online and in-stores? I just tried applying it to my B2G1 order to try lowering my most expensive game by $5.
I don't think you can use the $5 coupon when there is a promo (buy 2 get 1 free). Didn't work for me.

You sound like a real piece of work. While tipping shouldn't be used to subsidize wages, it can be used to thank someone for going above and beyond what is generally expected in their regular role and responsibilities. If GS is paying a clerk $8 an hour to run the register, stock the shelves, and ship out products from the store, then get in their personal vehicle to deliver me an Amiibo, I'm going to tip them. Food service and retail jobs are horrific as it already is, why not make their day a bit better?

In regards to takeout services, if they are staffed by tipped/waitstaff, they are only making $2.25 or so base an hour, so they are getting fucked if you didn't tip them for your to-go order being put together/rung up as it means they aren't waiting a table. And it sounds like you don't thank service workers like your local USPS or garbage person during the holidays either.

In regards to takeout services, if they are staffed by tipped/waitstaff, they are only making $2.25 or so base an hour, so they are getting fucked if you didn't tip them for your to-go order being put together/rung up as it means they aren't waiting a table. And it sounds like you don't thank service workers like your local USPS or garbage person during the holidays either.
This is somewhat misleading. No tipped wage worker should be making under the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour under the Fair Labor Standards Act. If the tipped wage worker doesn't make at least minimum wage after their hourly tipped wage (lowest being $2.13/hour) + tips, their employer has to pay the difference.

Biggest problem with that is the million dollar industry of wage theft where employers lie about how much you made in tips so they can avoid paying that difference, and since there is no paper trail for your cash tips, it's their word against yours. Also doesn't help the other million dollar tax fraud and tax evasion done by tipped workers who report less than their cash earnings to avoid paying the same amount of taxes that any other person has to pay but can't lie to get out of.

Most of these issues could be solved by removing the tipped wage and making all workers make at least minimum wage. They could still receive tips but be guaranteed, at all times, a base wage that doesn't put them below the poverty line. But servers and tipped workers think this current method is helping them. Which is ironic seeing as most tipped wage workers can barely afford rent but lobbying to place blame on customers instead of laws and the industry has been very effective.

They are getting fucked though, but only because tipping exist. The law wouldn't even be here if tipping wasn't expected. Employers would be forced to pay workers more and wouldn't have these loop holes to steal from them. But the restaurant business and industry spends millions a year to keep the tip wage low, minimum wage low and these loop holes here to stay, and they do it all with your tips and donations. Tip if you feel, but the blame isn't on paying customers choosing not to tip more, it's on businesses who actively work to keep workers earning less.

They are not GS clerks, just DoorDash employees.
They probably get paid jackshit (same-day delivery fee before discount was $3 for me) so I imagine a tip is expected. Of course there is no way to do this through the GS website, so what you said is probably the way to go.
Honestly, I'd rather same-day cost be higher in general than have to deal with the headache of a tip but obviously GS wants to keep it an affordable option. Either way, I've yet to use it outside of these promo periods with rarer items.

This is somewhat misleading. No tipped wage worker should be making under the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour under the Fair Labor Standards Act. If the tipped wage worker doesn't make at least minimum wage after their hourly tipped wage (lowest being $2.13/hour) + tips, their employer has to pay the difference.

Biggest problem with that is the million dollar industry of wage theft where employers lie about how much you made in tips so they can avoid paying that difference, and since there is no paper trail for your cash tips, it's their word against yours. Also doesn't help the other million dollar tax fraud and tax evasion done by tipped workers who report less than their cash earnings to avoid paying the same amount of taxes that any other person has to pay but can't lie to get out of.

Most of these issues could be solved by removing the tipped wage and making all workers make at least minimum wage. They could still receive tips but be guaranteed, at all times, a base wage that doesn't put them below the poverty line. But servers and tipped workers think this current method is helping them. Which is ironic seeing as most tipped wage workers can barely afford rent but lobbying to place blame on customers instead of laws and the industry has been very effective.

They are getting fucked though, but only because tipping exist. The law wouldn't even be here if tipping wasn't expected. Employers would be forced to pay workers more and wouldn't have these loop holes to steal from them. But the restaurant business and industry spends millions a year to keep the tip wage low, minimum wage low and these loop holes here to stay, and they do it all with your tips and donations. Tip if you feel, but the blame isn't on paying customers choosing not to tip more, it's on businesses who actively work to keep workers earning less.
Having previously worked in food service long ago, and still knowing people in the industry, it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, yes you are right, they are to be "trued up" if they didn't make at least minimum wage during a pay period when factoring in tips. But there are rampant shenanigans here as well, let's say one night you get $100 in tips and then the next night you get $5 total in tips. What should happen versus what does happen - varies quite a bit. And it shouldn't.

There are multiple layers to this, look at what happens with restaurants that pay a flat rate where tipping is not expected. They generally lose their best waitstaff, who to your point, can make more elsewhere.

I do agree that we shouldn't obfuscate true costs through subsidies. It's a mess, for sure. I just don't want the average working person's life harder. I vote with my wallet by not supporting shitty employers when I can.

I agree with some of the thoughts and comments here but also think the system is set up to be just gray enough to hose the employees and defend their position of not tipping minimum wage and should vs actuality usually errs to corporation. I also think it’s been so engrained/entrenched the only overhaul at this point would to adopt wide sweeping laws for living wages but like you said - would never fly since corporations spend millions to keep it that way.
- for example, while waiting tables, I got to work Saturday mornings which included mandatory cleaning 9-11 before we opened and no customers were present. I.e min wage of 2.13 in my state at that time,I asked for minimum wage but they said I’d average above that in the day to clean a restaurant.while it should balance out and me making more than $7 an hour , is that before or after I had to tip out bus boy and bartenders too? Usually you have to give them a percentage of your tips too(2%, 5%, etc).
- I also had a few tables of young teenagers who ordered fries, sodas, and dine/dashed because we had no hostess and had to cover that expense, manager wouldn’t override and blamed me while waiting on other tables. (They we’re kids- it was fries and fountain soda. I didn’t care but dumb ruling)
-I agree with your later arguments too and saw that when I lived in Switzerland short term, like other EU countries, a server has a base salary too to live off of and had living wages for their work. Something like that might help overall but also US is not set up that way and we want everything to be convenient, available and cheap.
-TIP was also rooted in To Insure Promptness in English tea houses so that you got your shit fast and efficiently before the next lad did. Just another anecdote of its history

In summary, at least tip the people a thank you or appreciation when you can and if you can afford to give them a decent tip, even better. And for the people handing you your food and bagging your stuff up; even a buck is a thank you that can equate to a lot. That’s it. Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk

Having previously worked in food service long ago, and still knowing people in the industry, it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, yes you are right, they are to be "trued up" if they didn't make at least minimum wage during a pay period when factoring in tips. But there are rampant shenanigans here as well, let's say one night you get $100 in tips and then the next night you get $5 total in tips. What should happen versus what does happen - varies quite a bit. And it shouldn't.

There are multiple layers to this, look at what happens with restaurants that pay a flat rate where tipping is not expected. They generally lose their best waitstaff, who to your point, can make more elsewhere.

I do agree that we shouldn't obfuscate true costs through subsidies. It's a mess, for sure. I just don't want the average working person's life harder. I vote with my wallet by not supporting shitty employers when I can.

I’m with TOGW. It’s not my job to make sure the wait staff is making enough to cover their bills, same as it isn't my customer’s job to make sure I am. Charge me more for my plate of food, and pay your staff. (But the wait staff doesnt really want the guaranteed hourly wage, they want the tips because they know that overall they do better the way it is now.)

is that before or after I had to tip out bus boy and bartenders too? Usually you have to give them a percentage of your tips too(2%, 5%, etc).
I agree with your entire points. It's complicated and there is room for improvement, which isn't likely to happen as people feel guilted to tip and the industry heavily lobbies to keep laws exactly how they are.

But I do want to point out that tip out should be illegal too but won't be as you agreed to it. An employer doesn't have to share your tips with others, but you signed a contract allowing them to spread your money to others. Most will say they wouldn't have the job if they didn't, which is true, but hard to complain about such things when servers agree to having their money divided for others, instead of employers just paying back of house staff better wages. But why do that when they can take your money to do so.

I also had a few tables of young teenagers who ordered fries, sodas, and dine/dashed because we had no hostess and had to cover that expense
This one is a bit more complicated. It actually isn't your responsibility to pay for people who dine and dash, but employers again guilt you, the worker, into thinking it's your fault and charge you for it. Which it isn't legal to charge servers for this (if that charge doesn't make the employer earn under minimum wage that is, some states are an outright no though), but people rather keep their low paying jobs and blame other customers instead of management or the dine and dashers.

There are resources out there to complain about such things too, like contacting the Department of Labor, but again, employers have successfully changed the culture of servers, tipping and blame to be away from them and on customers and employees, so very few people complain about these practices.

Not sure if it was just my stores, but I was told most Gamestops are now putting most of the current gen systems traded-in and certain pre-owned games on indefinite hold in preparation for the holiday season. I can only guess there will will try and stock some type of pre-owned system bundles to sell all the desperate grandparents who can't find those PS5/XBSXs.  :oldman:

Off topic but anyone know what happens to your $5 monthly reward if you return the game you used it on? Does the original reward still work or is it lost?

I can't access my PowerUp Rewards account on the mobile app or online.  Does anyone know if I can redeem the points on my account in store?  

CS is giving me the option to make a new account with a new email, but rather not do that in case something like this happens again.  Don't really shop at GameStop often, as Best Buy is my preferred option, but those monthly $5 rewards are clutch.

Paypal gave me $10 off my next purchase so I caved and bought Blue Reflection: Second Light, Mary Skelter Finale, and The Caligula Effect 2 in the B2G1 free deal. All for PS4 and all in new condition(hopefully). I forgot to use my monthly cert on it though. The cert probably would not have worked.

Not sure if it was just my stores, but I was told most Gamestops are now putting most of the current gen systems traded-in and certain pre-owned games on indefinite hold in preparation for the holiday season. I can only guess there will will try and stock some type of pre-owned system bundles to sell all the desperate grandparents who can't find those PS5/XBSXs. :oldman:
Makes no difference really. Rather it go to them then a scalper.

Boy, according to Gamestop's website, I slept past Thanksgiving and most of December as it's telling me I can order last minute Christmas gifts.
Honestly, I was at Target tonight and the toy shelves are already starting to look bare. Lots of moms with their kids picking stuff out too. Felt like it was the day after Christmas Day TBH. So weird.

Hmm... when I used the link posted over at slickdeals, I saw a LOT more Switch games as part of the b2g1 promo than I saw when using a similar link here. Maybe I just had bad timing?

There's a lot of first party stuff listed, but nothing I'm picking up yet.

https://www.gamestop.com/search/pre-owned/?pmid=27642-GeneralPromos-111121-Buy2G1FreePreOwnedGames&prefn1=buryMaster&prefn2=platform&prefv1=In+Stock&prefv2=Nintendo+Switch&view=new&tileView=list
They've been updating the eligibility. For example, a couple hours ago the Ubisoft titles (WD, AC, Immortals, etc.) weren't eligible new but now are. Still am not seeing anything really worth it with everything being full price.

Hey can anyone confirm if cashiers can view my online or instore purchase history when they pull up my account instore?
Gamestop can view your last FIVE purchases when you give them the number to your account. Online or in store. The employee turned his point of sale monitor around and showed me my last five purchases.

Gamestop can view your last FIVE purchases when you give them the number to your account. Online or in store. The employee turned his point of sale monitor around and showed me my last five purchases.
I guess along those lines - can they see your last 5 trade-ins as well? O:)

Hmm... when I used the link posted over at slickdeals, I saw a LOT more Switch games as part of the b2g1 promo than I saw when using a similar link here. Maybe I just had bad timing?

There's a lot of first party stuff listed, but nothing I'm picking up yet.

https://www.gamestop.com/search/pre-owned/?pmid=27642-GeneralPromos-111121-Buy2G1FreePreOwnedGames&prefn1=buryMaster&prefn2=platform&prefv1=In+Stock&prefv2=Nintendo+Switch&view=new&tileView=list
you are mixing new and used, the link you used from here was probably for the new games, which is far more limited for nintendo switch games.

For this buy 2 get 1 used sale, how do they show up on your order receipt?  Do they show 2 games at full price and 1 free or do they pro-rate the discount across all of them?  I ask because I anticipate having to return at least 1 game for various reasons and don't want to end up getting screwed if it happens to be the "free" one.

For this buy 2 get 1 used sale, how do they show up on your order receipt? Do they show 2 games at full price and 1 free or do they pro-rate the discount across all of them? I ask because I anticipate having to return at least 1 game for various reasons and don't want to end up getting screwed if it happens to be the "free" one.
2 full, 1 free. if you return any you have to pay full price for the other 2.

I guess along those lines - can they see your last 5 trade-ins as well? O:)
haha no. they can't see trade-ins.

That being said just to clarify, it's the last 5 items purchased, not the last 5 purchases(transactions). also game + GPG counts as 2 items in that 5 purchase list.

additionally if they want to, yes they can also search on the web system for your online orders and see ALL of those, not limited to recent.

haha no. they can't see trade-ins.

That being said just to clarify, it's the last 5 items purchased, not the last 5 purchases(transactions). also game + GPG counts as 2 items in that 5 purchase list.

additionally if they want to, yes they can also search on the web system for your online orders and see ALL of those, not limited to recent.
Thanks, that's good info. I'll order more stuff to flip to cover my flipping tracks!

They can see both instore and web order corrects?

Anyone try to do the B2G1 in store last night or today? I know the website states it is available in store, so I want to hit up a local store to grab the 2 games I have on backorder at Target (Blue Reflection: Second Light & Caligula Effect 2) plus grab Undernauts so I don't have to wait for shipping.

Is game coin for in-store only?
Terms don't indicate that:

PowerUp Rewards Members who purchase Shin Megami Tensei V are eligible for $10 Game Coin! PowerUp members get $10 Game Coin when you purchase Shin Megami Tensei V from 11/12/21 – 11/18/21. Game Coin is delivered to member’s active offers within 48 hours of 11/18/21. Coupon is valid until 12/2/21. Limit one per customer. Taxes and shipping may apply. Terms subject to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back