The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

since no one is willing to help me does anyone know a good printing place online or offline that can print them for me

Kinkos and OfficeMax will do it.

But I honestly don't see how your printer could not be good enough. It only needs to be able to print 300 DPI, which most consumer printers have been doing for 6 or 7 years? Just get legal-size paper and print.

Or use Officemax/Kinkos if you want to save yourself the trouble/ink.

[quote name='jay52886']since no one is willing to help me does anyone know a good printing place online or offline that can print them for me[/QUOTE]
did you read my post where i told you to go to a print shop? looks them up in the phone book, the best national chain price ive found is $0.89 per page at office depot

[quote name='slash000']

JKAM - if you tell me the dimensions of the case that you have, of the front/back and spine, in inches, I can alter the Goldeneye and Zelda covers to those dimensions so you can try it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Well I tried resizing your Goldeneye one to fit my case and the height is 6.75 inches. I tried the width at 11.75 inches but it was just a bit too big so I have to try a few more to get it right. The height is a little bit shorter because I am going by where the DVD like plastic sleeve begins and starts as opposed to the entire length of the case. It isn't that much of a difference. The only other thing is the spine measures about 1.2 inches so the spine graphic will have to be a little bit wider. When I printed this out it still looked good with the resized dimensions.

Unfortunately I don't have any boxes otherwise I would try to start up a template.

As for the ones you have done...they look great....but do you really need to swap the graphics to be horizontal? Meaning why not just leave the graphics vertical like the original box? I guess I am just more worried about the spine sitting on the shelf rather than the front artwork.

Also the universal cases hold SNES games with the dust covers so those could be done in addition to N64 games if anyone is intrested in that.

I would love to have the ones for SNES as well.

Also, I kind of agree about the horizontal vs vertical graphics. The vertical ones look amazing, but it seems like it would take too many man-hours to really be able to create a lot of them. Plus there's something to be said for having the original box art more exactly as it was (more or less, due to some resizing if necessary).

I just did some extensive looking and Media Shelving is the only person who sells those stupid cases. I have 3 N64 games and 10 or so SNES games. I am totally not dropping $40 on 100 cases for those.

[quote name='jkam']
As for the ones you have done...they look great....but do you really need to swap the graphics to be horizontal? Meaning why not just leave the graphics vertical like the original box? I guess I am just more worried about the spine sitting on the shelf rather than the front artwork. [/QUOTE]

I'm not understanding this question.

The original N64 boxes are oriented horizontally. The cases I own are oriented vertically, like DVD cases or the GBA/DS cases. If I didn't alter the cover art to make them vertical, I'd have to use the boxes' original horizontal orientation, which means that standing upright (like DVD or GBA cases), the logos and text and everything would be sideways.. Leme post a pic when I get home.

But it is true that reconfiguring these things is time consuming. And I'm with snowcone in not wanting to pay $40 for 100 cases for my mere 20 N64 games.

too bad I only have just a few of these cases I've already covered...

[quote name='slash000']I'm not understanding this question.

The original N64 boxes are oriented horizontally. The cases I own are oriented vertically, like DVD cases or the GBA/DS cases. If I didn't alter the cover art to make them vertical, I'd have to use the boxes' original horizontal orientation, which means that standing upright (like DVD or GBA cases), the logos and text and everything would be sideways.. Leme post a pic when I get home.

But it is true that reconfiguring these things is time consuming. And I'm with snowcone in not wanting to pay $40 for 100 cases for my mere 20 N64 games.

too bad I only have just a few of these cases I've already covered...[/QUOTE]

I just mean why not keep them the same as the original N64 boxes (horizontal)? Basically so you don't have to do the extra work. I was just saying for myself the spine would be more important than the front cover so I could see them when they are lined up on my shelf. The ones you did definitely look sweet though.

As for the cases maybe one of you could buy the 100 and then split them up between you if enough people are intrested.

Yes, to expand on what jkam said, the spine graphics would be just like you have them, so when the games are all on the shelf it looks normal. When you pulled the game off the shelf the graphics would be sideways/horizontal, but that doesn't really matter because you can just rotate the case in your hand if you want to examine the insert (or if it's just sitting on the floor or whatever). Basically, you won't see that the inserts are oriented "the wrong way" while the boxes are on the shelf, right?

Also, for the record, I'd be willing to go in on the cases with you guys. I have 13 unboxed N64 games and 17 SNES games. I'm sure we could use up all 100 among us.

If this project gets off the ground with enough inserts, I'd be willing to buy the case and then ship you guys the amount you need (after you send me $$ of course).

I'll chip in $$ if you're willing to send me some cases, BackLash.

As for orientation, I really don't care either way, as long as we come up with a concensus. I made this graphic to demonstrate the differences between a regular DVD cased game, the horizontally-oriented case, and the vertically-oriented case:

img12wj.jpg

(the images are rendered proportionally to one another, so that you can see that these N64 cases are roughly the same height and depth of a DVD case, although about 2x as thick)

another comparison:
sizeds0my.jpg

This would be how it would look if it were only pieced together from scans directly, as you can see by the spine. We could use a new N64 logo for the spine, a vertical one, to just paste over the sideways one, if we wanted (like the vertical ones). But like I said, either way is cool with me.

Just my 2 cents:
I would prefer to maintain the orientation of the original N64 boxes - not just because it would be easier, but also as a bit of a tribute to the original design.
I love the idea of extending the red bar through the spine, and also the vertical N63 symbol.

As for the cases - I would be more than willing to go in on some boxes with you guys - I could use around 20 total (SNES & N64). Also, I would be more than happy to photoshop some of these things if someone gets me boxart...I'd hate for slash to have to do them all by himself!

Hmm I don't see your pics slash. I'd be willing to do some scans, but I probably have the same problem everyone else has - no boxes. I actually did save them all for years, but I threw them away before I moved to TX :(

i have a F-zero for SNES and Perfect Dark Boxes.. i wouldn't know how to scan them so if i could get a heads up on how to do that i would donate those two the project.

[quote name='Backlash']Hmm I don't see your pics slash. I'd be willing to do some scans, but I probably have the same problem everyone else has - no boxes. I actually did save them all for years, but I threw them away before I moved to TX :([/QUOTE]

That's weird, maybe ImageShack is having trouble. You should be able to see them now, if not, i'll put them on photobucket.

I have most of my original boxes, and I intendo to scan them all for this project. I have about 8 boxes. I think between us and anyone else who wants to contribute we could hit the main ones, and I (and whoever else) could put together ones we're missing from internet artwork (I did this a great deal for the GBA case project). But that is of course last resort.

[quote name='organicow']Just my 2 cents:
I would prefer to maintain the orientation of the original N64 boxes - not just because it would be easier, but also as a bit of a tribute to the original design.
I love the idea of extending the red bar through the spine, and also the vertical N63 symbol.

As for the cases - I would be more than willing to go in on some boxes with you guys - I could use around 20 total (SNES & N64). Also, I would be more than happy to photoshop some of these things if someone gets me boxart...I'd hate for slash to have to do them all by himself![/QUOTE]

Ok, I think we should go with horizontal orientation of the original boxes to make this project more feasible, but to have the red bar extend through the spine along with a vertical N64 logo. We did that sorta thing for the GBA project and it worked out well.

[quote name='urzishra14']i have a F-zero for SNES and Perfect Dark Boxes.. i wouldn't know how to scan them so if i could get a heads up on how to do that i would donate those two the project.[/QUOTE]

I guess the next step would be to ask SnowCone for some server space for this, then we'll have an official place to start submitting these.

I am having trouble printing the gba box slips please give me some help in steps I am using an HP PSC 950 , Picture It premium, and office depot premium gloss presentation paper 8 1/2 x 11

[quote name='jay52886']I am having trouble printing the gba box slips please give me some help in steps I am using an HP PSC 950 , Picture It premium, and office depot premium gloss presentation paper 8 1/2 x 11[/QUOTE]

It's hard to say what's wrong without more info.

What you need to do is make sure your software recognizes the images as 300 DPI images when it prints. It needs to do this in order for them to come out the right size. Most of us have used Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or the free GIMP editors for this purpose.

Secondly, you either need a borderless printer or some legal-size paper for this to work. The reason is because the covers are 10.867 inches long and 4.567 inches wide. Most printers will not fit this properly onto regular 8.5x11'' paper. I recommend buying some good, bright white (90+ brightness) paper for this.

Which brings me to my next point. Glossy paper is not a necessity. In fact many people have had trouble getting their thick glossy paper to fold easily enough when inserted into the cases. Even regular, bright white paper looks good when inserted, and the clear pocket holding the covers in add their own glossy look anyway.

Another idea, as opposed to directly printing these from photo editing software, is that you could use a word processor to load, size, and print the image. If you open Microsoft Word, tell Page Setup to use Landscape and Legal Size Paper, and then go Insert, Picture, From File, and insert the cover image, you could then size the image on the page to exactly 10.867 inches by 4.567 inches on the page, and then print it out. I guess it's an alternative if you're not any good with paint/photo programs.

Excellent. But we still need to actually acquire these boxes and obtain their exact dimensions before we can start turning these scans into actual covers.

Until then, however, I personally will collect as many as possible.

[quote name='slash000']Excellent. But we still need to actually acquire these boxes and obtain their exact dimensions before we can start turning these scans into actual covers.

Until then, however, I personally will collect as many as possible.[/QUOTE]

let me go get a tape measure and I can tell you the sizes

EDIT:

NVM. I thought you guys were using the official N64 cases.

and if you are,

hieght is: 7.25 inches
width: 5.25 inches
spine: 1 inches

I got my cases in and also cut up the covers for them and they are done, but does anyone have a way to fit the instruction booklets inside of the cases?

[quote name='SkyGheNe']I got my cases in and also cut up the covers for them and they are done, but does anyone have a way to fit the instruction booklets inside of the cases?[/QUOTE]

It's a few pages back, but i'll sumarize. You have to cut out a little bar of the plastic.

When you open your case, it should look like this on the left side

| --------------------------------------------
| |>
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |>
| -----------------------------------------------

cut the red portion to fit the manual vertically (cut out the "bar" that sticks out a little, so you can fit your manual in)

| |>
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |>

[quote name='evilmax17']It's a few pages back, but i'll sumarize. You have to cut out a little bar of the plastic.

When you open your case, it should look like this on the left side

| |>
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |>

cut the red portion to fit the manual vertically (cut out the "bar" that sticks out a little, so you can fit your manual in)

| |>
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |>
| -----------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]
so what should i use to cut them out?

[quote name='minimidgy']so what should i use to cut them out?[/QUOTE]

I have an exacto knife set like the one below. I used the flat-blade attatchment, which is the second one from the left. It makes it easy to scrape/level the plastic. You can also start it off with a nail clipper.

16PC%20Knife%20set%202.png

[quote name='evilmax17']I have an exacto knife set like the one below. I used the flat-blade attatchment, which is the second one from the left. It makes it easy to scrape/level the plastic. You can also start it off with a nail clipper.

16PC%20Knife%20set%202.png
[/QUOTE]
hmmmm i don't see how a nail clipper would work.

[quote name='heyyoeddie']If someone is ordering the cases in bulk, count me in for 5-10 of them.[/QUOTE]

I'm ordering 100 of them, and I'm taking requests on a first come, first served basis (I guess). Just add a reply to this thread so everyone knows. I'm keeping 25 of them, so there are 75 left for other CAGs.

slash000 has claimed 25 already
heyyoeddie has now claimed 10

So there are 40 left...

I'll just be charging the amount they cost me, plus shipping (I'm not looking to make any money off these, of course).

i haven't read all the pages.. but i suggestion snooping around Amazon and the ilk.. because i saw a chrono tigger box art on there (even though it had a watermark on it)

[quote name='evilmax17']Request:

Tony Hawk 4 GBA

:bow:[/QUOTE]

Here it is, in case you missed it:

THPS4

SnowCone will probably post it in the actual collection sometime tomorrow, though, so if it's gone from that URL when you check it, check the actual online collection at SnackBar.

[quote name='slash000']Here it is, in case you missed it:

THPS4

SnowCone will probably post it in the actual collection sometime tomorrow, though, so if it's gone from that URL when you check it, check the actual online collection at SnackBar.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again slash! Much appreciated, as always.

Okay, this is going to sound stupid. But I've been searching for nearly 2 months for a place to print these pictures. Kinko's doesn't have big enough paper. And no one I know has a color printer.

Office Max doesn't do photo quality prints, but they do have the right sized paper.

Someone give me an idea!!! (and a link to a print guide if possible)

[quote name='ngamer007']Okay, this is going to sound stupid. But I've been searching for nearly 2 months for a place to print these pictures. Kinko's doesn't have big enough paper. And no one I know has a color printer.

Office Max doesn't do photo quality prints, but they do have the right sized paper.

Someone give me an idea!!! (and a link to a print guide if possible)[/QUOTE]

You don't need photo quality prints. Just have them print them on the highest-quality setting on regular quality Legal (8 x 14) paper. You don't need to print them on glossy paper or anything (they look fine on regular paper, the plastic gives it a nice shine).

Official Printing FAQ

I know I don't need glossy paper. But I called Kinko's and they said they only make prints on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. No other sizes. (or maybe the guy I talked to was an idiot)

I would buy the paper and do it on a privately owned printer, but I don't know anyone that owns a color printer!!

I'm sure this is a given but just to make it official.

Requesting Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. :bow:

I need a case so I can put it on my shelf with backlighting and bow to it at least 5 times a day. :bow:

[quote name='ngamer007']I know I don't need glossy paper. But I called Kinko's and they said they only make prints on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. No other sizes. (or maybe the guy I talked to was an idiot)

I would buy the paper and do it on a privately owned printer, but I don't know anyone that owns a color printer!![/QUOTE]

Well, is Kinkos able to print without borders?

Because these covers are actually 10.867 inches long. They will fit on 8.5x11 paper if you print without any borders. I know some regular home printers allow for this. Perhaps Kinkos does too...

[quote name='drumbandit']I'm sure this is a given but just to make it official.

Requesting Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. :bow:

I need a case so I can put it on my shelf with backlighting and bow to it at least 5 times a day. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Someone in Snackbar made the request as well. Can't say I'm surprised, it's an excellent game. Here you go:

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

It will be on that URL until SnowCone posts it in the official collection, which could be any day now.

After my brief hiatus to finish coding our new movie site I have uploaded and posted all the covers that were in the waiting queue. That puts us at 606 covers. I have also setup the upload script to handle N64 covers so upload away.

[quote name='ngamer007']I know I don't need glossy paper. But I called Kinko's and they said they only make prints on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. No other sizes. (or maybe the guy I talked to was an idiot)

I would buy the paper and do it on a privately owned printer, but I don't know anyone that owns a color printer!![/QUOTE]

Go to kinko's and ask for "Glossy Tabloid, Heavy Stock" Check out this link for actual pictures of the 11x17 paper from Kinko's (the guy you were talking to probably just didn't care or was new or something).

http://classic-shock.1emulation.com/printingtut.html

Wow, I've been looking for a way to store my n64 games, genesis, etc. Looks like CAG already started without me. Nice work - unfortunately, i don't have any boxes, just the games so nothing to scan.

bread's done
Back