The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

All covers have been posted and I removed the link to view all the covers since that would take forever to load on even a good connection. Instead I added a DS category for DS alternate covers. Enjoy.

Ok so I have an offer for one of the founders of this great idea.....I was contemplating making all these cool cases for my old GB GBA games but I have thought now that I only collect complete older GB GBA games so they have their OG cardboard boxes as it is. I know this would be 10x cooler and be able to fit on a shelf but I'm not sure how my printer will handle the color printouts. I have now figured that there is only 1 game in dire need of a cool case. And that is the Metroid demo that came with the DS. So I would like to offer up paypal to any of the reliable founders of this great project to make me just one box with the insert for Metroid demo. I know it's only 1 box and 1 request but if any of you are willing to hook me up send me a PM and a price for the box/printout/shipping/work. Thanx

[quote name='cag1000']Ok so I have an offer for one of the founders of this great idea.....I was contemplating making all these cool cases for my old GB GBA games but I have thought now that I only collect complete older GB GBA games so they have their OG cardboard boxes as it is. I know this would be 10x cooler and be able to fit on a shelf but I'm not sure how my printer will handle the color printouts. I have now figured that there is only 1 game in dire need of a cool case. And that is the Metroid demo that came with the DS. So I would like to offer up paypal to any of the reliable founders of this great project to make me just one box with the insert for Metroid demo. I know it's only 1 box and 1 request but if any of you are willing to hook me up send me a PM and a price for the box/printout/shipping/work. Thanx[/QUOTE]

It's...uh...already on there...

http://www.snackbar-games.com/viewcover.php?view=ds

[quote name='cag1000']Ok so I have an offer for one of the founders of this great idea.....I was contemplating making all these cool cases for my old GB GBA games but I have thought now that I only collect complete older GB GBA games so they have their OG cardboard boxes as it is. I know this would be 10x cooler and be able to fit on a shelf but I'm not sure how my printer will handle the color printouts. I have now figured that there is only 1 game in dire need of a cool case. And that is the Metroid demo that came with the DS. So I would like to offer up paypal to any of the reliable founders of this great project to make me just one box with the insert for Metroid demo. I know it's only 1 box and 1 request but if any of you are willing to hook me up send me a PM and a price for the box/printout/shipping/work. Thanx[/QUOTE]

I am sure someone is willing to help you out and FWIW we have started to host alternate DS covers so people that are unhappy with the original US boxart can enjoy some import and custom work.

I created a DS Spine Logo yesterday. It is now listed on the Project homepage under resources. I am working on a blank DS Cover Template as well.

[quote name='Snowcone']I am sure someone is willing to help you out and FWIW we have started to host alternate DS covers so people that are unhappy with the original US boxart can enjoy some import and custom work.[/QUOTE]

I hope someone can help me with my request. I saw that there are alternate covers and they look great. Maybe in the future when i get a super printer. Sooo anyone out there wanna hook me up?? Here i'm gonna post my original request again.

bump

[quote name='slash000']Uploaded Monster Rancher Card battle.

I think that completes all of CouRageous's requests.

Now let's see some pics of the collection![/QUOTE]
Thanks for finishing my requests! I'll get around to taking pics sometime, haven't had the chance to even do everything yet and I need to pick up some ink. So far I've downloaded everything but only printed Kingdom Hearts and Advance Wars 2. I also need to order more cases since this whole thing made me want to pick up more GBA games and I forgot to include the Metroid demo in my initial count of number of cases I need.

[quote name='Snowcone']Do we really have so many covers that there are no more left to do?[/QUOTE]

Eh.. I was browsing a list of GBA games recently.. there's still a significant amount to do..

I'm actually going to start tackling the list soon. I've been busy with a lot of things lately, and AussieBen pretty much completely his huge collection of boxes. I finished off every cover at gameexpress with my last big upload before I did requests, although I'd like to rework a number of them.

But to be honest, most of the good GBA games that people actually own have already been covered and uploaded, and therefor the ones we have left to do are kind of.. not a huge priority. Lower priority, I'd say, than some of the important GB and GBC games.

I'd still like to find out the dimensions for the EU DS Cases so I can do a batch convert and get every single case available for our EU buddies.

[quote name='Snowcone']I'd still like to find out the dimensions for the EU DS Cases so I can do a batch convert and get every single case available for our EU buddies.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the EU cases are bigger (fatter) than the US ones? This might be a solution to the Pokemon Pinball GBC problem.

I was told that the spine is about 2-3mm wider than the American cases. What is this Pokemon Pinball GBC problem you are referring to?

Pokemon Pinball GBC has rumble built in, so the cart is really big (and fat). It's almost exactly as wide as a US DS case, so it doesn't fit into the case (no matter how you mod it). A wider case might be able to hold it though.

[quote name='cag1000']bump[/QUOTE]

bump for request to pay for 1 case for metriod prime demo.
Also has anyone considered making a case for the spiderman 2 UMD for the psp using one of the psp cases?

[quote name='Snowcone']Are they even selling PSP cases standalone?[/QUOTE]
I have not seen any anywhere - but if ever i come across one I will definitely do that!

The project has really slowed down as we have covered almost all the covers that are available to be made. I know we won't ever stop doing the new games but I really want to thank everyone that contributed and made this a big success.

So, we've cased PS1/Saturn, PC, GB, GBC, GBA games..

so I decided to case my N64 games:

gold69cx.jpg

gold10vw.jpg

gold76bl.jpg

gold55fx.jpg

Here's a link to the cover I made and printed:

It took forever to manipulate box scans of the Goldeneye cover to format them vertically, unlike the horizontal-based N64 boxes.

You're probably wondering where I got the case. Well, I don't know. I was given these several years ago as a birthday gift, and I only have 8 of them. So my 8 most precious N64 games are getting this treatment, unless someone knows of anywhere these can be found.

Anyway, I like it.

Man Slash, that's f'n awesome. ^^^ If i could find some of those cases.... I'm gonna look around....

EDIT: OK I found these links:
Amazon.com - Used only, and kinda pricey:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YV84/102-8282335-7376127?v=glance
Ebay - These are different, but still cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3580&item=8188618397
Another set on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3580&item=8188960907&rd=1

So, they're out there...just a bit difficult to find a big lot of them together. I might just have to get me some...

Slash great great job on that N64 game. I have Universal Game Cases very similar to the one you have there. They hold Super Nintendo, N64, and Genesis games. I can't remember but I think I got them here http://www.mediashelving.com/mediacases2.htm
I kept meaning to try something like this out....so I 'm going to print out your game case cover and if it fits into my cases I will definitely try to do a few. Great stuff.

[quote name='jkam']Slash great great job on that N64 game. I have Universal Game Cases very similar to the one you have there. They hold Super Nintendo, N64, and Genesis games. I can't remember but I think I got them here http://www.mediashelving.com/mediacases2.htm
I kept meaning to try something like this out....so I 'm going to print out your game case cover and if it fits into my cases I will definitely try to do a few. Great stuff.[/QUOTE]
Nice find on that site!! Much cheaper than getting the ones on ebay! thanks!

[quote name='organicow']Nice find on that site!! Much cheaper than getting the ones on ebay! thanks![/QUOTE]

No problem...you may want to hold off for a day though....I will see tonight how the cover works with them.

I tried this with mine last night....it worked but it was a bit too short as the cases I have are a little longer. The height was actually too high. It will work the same way though. Any idea where I can get high res scans of N64 box art? I'm missing most of the boxes.

[quote name='jkam']I tried this with mine last night....it worked but it was a bit too short as the cases I have are a little longer. The height was actually too high. It will work the same way though. Any idea where I can get high res scans of N64 box art? I'm missing most of the boxes.[/QUOTE]
uh oh. looks like another project! maybe someone should start a thread about this in the oldschool games forum to see if anyone's got some box art.

I have a few N64 boxes I'll try and see if I can get scans of them.

WarGods
Ready 2 Rumble
Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
F-Zero X
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium 2
Cruis'n World

That's a great idea to do N64 games... but about that Goldeneye cover, why is the word "Goldeneye" not even on the front?

Would anyone be interested in selling me a few of these cases?
I have a few in my tradelist I'd like as I have no access to a printer that could print these off.

[quote name='organicow']uh oh. looks like another project! maybe someone should start a thread about this in the oldschool games forum to see if anyone's got some box art.[/QUOTE]

If this starts, we should talk to SnowCone. He's got a ton of space on his servers for stuff like this, apparently.

Anyway, I might order some of those universal cases, and re-size the covers I've done to see how they look. We'll see.

As for the goldeneye cover, yeah, I forgot to put the logo on the front, but I have since fixed it. Anyway, here's another I made:

Here are some images of the cover I just printed:

photo11fi.jpg

photo26vq.jpg

z17of.jpg
z35rs.jpg

z26py.jpg

I like it. This takes forever.. but it's worth it..

I also decided to orient the N64 logo on the spine vertically, unlike the goldeneye version. I already fixed it on that one, along with adding the logo on the front properly.

JKAM - if you tell me the dimensions of the case that you have, of the front/back and spine, in inches, I can alter the Goldeneye and Zelda covers to those dimensions so you can try it yourself.

[quote name='JAMMR']That's a great idea to do N64 games... but about that Goldeneye cover, why is the word "Goldeneye" not even on the front?[/QUOTE]

It's an older version. I have since fixed it:

You guys never cease to amaze me.

slash, what cases are you using? If you had a link of where to buy them online, then we could make that the "standard" case, to avoid any sizing conflicts.

Also, how are these covers sticking to the cases?

Awesome work!

slash, just an aesthetic suggestion, but why dont you extend the red bar on the front and back across the spine and put the n64 logo on the spin on the red bar?

just a thought.

[quote name='evilmax17']You guys never cease to amaze me.

slash, what cases are you using? If you had a link of where to buy them online, then we could make that the "standard" case, to avoid any sizing conflicts.

Also, how are these covers sticking to the cases?

Awesome work![/QUOTE]

B00004YV84.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These are the ones I currently own.
However, as JKAM pointed out, there is a website where you can buy these in mass quantities:

50-754.jpg

If we are to do a full-fledged project, we'll need to find a source with many cases on hand, like mediashelving.com. Amazon and Ebay only have about 20 of the type I own total between them, so mediashelving would be ideal. However, it seems mediashelving only sells these in packs of 100 for $40..

Anyway, yes, we'd have to choose a case type before going full force on anything like this. Mediashelving's cases seem to be the best bet so far, unless we can find another kind for less than $40 100 packs.

Also, I'm getting these covers on there by using a lot of glue stick and then laminating them onto the covers, so that they don't get scratched/smeared. However, the Mediashelving covers actually come with sleeves like DVD cases, which would be ever more perfect.

[quote name='punqsux']slash, just an aesthetic suggestion, but why dont you extend the red bar on the front and back across the spine and put the n64 logo on the spin on the red bar?

just a thought.[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent idea! I hadn't thought of it since the red bars on the original N64 boxes had only been on the back and front, but since this cover extends all the way around, that's a good way to keep the covers uniform in style and a good place to put the N64 logo.

Hey, I made a quick edit:

Good thinking... this might be better.. Hm.

[quote name='dcfox']That Zelda one looks awesome. Great job on it. Approx. how long did it take you?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. A long time, though. What took forever was not only scanning the box, but once I'd done that, taking the scan apart and resizing and reconfiguring it to fit a logical vertical format. The biggest challenge is of course the back cover, with all of its text and images. I basically had to retype all the text, as a result.

The Zelda cover did, of course, take far less time than the Goldeneye cover because the Goldeneye cover has a complex image for its background in the front and back. I ended up scrapping the background image altogether for the back, and making my own. The Zelda cover was a matter of coloring the background gold, and resizing the Zelda logo to fit appropriately, and of course retyping and fitting the text.

Not really sure on how long it took in minutes though. But it takes much less time now that I have the redbar icons and such sorted out to be copy/pasted.

Holy crap those are just amazing! I am definitely willing to participate in any kind of project, doing whatever I can to help. I have about 13 unboxed N64 games that are begging for sweet cases like those. My Photoshop skills are pretty rudimentary, but maybe there's another way I can help.

If we have enough people interested, then buying the bulk cases from mediashelves should be fine, since we can split them up amongst ourselves.

On another note: maybe there should be a separate thread for this? I have never even been in this forum - I luckily found a link to this thread from the old school forum.

if you guys want to get the ball rolling on a full blown project, feel free to make a topic in the old school section, i leave the decision up to you's

[quote name='punqsux']if you guys want to get the ball rolling on a full blown project, feel free to make a topic in the old school section, i leave the decision up to you's[/QUOTE]
Can we have it stickied?

bread's done
Back