The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

when you create an account and it ask you to create one you just hit the guide button. Now thats outta the way get off you high horse and just make one, It's ridiculous people get upset about the avatars.

I just got my 360 a few months back and have been extremely happy with it. When I got back to college after Christmas break, one of my friends told me to add him on Live. I did so and he accepted my invite, but has since always been offline. We have played several different games together no sweat, but he always invites (he can see me as being online). It just always says that he is offline. He claims that he has set his status to online and that I am the only person who says there is a problem.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

[quote name='will52']I just got my 360 a few months back and have been extremely happy with it. When I got back to college after Christmas break, one of my friends told me to add him on Live. I did so and he accepted my invite, but has since always been offline. We have played several different games together no sweat, but he always invites (he can see me as being online). It just always says that he is offline. He claims that he has set his status to online and that I am the only person who says there is a problem.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?[/quote]

He either has it set on the xboxlive.com site to offline or on his privacy settings on his system. Otherwise he hates you and is lying to you. :)

I set myself to offline when I don't want to be interrupted while playing specific games.

[quote name='will52']hmmm... so you can set it in multiple places is what you're saying?[/quote]

In your system settings or on the website, yes.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I believe the shadow thing is only for people NOT on your friends list, that are in other people's parties, that have their privacy settings set pretty high.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this is correct.

[quote name='bvharris']I hope you're not saying Diablo is meh :D.[/QUOTE]

Not at all, I was saying Too Human is meh, I lost countless hours of my life to Diablo and Diablo 2, they were definitely not meh. :)

I liked a lot of the concepts behind Mass Effect, it was a very interesting style, and I liked the idea of an RPG based FPS (which is how I would classify it) but the missions started to get repetitive to me. I'll probably give it another shot sometime though.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Anyone know what's up? I can't add items to my que with the marketplace on the net anymore. Every time my item says Assigned to other console when I look at my active downloads on my system. Hmm, how do I tell it what system I have!?[/quote]

Funny story, called Microsoft Tech Support and talked with Billing and Account, then Hardware and then Live support and neither could figure out what was wrong. As I was waiting and listening to the blah blah blah of the tech support guy I cleared all the downloads in the que and then checked download history. Sure enough there they were and I re-downloaded them lol and it worked that way. I have to do this every time I add an item from xbox.com's marketplace.:cry: Turned out my console was already registered, they do this when they send you a new one after replacement.

Ok, so after having my 8 year old hang out and watch me play Fallout 3 and Bioshock (both of which she loved, natch), and after me telling her to cover her ears every 10 minutes so that i don't get a call from Family Services, i think that the time has come to find some games that we can do together.

I have the lego indy that came with my 360, and that looks to be a good first step. We both like adventure style games; a good platformer would work too.

I hear lego batman is good too. Any ideas? Are there any non-lego games? teen rated is ok, i just don't want her to model herself after the whores of the wasteland and angry splicers in rapture

oh, and we have all the rock band/GH games too, btw

:)

thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wildgift']Ok, so after having my 8 year old hang out and watch me play Fallout 3 and Bioshock (both of which she loved, natch), and after me telling her to cover her ears every 10 minutes so that i don't get a call from Family Services, i think that the time has come to find some games that we can do together.

I have the lego indy that came with my 360, and that looks to be a good first step. We both like adventure style games; a good platformer would work too.

I hear lego batman is good too. Any ideas? Are there any non-lego games? teen rated is ok, i just don't want her to model herself after the whores of the wasteland and angry splicers in rapture

:)

thanks all![/quote]
if you and her are into music... Rock Band or Guitar Hero are definitely the way to go.

Beautiful Katamari is a really simple but pretty fun game. You might not enjoy it as much as her but it's still playable.

The Viva Pinata games are awesome for both kids and adults alike so you can give those a shot.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is also another good kid-friendly co-op game

I have 600 MS points I'd like to use for once...anyone have any suggestions on some XBLA game(s) I should get? Any suggestions are fine really since I only have a few XBLA games...

[quote name='Spades22']I have 600 MS points I'd like to use for once...anyone have any suggestions on some XBLA game(s) I should get? Any suggestions are fine really since I only have a few XBLA games...[/quote]

Well I just got my OXM today and they have an arcade section with the unofficial top 10 so grab one of these if you don't have it:
Uno
Texax Hold Em
Undertow
Geometry Wars
Worms HD
TMNT
Carcassonne
Bankshot Billiards 2

Didn't mention Aegies Wing or Yaris since they're free and you know why Yaris is on the top 10 lol because we're suckers to free stuff.:bomb:

That list looks more like the most common downloads or something...I mean Uno is in every gold package as is/was texas hold em, and undertow and carcassone I got for free awhile back. (And undertow kind of sucks xD)

[quote name='Spades22']That list looks more like the most common downloads or something...I mean Uno is in every gold package as is/was texas hold em, and undertow and carcassone I got for free awhile back. (And undertow kind of sucks xD)[/quote]

Uno used to be cool, until the cock flashing started. I never had the pleasure, but the ex-wife did.

Lego Star Wars
Kameo
Overlord
Aegis Wing (free!)
Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise
Geometry Wars 2
Eternal Sonata
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2
1942 joint strike
Assault Heroes 1 and 2
Gauntlet
Smash TV
Robotron 2084

Resident Evil 5.

Okay, maybe a bit difficult.

Honestly, I'd let my kid play Fallout 3. Especially if she were a mature young girl. It's all quite far-fetched and amusing, rarely is the game too disturbing, as long as you don't go a bad karma route... in which case... yikes :lol:

But to answer the question under your stipulations: Puzzle Fighter is my favorite game to play with others. Maybe she'd also like Street Fighter IV, maybe not.

[quote name='luan87us']get a Wii you and your kids will enjoy that more[/QUOTE]

Honestly, besides SSBB, the only games I play on my Wii (and the only good games I can think of) are single player.

[quote name='sp00ge']Uno used to be cool, until the cock flashing started. I never had the pleasure, but the ex-wife did.[/quote]

You can pick games that aren't camera enabled you know.

For Uno, right in the options when you start up the game they say "press x for privacy settings" or something. I just turned off camera options right away, so its been fine. Are there any games for 200 points? Thinking of picking up geometry wars + something else...

And BTW how the heck is TMNT up there (Unless theres an HD update like street fighter that I'm missing or something)? The game is way too old and the trial sucked...it was only ok years ago when I last played it...

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Isn't Dig Dug 200 points?[/QUOTE]

oh yep, completely forgot about that one.

[quote name='Spades22']Are there any good community games, or are they all stuff like yaris? XD[/QUOTE]

There is a LOT of shit in there but there are some really good gems.

Biology Battle (its a Geo Wars clone but it out does Geo Wars IMO)
Hexothermic (chain reation puzzler)
Golden Royal Blackjack (great little blackjack ap thats quite a bit of fun playing against others)
Slottso Party (odd mixture of slots and scratch off cards made by the people behind the blackjack game. Single player sucks but multiplayer is pretty fun with a bunch of people)
Groov (geo wars clone but its completly music based)
Weapon of Choice (fun little Contra type game)
Blow (kinda like Lemmings but physics based)
Easy Golf (the actual golfing is just okay but the create a course portion rocks)
CarneyVale Showtime (kinda like a frantic version of Dynamite Heady)
Miner Dig Deep (Dig Dug but more involving),

Last edited by a moderator:
Might download some of those demos then tom. Tried out dig dug...seemed like it'd get boring real fast. Geo wars was ok, but do you just go for high scores, ... and it has no multi? Not sure how long that'd last >_<

Might have to try blackjack. Downloaded the trial for gin rummy and found the cards too much of a pain to read/sort on an SDTV.

[quote name='luan87us']get a Wii you and your kids will enjoy that more[/quote]

no...Save your $250 and put it towards some good games for the 360. My five-year old and I play games on the 360 way more than the wii. She enjoys Puzzle Arcade (we haven't tried out the co-op mode yet but she enjoys playing that by herself). We play marvel ultimate alliance, that dorito dino game, and viva pinata party animals (I HATE that game).

I would pick up the 5 dollar Arcade disc from gamestop (It's green and comes with the arcade bundles). My daughter and wife love the games on there Uno, Pacman CE, Luxor, Feeding Frenzy and Boom Boom Rocket.

Beyond these, the lego games and music games that you've already mentioned, I'd look into Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, The Maw (Single player only, but my daughter enjoyed the demo and plays it over and over...I should buy it!), Tony Hawk/Skate games (I don't have skate so I don't know about co-op, but I know project 8 has it and it's fun), and Bomberman Live.

Honestly, I would also go ahead and get/let her play Halo. That's a blast to play co-op through the game and as long as she isn't playing online matches, I don't see a problem content wise. Maybe that's just me though.

Tales of Vesperia is great for that - you control all of the out of combat portion, but then when you get into combat she takes control of one of the characters. When Tales of Symphonia came out for Gamecube, my (much) younger sister was probably 10 years old or so and I let her play with me.

castle crashers is a very good one, i beat it with my 4 year old, but he couldn't handle insane
feeding frenzy 2 also fun, all LEGO games will occupy the kids, marvel ultimate alliance is good, maybe even fable 2 but the camera is frustrating

Actually ya I agree with the Wii. Buy her cooking mama, mario party, and then with wii sports, should be set for awhile. Castle crashers is too gory for a little kid, but I guess if you've had her watch fallout and bioshock...
I know that there were a few games growing up that young kids liked that aren't gamers...Mario Party was always classic.

Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero World Tour, Castle Crashers, Halo 3 (my 8 year old brother learned to play last year and its his favorite game)

These are all games my brother enjoys, he is also into Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty World At War, Gears 2, and Madden 09 but those are too advanced for a beginner. I do not recommend the Lego games because the puzzles are way to frustrating and it is easy to get mad at the other player for going in the wrong direction, dying, etc. So fuck Lego, go with some of the first games I mentioned.

I played through Halo 3 with my eight year old on Legendary. He and his buddies play it all the time. We even had a Halo 3 Tournament for his birthday (4 player split screen) - using new downloaded Forge maps so no one had an advantage.

Gears of War 1 & 2, just turn off the blood and foul language.

Earth Defense Force is good cheesy fun.

Try some XBLA games.

Double Dragon
TMNT The Arcade Game
Castle Crashers

My son also likes to play Blue Dragon with me, we take turns with the turn based battles and he loves the animated cut scenes (which there are many of) plus he enjoys sharing the story with me (as I do with him).

bread's done
Back