The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Rave Child']I haven't been on this board too much since the perfect storm last month (it just moves too fast for me to keep up). I see a lot of posts about TIVs holding. Has BBV starting changing TIVs on a daily basis, or do they still only take place on Tuesdays?

Also, do you think it's a stretch to find a new copy of Mario Kart DS at a normal, non-GR store?[/quote]

I was under the impression that BBV changes TIVs every week. People just like to throw out the "price held today" just for reference, methinks.

Also, other than the "clearance" games on the first page, I rarely see any new games at non-GR BBVs, period.

[quote name='tianxia']I was under the impression that BBV changes TIVs every week. People just like to throw out the "price held today" just for reference, methinks.

Also, other than the "clearance" games on the first page, I rarely see any new games at non-GR BBVs, period.[/quote]

I see a lot of New DS titles for sale, a smaller amount of Wii, PS3, and 360 games but a ton more used. Don't really see PSP or PS2 stuff other than used. Finding used DS games around here is tough though.

[quote name='tianxia']I was under the impression that BBV changes TIVs every week. People just like to throw out the "price held today" just for reference, methinks.

Also, other than the "clearance" games on the first page, I rarely see any new games at non-GR BBVs, period.[/quote]

Lately there's been some confusion as BBV TIV's seem to change on days other than/in addition to Tuesdays. It used to be only on tuesday, but people have reported changes on sunday and money as well. I'm not sure if anyone's positive anymore, hence "price held today."

[quote name='akokonas']im predicting a 25% of any used item in the store tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea what it might be for?[/quote]

We just had a 20% off all used games/accessories coupon, so I don't think it'd be that.

I'm guessing a PSP coupon or one that's totally useless.

just turned $55 in GS credit into $105 BBV credit. Also got a free Brett Favre Jet Madden X360 cover. Nice looking printout.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea it's really easy to add an image to your dashboard if you share the picture with your windows media player on your pc. The picture will be available on the themes blade but you don't get multiple pictures in a theme, just one. Still its free though, I laugh at EA wanting me to pay 150 MPs for Gemma Atkinson RA3 theme, google it bitches! Plus a little Photoshop and you can make your own personal theme![/QUOTE]

How do u get the picture to stay on the 360's harddrive permanently? Also, I had asked about a TV tuner because before I had a thread about Media Center but my thread or my last post got moved into this thread. I wanted to know how I can tell if I have a TV tuner in my TV so I could record TV because that's one of the options that Media Center offers with the 360.

And please, if someone could help with a guided step-by-step process on transfering pics, videos, etc. onto my 360 harddrive that would be appreciated.

For the Blockbuster Wii Giveaway, can we participate at more than one store in a day? For example, if I buy $25 of items at two different Blockbusters in one day, will they each count as an entry for that store? And I'm assuming that you can perform one $25 purchase on different days at the same Blockbuster and that counts as separate entries for that BBV, right?

My store had Ninja Gaiden 2 listed as $49.99 new, so I think that the $30 price tag is likely a mistake.

[quote name='GuardianE']
My store had Ninja Gaiden 2 listed as $49.99 new, so I think that the $30 price tag is likely a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

OK, so I decided I'd drop several preorders (over several days) at $25 to enter the sweeps. The problem is, they have almost nothing I want available in the system. The manager was looking them up so this isn't the short preorder list, this is what is in the computer system for all GR and BB stores.

They do NOT have Viva Pinata 2, Animal Crossing, Kirby Super Star Ultra, or Luminous Arc 2.

They DO, however, have all 3 versions of Guitar Hero World Tour (game only, guitar kit, band bundle). So for my purchase today I put down $25 on the $189.99 band bundle ;).

Oh, they also have Dragon Quest IV for the DS in there. I already preordered this at GS but I might do another at BB tomorrow. I will assume they won't actually get it - but then I can get a free entry in the sweeps and just get a refund when they don't get it in (and if they do I'll return my GS copy).

I should have checked to see if they have any Mario Super Sluggers on order - that would put the "guarantee" Warner mentioned to the test as I preordered this several weeks ago. Though it seems like that is the sort of game they ought to get for general sale anyway.

I also noticed they had Mario Kart in stock - but it seems every time I see that in stores it is selling below retail on eBay. Then once it goes back up again I can't find it... I guess that's the way it works. I might buy one tomorrow anyway to sell, though, just to get another entry in the sweeps - plus one of those Summer Games packs I guess :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Sega Superstar Tennis $12.99 with 25% & edge would knock it well under 10.
and TIV is 20.00 , too bad its all gone where i live

next looks like Blacksite,
K&L drop to 16.

EBC3006251.jpg

Just got back from Gamestop+BBV, got the following TIVs:

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - $26 (I kept the disc that says "DragonBall Z Best Fights)
Maddon 07 - $13
Bust-A-Move Bash - $23

I asked her to put the $ on a giftcard, she said had to be on a VC...told her I was gonna buy a giftcard with it anyway, so she offered to leave the credit on my account, then I can get a GC with that. So I ended up giving her 2 more Value Cards to put to my account in the store, and got everything on a Giftcard! Yay!

how did u get coupon so early i guess we can go use this tonight it does not say when it starts but only when it expires

Oh, I should also add that I finally saw the Octomania I traded in there out on the shelf for sale. I thought maybe they had sold it right away after I traded it in. Turns out they must have just held it in the back with other stock and just put it out recently.

hopefully blacksite will be the used deal of the week. That would be sweet cause then it might be an extra 10 dollars cheaper

There was a post a few days ago saying the BBV system still charges tax if you use a giftcard, but I personally wanted Giftcards as opposed to Value Cards because:

- I can check balance on blockbuster.com
- Giftcards don't expire (while VC expire after 24 months of nonuse)
- Giftcards can be used online as well

shit for real
i ganna transfer then
check online and buy online
no exp date,
I'm sold

i got like over 400 in 2 VC
they were looking at me weird so i had to get a second 1.

[quote name='yuy104']There was a post a few days ago saying the BBV system still charges tax if you use a giftcard, but I personally wanted Giftcards as opposed to Value Cards because:

- I can check balance on blockbuster.com
- Giftcards don't expire (while VC expire after 24 months of nonuse)
- Giftcards can be used online as well[/quote]

Do vcs expire in California?

24 month is 2 years so it pretty long time, i would used it again every month or so

what sold me was that i can
check online and buy online stuff

gcCheckBalanceTitle.jpg

Enter your gift card information below and click "Check Balance."

Gift Card Number: PIN:
* Your gift card must contain an 8-digit PIN that was covered by a scratch-off, and the card number must start with 6016 or higher. If your card does not have a PIN or the appropriate starting number, you may check your remaining balance by calling 1-800-406-6843 during the hours of 8:00 am - 8:00 pm Central, Monday through Friday.

According to the fine print on the VC:
This stored value card will expire after 24 months of consecutive non-use, except that expiration is voif for Stored Value Cards issued in CA, CT, MA, NH and where expiration is prohibited by law.

One weird thing about checking balance online is that it only gives you the whole dollar amount, cutting off the cents. Example: If a GC has $1.88, the website will show you have $1. Not a big deal for me, at least I'll know the $ I have on the card.

i hate these stupid value cards from BB i have 5 of them in my wallet and they go in descending order. Its my own system. In a way i think its better to get each trade on a new card so that the balance never gets high on one card and puts a red flag on an employee that your just trading and racking up credit

[quote name='akokonas']i hate these stupid value cards from BB i have 5 of them in my wallet and they go in descending order. Its my own system. In a way i think its better to get each trade on a new card so that the balance never gets high on one card and puts a red flag on an employee that your just trading and racking up credit[/quote]
It's true, they are annoying...haha. My wallet is bulging from all the cards in it. But since you can use VCs to buy GCs,I don't see the harm...if anything, you can buy 5 GCs with each of your 5 VCs...haha:lol:

i always when using the vc that has the huge amount, avoid the managers and Jr Dick's

[quote name='io']Oh, I should also add that I finally saw the Octomania I traded in there out on the shelf for sale. I thought maybe they had sold it right away after I traded it in. Turns out they must have just held it in the back with other stock and just put it out recently.[/quote]

In some places, the law requires shops that buy used items for resale to hold them for a week or two in case they turn out to be stolen.

[quote name='elmyra']In some places, the law requires shops that buy used items for resale to hold them for a week or two in case they turn out to be stolen.[/quote]

At my BBV, apparently its 1 month, and since it was my first trade there, I was also put on hold for a month -_-

Of course, Im tempted to go to another BBV, but its been about 3 weeks, I just wanna get it done with already.

If you don't wanna hassle with the 25% off coupon(which is invalid @ GS after today anyway), Bust A Move Bash(Wii) is $10 or so on clearance @ Kmart. If the trade value held @ $23, that's a more than 100% profit.

Oh man, that coupon opens up sooo many new possibilities for flips. Eye of Judgment, Blacksite & Rock Band for the win.

I bought an Eye of Judgment w/ everything except the camera for $12 shipped off of Amazon. Got it today and the deck alone has 3 rare cards worth $20, so i'm already in the green before i've even sold the game.

Traded the following games into BBV today:
Wii
DBZ 3 - 26
Bust a Move Bash - 23
Alone in the Dark - 30

The Club - 19
Prey - 6

Turned $48.65 GS credit into $113 BBV credit; actually ended up buying another DBZ3 and Bust a Move Bash ($23.38 GS credit) and turned it into $49 credit at another Blockbuster. Picked up Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 new for $49.99 and also got GTA IV used for the 360 for $34.99. Great deals.

I think I just got confirmation today that there is another CAG member in my area as I checked out the games on the blockbuster at the intersection of HWY 98 and Perry (if you're "that guy" then you know the place) I saw an Octomania, Fatal Inertia and DBZ 3 on the used shelf. It brought a smile to my face.

[quote name='Bezerker']Oh man, that coupon opens up sooo many new possibilities for flips. Eye of Judgment, Blacksite & Rock Band for the win.

I bought an Eye of Judgment w/ everything except the camera for $12 shipped off of Amazon. Got it today and the deck alone has 3 rare cards worth $20, so i'm already in the green before i've even sold the game.[/quote]
What are the three cards? I got this at wal-mart with the camera for $30 and I kept the camera. I have the deck around here somewhere and I assume you sell them on Ebay correct?

Welp, i was hoping Dark Sector would be a somewhat decent flip considering I thought BB sold it for $30 used, but it only gets $16, making it $11.70 -> $16 (not quite worth it). Hail to the chimp is $19.50 -> $23 (once again, not worth it). I've used up my TIV calls for the night to the Gamerush stores, so i can at least say i tried...

Sega Superstars Tennis is still winning with $8.45 -> $23 (close to 3x profit). Amazingly one store got a used copy within the last two days, hopefully they'll get more within the next week.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']What are the three cards? I got this at wal-mart with the camera for $30 and I kept the camera. I have the deck around here somewhere and I assume you sell them on Ebay correct?[/quote]

White cubic (sold mine for $9 shipped), Sciondar Fire God (Sold mine for $8.33 shipped) and Triceptaur Behemoth (sold mine for $5 shipped). If you get lucky with the booster pack that comes with the starter set, you can find a card worth at least $40 minimum.

do you know of a good resource to check the values of the EOJ cards? I don't know enough about them to intelligently search Ebay :cry:, but I have a couple packes worth of cards, and I think some of them are the ones you mentioned. They have only been touched long enough for me to figure out that the game isn't my style...

Or, if anyone here is playing the game and would be interested, I could make a quick list of everything I have and if anyone wants em we could work something out.

Some TIV:

PS3:
Blacksite Area 51 - 30
NHL 08 - 16
Tiger woods 08 - 16
Fifa street 08 - 16

Blacksite held so that seems like the only one that is profitable in flipping except from SST which i dont have in my area. Mabye we should look at some ps2 and psp games. There is one psp game that i know has potential:

Hot Pixel is $9 used at GS and last known TIV was 12.50 and i think it hasn't changed. Also, NGII came up as $55 used at BB for me.

BB tonight had a trade in board. May be old prices, but..
Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian was getting $28.50(Xbox360)
Gamestop has it for $24.99 for PS3. If that TIV is the same then with coupon this week, it'd be a 1.75 flip.
Anyone with a phone like to give it a shot? I don't like vocal interactions.

[quote name='stone1061']BB tonight had a trade in board. May be old prices, but..
Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian was getting $28.50(Xbox360)
Gamestop has it for $24.99 for PS3. If that TIV is the same then with coupon this week, it'd be a 1.75 flip.
Anyone with a phone like to give it a shot? I don't like vocal interactions.[/quote]

someone posted couple of days ago it was 16; although that was for wii

[quote name='elmyra']In some places, the law requires shops that buy used items for resale to hold them for a week or two in case they turn out to be stolen.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have given this info as well: they also had the stuff I traded in yesterday out there ;). So they just held Octomania in the back for some reason for 2-3 weeks until they finally dealt with it (tagged, etc).

I was at another BB last night and saw Octomania there as well and it wasn't out last week either. So that is kind of strange.

In any case, I was able to trade no problem at that store, so that's all that matters. I made one more run to the Mall with 2 GS's and wasn't expecting much. I knew they had a Wii Sports and an Okami from the web site. But they didn't have much in the way of flippables when I was there last weekend. However, that was before the DBZ 3 discovery. Between the 2 stores they had 5 DBZ 3 Thurs evening! I grabbed 3 (all with the good UPC), along with BW2 (will flip this one as I already got one to keep), Chicken Little, and Okami. The Wii Sports was just a bit too scratched up to make it worth selling. I already traded Chicken Little and one of the DBZ 3. So now I have 2 DBZ 3 and BW2 left to trade. So all told I spent $83.79 of my GS credit and already got $42 for 2 of the games with another $78 soon to come and an Okami to keep. Not bad.

I kind of wish I had snagged RE4 or one of the other GS eligible trade-in titles for the $9.99/$19.99 deal. I could have flipped back one of the DBZ 3's with something else. For one thing, I have to figure out where to take these 2, but also it would be nice to get some GS credit back for a change. I'll probably just end up taking them to Gamecrazy for a price match though - I haven't done that in a few weeks.

So it seems like the PS3 coupon is a bust compared to the Wii one. That seems counterintuitve given that BB tends to give pretty high values for a lot of PS3 games. I'm sure we'll find something. I might be able to do 1 or 2 Blacksites, but they never had SST available near me. I found a few in Tucson last week but I already done those ;).

Thursday TIVs:
:ps3: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - $16
:wii: Balloon Pop - $16
:wii: Showtime Boxing - $16

Did a bunch of preorders on Thursday with the new generic preorder SKU. The manager was very excited about it so I figured why not. Only MCF: MH was in the system so far (forgot about PR: SoA). If any of you are Nintendo fans, here are the upcoming releases with GS shipping dates.

:ds: Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir 9/8/2008
:ds: Kirby: Super Star Ultra 9/22/2008
:wii: Wario Land: Shake It 9/22/2008
:wii: Animal Crossing: City Folk 11/3/2008
:wii: Wii Music 11/3/2008
:ds: Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia 11/10/2008
:ds: Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat? 11/24/2008

I forgot to check Wario Land Shake It - so they don't have that in there either? #-o

If they want to take this new game sales thing seriously they need to get on the ball. I don't remember things being that bad when I used to preorder from my old Gamerush. They always had just about everything in the system at least a few months before it came out. Now, that didn't mean I ever got those things when I preordered them, but at least they were in the system.

I've never heard of this Mystery Case Files game :shock:. I think I'll stop by my local store and preorder Dragon Quest IV tomorrow though (with another $25 to make my third entry into the sweeps ;)). Like I said before, that will be a good test of their delivery guarantee as they said they currently have none on order. With it coming out mid-Sept they ought to have enough time to remedy that if I preorder it and they are serious about this stuff...

Anyway, in case anyone missed it, I was able to preorder the Guitar Hero World Tour Band Bundle for the 360 (MSRP $189.99). They also had entries for the game-only and the guitar-kit versions. I assume they have the other systems too since they have everything for Rock Band 2. I also got a look at the new preorder sheet from this week's MAP tonight - they still have the same very small selection of games as before (Fallout, Rock Band 2, Spore Creatures, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and a few others as mentioned in the OP).

My local store has a pretty low sales volume. I wouldn't imagine they make many sales over $25 except for Wii Fit (which they had Saturday but was gone today) and Wii systems. So I'd like to think I'll have a pretty good chance at the Wii prize after I drop another 4-5 preorders and pay off Mario Super Sluggers.

Also wondering about some ps2/psp games that might be flippable.

Also... beats contest winner :
Yukafis just pm me whenever...I added the few people that wanted in as well to the "hat", you too io

edit: also berzerker in the cards I got with my eoj at GS a while back I got those 3 cards you mentioned and some more. Where did you sell yours? I'd like to unload these for a few bucks.

[quote name='io']I forgot to check Wario Land Shake It - so they don't have that in there either? #-o[/quote]

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Especially after seeing it handwritten on the Upcoming Releases board facing the entrance. BTW, this was at a GR store.

bread's done
Back