The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='whymustiregister']No go at the GR as expected for the cheap GTAIVs but I was able to grab a Wii Fit. Ended up going back to the BB. They really did have used copies marked at $19.99. I asked the manager if there was a limit on how many I could buy and she said no. I always ask since the other stores normally cap me at 2. Grabbed 7 used :360: and 4 used :ps3: copies. Decided to get 8 of each so I asked the manager to get the new ones from the back. While I was waiting I noticed the :360: Special Edition on the counter was on clearance as well. So I got that one as my 8th copy, it was the last SE they had. The :ps3: used ones rang up as $26.99 but she manually deducted $5 from each. I made a weak protest that it should have been $7 but I didn't really care. I also asked if the number of empty boxes on the table represented how many she had left. She said no, they had lots more. Overall I think she was happy to be rid of them, so much so that she wanted to give me one of the framed prints but they were out of them. So I ended up with a GH: Aerosmith one instead. Here's a picture of the haul, minus 4 copies that already went to GS. Gonna visit my 2 duplicate friendly stores on Friday and get rid of the remaining 12. I figured that even if the TIV dropped slightly it would be ok since I paid less this time. If the TIV holds I'll probably make one more run as I still have about $300 in BB credit. Too bad the new GS coupon sucks...

[/quote]

The special edition came up as $20 too? Was it complete? I ask because you could probably resell the other stuff that came with the SE and make a few more bucks. You probably won't get much for most of it, but the lockbox(if it had keys)is well worth $20 by itself if you ask me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The special edition came up as $20 too? Was it complete? I ask because you could probably resell the other stuff that came with the SE and make a few more bucks. You probably won't get much for most of it, but the lockbox(if it had keys)is well worth $20 by itself if you ask me.[/quote]

I wish it was that cheap! It was brand new and 50% off the original retail, so $45. While the 50% sale was going on during Labor Day weekend, the SEs were excluded AFAIK. You can see the price stickers in the full picture. I figured $20 more of cheap BB credit and I get some extra stuff, why not. The bag might be useful. Art book will likely go on eBay/craigslist. Soundtrack I might keep, have to research it first. Gonna see if my mom wants the lockbox for her stuff. ;) I suppose I should play one of the :ps3: copies (I don't have a :360:) but well, I've never been interested in the series...

Warner -

Can you shed any light on the pricing strategy for the Xbox 360's at BB/GR now that the price dropped. The 60GB's are now $299 retail, I know my local store still has several 20GB units left. Do you know if they are going to drop? I would jump on this with a quickness if they drop to like $249 or something.

Please let us know if you see anything regarding these price changes. Thanks!!!​

[quote name='GuardianE']lol, I had a Wii game in a PS3 case. Raving Rabbids 2. It was a very bizarre thing. I kinda wanted to keep the PS3 case, but I forgot to ask if they had any spare DVD cases.[/quote]

If you haven't ditched it yet why not just stop by your local GS and ask for one of their spare cases?

As for my latest Wii Fit scheme if my latest buyer comes through for me over the weekend and buys more than two then I'm going to cave in and end up selling the rest of them for $100 as I originally planned. I'm fully aware of my own luck and it is truly shit tier at best. The most I could get away with during the holiday season is $150 which would fly if I had three to sell, but two/one for only a $100/$50 profit a couple of months from now?

Nah... not worth the trouble. I'll save what little BB credit I have left for recouping purposes and finally end this wild first run of flipping. x_x

[quote name='whymustiregister']I wish it was that cheap! It was brand new and 50% off the original retail, so $45. While the 50% sale was going on during Labor Day weekend, the SEs were excluded AFAIK. You can see the price stickers in the full picture. I figured $20 more of cheap BB credit and I get some extra stuff, why not. The bag might be useful. Art book will likely go on eBay/craigslist. Soundtrack I might keep, have to research it first. Gonna see if my mom wants the lockbox for her stuff. ;) I suppose I should play one of the :ps3: copies (I don't have a :360:) but well, I've never been interested in the series...[/quote]

If you have access to a reliable high speed connection, try getting online with your PS3 copy when we have CAG GTA Night, which is usually Sundays at 9 pm EST. I've only managed to get in on it one time, but I had a blast while the fun lasted. Lately, I've been playing ALOT of Free Mode online, practicing my sniping for the nights when I play online with a few friends in deathmatch(who I swear are robotic since I'm still trying to free aim and they're cutting me down in the meantime).

The soundtrack, artbook and even the keychain are all sitting in the lockbox upstairs, as is the dufflebag that comes with the SE bundle. About the only thing I've thought about using is the lockbox, to keep my coin collection in, but I've been procrastinating on doing that and I doubt I'll ever use it. Supposedly, the tracks on the soundtrack disc aren't available anywhere else, though I'm sure by now people uploaded them to the sharing sites. So the soundtrack might be worth a couple bucks.

For $45, you got a hell of a deal there, since the extra stuff is worth the money imo.

There was an extra baggy in almost every SE version, though from what I've seen some people confess they use their SE lockboxes for :roll:, I can only imagine what they used the extra baggy for. :lol:

No $20 GTA IV at my GameRush....nothing much at all honestly. I wish they had a GOOD sale one day.

Side Note: They DID have the Pokeman DS bundle....I believe it was $129.99 (but i just glanced...at first look, it looked like $189.99). They also had a few mario Kart's for Wii. Almost bought one, but I RARELY play the Wii anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']
Warner -​

Can you shed any light on the pricing strategy for the Xbox 360's at BB/GR now that the price dropped. The 60GB's are now $299 retail, I know my local store still has several 20GB units left. Do you know if they are going to drop? I would jump on this with a quickness if they drop to like $249 or something.​

Please let us know if you see anything regarding these price changes. Thanks!!!​
[/quote]

Not too sure. There is a print out that was sent out last night, but I didn't look at it too hard since only one item on it applied to our store. The current X360 bundle that is priced at 349.99 has now dropped to 309.99. Like I said... they did send out a memo with all of the new prices in regards to X360 stuff, but I didn't take note of it. I'll try and grab a copy of it tonight if nobody else posts the info before then.

One Piece....
iconwii.gif
was marked $19.99 at Toys R us today. With b1 g1 half off it'd be $15 a piece. $23 TIV at Blockbuster.
Not a huge find, but a find none the less. I had a $10 coupon from the Toys R Us credit card, dropping it to $10 a piece, that made it worthwhile.

Picked up Psychonauts for the PS2 for $2.99 today. Ended up being a pricing error, but was corrected by the manager without me having to ask.

Complete, in mint condition. Pretty happy about that since I've always wanted to try it.

While I was at my BB today looking for Viva Pinata, which of course they didn't have. I saw they had marked the 20 GB 360s down to $260 and the ones with the Blue Dragon bundle down to $310. So you guys might want to keep an eye for that.

Here's a question for all of you that's been bothering me for a while.

How many games do you trade into Blockbuster while your there? I used to do it 1 or 2 at a time, but now instead of visiting them so often I just go once a week and trade in 3 or more at a time.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Here's a question for all of you that's been bothering me for a while.

How many games do you trade into Blockbuster while your there? I used to do it 1 or 2 at a time, but now instead of visiting them so often I just go once a week and trade in 3 or more at a time.[/quote]

I've traded anywhere from 1-6 per visit; depends how many I have on me at the time. I've never traded in repeats to any of the individual stores and have had zero problem (minus one store that insisted that they could not put the credit on the gift card). I'm also small potatoes on here compared to others that trade with them.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Here's a question for all of you that's been bothering me for a while.

How many games do you trade into Blockbuster while your there? I used to do it 1 or 2 at a time, but now instead of visiting them so often I just go once a week and trade in 3 or more at a time.[/quote]

I trade from 1 to 5 at a time.

[quote name='gi60']I trade from 1 to 5 at a time.[/quote]

Ditto, never duplicate titles, etc. Playing by the rules folks. Playing by the rules.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ditto, never duplicate titles, etc. Playing by the rules folks. Playing by the rules.[/quote]

I've duplicated titles and never had problems yet. Usually wait a week in between before trading in a duplicate.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ditto, never duplicate titles, etc. Playing by the rules folks. Playing by the rules.[/quote]

I will do duplicate titles to the same location, but not on the same day and I try to do it with different people. Problem is the person working almost always has to get trained on how to do a trade-in so the person helping is usually the manager on floor, whom have come to know me well.

This is good and bad. Bad because I need to be more careful, but also good because they have gone out of their way for me -- i.e. i got a personal call from one of the managers when they started carrying DS's letting me know that they were holding one (of each color) for me. A second time they held a copy of game they knew I was looking for when it was converted from rental to purchase.

I trade 1 to 3 games at a time and usually once a week at each BB. I only trade in multiples at 1 BB (atleast a week apart) but have stopped since the Manager commented that I have traded in alot of games. I remember when I started flipping and I walked in to the first 2 BBs with about 8-9 games. :lol:

I'm planning to give away an invite code for the SOCOM Confrontation beta here in the thread. I ended up with an extra and thought I'd share it here since this thread has been such a big help. PM me if you're interested and I'll pick a winner at random later on tonight probably.

Good idea. Lame GS coupon, lets go with a flipping question of the day instead of a TIV value question.
I'll trade anywhere from 1-5 at a time at Blockbuster. Try to keep it within 2 systems. I don't like trading in one wii, xbox 360, and ps3 game all at the same time, not that there's anything wrong with it.
Gamestop on the other hand, my max was 24
iconxbox360.gif
games, all different at one time during the perfect storm.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I've duplicated titles and never had problems yet. Usually wait a week in between before trading in a duplicate.[/quote]

Trading duplicates was what brought me to a GR's manager attention back in the early days, in fact the clerks would always scan my history to make sure I had not traded a particular game previously. This kind of scrutiny was what finally caused my initial ban (still in place at that store, but lifted at all others).

So I now trade 1 copy to a BB/GR and any surplus copies to GC (which are currently matching bb + 5%)

I'm a little conflicted on the 1 game per visit, vs 1 visit per week with multiple games. Often visiting a single store too often gives them many opportunities to see how your value card balance flutuates, or reinforces a feeling with them that your taking money away from that store. One store makes it very clear that they expect the number of preorders to closely match the number of trades. I'm also rethinking visiting the same store on the same day each week, I think mechanical, repetitive visits draw more attention than random, diverse stops.

I do maybe 1-4 or 5 at a time, usually about 2-3 though. I avoid doing duplicates, except at a farther away store that's near my parents' house. Out there, I feel like I can take a tiny bit more risk. I have two stores in my city and one down the highway just a bit, so I spread between those. It all really depends on how curious/suspicious an employee may be though. I had a clerk actually refer to me as her "favorite customer" because I'm in there all the time, my disks always look good, and I already know the trade process which makes it go more smoothly. A few months ago, I even had an incident where a RB guitar I bought there was defective, I tried to return it and they wouldn't let me (because they don't really deal with defective merchandise much, they wanted me to go through the manufacturer). But after realizing how often I was in there buying crap, they called me on my cell phone, apologized, and told me I could come exchange it. Unfortunately, I'd already exchanged it across town at the other BB, which made me feel kind of like an ass.

Anyway, the point is, if you play your cards right, you could just come across as a valuable, loyal customer; provided you don't go overboard and don't raise too many eyebrows.

Wen to a GR near school today to look for the 20 bucks GTA 4 but all of them were still marked at 34.99. Saw a big clearance banner and a tent inside with games, movies, batman toys, etc under it. Some new games in the clearance tent were:

Uncharted - 49.99
COD4 - 54.99
DMC4 - 49.99
Simpsons Movie - 34.99
Viking - 29.99
Condemned 2 - 29.99
Burnout Paradise - 29.99

Nothing really attracted me so i picked up a used Orange Box but it looked pretty new for 24.99.

[quote name='mikeyme']Wen to a GR near school today to look for the 20 bucks GTA 4 but all of them were still marked at 34.99. Saw a big clearance banner and a tent inside with games, movies, batman toys, etc under it. Some new games in the clearance tent were:

Uncharted - 49.99
COD4 - 54.99
DMC4 - 49.99
Simpsons Movie - 34.99
Viking - 29.99
Condemned 2 - 29.99
Burnout Paradise - 29.99

Nothing really attracted me so i picked up a used Orange Box but it looked pretty new for 24.99.[/quote]

LOL. I love how lowered MSRPs are considered clearance at BB.

Xbox 360s were pricedropped at BlockBuster today, as well. The Core (20gb version) and Arcade should be $199.99 each, if your store carry or sell them individually. Also, their special bundle (Core + extra controller + Blue Dragon + 3months of LIVE + something else I forgot) is now $309.99.

Ahh geez, and I just moved most of my credit back to Gamestop too. Bummer trying to flip to BBV without a coupon.

Although the staff at one of my Blockbuster were giving a serious sales pitch to a couple for the last Wii they had in stock. Talked it up to them for a good 10-15 minutes while I was browsing the used games.

[quote name='dys006']Ahh geez, and I just moved most of my credit back to Gamestop too. Bummer trying to flip to BBV without a coupon.

Although the staff at one of my Blockbuster were giving a serious sales pitch to a couple for the last Wii they had in stock. Talked it up to them for a good 10-15 minutes while I was browsing the used games.[/quote]

I believe there are still some even flips with the 10% coupon. It's much easier to flip to Blockbuster than to Gamestop.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ditto, never duplicate titles, etc. Playing by the rules folks. Playing by the rules.[/QUOTE]

Well, "the rules" are 2 copies of a game per day. Clearly one cannot even play by the rules without getting in trouble - and that is the problem with BBV ;).

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Xbox 360s were pricedropped at BlockBuster today, as well. The Core (20gb version) and Arcade should be $199.99 each, if your store carry or sell them individually. Also, their special bundle (Core + extra controller + Blue Dragon + 3months of LIVE + something else I forgot) is now $309.99.[/quote]

That bundle went from being a good deal to a bust given the price drop, but I will be there after work today picking up a 20GB for $200. Best deal I think I'll find on that.

LOL. Point taken. Well said Io.

Wow @ $200 20 GBs though. If I didn't want the extra storage and a chance at Jasper I might bite. Then again if I make enough cash before the holidays it won't matter either way. I'll convince myself to spend the money and buy one before I lose the nerve.

When I first started, and before I was flipping, I took in 20ish games and did it all at once. I think I was that store's first trade. I just wanted the better credit ratio for what I had.

Since I have been flipping, though my output is pretty mild compared to most, I don't usually do more than 3-4 titles at a time and generally prefer to keep the transaction under $100. I also never trade in the same title at the same store.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Xbox 360s were pricedropped at BlockBuster today, as well. The Core (20gb version) and Arcade should be $199.99 each, if your store carry or sell them individually. Also, their special bundle (Core + extra controller + Blue Dragon + 3months of LIVE + something else I forgot) is now $309.99.[/quote]

How do i convince myself i need a second Xbox 360 20g?
Hmmmm.
Would be easier then packing up the one i got when i take it to work.
$200 cheaper than when my wife bought mine for me.
Hmmm, another wii entry.
I had 3 PS2's at one time, a second xbox isn't excessive.
I don't want to put the credit towards a wii. yet.
In my old age(38) I've bought so much i've regretted, I'm pretty good at talking myself out of buying stuff.

[quote name='stone1061']How do i convince myself i need a second Xbox 360 20g?
Hmmmm.
Would be easier then packing up the one i got when i take it to work.
$200 cheaper than when my wife bought mine for me.
Hmmm, another wii entry.
I had 3 PS2's at one time, a second xbox isn't excessive.
I don't want to put the credit towards a wii. yet.
In my old age(38) I've bought so much i've regretted, I'm pretty good at talking myself out of buying stuff.[/QUOTE]

Man, I thought io was old.

J/K io, you are still the best...like the wise, old sage that you are. :)

In the past I had such huge balls that I would trade in as many games as I had on hand, even duplicates.

With all the people getting in trouble, I've started to limit myself to 1 per title per store per day.

Are you sure about the $ 199 price for the 20 GB? I just called 2 BB's and it's $ 259.99. Both store know me by name and been pretty good so I don't think they lie, and I also asked them to scan the UPC to make sure.

Okay, just got off the phone with the manager of my local GR regarding the issue I had with the employee who wouldn't take Cabela's TB for trade-in because "they don't have any in stock". He said it was probably a training issue and that they'll "take care of it". Pity, I was hoping for something a bit more... thorough:twisted:

Anyway, still $22. Hopefully it'll all go down well when I go there on sunday.

New page = new notice about my contest.

I'm giving away a beta invite code to the SOCOM Confrontation beta and would kinda like to give it away tonight so the winner can get in on the first-day goodness. Just PM me if you're interested. Only 2 entrants so far.

I would like to point out that this is a code which you enter into a website. Once you've done that, they email you the actual redemption code. After you redeem it, it can be shared with two other people. So, the chivalrous thing to do, would be for the winner to share the code with two other entrants. Just my two cents, can't force the winner to do that obviously.

Those of you thinking about picking up Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, the new EGM is out and gave it mediocre reviews. I'm gonna buy it anyway.

Judging by this week's GS coupon, looks like I'll be taking the week off from flipping.

Gamespot gave Mercenaries 2 a bleh score too, but I'm having fun with it thus far. As for the glitches, I think most games are released with some problems lately, since the companies figure they can release some bs patch and fix them, like they did with GTA IV.

I don't really go by reviews/scores, but rather my own personal experiences with a game. Even if a game sucks, chances are I paid less than retail for it, so I'm not out too much of my own money on it.

I saw the review of Force Unleashed in EGM this month(thanks to that free 1 year subscription thing many got in on) and again, you have to go by your own personal experience and not rely on some 'professional' opinion.

[quote name='gi60']Are you sure about the $ 199 price for the 20 GB? I just called 2 BB's and it's $ 259.99. Both store know me by name and been pretty good so I don't think they lie, and I also asked them to scan the UPC to make sure.[/quote]

That's what they told me too. Can anyone confirm the $199 price tag on the 20GB?

[quote name='unforeseen']Man, I thought io was old.

J/K io, you are still the best...like the wise, old sage that you are. :)[/QUOTE]

I am older than stone1061, but I'm not quite older than dirt... yet...

To put things in perspective, I was present on the Penn State campus (when my dad went back to school) as an infant/toddler and Joe Paterno was already an established coach by then ;). With the Oregon State game against them tomorrow there's a big article about him in the paper today so that's why I thought of that.

[quote name='TMNT770']todays trade in

Bad Company PS3 - 33
NBA Live 08 PS3 - 16

I picked up Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for PS3[/quote]

Same here, except I got it for 360 and used some off of a gift card. I got it for $38, not a bad game for the price

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you have access to a reliable high speed connection, try getting online with your PS3 copy when we have CAG GTA Night, which is usually Sundays at 9 pm EST.[/quote]

Thanks for the invite. :) I'll consider it in the future, but for now Sundays I'm usually busy with other things.

Hmm, maybe I'll hold off on clearing out that last $300 in BB credit. I wasn't exactly looking forward to driving in the opposite direction after my GS run and spending a few hours visiting the BB and 6 GS stores just to clear out the rest of the credit. With the crappy coupon this week I don't think I'll be able to add much back and I do have to pay off the preorders for :ds: Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir (out next week), :ds: Kirby: Super Star Ultra and :wii: Wario Land: Shake It (both out in 3 weeks). The GS ad also reminded me that :wii: Samba de Amigo will be out then as well. I'm tempted to preorder that too. :)

Also I was considering grabbing an Arcade and a 120GB HD that's on sale at GS this week for $149.99. I could get an Elite but I don't really need the cables or headset. However if the 20GB is the same price as an Arcade, that saves me some money. After all, I'm not sure how much I'd use the system and how much space I need just yet. Ah choices, choices...

[quote name='mkernan']New page = new notice about my contest.

I'm giving away a beta invite code to the SOCOM Confrontation beta and would kinda like to give it away tonight so the winner can get in on the first-day goodness. Just PM me if you're interested.[/quote]

OK, I've got other stuff to do later and I'm impatient. LOL. So, I'm gonna do the drawing at 8:00 CST (in 20 minutes). PM me fast if you want in. Only 4 entrants so far.

UPDATE: Congrats to DrNo888, the winner of the SOCOM beta code. Thanks to those who entered.

I wrote the names on paper, folded them up, and put them in a hat (my Mercs 2 beanie, lol). Then I had my daughter pull one out, so it was a random drawing.

I hate living in NY sometimes. My closest gamerush is in friggin staten island and theres no way im gonna take a trip to an island in the middle of nowhere to trade in my games. Here in westchester (suburbs of NYC) there isnt a corporate owned store anywhere and as such i get crap trade in values. Rockband for example trades in for $32 at gamerush stores, at the three stores near me it trades for $8! Ughh any suggestions for finding other corporate stores.

Mike

Fire Emblem with Wii was still 30, so I got rid of that. I guess Blockbuster isn't getting Sonic Chronicles, so I'll have to grab some games to transfer to Blockbuster. They had 2 of the bolded Wii games-- I'm gonna stop at another Blockbuster and see if I can find a store with three of them instock. If so, I can trade them and wind up with a copy of Sonic Chronicles for 20 bucks. I'm starting to see why people like to flip at Blockbuster-- and I'm not even trading to the best of my ability.

[quote name='miktau']I hate living in NY sometimes. My closest gamerush is in friggin staten island and theres no way im gonna take a trip to an island in the middle of nowhere to trade in my games. Here in westchester (suburbs of NYC) there isnt a corporate owned store anywhere and as such i get crap trade in values. Rockband for example trades in for $32 at gamerush stores, at the three stores near me it trades for $8! Ughh any suggestions for finding other corporate stores.

Mike[/QUOTE]

WOOHOO! I got the whole borough to myself!!!:bouncy:

Fairly uneventful day today. I traded Avatar TBE, RRR 2, and Crash of the Titans in for $43.60 at GS - so I made a whopping $3.63 off my BB credit ;).

So a few days ago I just bought Rock Band using the GS 25% off coupon for $29.xx. Apparently you can just transfer the tracks to your HD for 400 MS points right there from the menu? I had no idea till I saw that somewhere today (and I even asked in the Rock Band 2 thread about it and didn't get a straight answer). I thought you had to wait till you had the new game, and then you could do that - so I was gonna rent it, transfer, trade in the old one (hoping its value held), then buy the new one. But now, I think I may take it in to Blockbuster and trade it in on Sunday and preorder the new one if it isn't too late (getting another Wii sweeps entry to boot). I'd definitely pay $28 in BB credit + 400 MS points to get all the old songs plus the new game. Then I'll just buy a set of the new drums from either BB or GS (all I have right now for peripherals is a GH III guitar). That ought to keep my son busy for a while. He'll be pretty upset about not having Rock Band for a few days, especially as he hasn't gotten to play the last 2 because of various bad choices he has made... But the fact that I'll be buying the new one instead of just renting it ought to make things right. I want to trade on Sunday in case BB drops the price though I actually see no evidence of that (ie, it is still $59.99 new everywhere so no reason for Blockbuster to drop it).

i MIGHT buy a 360 in the near future, and after looking at my options, what the heck is the difference between a pro and an elite? would i be paying an extra $100 for an additional 60gb, an hdmi cable, and a black paint job? i don't see what's the point in buying the elite. can someone enlighten me?

bread's done
Back