The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Is it possible for MS to switch console that does not have RROD problem? My 360 is notoriously loud and I can't put up with ridiculously loud disc running sound while playing a game anymore, especially during night.

Okay, this is wierd. I've had no problems with my 360 and I believe it was manufactured in mid 2006. Anyways it seems to be starting to do a few wierd things which with my past 360s I haven't associated with the three rings, but who knows, and that's why I'm here.

Anyway everytime I put in a game it wants to download updates. So unless Ghost Recon 2, Halo 3, and COD4 all got updates today something is wierd. It just doesn't seem to be able to know that I've already downloaded these updates. Also all or my arcade games are freezing and occasionally it will freeze on the dashboard, but NEVER while I'm playing a regular game or movie.

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping this isn't a sign of RROD that I haven't heard of. Or that I'll have to format my harddrive and loose everything.

I've already cleared my cache and that didn't help, so if anyone has some suggestions or experienced something similar I'd love to hear about it.

[quote name='FrankySox']Okay, this is wierd. I've had no problems with my 360 and I believe it was manufactured in mid 2006. Anyways it seems to be starting to do a few wierd things which with my past 360s I haven't associated with the three rings, but who knows, and that's why I'm here.

Anyway everytime I put in a game it wants to download updates. So unless Ghost Recon 2, Halo 3, and COD4 all got updates today something is wierd. It just doesn't seem to be able to know that I've already downloaded these updates. Also all or my arcade games are freezing and occasionally it will freeze on the dashboard, but NEVER while I'm playing a regular game or movie.

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping this isn't a sign of RROD that I haven't heard of. Or that I'll have to format my harddrive and loose everything.

I've already cleared my cache and that didn't help, so if anyone has some suggestions or experienced something similar I'd love to hear about it.[/QUOTE]

Well clearing the cache makes you have to re-download updates again but I have found that certain games will make me re-update others. Like before I cleared my cache (which worked for me) everytime I update Gears I would have to re-update Call of Duty also. But you shouldn't worry about about the game updates that's normal. But the freezing could be a sign of an upcoming RRoD but my 360 dashboard freezes frequently causing me to have to reboot. It only seems to freeze when doing thing related to media to me but it seems like each 360 has it's own problem now a days. So if you are really paranoid I would call Micro$oft ahead of time and have your box already at the house with you to stop you from having to go through the entire process if/when your 360 acutally does go out.

[quote name='Jaybone203']Well clearing the cache makes you have to re-download updates again but I have found that certain games will make me re-update others. Like before I cleared my cache (which worked for me) everytime I update Gears I would have to re-update Call of Duty also. But you shouldn't worry about about the game updates that's normal. But the freezing could be a sign of an upcoming RRoD but my 360 dashboard freezes frequently causing me to have to reboot. It only seems to freeze when doing thing related to media to me but it seems like each 360 has it's own problem now a days. So if you are really paranoid I would call Micro$oft ahead of time and have your box already at the house with you to stop you from having to go through the entire process if/when your 360 acutally does go out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking about that, it's just really wierd that when I play regular DVD movies or games it's flawless but Puzzle Quest just wont work. Oh well just wait and see for me I guess.

Well i don't really want to erase anything. I can switch to thee 120 GB HDD and redownload all the arcade games. There's NO easy way just to move save files?

[quote name='Methadon']No, that drive only works for DVD playback. You can get an identical drive on ebay, and simply swap the circuitboard of your old one into the housing of the new drive, and plug back into your xbox 360. You cannot simply swap the drive, as your Xbox 360's unique key is stored in the firmware, and must match in order to playback any games (movies will work, regardless).

Feel free to PM me with any questions; I repair 360's, professionally.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Methadon, I appreciate your help!

Actually, i figured it out. I just logged into my account using the 120 GB HDD, redownloaded my arcade games, and moved my save files onto a memory card, transfering them to the 120 GB HDD.

*not tested*

Confirm this will work?

[quote name='the_punisher']Actually, i figured it out. I just logged into my account using the 120 GB HDD, redownloaded my arcade games, and moved my save files onto a memory card, transfering them to the 120 GB HDD.

*not tested*

Confirm this will work?[/QUOTE]

Why not just use the transfer cable. I don't think that the memory card thing would transfer but it would read. Plus memory cards aren't very expansive in memory and it would take forever to transfer everything seeing as how you would fill the card up multiple times.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was just wondering if it was possible to connect my 360 to XBL through my computer.

See, the room currently containing my game consoles and computer is sweltering. I can't even use my 360 during the day. It's just too damn hot. So, I'm moving everything to my basement. The only problem is, I have no direct internet connection down there. I can connect my Wii and computer wirelessly, but that still leaves my 360. There's no way in hell I'm spending more than $50 bucks for a wireless adapter when I'm only going to be living here for about another month or two. So, I was wondering if it's possible to connect to XBL through my wirelessly connected computer somehow.

(I'm sorry if this has an obvious answer. Be nice :oops:)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Well with these rumors of the Xbox360 pro dropping to $299 on July 13, I will hopefully go and get one. What I want to know is how to figure out if it is the most recent model?

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Thank you. That's exactly what I need. I hope I have all wires and cables I need...[/QUOTE]

If you don't you should hit up monoprice.com. I used to use internet connection sharing for xbox live, i just needed to buy a 3 ft crossover cable since I only had regular ethernet cables.

I am getting a Xbox360 soon since there will be the price cut of the pro to $299 on July 13, I would like to know how to tell if the console is the most recent model?

Going to use the EB Games 25% 360 games coupon. However, I am racking my brains deciding what to buy. It's between:

GTA IV

Or

GeoW + Crackdown

I've played all three games, but I just can't freaking decide. GeoW has great MP, and Crackdown has one helluva SP. GTA IV you kind of get both. Someone sway me one way or the other 'cause I can't decide...

Go for Gears & Crackdown. you also get the Gears Maps for free now so you cant go wrong for that combo. GTA seems to go on sale every couple of weeks to you can always find a deal on that.

I'm also going to say Gears of War and Crackdown. Im sure those two games will keep you busy for a while. They are both great games.

Why isn't GoW a sufficient acronym for Gears of War anymore?
Rather, why are you even using them?
Is it that difficult to type it out?

But I'd go for Gears of War and Crackdown.

[quote name='linkpwns']Why isn't GoW a sufficient acronym for Gears of War anymore?
Rather, why are you even using them?
Is it that difficult to type it out?

But I'd go for Gears of War and Crackdown.[/quote]

You know what, I'll humor you.

It's GeoW because GoW is more commonly known as God of War.

In all of them there is not much to do once you are done(360 ones). Basically in Crackdown you can beat the game in a day if you have a Rocket Launcher and Heavy Machine gun, and the DLC is only good if you just started. GTA has a great story line, but again, there is nothin to do when you are done. Its online is pretty good, maybe it will be better when the DLC comes out. Gears is not that great, I liked it but now there is a lot of glitches online and a bunch of 12 year old kids. They all have pros and cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go Gears and Crackdown, but I'm not a fan of the GTA series.

Gears is easily my favorite game this generation--just for the campaign never played the online multiplayer--got a 360 too late and didn't feel like jumping in with people who'd been playing it for a couple years.

Crackdown is good as well, just fnished it tonight. I thought it got pretty stale by the end, but I still mostly enjoyed it and would give it an 8.0 or so.

Crackdown is a fantastic game and probably one of the more underrated this generation. The game is fairly short if you just blast through it, but it's not meant to be played that way. Take your time and enjoy the whole superhero angle and you'll get a lot more enjoyment from it.

My 360 ringed my copy of Call of Duty 4 which is lame beyond belief. Is there anyway I can get a replacement disk from MS or Activision or something. I think it's pretty lame that MS's faulty console eats my disk and I'm so supposed to just bend over and by a new copy. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'll be the other lone gunman and say GTAIV. I still think it's mandatory to play that game if you consider yourself a hardcore player. It puts alot into perspective.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'll be the other lone gunman and say GTAIV. I still think it's mandatory to play that game if you consider yourself a hardcore player. It puts alot into perspective.[/quote]

Agreed, but Get Crackdown and Gears of War. Both games are rather short but amazing experiences. Crackdowns building jumping is straight up fun and Gears you can play by yourself and then play it again on the hardest level in co-op. Plus when your done GTAIV will have gone down in price and can get it alittle cheaper.

yeah, I still say get GTAIV but you still won't go wrong with Gears and Crackdown. I'd say you'll get the same amount of playtime with the 2 games vs. GTAIV just a bit more variety.

Well, if you're looking for multiplayer, you may want to reconsider purchasing Grand Theft Auto 4, as it's multiplayer is broken. If I were in your shoes, I'd pick up Gears of War: Refresh and Crackdown. I just think those games are more enjoyable.

Right Now go with GOW & Crackdown simply becuase they have a great single player & Co op Multiplayer experience. GTA IV has a great single player but has a So So Multiplayer. But I do recommend you pick GTA IV later.

[quote name='hotpocket']You know what, I'll humor you.

It's GeoW because GoW is more commonly known as God of War.[/QUOTE]

"GeoW" makes it look like some weird shortening of Geometry Wars. GoW is Gears of War.

Gears + Crackdown easily. In a straight-up Crackdown vs. GTAIV pick I'd probably STILL take Crackdown. Gears is the icing on the cake.

[quote name='magiic']My 360 ringed my copy of Call of Duty 4 which is lame beyond belief. Is there anyway I can get a replacement disk from MS or Activision or something. I think it's pretty lame that MS's faulty console eats my disk and I'm so supposed to just bend over and by a new copy. Does anyone have any experience with this?[/quote]

Are you getting lots a DRE's with COD4 because of the inner ring burn in? If not I wouldn't worry about it. If you really need to have spotless discs..then you could have it resurfaced for a small fee OR request another copy from the Activision but they might charge you a small fee as well.

[quote name='XXXplosive1']Go for Gears & Crackdown. you also get the Gears Maps for free now so you cant go wrong for that combo. GTA seems to go on sale every couple of weeks to you can always find a deal on that.[/quote]Agreed. Also, get your GoW playing in now before GoW2 comes out.

the disk locks up pretty much every half hour, for all intents and purposes it's useless

bread's done
Back