The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

I'm getting ready to pick one myself fairly soon, atleast a 19inch widescreen.

Best Buy had an ACER 19inch going for $120 +tax&shipping but I missed the deal & it went OOS:cry:

I went in to my local BB that is usually pretty on top of things. They had a new preorder sheet that included things like Spore Creatures for the DS (and a few other DS games that completely escape me at the moment), Rock Band 2 (both regular and SE bundles) for all systems, Gears of War 2, and a few others. But if anyone plans on getting Rock Band 2 from BB I would suggest preordering ASAP. I haven't decided myself between RB and GHWT - and of course they did not have GHWT on the preorder sheet (nor do they have Viva Pinata 2 or Animal Crossing - even in the system).

Anyway, I didn't have a chance to write them down because I got distracted by the clearance display of new games:

:360:
Enemy Territory Quake Wars $44.99
Grid $49.99
Narnia Price Caspian $34.99
Ninja Gaiden II $49.99
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 $39.99

:ps3:
Army of Two $39.99
Condemned 2 $29.99
Enemy Territory Quake Wars $44.99
Grid $49.99
Haze $39.99

:wii:
Blast Works $24.99
Bully $24.99
Super Mario Galaxy $39.99

Nothing mindblowing, but a decent discount if you are using cheap BB credit anyway. Hopefully they will continue to do this (would love to get Civ Rev eventually at a discount there). These prices ought to be univeral unless this is just a manager's special - but that seems unlikely as we've had other reports of SMG being $39.99. So even if they aren't marked this way, try having them ring one up if you are interested. I already have what I'd want out of that set of games so I didn't buy anything today and thus can't verify if it was automatic or required an override (I did trade in a MM 08 though ;)).

They are also offering some Summer Games pack with any $49.99 or more purchase. It consists of a blue drawstring bag with "Summer Games 2008" on it, a dry erase scoreboard, a megaphone popcorn bowl, inflatable noisemakers, temporary tattoos, and a winner's medal. Yeah, very strange - but if you are getting a game there anyway, you might as well grab one ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']:wii:
Bully $24.99[/quote]Hmmm...I may have to look for that one. I've been waiting for the local Targets to mark one down to $14.98, but ~$25 + tax in BB credit sounds like the less expensive way to go...

[quote name='blueman21']i am not a fan of RPGs. but i am a fan of almost all shooters and that is why i am getting the xbox[/quote]

Shooters eh? I imagine you'll be wanting to play with friends too, right? Here's some games I love to play with my friends:
-Halo 3
-Call of Duty 4
-Unreal Tournament 3 (although, it's only 2 player local)
-Ghost Recon 2 (i think it's only 2 player local, but i could be wrong... i never play this anymore to be honest, lol, but it was fun when i first had it)
-and Gears of War (again, 2 player local.

Just straight up shooters though, that aren't multiplayer...
-Bioshock
-Stranglehold
-The Orange Box

I'd also recommend Dead Rising, GTA IV, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six Vegas...

I caught March MADNESS after getting over octoMANIA from a few weeks ago.

The two employees working didn't know how to do trade-ins, so I had to wait for about 15 minutes for the manager to get off the phone to do it. While browsing, I noticed GT5 Prologue had a NEW case priced at $29.99, but that could be a typo since I also found a USED copy marked $29.99 as well which bummed me out. Since I had to wait, I came up with a plan to try and get one of the SCIV framed arts they had for people who bought the game. I decided to put down a pre-order for Fallout 3 and hope that got on his good side enough to get me the art for free, especially since I had to wait a while too. But, he told me it had "no resale value, so I can't sell or give you one" so my plan didn't work.

Fun Fact for the day: If you leave a Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme in the car for 15 minutes while waiting to trade in a single March Madness 08 for the xbox360 at Blockbuster, it will go soft and no longer be crunchy when you return to your car to eat it.

what do you guys think of the 360 bundle they have now for $349.99. It includes xbox 360 pro (20gb), game, controller, 4 free game rentals, and 3-month xbox live card. what be purchased on bbv credit of course.:lol:

I saw some signage about Wii consoles being bundled together with accessories last night as well. Couldn't get a good read on the actual sign, but it looked to include an extra Wiimote and nunchuk and some other things. Anyone know anything about it?

[quote name='JJSP']I saw some signage about Wii consoles being bundled together with accessories last night as well. Couldn't get a good read on the actual sign, but it looked to include an extra Wiimote and nunchuk and some other things. Anyone know anything about it?[/QUOTE]

I saw one of those myself. The price was $409. I think it came with extra set of controllers, rental card and maybe a game not really sure, but I am positive that it was that price.

[quote name='king007']what do you guys think of the 360 bundle they have now for $349.99. It includes xbox 360 pro (20gb), game, controller, 4 free game rentals, and 3-month xbox live card. what be purchased on bbv credit of course.:lol:[/quote]

Saw these today at 2 different stores but not at a third store. It's a good deal by their pricing. The control retails for $50 at BB and the console retails for $300, so everything else is a bonus. The game I saw bundled with it was Blue Dragon, which they sell for $30 new. Game rental prices vary by store but cheapest is prolly $5 a pop, so $20 in game rentals.

I have a little over $400 in credit and toying with the idea of getting one of these bundles. I really like the idea of streaming Netflix movies this fall, although I can actually do that now with the PC connected to my TV.

I have 2 more copies of March Madness to trade in and then I'm done. If I don't get a 360, I guess I can buy new releases for the rest of the year. I want Rock Band 2 for PS3 and maybe a second guitar, and I'm sure there are plenty of Wii games coming out I'll want.

TIV For today:
Uncharted $23

Pretty bummed, thought it was thirty and I was gonna get SC4 with the credit.

We southwest oklahoman's just don't have the flipping capability of you city folk lol.

[quote name='nakanenui']There was a new :ps3: SST at the Fox Hills mall GS in culver, ca that I left. Still might be worth the 15->23 to move credit.[/quote]

I've been meaning to pick up that SST. I have to go back to a BB near there because they gave me SW:RotS instead of SW:JK2 Xbox. FWIW, the SST PS3 in the Manhattan Beach GS is disc only.

SST PS3 should be more like $11.2x-> $23 (after 10% coupon, Edge and CA tax).

I'm down to 18 bucks in credit at GS, but managed to double it up more or less through March Madness, Kane and Lynch, and RSV. I have NCAA 09 College Football, but the manager won't let me return it for store credit because apparently I returned something once already to get the game, so I'd have to do an exchange or trade the game in.

So when your account has been flagged at one store, is it wise to set up an account at another store where you havent traded in before. BTW, I believe I got flagged because I traded in Octo the day before the price drop, which makes it suspicious -_- Like I had somehow manipulated the system so I could get a higher price XP

[quote name='TURBO']is the Eye Of Judgment just the game or the game, cards & camera?[/quote]

Acceptance of the game is YMMV because you can trade it in without the camera and cards.

[quote name='TURBO']is the Eye Of Judgment just the game or the game, cards & camera?[/quote]

The TIV is for all of it cards and everything. You have some clueless employees that will take just the game but the value is intended for the whole thing. I traded in about 10 game only copies. Go to trade in another game and im alerted to the fact that the accessories should have been included but no penalty was accessed. But you run the risk of screwing over an employee who doesnt know better by trading it in game only.

get this. it's 16:9 which is what you want if you want to game & watch TV on it too. (most are 16:10 ratio which is bad for games & TV)

brand new model, dell S2409W

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15212

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7345

More follow-up on my GS "ban". DM called me AGAIN today to apologize for the "whole mess". Said that any hold on my account should be cleared and if I had any problems at a store, tell the clerk to call him. Didn't tell him I had already traded a few games last weekend so I knew the hold was lifted.:D:D

He also told me that with IT they found the reason my account was flagged. He told me any account with an edge card balance of over $750 is AUTOMATICALLY flagged by the system. His words. He suggested that the next time I trade to simply put it on a new edge card in the store, they are free. To me this implies that the system looks for total credit per edge card rather than per account.

Just some extra info....

[quote name='TURBO']get this. it's 16:9 which is what you want if you want to game & watch TV on it too. (most are 16:10 ratio which is bad for games & TV)

[/quote]

Have the scaling go to 1:1, if you have it on wide or zoom, it looks like crap.

I have this, that I bought recently
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

360 connected through component and laptop connected through vga. Even though the price says $329.99, double check at your BB, since it rung up for $266.99 at my BB store that I went to.

^

What's intersting about that is that I have had a $690 card in my pocket for over 2 months, and have been using a second card for all purchases and transactions with no issues whatsoever. This would tell me that I picked almost EXACTLY the right time to stop with that card. :)

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Have the scaling go to 1:1, if you have it on wide or zoom, it looks like crap.

I have this, that I bought recently
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

360 connected through component and laptop connected through vga. Even though the price says $329.99, double check at your BB, since it rung up for $266.99 at my BB store that I went to.[/QUOTE]
if you have it 1:1 it will be tiny unless its a 720p monitor. i.e. on that monitor you listed it would only display on 50% of the screen or roughly a 15" diagonal screen. 15" is tiny

[quote name='TURBO']if you have it 1:1 it will be tiny unless its a 720p monitor. i.e. on that monitor you listed it would only display on 50% of the screen or roughly a 15" diagonal screen. 15" is tiny[/quote]

It looks pretty big when I have it at 1:1. It has black bars on the top and bottom that take up 1" each. The monitor can go to 720p. Also, the screen displays more than 15".

Well...I think its fine with me.

well its just the simple Pythagorean theorem. a2 + b2 = c2

22" is 17" x 13"

15" is 13" x 9"
roughly

so 1650/17 = 97 pixels per inch

1280/97 = 13 inches wide

I just got a Samsung 2053BW and it's fucking awesome. Only I have to wait for the fall update because it's a 16:10 monitor and the lameass 360 doesn't do pixel mapping even though the monitor does.

yesterday i went to trade-in NCAA MM 08 and as I was doing so, one of the guys was being trained to do trade-ins. The guy training him walked him through the steps and right at the end of his explanation says, "This guy buys the games he trades in somewhere else and immediately flips them here." I was like WOAH! how the hell did he know that..and I just kinda smiled and didn't say a word, as they put my $23 in credit onto my value card. First time an employee has actually been wise to my "scheme" o_O

[quote name='animemaniac14']yesterday i went to trade-in NCAA MM 08 and as I was doing so, one of the guys was being trained to do trade-ins. The guy training him walked him through the steps and right at the end of his explanation says, "This guy buys the games he trades in somewhere else and immediately flips them here." I was like WOAH! how the hell did he know that..and I just kinda smiled and didn't say a word, as they put my $23 in credit onto my value card. First time an employee has actually been wise to my "scheme" o_O[/quote]

LOL training on how to identify flippers. They're getting smarter...

[quote name='heatdolphins45']If Harry Potter PS3 held at $16 it could be a great flip. It's $6.80 after EDGE and 50% off at EB/GS.[/quote]

Which one, since I only see Order Of The Phoenix for PS3 online and it's stuck at $19.99 on their site.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which one, since I only see Order Of The Phoenix for PS3 online and it's stuck at $19.99 on their site.[/quote]

It's actually $8 after EDGE, corrected my post. Someone reported it being $16.99 but it's actually $19.99 before the 50% off.

But, I noticed that the other 50% off games are all marked AS 50% off, even if they're listed as 'not available online'. But, Harry Potter isn't. Maybe they just forgot it? I hope, since I may pick up one of that and one MM 08 to try and flip before the days end.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which one, since I only see Order Of The Phoenix for PS3 online and it's stuck at $19.99 on their site.[/quote]

i didnt think any of the ps3 games were included in that promo

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But, I noticed that the other 50% off games are all marked AS 50% off, even if they're listed as 'not available online'. But, Harry Potter isn't. Maybe they just forgot it? I hope, since I may pick up one of that and one MM 08 to try and flip before the days end.[/quote]

It wasn't part of the original list so that's probably why, I went to my local GS and they had a big bin with all the 50% off games. Harry Potter was the only PS3 title. I might have to go back and pick it up myself if it still trades in for $16.

I'm gonna grab a march madness (still get $23 correct?) and buy a 2gb mem stick for my psp which i will also pick up today.

Guitar Hero 2 (360) - $22

I'll be trading in a WSOP (360), NCAA MM 08, and Dancing with the Stars tomorrow, so heres hoping they don't drop.

[quote name='Bezerker']Guitar Hero 2 (360) - $22

I'll be trading in a WSOP (360), NCAA MM 08, and Dancing with the Stars tomorrow, so heres hoping they don't drop.[/QUOTE]

thats why i'm going today to make sure i get the current tiv.

Was everybody else getting MM08 for 9.99 at gamestop? My edge card took off 2.50 off of the original price. I was just wondering if I had a manager pulling off some magic or whether this happens for everybody. Boy, gamestop employees sure are nice when you send e-mails to corporate!

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Was everybody else getting MM08 for 9.99 at gamestop? My edge card took off 2.50 off of the original price. I was just wondering if I had a manager pulling off some magic or whether this happens for everybody. Boy, gamestop employees sure are nice when you send e-mails to corporate![/QUOTE]

I got mine for 9.99 as well.

aah nice flips I was thinking of flipping a random games from GS to BBV to continue my movie pass =p. But I might actually able to buy some games =). thanks everyone. And about the not trading in same district thingy it's bullshit. They still communicate with each other. I traded F4 @ 4 different districts and they still knew how many i traded in total lol and they even knew what i've been doing with the credits I got from flippings. One of the DM happened to met me at the store one day and informed me my account was being audited for loss prevention, but after talking to him for 10min he said well i just want to informed you about that but you're cleared you can trade and let me traded more games lol. It's all about your luck. Sometime you meet douche bags managers on duty sometime you meet nice easy going ones.

bread's done
Back