The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

What are BB's movie trade ins like? I just ordered like 16 movies and wanted to trade in the fillers if I could get a few bucks for them.

[quote name='yukafls']Don't turn in MGS4, you could get more on ebay. Heck, you could get more here on CAG. You could trade it here or sell it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% set on trading it, I was just curious about how much I'd get to see if it's worth it.

If the difference isn't big, I'd really rather not deal with ebay. I've had bad experiences.

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone have an updated TIV for Spiderwick Chronicles (Wii/PS3/360)? MicroCenter has every version of it on sale for $9.99.[/quote]

TIV for SC two weeks ago:

Wii - $17
360 - $16

After tax its not worth it for me. Someone check out the ps3 version, though.

[quote name='weguzs']LOL

GS Web Page error

Price Drop -
Old Price: $200,388.00
Save $200,333.01
clear.gif
[/quote]

What item :whistle2:s

LOL since someone posted that link to all the gamrush stores and there wern;t any in california. well the BBV I traded in K&L into today was a full blown gamerush, but without the game or rush part. Their sign on their building had a tiny blockbuster symbol, followed by a huge GAMERUSH logo. WTF, they had barely any games stuff, just a small corner and the cashier didn't even now the the psp takes a pro stick duo, or that an sd card would not work.

Ok so of course when I think to use my scanner, it won't work. Anyways the coupon I mentioned has the blockbuster logo on top it says "Pre-order upcoming games today at BLOCKBUSTER!" Then it shows a couple upcoming games but at my blockbuster it works for all reserves and not just those pictured. Then the actual cutout parts says "20% Bonus Trade-In Credit. When you trade in any games toward the reservation of any upcoming game." Then in smaller text it says Full trade value amount must be applied toward reservation, trades must meet criteria yadayadayada." Thing that sucks though is that in huge bold letters at the bottom it says "ONLY VALID AT BLOCKBUSTER LOCATED AT..." the blockbuster closest to my house. Something you guys can ask about but I'm thinking that it's just something a manager okayed to get people to start trading stuff. Sorry about the fake out.

[quote name='luan87us']please man i'm not trying to argue with anyone here but wtf is a kind of exercise standing in front of your TV? lol. I rather spend 90$ and get a gym membership and get a "REAL" work out lol.[/quote]

I don't know if you've been to the gym, but most of them have TVs that you watch while you're working out. My gym has 24 TVs lined up in a row so that people on the exercise machines can stare like zombies while they work out. At least with the Wii Fit you're interacting with the TV. Don't go assuming that you're gonna buff yourself up playing Wii Fit, but also don't assume you won't get anything out of it. You'll see results using a jump rope in your living room if you do it enough, at least Wii Fit is a bit more interesting.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone trade in any of these recently or know the TIV?

I'll probably just go tomorrow and see, but it would be cool to get an idea:

MGS4
Disgaea (PS2)
Atelier Iris 2
Jak and Daxter
Dungeon Siege (PSP)
Dark Cloud 2

I was going to take them to GS...but decided I'd rather not.[/quote]

[quote name='yukafls']Don't turn in MGS4, you could get more on ebay. Heck, you could get more here on CAG. You could trade it here or sell it.[/quote]

Hell...I'd say MGS4 would be the only tradeable one. It probably gets $30 or so at BBV -- the rest will get a pittance as they are all older PS2/PSP games. Dungeon Siege sells for $9.99, so it only gets $6 max. You could easily get $15-20 apiece for everything but Jak & Daxter online, or trade them for some decent stuff on here or Goozex. Otherwise, no more than $3-8 each at BBV.

[quote name='king007']Damn you too !! Again its a $20 flip. $19.99 after promo and edge. No tax here. Buy 2 and trade 2. Its a $20 flip.[/quote]

But, for those of us who procrastinated on the $2 Edge card deal and don't have a printer to print up whatever promo it is you're talking about AND take advantage of the Edge discount as well, then it's ONLY a $5 flip.

And, to me(and many others), it's just NOT worth it.

I traded in the following yesterday(the guy originally quoted me the used prices as the TIV's, I should've held him to that):

Sega Superstar Tennis(PS3)-$23
Rainbow Six Vegas(PS3)-$16

I was REALLY shocked by the TIV for RSV, since most other places probably only give half that for it, I'm sure.

If you're flipping in any capacity, an EDGE card is a necessity. I paid $15 and have no regrets, as I've saved $200 in a little over a month.

This may be a real cash flip, but I thought I would throw it out there. Amazon has Hot Shot Golf(PS3) for $26, and I would assume it trades in for $36 at BB? With free shipping and no tax, it would make for a good flip....

[quote name='GuardianE']If you're flipping in any capacity, an EDGE card is a necessity. I paid $15 and have no regrets, as I've saved $200 in a little over a month.[/quote]

Unless something gets over $5 in TIV over the price I paid for something, it's not a worthwhile flip for me. Plus, I despise Game Informer since they were gobbled up by the monolith known as Gamestop. They have some really shittastic, biased reviews anymore and more ads than any magazine I've ever seen in my life. If the card were available sans magazine for $2-5 or the mag/card combo was only $10 like when Funcoland used to do it, then I might consider it. Otherwise it's a waste for me, since I buy maybe 3 games from Gamestop during an average year and most of those are sub $5 ones that I missed out on buying on clearance someplace.

[quote name='Fira']how do you get an edge card, and whats the tiv for resistance and gta4(ps3) at blockbuster[/quote]

Here's the thread that I still haven't taken advantage of. It lets you get the Edge card for $2 for mailing in a check with a print up of a subscription card that was in some older Game Informer magazines. They have since 'corrected' the card in newer issues, so you can't still find this deal in magazines off the shelf.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153027&highlight=Edge+card

[quote name='DarthPuma']What are BB's movie trade ins like? I just ordered like 16 movies and wanted to trade in the fillers if I could get a few bucks for them.[/quote]

As a mere comparison test, I decided to check the TIV for Boondocks Season 1. It retails for about $25-40, yet BBV offered $1.50. :roll: On the other hand, GS offered $8 and Suncoast offered $10.

[quote name='Guerrilla']As a mere comparison test, I decided to check the TIV for Boondocks Season 1. It retails for about $25-40, yet BBV offered $1.50. :roll: On the other hand, GS offered $8 and Suncoast offered $10.[/quote]

If you ever wanna get rid of it, I'd offer like $12 for it, though I could get it new at Wally World for $21.19 after tax. Love the show......hopefully there's a third season upcoming.

[quote name='Guerrilla']As a mere comparison test, I decided to check the TIV for Boondocks Season 1. It retails for about $25-40, yet BBV offered $1.50. :roll: On the other hand, GS offered $8 and Suncoast offered $10.[/quote]

Oh well, I'll just keep the fillers to pad my collection. The only cost me like a quarter.

Or check out hastings. They usually have good TIV's.

[quote name='DarthPuma']What are BB's movie trade ins like?[/quote]

trading movies to BB = trading games to GS w/out promos.
It's just a miserable deal all the way around.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unless something gets over $5 in TIV over the price I paid for something, it's not a worthwhile flip for me. Plus, I despise Game Informer since they were gobbled up by the monolith known as Gamestop. They have some really shittastic, biased reviews anymore and more ads than any magazine I've ever seen in my life. If the card were available sans magazine for $2-5 or the mag/card combo was only $10 like when Funcoland used to do it, then I might consider it. Otherwise it's a waste for me, since I buy maybe 3 games from Gamestop during an average year and most of those are sub $5 ones that I missed out on buying on clearance someplace.
[/quote]

What you're talking about is trading in games, not flipping them. I said that the Edge card is essential if you're trying to do any sort of flipping. There's a difference. I'll absolutely agree that I wouldn't trade in a game I bought for myself if it gets below $5, but when we're just using fodder at BBV to trade into Gamestop, it becomes a completely different matter. A stack of 10 games at a profit of $4 a piece gets you a nice $40 profit and the Edge helps. Actually, my point is pretty moot because most games that people have been flipping for the past month have gotten at least $7.50 at Gamestop (with Edge).

As for Game Informer, I don't really read it. Hell, use it to fuel your fireplace for all I care. All I know is that I spent $15 and with trading alone have made a $150 boost.

Also, keep in mind that we're using credit to make credit. No cash is being used, so any boost in credit is worthwhile (within reason) when we're talking about flipping. If anyone's using cash at this point, they're missing the point.

But if you really don't flip or buy Used games from Gamestop, you're right. There's no reason to pick up the card.

ahem

[quote name='whatup5']TIV for SC two weeks ago:

Wii - $17
360 - $16

After tax its not worth it for me. Someone check out the ps3 version, though.[/quote]

[quote name='GuardianE']What you're talking about is trading in games, not flipping them. I said that the Edge card is essential if you're trying to do any sort of flipping. There's a difference. I'll absolutely agree that I wouldn't trade in a game I bought for myself if it gets below $5, but when we're just using fodder at BBV to trade into Gamestop, it becomes a completely different matter. A stack of 10 games at a profit of $4 a piece gets you a nice $40 profit and the Edge helps. Actually, my point is pretty moot because most games that people have been flipping for the past month have gotten at least $7.50 at Gamestop (with Edge).

As for Game Informer, I don't really read it. Hell, use it to fuel your fireplace for all I care. All I know is that I spent $15 and with trading alone have made a $150 boost.

Also, keep in mind that we're using credit to make credit. No cash is being used, so any boost in credit is worthwhile (within reason) when we're talking about flipping. If anyone's using cash at this point, they're missing the point.

But if you really don't flip or buy Used games from Gamestop, you're right. There's no reason to pick up the card.[/quote]

I'm the type of person who doesn't like leaving credit sit at any one store for too long though, especially since the Sharper Image gift card debacle, where tons of people are SOL now. Plus, even though I normally never carry the cards with me, I'm always afraid of losing them or having someone in my household get overzealous and toss them out on me.

I've actually been using CASH to pay for the few games I have been flipping, though most of them were bought from clearances(Kmart, Target, etc)and for not very much.

I also have WAYYYYY too many back issues of magazines(that I've been trying to clear out via my TL, but that ain't working)as it is already, so 12 months worth of Lame Informer would just clutter up the house even more. Although, I have been donating my more recent magazines to a buddy of mine, so not so much anymore. I also don't have a fireplace or I would probably burn 'em for heat when winter comes along.

Anyone know the TIV of CoD2 or CoD3? I recently came across both games at my local MovieTradingCompany for 9.99.

[quote name='triple07']Anyone know the TIV of CoD2 or CoD3? I recently came across both games at my local MovieTradingCompany for 9.99.[/quote]

System? If :360:, last values were under $10.. COD3 for :ps3: may be more, though.

[quote name='triple07']Anyone know the TIV of CoD2 or CoD3? I recently came across both games at my local MovieTradingCompany for 9.99.[/quote]

considering they sell at BB for 9.99 and 14.99 respectively, I'd say your chances of a great return are minimal at best.

so what game is currently doubling the profit at BBV? Octomania was the lastest game flipped for double about 7 copies of it! :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unless something gets over $5 in TIV over the price I paid for something, it's not a worthwhile flip for me. Plus, I despise Game Informer since they were gobbled up by the monolith known as Gamestop. They have some really shittastic, biased reviews anymore and more ads than any magazine I've ever seen in my life. If the card were available sans magazine for $2-5 or the mag/card combo was only $10 like when Funcoland used to do it, then I might consider it. Otherwise it's a waste for me, since I buy maybe 3 games from Gamestop during an average year and most of those are sub $5 ones that I missed out on buying on clearance someplace.

Here's the thread that I still haven't taken advantage of. It lets you get the Edge card for $2 for mailing in a check with a print up of a subscription card that was in some older Game Informer magazines. They have since 'corrected' the card in newer issues, so you can't still find this deal in magazines off the shelf.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153027&highlight=Edge+card[/quote]

You know you're actually quite wrong about Game Informer being owned by GameStop, they are actually an independant company, and compared to most game magazines (e.g EGM), they are at the top of their game, I love the big screen shots.

[quote name='stoned99']You know you're actually quite wrong about Game Informer being owned by GameStop, they are actually an independant company, and compared to most game magazines (e.g EGM), they are at the top of their game, I love the big screen shots.[/quote]

While I don't trust Wikipedia's information as gospel, since it IS user edited I believe, this page tends to tell a different story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Informer

And I quote:

Game Informer (often abbreviated to GI) is an American-based monthly magazine featuring articles, news, strategy, and reviews of popular video games and associated consoles. Formed in August 1991, the magazine has nearly 3 million subscribers according to Andrew Reiner, making it the highest circulated video game magazine, and as of the first quarter of 2007, it is listed as the 23rd largest overall magazine. Game Informer is now ranked among the top four magazines for reaching males 18 to 34.

It is owned and published by GameStop Corp., the parent company of the video game retailer of the same name. Due to this, a large amount of promotion is done in-store, which has contributed heavily to its large subscription base, especially as a subscription is included with the store's Gamer's Edge discount card.

Meh.

Good News - I managed to convert $766 of my original $900+ credit into 8 Wii Fits and have enough left over to buy one more. I just hope they sell quickly. I want my damn bundle.

Bad News - The district manager had forgotten to inform all of the BBVs I traded at that my account was no longer flagged and because of that I sort of got into a minor argument with the store manager. Needless to say when it was all said and done I left the store with their remaining Wii Fit and his assurance that there was no problems.

...Of course I don't at all believe him since he questioned me about where I bought my games (didn't give him any locations or specifics whatsoever other than friends), insisted I was functioning as a business by buying the Wii Fit and probably selling it somewhere else (never mentioned or admitted this), mentioned the damn term "flipping" and assured me although he had no problems with me personally and stealing was never the issue (despite what I was told) that what I was doing was of course frowned upon.

Well woopee frickin' doo. I wouldn't have had to go through all of this trouble if your store kept up with demand and had what I wanted for sale, but whatever. I expect heavy resistance or yet another meteorite sized curve ball of molten bullshit later today or tomorrow when I venture into another store to search for and purchase the last Wii Fit. For the life of me I can't understand why they need my damn membership card for a purchase of anything in the first place.

I don't know about the rest of you but this constant drama is wearing me down. Once the store that fixed my account flags it for whatever reason when I get back to flipping I will revert back to avoiding Blockbuster like the plague from then on as I had been doing before I caught wind of this wonderful thread.

Keep your wits about you kids and as always... thanks for everything.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While I don't trust Wikipedia's information as gospel, since it IS user edited I believe, this page tends to tell a different story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Informer

And I quote:[/quote]

OK, I researched it for myself and you are correct Gamestop does own and operate Game Informer. My failing was listening to two different managers at two different gamestop stores, so I'm guessing Gamestop do not want joe public thinking they own GI.

I still stand by my statement that GI is the absolute best gameing magazine published today, the only thing that comes close is the free online / pdf only ezines I receive from www.gamerzines.com

They ARE decent on the large pictures, I'll give them that, but many of the reviews still DO come off as biased. I still wish that the EB policy of giving you the card for $5 for a year was in place though, since I hardly ever read any of the major stories in the GI magazines, though the one about internet gaming got me very intrigued a bunch of years ago.

Basically, to sum it up, a company that did online gaming in the 90's later became AOL after almost going bankrupt.

Just got back from BBV/GS

I used that 10% email coupon along with the EDGE card and got K&L for $19.99

Went to BBV and I am confused what happened. I felt bad that I have over $150 in credit so I handed the game to her and said "I want to trade this in and pre order the new SOCOM". So it looks like I only got $25 for my K&L but she might have put $5 down on the SOCOM preorder? I have no idea. Oh, and what exactly is $5 down? I feel like a noob asking this but I have never fully understood it. Am I basically paying $65 for a game?

Luckily as I was trying to figure out what happened, I saw 2 Wii Fits behind the counter. A guy/his family bought one as I was looking at it and there was 1 left, I asked if it was reserved, it wasn't, and I snagged that. So I got SOCOM and Wii Fit, pretty good haul for me.

Bottom line: I think K&L (360) $19.99 GS---> $25 BBV

Today's Trade In:
Bad Company PS3 - 36
Hulk Xbox 360 -35
Grand Theft Auto IV PS3 - 15 - didnt trade it in
Resistance - 15 - didnt trade it in
Heavenly Sword - 23

Picked up my peorder Madden 09 collectors, Madden 09 regular & Preorder Midnight Club: Los Angeles PS3

[quote name='Quintox']J I have no idea. Oh, and what exactly is $5 down?
[/quote]

$5 down is toward the purchase price of the game, on release day you pay the other $55. As for getting $25 TIV on K&L that's odd because I traded 2 in for $30 each yesterday....

[quote name='heatdolphins45']$5 down is toward the purchase price of the game, on release day you pay the other $55. As for getting $25 TIV on K&L that's odd because I traded 2 in for $30 each yesterday....[/quote]

That's what I'm trying to figure out, she must of somehow taken $5 off of my K&L TIV.

Did you trade in the 360 version? Well today is Tuesday which is when they drop TIVs, correct?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm the type of person who doesn't like leaving credit sit at any one store for too long though, especially since the Sharper Image gift card debacle, where tons of people are SOL now. [/quote]

dude, i understand where you are coming from. i have $436 right now at blockbuster that i want to spend fast but i have nothing to spend it on. planned to get a 360 but i decided to cut down on gaming and just stick with the ps3 and leech off of my homeboys 360. the way you cags and the lurkers abuse bbv i'm keeping an eye out just in case they file for bankruptcy.

[quote name='alexiel']dude, i understand where you are coming from. i have $436 right now at blockbuster that i want to spend fast but i have nothing to spend it on. planned to get a 360 but i decided to cut down on gaming and just stick with the ps3 and leech off of my homeboys 360. the way you cags and the lurkers abuse bbv i'm keeping an eye out just in case they file for bankruptcy.[/quote]

If they close shop, they'll have a Going Out of Business Sale.

Everyone wins. ;)

And as long as you keep credit on multiple cards, I don't see losing a card being a great concern. I, myself, have seven different Gamestop cards.

I've found several great deals at the Toys R Us clearance for the 360, including several games and a $20 hard drive. Been excited to get an Arcade system when the price drops next month.

-A few questions for the 360 sage's at CAG:
-Better to wait for some systems to clear out and look for the newest chipset?
-Will the Arcade system get the new chipset?
-If there's not much difference, should I just get one from Amazon with Prime and price adjust early next month?

Thanks!

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...
For the life of me I can't understand why they need my damn membership card for a purchase of anything in the first place.
...[/quote]

They don't. They are supposed to try and get you to use your membership card for all purchases, but you don't have to. Just tell them you don't have it, or don't want to.

If you're paying with Value Card, Gift Card, cash, or credit card, they can make the sale without a membership card.

[quote name='alexiel']dude, i understand where you are coming from. i have $436 right now at blockbuster that i want to spend fast but i have nothing to spend it on. planned to get a 360 but i decided to cut down on gaming and just stick with the ps3 and leech off of my homeboys 360. the way you cags and the lurkers abuse bbv i'm keeping an eye out just in case they file for bankruptcy.[/quote]

You do realize that Blockbuster recently offered to buy Circuit City? They have enough capital to swing, and then some. Sure, they totally failed at online distribution - and their Netflix copycat routine failed, but they certainly aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

[quote name='dys006']They don't. They are supposed to try and get you to use your membership card for all purchases, but you don't have to. Just tell them you don't have it, or don't want to.

If you're paying with Value Card, Gift Card, cash, or credit card, they can make the sale without a membership card.[/quote]

Thank you. If I can move the WFs I have now I'll remember that when I buy the last one. Only time will tell but regardless I still feel a hell of a lot more content waiting now that I'm in the driver's seat instead of e-mailing and calling BBV every week begging them to close a damn sale. ;\

Although I'd like to make a profit ($300 - $600 is ideal) if I can cash completely out I won't press my luck afterward.

All the stores here got at least 3 wii's and wii fits. I picked up two Wii Fits and they will be up on ebay shortly ;-).

I stupidly bought them on the same receipt, so only one winner will get one, but hey, its not a Microsoft product, so I doubt they'll have any issues with it.

I'm trying to get media center to work with my Xbox 360. I have setup media center and the 360 has my pics, music, etc. on it. Or, was it streamed? What I'm trying to figure is a couple of things.

1.) Do I need Windows Media Connect for something?
2.) How do I set some of the pics that I have on my PC as my background/theme on my 360?
3.) How does the record Live TV thing work?
4.) How do I know if my TV has a tuner card?
5.) How do I get my music, pics, etc. to stay on my 360 for good?

I have researched some of the previous questions so there is no need to give the, "Try searching google!" answer. Thanks for any help presented.

Hey guys I saw eye of judgement complete set with camera and game in circuit city for 40 should I buy it keep the game or sell it to BB the game only no camera? Oh ya how much is the TV for it again sorry.

[quote name='filanime03']Hey guys I saw eye of judgement complete set with camera and game in circuit city for 40 should I buy it keep the game or sell it to BB the game only no camera? Oh ya how much is the TV for it again sorry.[/quote]

TIV is $33 last time it was checked; I sold my camera for $20 on ebay, and sold 3 of the rare cards for another $20. The bundle has the chance of coming with a single card worth at least $40 but should at least guaranty 1 or 2 $5 cards..

[quote name='Bezerker']All the stores here got at least 3 wii's and wii fits. I picked up two Wii Fits and they will be up on ebay shortly ;-).

I stupidly bought them on the same receipt, so only one winner will get one, but hey, its not a Microsoft product, so I doubt they'll have any issues with it.[/quote]

Haha, thanks for the info - drove 1/2 a mile and they still had 2 left at a BBV near me. Still got about 75 bucks credit there - maybe i'll throw them a Rock Band 2 preorder granted Gamestop doesn't do anything special for it

bread's done
Back