The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

GS to BB on my lunch break:

:wii:Sea Monsters - $23
:ps3: Hellboy - $36

... I also tried to trade a copy of AITD i found at Gamestop, but she wouldn't take it due to no cover. Is this a problem at every BB? I think I'll sneak out an original cover from the rentals if so. Seems like my best bet.

[quote name='jmiller']I will let you know about that mythical trade in limit of 10000 by this Jan. I currently have 2300 in credit and I have bought 2 wiis, 3 wii fits, 2 pokemon ds lites, 1 psp god of war psp 1 60 GB ps 3 and a 1600 dollar sony 40 inch tv,and countless games to flip to GS all with credit from BB. I started flipping in Feb of 2008. Its fun but I hope to get at least a couple of thousand more when GS starts buy2 get one free promotions.[/quote]

how'd you get a TV? Gamestop or BB? I never knew that.

[quote name='xfade']how'd you get a TV? Gamestop or BB? I never knew that.[/quote]
Methinks he's near one of the Dallas concept Blockbuster stores that sell high-end electronics. There's a few of them in the DFW area, I believe.

[quote name='Capa']I started with $200 during the B1g1 at BB, I've put another $400 or so in over the last couple mos(like $200 to CC to get AITD, Fire Emblems, Dragon Quests, etc). I've spent around $1000 on games/accessories for myself to keep, 8 wii, I just picked up my 5th and 6th wii fits, I have 4 Warhammer CEs, and 10 copies of WiiSports. If you figure in my credit I'm sitting on now, I've profited around $4500, so a total trade in amt of 10,000 would be close I think[/quote]

Wow!

*sigh*

So I was playing College Hoops 2k7 when my power went out in my apartment briefly. It came back on, but when I tried to restart my 360, the wireless controller would not connect to the 360.

The guide button on the controller would flash off and on, but would not respond to the 360. And yes I tried to resynchronize the controller and the console, but it did not work.

The funny thing is that I can still turn on my console with the guide button on the controller, but I can't do anything else.

Is it something with the actual console?

[quote name='Capa']I started with $200 during the B1g1 at BB, I've put another $400 or so in over the last couple mos(like $200 to CC to get AITD, Fire Emblems, Dragon Quests, etc). I've spent around $1000 on games/accessories for myself to keep, 8 wii, I just picked up my 5th and 6th wii fits, I have 4 Warhammer CEs, and 10 copies of WiiSports. If you figure in my credit I'm sitting on now, I've profited around $4500, so a total trade in amt of 10,000 would be close I think[/quote]

*gasp!* *has envious heartattack and dies...*

Hey any of you know how the activation for the
PSN Cards (pre-pay sony cards) work
The people at my stores don't know how to activate them to sell them

Just a quick question.
Is the extended MS 3year warranty on the RROD good for 3 years from purchase date? Or is it an extension of some other warranty.
The reason I ask is because the 360 was launched in November of 2005. So for those who have launch systems that still work, does the 3 year extended warranty end this November or next November.

If it ends this year, I may just go ahead and take advantage of the Elite for $299 at Dell. If it extends for another year, 6 months, or whatever, I'll just keep plugging away on my launch unit.

AFAIK the only activation is when they scan it for you to buy. They just scanned it, I took it home and put in the code you scratch off and bam, $20 on my account.

alright, i go to another store if they give the same shit. i just have to wait till someone smart starts to work there..

[quote name='GuardianE']I hate to say it, but it's really no wonder that you're banned, unless (like Kunai) you had friend managers at those locations. I've been easing off a little lately, as BBVs in my area all recognize me and pull up my account before I even get to the register. Pretty much all my local GSs know me by sight and a few by name as well.

They all seem nice enough and I get into conversations with them about gaming, but you never know what will trigger something for someone's suspicion meter, especially if they start recognizing you as bringing in the same game 2-3 times over the course of a month.[/quote]

Thats something I never do, I learnt the hard way many years ago, trading the same game to a single store will eventually get you banned. I'm very careful to only trade 1 copy of any game to any store. I don't think it really matters to be honest as the store manager can trigger a ban in a heart beat, but at least I can argue my case next time I find myself in a DM ban situation.

[quote name='JJSP']Methinks he's near one of the Dallas concept Blockbuster stores that sell high-end electronics. There's a few of them in the DFW area, I believe.[/quote]
correct!

Some updates from a GS->BBV day.

PS3 Sega Superstars Tennis - TIV 20.00 (9.87 with 30% off applied)
Death Jr. Wii - TIV 23.00

Prices of games I noticed today:
BBV-
Super Mario Galaxy: 29.99 (10 copies all marked this price)
Ant Bully Wii: 9.99
Nights Wii: 9.99 (I remember hearing somebody mention they raised it?)
Meet the Robinsons Wii: 9.99
Manhunt 2 Wii: 14.99

GS-
Eye of Judgment: 24.99 w/ eye and mat.

Trade-in value (some drops):
Elebits: 2.25 - before bonuses or edge (7.47 with, bad flip)
Nights: 4.50 - before bonuses or edge (9.95 with, .84 cent loss for me)
Avatar Burning Earth: 5.00 - before bonus or edge (10.50 with)
Spyro Wii: 5.75- before bonus or edge (11.33 or so with)

I was doing some random flipping today, with a copy of Death Jr. Wii (CC) and I bought 2 copies of SST (one to keep) and AITD I got from Gamestop.
By the time I finished, I actually managed to spend 10$ in GS credit. I did pick up 6 blu-ray movies, Cubivore and a copy of SST to keep. Im relatively happy with the way it worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to say dude, then I think you may have shone a little too bright a little too quickly and thus your corp-a-ban comes as no surprise. You'll be lucky if GS don't decide to ban you as well... (I hope not).

But something just occurred to me, I will no longer buy items from BB and give them my membership card, I will be mister anonymous as much as humanly possible.

[quote name='Nikadimas']I think 14.90 was for Table Tennis TIV at GS with bonuses (almost even flip) I would also recommend trading WWE Smackdown at GS since it's 26.99 used and will fetch at least 10 with the bonus (more likely 12-14).[/quote]

[quote name='gi60']Smackdown 2008 for Wii gets $ 16 ($10 + 1 +5) at GS.[/quote]
Thank you both for the advice! I forgot about the GS bonus right now - I have another Boogie to trade and a stack of $7 Smackdowns at my Target I can build some credit with.

[quote name='dyeknom']
Spyro Wii: x.xx - before bonus or edge (11.75 or so with)
[/quote]

Spyro trades for $6 just did one today.

Geometry wars galaxies also trades for $6.

Whenever I try to play an old xbox game I get the following error.

"The game could not start, please download the game again."

This happens whenever I try to play an original Xbox game no matter if it is a physical copy from a store, or an "Xbox Originals" download.

I have had this problem ever since I bought a new 120 Gig hard drive. I've tried clearing the system catch "xx lb rb xx". I've tried reformating the hard drive, and I've tried downloading the backwards compatibility update from Microsofts website, and burning it to a disc.

With the CD I can get the update to install, but the games still do not play. If I format the drive, and clear the catch and then try to play a game my Xbox will not even attempt to download the update on it's own, so I am forced to install by disc.

I searched google, and I found a few people that have had this problem, but I couldn't find a thread the ever explained a solution.

I have called Microsoft, and they seem to know less about their own system than I do. The CSR I spoke with tried to convince me that the optional media update was my backwards compatibility file, and if I deleted it I would be good to go. Needless to say neither her or her supervisor were able to figure out the cause of the problem, but were more than happy to tell me that the solution lies in sending the "faulty" hard drive back to them for replacement. First I bought the drive used and do not have a receipt, there fore no warranty. Secondly I'm not sure about it being a problem with the hard drive because every other function of the drive works like a charm.

Now just to point out, if I connect my old 0 gig drive to the console my original xbox games play fine, so MAYBE it is the hard drive, but I'm hoping not.

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this problem? I would like to get it fixed, but if my only option is sending my hard drive to Microsoft I think I'll just save up and buy an original xbox again.

[quote name='stoned99']But something just occurred to me, I will no longer buy items from BB and give them my membership card, I will be mister anonymous as much as humanly possible.[/quote]

I generally do that at any random Blockbusters I happen to go to. Although I made sure to use it everywhere during the Wii drawing. Entered with a purchase at 10 different stores, and a bunch at my main store.

Now though it's kind of hard to make purchases not with my member card when most of the full-time employees at my local stores recognize me.

[quote name='dyeknom']Some updates from a GS->BBV day.

BBV-

GS-

Spyro Wii: x.xx - before bonus or edge (11.75 or so with)

I was doing some random flipping today, with a copy of Death Jr. Wii (CC) and I bought 2 copies of SST (one to keep) and AITD I got from Gamestop.
By the time I finished, I actually managed to spend 10$ in GS credit. I did pick up 6 blu-ray movies, Cubivore and a copy of SST to keep. Im relatively happy with the way it worked out.[/quote]

I traded in nights (wii) TONIGHT and got $7.00 for it. ($12.70 after bonuses)
I also got more for elebits. Spyro was $11.60 after bonuses. what time did you trade those

[quote name='king007']I traded in nights (wii) TONIGHT and got $7.00 for it. ($12.70 after bonuses)
I also got more for elebits. Spyro was $11.60 after bonuses. what time did you trade those[/quote]

5 minutes before closing and before you ask, no... no refurb fees.

Edit: My receipt shows Spyro at 11.33 (5.75 before anything)

[quote name='king007']I traded in nights (wii) TONIGHT and got $7.00 for it. ($12.70 after bonuses)
I also got more for elebits. Spyro was $11.60 after bonuses. what time did you trade those[/quote]

He's probably in or around Oklahoma City or one of those places that has random TIVs. Notice how his TIVs have increments of $0.25.

[quote name='DarkRider23']He's probably in or around Oklahoma City or one of those places that has random TIVs. Notice how his TIVs have increments of $0.25.[/quote]

I've never had different TIVs from other people posting on here, for GS or BBV. The B1G1 sale is a perfect example. Not a single one of my TIVs differed.

[quote name='dyeknom']I've never had different TIVs from other people posting on here, for GS or BBV. The B1G1 sale is a perfect example. Not a single one of my TIVs differed.[/quote]

This is highly irregular.

You know, if it's five minutes before closing, what time and timezone is that? I remember that it was discussed how based on corporate's time zone, values would change in the middle of the night for some people.

I got screwed tonight on Rayman Rabbids 2. TIV at GS dropped to $10 before bonus & edge or $16.00 after.

Too bad I paid $19.99 for it at BBV earlier today ! :(

So the 20% off used games ends tomorrow. Wish i would got more flips. Now that the coupon expires do you guys usually wait it out till the next one comes.

[quote name='GuardianE']This is highly irregular.

You know, if it's five minutes before closing, what time and timezone is that? I remember that it was discussed how based on corporate's time zone, values would change in the middle of the night for some people.[/quote]

CST. Receipt shows 15 mins before closing, I just happened to be there 5 mins before closing while I waited for them to gather my BRD. It's very strange, because on Sunday I traded some of these games in at relatively close locations for the prices in the post *shrug* Oh well!

TIVs 9/24/08

Sea Monsters (Wii) - $23
Bust a Move Bash (Wii) - $20
Condemned 2 (360) - $15
Lost Odyssey (360) - $22
Skate (360) - $22
The Club (360) - $15

Before replying, the reason I posted: Monster Jam for the Wii held at $30 this week.

[quote name='stoned99']Anyone know if BB got Lego batman in yet ?[/quote]

They got that one in on release date and since practically no one buys from there it's a safe bet they have it to buy. To rent... maybe.

[quote name='io']Anyway, how the hell do you have time for 3-4 stops a day? It takes me a couple hours to do that many stops and it is usually 1 or 2 games per (since I can't find that many different things at GS for BB at once).

I mean, I'm doing what I consider a lot of flipping while I'm here in Arizona for work. But that means buying a couple of crap games at BB, trading them to GS and buying 1 or 2 games there, trading them to a BB, then buying 2 or 3 cheap more games, and then maybe finally trading them at another GS (and not buying anything because there's nothing worth it). I've been doing that like once per day the last 3 days but only because I'm travelling for work and have no other responsibilities in the evening ;).[/quote]

I live just outside the city in the burbs, that basically means I have no shortage of either store and sometimes a lot in a small area. There's one place that has two Gamestops 200 yards from each other. Hell, there was a mall in Jersey that had two Gamestops 100 feet from each other until they finally closed one last month (sob... I miss it). I have trade accounts at 8 different Blockbusters and know of 4 more I frequent during sales that I don't consider to be too out of the way. As far as Gamestops go there were 2 in Jersey (now 1), 13 that I frequent, and 4 others I could go to if they had something I really needed. These are all before even hitting anywhere near the center of the city where I would find 6 more Blockbusters and 10 more Gamestops (I checked once). So I guess I'm lucky in placement. It does take time to hit them though. I usually try to limit myself to like 5 stops a day during a good coupon week to keep up with my buying. However this week a did a bit more.

[quote name='stoned99']Thats something I never do, I learnt the hard way many years ago, trading the same game to a single store will eventually get you banned. I'm very careful to only trade 1 copy of any game to any store. I don't think it really matters to be honest as the store manager can trigger a ban in a heart beat, but at least I can argue my case next time I find myself in a DM ban situation.[/quote]

Yeah I was sticking to that method until I got sloppy and traded a couple of the same title in at one of my BBVs. I don't think they cared, but I'm going to have to start keeping track of new titles. I tried to do that when I started but then the perfect storm hit and I was transferring 30 games a day between the stores so I really couldn't keep up with it all.

[quote name='dyeknom']Some updates from a GS->BBV day.

BBV-

GS-

Spyro Wii: 5.75- before bonus or edge (11.33 or so with)

By the time I finished, I actually managed to spend 10$ in GS credit. I did pick up 6 blu-ray movies, Cubivore and a copy of SST to keep. Im relatively happy with the way it worked out.[/quote]

Are you sure your GS isn't screwy? I traded in some games at about 9:15 pm eastern (yay for malls and getting out of work early) and all of the values held for me including Nights, Elebits, and Spyro.

[quote name='stoned99']Sorry to say dude, then I think you may have shone a little too bright a little too quickly and thus your corp-a-ban comes as no surprise. You'll be lucky if GS don't decide to ban you as well... (I hope not).

But something just occurred to me, I will no longer buy items from BB and give them my membership card, I will be mister anonymous as much as humanly possible.[/quote]

Yeah I started doing that but the employees kept asking for it because they knew I was a member and said it would make returns easier.

[quote name='Xfactor4']I got screwed tonight on Rayman Rabbids 2. TIV at GS dropped to $10 before bonus & edge or $16.00 after.

Too bad I paid $19.99 for it earlier today ! :([/quote]

Yeah there was some talk of the trade-in value dropping, although $10 is still a good price considering it was supposed to drop to $19.99 at GS as well.

[quote name='dyeknom']CST. Receipt shows 15 mins before closing, I just happened to be there 5 mins before closing while I waited for them to gather my BRD. It's very strange, because on Sunday I traded some of these games in at relatively close locations for the prices in the post *shrug* Oh well![/quote]

That is strange because my trade-in would've been within the same hour as yours. I'm calling shenanigans on that GS.

[quote name='sarge1991']So the 20% off used games ends tomorrow. Wish i would got more flips. Now that the coupon expires do you guys usually wait it out till the next one comes.[/quote]

Depends on one of three things:

1. The next coupon is good.

2. I really need to pick up something.

3. I really drained my credit badly.

If one of those instances occurs after a good coupon expires it's back to flipping with 10% off coupons like a crack whore. Otherwise I take a step back and go play some of the games I have. Honestly it's getting goddamn ridiculous the amount of games I have that I have yet to play.

Ugh, triple post. I'm going to hell.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Depends on one of three things:

1. The next coupon is good.

2. I really need to pick up something.

3. I really drained my credit badly.

If one of those instances occurs after a good coupon expires it's back to flipping with 10% off coupons like a crack whore. Otherwise I take a step back and go play some of the games I have. Honestly it's getting goddamn ridiculous the amount of games I have that I have yet to play.

Ugh, triple post. I'm going to hell.[/quote]

Yeah the day that 10% coupon ends is the day i stop flipping. :D The 10% coupon has to be a running joke within GS Corp. It will never die.

On a side note whats with all the limit 3 / limit 5 per visit coupon crap.:roll:

[quote name='king007']On a side note whats with all the limit 3 / limit 5 per visit coupon crap.:roll:[/quote]

That's what they've always said. Technically, you're only supposed to use the coupon once, but no one really cares. The limits end up meaning very little as long as you have enough Gamestops/apathetic employees.

[quote name='GuardianE']That's what they've always said. Technically, you're only supposed to use the coupon once, but no one really cares. The limits end up meaning very little as long as you have enough Gamestops/apathetic employees.[/quote]

Yeah it used to say one coupon per visit then they changed it to one coupon period. That kinda pissed me off, but most guys are cool about accepting more than one during the week though. That's why it's always good not to be a douche when flipping.

The cellfire coupon is the same as the email coupon this week, and it got extended to Oct. 6 I belive. Plus, the cellfire trade coupon is the same as the 20/30/40 bonus, although it is capped at 2 games. I was using it to buy the 2 PMD games to move $56 back to GS easily. The cellfire coupon is nice because the employees can't make you hand it over...I usually just say"I have that cellfire coupon cell phone thingy, gimme a sec to fire it up and I'll give you the code"..then I show them the front page with Gamestops logo, and they never look to see how many coupon views are left..then I pull the phone back, pull up a note I created with the two codes, and read off the code I need. ebc3006145 is extra 20% off up to 3, ebc3006152 is 30% add on trade limit of 2. I'd use it if you need to move credit and if you find some GC Mario games that are just now being pulled from rental to sale.

so right i got i guy who just doesnt care about the limit and just scans them and let me keep thems
while others watch the limit and ask me to cut them out.

[quote name='dyeknom']
Spyro Wii: 5.75- before bonus or edge (11.33 or so with)[/QUOTE]

I also got more for elebits. Spyro was $11.60 after bonuses. what time did you trade those[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dyeknom']5 minutes before closing and before you ask, no... no refurb fees.

Edit: My receipt shows Spyro at 11.33 (5.75 before anything)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daminion']Spyro trades for $6 just did one today.

Geometry wars galaxies also trades for $6.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dyeknom']I've never had different TIVs from other people posting on here, for GS or BBV. The B1G1 sale is a perfect example. Not a single one of my TIVs differed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you DO live in the OKC/KC area, am I right? You didn't answer that when someone asked. I also traded Spyro and Nights about 10 minutes before closing PACIFIC time and got the expected $6 and $7 before bonus. You never see .25 and .75 trade-in prices at Gamestop unless they are under $2 except in those wacky OKC/KC area stores.

Anwyay, I have 2 more Spyro and another Nights so I'll find out soon enough tomorrow if anything is up.

As for the other topic of how long it takes to go to multiple stores - it isn't even the driving, though that can add quite a bit (I did a big loop here today - took me 5 hours). At both places it takes time to search through the games and have them retrieve discs. Then there's always the Blockbuster on-the-job training for the trade-in procedure :roll:. Meh - they kept my card at one place tonight (as it took so long for them to set up my trade account I forgot to get it back) and when I called to ask them to hold it for me they said it wasn't there. Except I know for sure it is because I was at another store not 20 minutes later (and my next stop) and it wasn't in the usual place in my wallet. I just don't want someone else getting ahold of the card and renting stuff with it!

[quote name='io']Yeah, but you DO live in the OKC/KC area, am I right? You didn't answer that when someone asked. I also traded Spyro and Nights about 10 minutes before closing PACIFIC time and got the expected $6 and $7 before bonus. You never see .25 and .75 trade-in prices at Gamestop unless they are under $2 except in those wacky OKC/KC area stores.

Anwyay, I have 2 more Spyro and another Nights so I'll find out soon enough tomorrow if anything is up.

As for the other topic of how long it takes to go to multiple stores - it isn't even the driving, though that can add quite a bit (I did a big loop here today - took me 5 hours). At both places it takes time to search through the games and have them retrieve discs. Then there's always the Blockbuster on-the-job training for the trade-in procedure :roll:. Meh - they kept my card at one place tonight (as it took so long for them to set up my trade account I forgot to get it back) and when I called to ask them to hold it for me they said it wasn't there. Except I know for sure it is because I was at another store not 20 minutes later (and my next stop) and it wasn't in the usual place in my wallet. I just don't want someone else getting ahold of the card and renting stuff with it![/quote]

Gameplan Io, Gameplan. I can get in and out in 10-15 minutes if I know that the store has the games I'm looking for. I always go in with a mental list (and it's usually from the website) of what they have that I need and can get out fairly quickly even with my kid in tow. However I've been known to spend 30 minutes just looking if I'm getting something for myself.

Mass Effect trades in for 19, eh? I may very well go and flip it to Blockbuster. I was lucky enough to find a GS with the collector's edition, so if I can get a few 9.99 games I should break even on the upgrade to LE.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Mass Effect trades in for 19, eh? I may very well go and flip it to Blockbuster. I was lucky enough to find a GS with the collector's edition, so if I can get a few 9.99 games I should break even on the upgrade to LE.[/quote]

You should definitely ask is they have the bonus crap beforehand because sometimes they just accept it with the game disc only.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Gameplan Io, Gameplan. I can get in and out in 10-15 minutes if I know that the store has the games I'm looking for. I always go in with a mental list (and it's usually from the website) of what they have that I need and can get out fairly quickly even with my kid in tow. However I've been known to spend 30 minutes just looking if I'm getting something for myself.[/QUOTE]

Well, duh, I do the same thing (and even have a printed list with me now). But considering that games are usually spread out amongst several areas (at BB at least) it takes time to search for them thoroughly. But then having to verify disc condition and ask for others if they are bad, etc, always takes time. GS is usally a bit faster because I know what they have from the web site and trade-ins are 100x faster there ;). It's more the BB side that slows me down though.

Though tonight at one GS I parked at the wrong side of an enormous mall (I had never been there and just parked wherever - by chance, of course, it was exactly the worst place) and had to walk all the way through just to trade a single Spyro/Nights pair. I also forgot my 20% coupon in the car so I couldn't even buy the 1 single flippable they had. It wasn't worth going back in so I just left after making the trade. That kind of thing always slows me down when I don't expect it.

bread's done
Back