The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Weird thing happened yesterday. I hooked up my wireless wheel and played some PGR4 but had some weird video problems. As I was racing all of a sudden the video would cut out, total blackness, then after a second or so it would come back in. This happened multiple times during the race, really hard to drive with a wheel when you can't see! This doesn't happen to me with any other game so could a disc create this phenomenon? Is this a sign that my video card is getting close to it's end? I'm going to try and play it today ripped to the hard drive.

[quote name='dman1869']Ok, so here's what I discovered. It's not the TV or disc. It's the actual Xbox itself. I tried a bunch of different combinations with different TVs, different discs, different games, but some reason, my son's Xbox when it plays Gears of War 2 only, has the spotting problem. I called Microsoft and they ran me through some diagnostic stuff and we eliminated the harddrive from being the issue but nothing we did fixed the problem. So they let me know since the system is out of warranty (by 2 months) that I can send it in for $99. After having 4 broken Xboxes I'm not too happy about spending another $99 for them to fix a 5th. We'll just be dealing with the issue for now.[/QUOTE]

Personally I wouldn't pay that. For $200 you'd get a new unit with new hardware, and can just use your old drive, versus getting a refurbed model that will probably break again, though I know a lot of people prefer going the refurb route.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Weird thing happened yesterday. I hooked up my wireless wheel and played some PGR4 but had some weird video problems. As I was racing all of a sudden the video would cut out, total blackness, then after a second or so it would come back in. This happened multiple times during the race, really hard to drive with a wheel when you can't see! This doesn't happen to me with any other game so could a disc create this phenomenon? Is this a sign that my video card is getting close to it's end? I'm going to try and play it today ripped to the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Good idea about ripping it to the hard drive. Try it on another TV if you can, but yeah, sounds suspicious.

I know it's weird, but it's possible for GPUs to fail in a way that SOME stuff seems to run fine, and other stuff doesn't. Doom 3 really showed up problems on the GPUs of the day when it came out 'cause it pushed the hardware a lot harder than other games-used more of it. Something like Gears 2 that doesn't surprise me, but other games could be using the hardware in a way that other games aren't. Eventually it'll spread probably and start doing that in every game, but they can fail weirdly.

I have a new jasper with the built in memory and a 120 gb hard drive and I'm having trouble playing games that I've installed to the hard drive.

One example is Grid. When I start the game up, it searches for DLC and a prompt comes up asking me to select a storage device. I have to either pick my HDD or the built in memory. At this time the disc starts to spin up and doesn't stop until I'm done playing the game.

Is there any way to have my 360 use the hard drive for everything so the select a storage device prompt doesn't pop up? I think that's causing me to not be able to play the game off of the hard drive.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']
Is there any way to have my 360 use the hard drive for everything so the select a storage device prompt doesn't pop up? I think that's causing me to not be able to play the game off of the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

The only games that got that right are Crackdown and GTAIV, you always have to select a storage device for any other game. You'd think the developers would learn by now that this is an un-needed step.

Good idea about ripping it to the hard drive. Try it on another TV if you can, but yeah, sounds suspicious.

Yea I played PGR4 with it off my hard drive, no problem. Used the controller and then the wheel and did not see the video cut out and in situation. Possibly spinning the disc and not reading data caused this, the disc has scratches and a few chips on the side?!

Needs advice. :wave:

My TV has 2 composite, 2 component, 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, and 1 VGA-Component outputs.
I have my Wii & 360 set up on my 2 components, my HD cable box & PS3 on the HDMI.

Since the 360 on HDMI isn't possible for 2 reasons: I only have 2 HDMI ports, and my 360 is older and doesn't have an HDMI, :lol: Could it go "VGA" or "VGA-Component"? Is it worth doing that? How much do these VGA or VGA-Component cables run? :whistle2:s

So with the purchase of my new LCD TV, BestBuy was giving a free 60GB 360 Pro system, and since I needed a new HD anyway cause my 20GB is full on my old Pro System, I took advantage of the deal, but it has occurred to me that I will need to transfer all the stuff on the 20GB to the 60GB and I didnt get a Data Transfer cable, so what are my options. Most of the files on my 20GB are RockBand and GH songs, the rest are saves and some arcade games. What are my options for making the 60GB my new main drive with all my old stuff on it?

Thanks

contact microsoft for a transfer cable
there is also a shared cable floating around the CAG population search for thread and see if you can add yourself to it.

So I'm having a bit of an issue here that I can't quite figure out. I downloaded the trial for Worms, didn't like it, I want to delete it. Only problem is that I can't. Every time I try, it says it can't perform the action. Any ideas as to why this is?

EDIT: I got it taken care of. I had to shut down my console and restart it, and I was able to delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lilboo']Needs advice. :wave:

My TV has 2 composite, 2 component, 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, and 1 VGA-Component outputs.
I have my Wii & 360 set up on my 2 components, my HD cable box & PS3 on the HDMI.

Since the 360 on HDMI isn't possible for 2 reasons: I only have 2 HDMI ports, and my 360 is older and doesn't have an HDMI, :lol: Could it go "VGA" or "VGA-Component"? Is it worth doing that? How much do these VGA or VGA-Component cables run? :whistle2:s[/quote]

If your tv is 37" or bigger and can support 1080p through component you are fine. If it is 37" or bigger and does not support 1080p through component you should go with VGA. If your tv is smaller than 37" you should stick with component at 1080p or 720p.

VGA cables for the 360 can be had for pretty cheap at TRU and GS

On this topic I played Enchanted Arms on my brother's Xbox 360 and now have my own 360. Problem is it won't allow you how to transfer the data from the old one, any ideas? And yes, I've also tried starting the game with the data on the old HD, and saving it to a different source, and it doesn't work

i'm curious why someone would buy xbox live for instant netflix. it's available on the PC for free. besides, I have almost 200 items that are worth watching, you either have no taste or don't know how to find what you like. It's an abyss, i keep finding new stuff to add all the time. You don't buy xbox live for free instant netflix on PC, you get it to game online, rent movies, buy XBL games, etc.

Right, there's no point in buying XBL just for netflix. Before I had my Xbox, I was just hooking my laptop up to my TV and watching movies that way. The Xbox just makes it more convenient now.

[quote name='John Ketch']I'm not sure if it's my Internet connection, the router or my wireless adapter, but while in the dashboard my connection periodically drops out. Is anyone else having this problem? My router firmware is updated. Is it a Microsoft thing? I haven't used the NXE with just an ethernet cable, so I don't know if that would fix things, but would also defeat the purpose of the wireless adapter. Suggestions? Comments? Bananas?[/quote]

I have the same problem everyone in a while, I just unpluged it and plug it back in and it would work.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I have a new jasper with the built in memory and a 120 gb hard drive and I'm having trouble playing games that I've installed to the hard drive.

One example is Grid. When I start the game up, it searches for DLC and a prompt comes up asking me to select a storage device. I have to either pick my HDD or the built in memory. At this time the disc starts to spin up and doesn't stop until I'm done playing the game.

Is there any way to have my 360 use the hard drive for everything so the select a storage device prompt doesn't pop up? I think that's causing me to not be able to play the game off of the hard drive.[/quote]

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

Okay so I saw Blue Dragon in GAME today for £6 and wondering if it was good? This is coming from someone new to J-RPGs so please bare that in mind. I just really need something new to play I am so bored at the moment gaming wise. I may even pick up Too Human for £8 also..

Thanks.

I know that Xbox 360 games are region free, but what about Add-Ons and DLC for the games?

Hypothetical: I want to buy the European version of Street Fighter IV CE and I live in the United States.

Question 1: It comes with DLC in the CE. Will I have trouble with this, or will it work with no problems?

Question 2: Let's say that 2 months later they release some new DLC. Will I be able to use the US DLC or will I have to create a UK account and download the DLC there?

XBOX Originals on Goozex? Is this legit? Can people have a download code to give out, or is this bogus?

UPS just deliverd my 360 5 minutes ago, so I don't know how XBLM works yet.

It is going to depend on the game. Some games you can use the game save and DLC between different region. You bigger concern is rather the game is region free.

[quote name='playing mantis']XBOX Originals on Goozex? Is this legit? Can people have a download code to give out, or is this bogus?

UPS just deliverd my 360 5 minutes ago, so I don't know how XBLM works yet.[/quote]

If there is a download code available for said Xbox Original (I don't think any of them have a download code) then yes you could get them through goozex. Otherwise no. It's kinda a minor error with the database that goozex uses to list their games. There are games listed which cannot be traded for numerous reasons but are still listed on the site anyway.

Okay so my first Xbox 360 died apparently so I bought the Elite and it does not come with a transfer kit, is there any way I can transfer it over easily without the kit? I have a memory card. Also, now that I plugged my 20 GB into the Elite all my arcade games show up as demos. Also, any suggestion on connecting to the internet. I hooked everything up the same as it was on my old xbox 360. I entered everything got passed network and internet, but it got stuck at Xbox Live and failed. It recommended I turn off my router so I did I unplugged it for 30 seconds, but now it fails at network. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Also the Elite has a few arcade games on it that the person downloaded. Is there a way to transfer my new stuff over while still keeping those games. To my understanding there is something called account recovery? Basically the only thing I need to bring over is my profile, achievements, and downloaded games/add-ons. I have a memory card, but not sure how to go about this.

Well, I've played the shiz out of MGS and I need more stealth. Just wondering how well SC:CT and SC:Double Agent (superior xbox version) run on the 360...I'm mostly concerned about the framerates/glitches.

I haven't played Double Agent for the original Xbox, but Chaos Theory runs great. There ARE framerate issues, but I'm not sure if it's the BC emulation or if they were always there. But it's very playable, and still looks great today.

If you don't have it already, go get it! It's only a couple of bucks these days!

So you bought a used system? If it already has purchased stuff on it, that won't work anymore when you transfer your profile over.

You can just move it to a memory card and move it to the new system, or recover it over the internet.

To get your games working on the new system though you'll need to go through the process listed on their site to authorize the new system. You can only do that once a year though. Otherwise they'll just be demos unless you're actively logged in to the live service.

Okay so step 1 would be adding the saved games to my memory card and placing them all on my old 20 GB? Is there a guide to this process? Step 3 would be account recovery and this would bring over my profile with achievements? Is there a guide for this as well? I could just go on xbox.com and redownload everything? What about saved games? Thanks, sorry if I sound pushy and what not. Thanks the advice.

[quote name='ninja dog']Well, I've played the shiz out of MGS and I need more stealth. Just wondering how well SC:CT and SC:Double Agent (superior xbox version) run on the 360...I'm mostly concerned about the framerates/glitches.[/quote]

How is the XBOX version better than 360 version? Very interested.

[quote name='playing mantis']How is the XBOX version better than 360 version? Very interested.[/quote]
Check the reviews, Gamespot in particular. Better mission structure, better story (apparently; I haven't played the 360 build).

Will i be able to run in 1080p and/or 1080i? or just 720p?

I know what i need to get.

Thanks in advance :D

Actually, what i MEANT to say was he asked where to get a VGA Cord for the monitor, like i was looking for.

He didn't ask this question though. so could you tell me if you know? XD i botched.

I'm confused...what do you have now? A 20GB drive from your old system, and a new 120GB drive that came with the new system that you're trying to transfer stuff to?

If so, (short of trying to get a transfer kit) you can just copy game saves to a memory card, and then copy them back to the new hard drive. A few game saves can't be copied, but most can. You can move your profile to the memory card, and then back onto the new hard drive. You don't even need to recover it.

The only tricky part at all is you'll need to have the new system connected to the internet and on Microsoft's Xbox site go through the process of authorizing it (which as mentioned can only be done once a year).

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Actually, what i MEANT to say was he asked where to get a VGA Cord for the monitor, like i was looking for.

He didn't ask this question though. so could you tell me if you know? XD i botched.[/QUOTE]

Target sells VGA cords for $14.99

Thanks, I'll have to try to figure out the Live. It is having trouble.
UPDATE: Xbox Live is up and running now. The situation is my old system's 20 GB has one profile, saved games, and arcade games/add ons that need to be moved, but the kid that I got the Elite off of downloaded like 15 arcade games and played none of them.(Seriously this kid got a system for Christmas and found out he hates video games...) I heard if I transfer my profile it will bring my achievements and I can redownload all my arcade games and add ons at no additional cost? As for the saved games I can do them one at a time? Thanks for any help.

Can't be that bad I heard mixed reviews, but overall most people would agree if you can get it that cheap go for it.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Target sells VGA cords for $14.99[/quote]

Dear Idiot, I ASKED IF THEY PLAY in 1080! NOT FOR HOW MUCH THEY COST.

Good god, why is everyone being such an asshole today :|

Because you asked a stupid question. What do you expect?

No one knows what it is going to play in because we can't come in your house AND LOOK AT THE RESOLUTION OF YOUR MONITOR. The games are going to run at your monitors native resolution. They added 16:10 support in the last update, so it should just run in that resolution.

Because God did not make all monitors equal.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Dear Idiot, I ASKED IF THEY PLAY in 1080! NOT FOR HOW MUCH THEY COST.

Good god, why is everyone being such an asshole today :|[/quote]

Pot calling the kettle black

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Dear Idiot, I ASKED IF THEY PLAY in 1080! NOT FOR HOW MUCH THEY COST.

Good god, why is everyone being such an asshole today :|[/quote]

Dear Ungrateful Punk, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED to OTHER'S ADVICE! NOT OWED ANYTHING BY ANYBODY.

Good god, why does this kid think someone attempting to help him warrants a sarcastic middle school outburst :|

Blue Dragon? Yeah, it's good. I mean it's one of the better Japanese RPGs out there. I'd personally put it on the same level as Final Fantasy 5, though others like it better than I do. Lost Odyssey is far better IMO, and more comparable to the latter Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger, though some even like Blue Dragon better. The story to me isn't that great, but it does have it's moments. (So like FF5, it has a weak-ish story-though par for the course for Japanese RPGs, but typically strong Sakaguchi gameplay.)

EDIT: How did this end up way after the Blue Dragon post? Oh well. And what's with that guy calling someone and idiot for trying to help? Geez.

[quote name='TheInfamousTimmy']I know that Xbox 360 games are region free, but what about Add-Ons and DLC for the games?

Hypothetical: I want to buy the European version of Street Fighter IV CE and I live in the United States.

Question 1: It comes with DLC in the CE. Will I have trouble with this, or will it work with no problems?

Question 2: Let's say that 2 months later they release some new DLC. Will I be able to use the US DLC or will I have to create a UK account and download the DLC there?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'll be able to run the European version because it is PAL vs. in the US it's NTSC. We can play some Japanese games because they are also NTSC.

Okay, so here is my status update. I have about half of my saved games on my memory card now. If I copy these saved games onto my 120 GB and then do account recovery after every game has been moved will I be able to play the saved games normally and redownload all game add ons and arcade games? Thanks

You don't need to recover your profile-you can just move it. Either way will work though.

But after doing all that, you'll need to have it connected to the internet and go through the process on Microsoft's Xbox site to transfer your licenses to your new system, as mentioned this can be done once per year. You can't do that from your Xbox.

Okay thanks, is there a link I can find this process? Before I do this I should transfer over all my saved games correct? Thanks again.

Hi, I'm wanting to get a nice set of headphones that will also double as a headset. From what I have seen, there are some nice headsets out there, but not anything you would want to use for general headphone use.

I just wanted to know if there is anything out there I could use for the 360 that is a good set of headphones on its own. (I like the Sennheisser HD-555, but it's not a headset).

bread's done
Back