The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Okay now I just wanna see if I am understanding the "license transfer tool" correctly. As far as I know, it's a two-step process that goes something like:
Step 1: do transfer thing on website
Step 2: make a big-ass download queue of all your DLC, so each license gets downloaded when you turn your console on.

Is that pretty much correct? And if I leave some items off the queue, will they remain licensed to the old console until I download the license onto the new Xbox? I'm wondering if I'm free to let some licenses linger on the old console indefinitely.

OK, how do I get a second controller to be the first controller? Every single time I play Rock Band I use the guitar to power on the console and play. When I'm done and I want to use a standard controller I can't figure out how other than turning the console off. When I hold down the guide button and select "turn off controller" the guitar goes off but whatever controller I try and use only comes on as player #2 and the console keeps flashing "please reconnect controller" or whatever the message is. What am I missing?

[quote name='javeryh']OK, how do I get a second controller to be the first controller? Every single time I play Rock Band I use the guitar to power on the console and play. When I'm done and I want to use a standard controller I can't figure out how other than turning the console off. When I hold down the guide button and select "turn off controller" the guitar goes off but whatever controller I try and use only comes on as player #2 and the console keeps flashing "please reconnect controller" or whatever the message is. What am I missing?[/QUOTE]Not sure if this makes a difference but I usually back out into the RB title screen before I switch controllers. This generally seems to work. If all else fails, I sign out of my Xbox profile, turn on the next controller, and sign in again with that one.

I have that same issue when I tried switching controllers between the fighting I-actually-have-a-decent-d-pad controller and the normal one.

All I could figure out was to log out and back in like BustaUppa said, which was clunky to do.

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I need to assemble an ethernet cable and I want to make sure these components won't slow down my Xbox Live connection or anything. I got a CAT5e stranded bulk cable, and some CAT5e RJ45 crimp connectors (w/ 50u gold plating). Should this work fine? The store had "stranded" and "solid" cables so I wanna make sure I at least got that part right.

Can anyone tell me if XBOX Live Gold Subscription Card (12+1months) have an expiry date? I've had this for quite a while and not used, plan to sell this.

[quote name='Myv']Can anyone tell me if XBOX Live Gold Subscription Card (12+1months) have an expiry date? I've had this for quite a while and not used, plan to sell this.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I'll give you 25$ for it.

Can anyone tell me why my 360 lists all of the games I played but never Avatar Golf in my recent games list? That and why everytime I get an update for a game it lists original xbox games that I've played as my recent 5 games? Bugs in the system...

My Xbox(es) never show my most recent games once I delete them off the drive. I don't think that works right (although I think aside from Xbox 1 games it should show any games in your achievement list correctly).

Say you want to sell your 360 and later buy a new 360. Can you transfer the licenses to the content on the old one so that someone else doesn't get access to your content before you buy the new 360?

[quote name='J7.']Say you want to sell your 360 and later buy a new 360. Can you transfer the licenses to the content on the old one so that someone else doesn't get access to your content before you buy the new 360?[/QUOTE]Nope. You need the other 360 to do the license transfer for it to be successful. You put in the Console ID of the new system on the license transfer page, and the new 360 has to be on to get the "ping" from XBL that it has the content license for all of your content.

You'll still need to do the download for all of the items, since they need to be re-DRM'd to your new console, though you can't do the license transfer without the console ID of the new console and have said console available to XBL.

[quote name='shrike4242']Nope. You need the other 360 to do the license transfer for it to be successful. You put in the Console ID of the new system on the license transfer page, and the new 360 has to be on to get the "ping" from XBL that it has the content license for all of your content.

You'll still need to do the download for all of the items, since they need to be re-DRM'd to your new console, though you can't do the license transfer without the console ID of the new console and have said console available to XBL.[/QUOTE]

Can I just write down all the old console information, sell it, then do the license transfer when I get the new console?

[quote name='Wolfpup']You can format the drive though, which will at least protect it from casual access to your account info.[/QUOTE]

I will be keeping the hard drive. I want to sell my old 360 to GS now, buy one from Amazon right after, and do the license transfer by next week when it arrives. I just don't want to have someone else get my old console with my licenses or not be unable to transfer the stuff over.

Maybe the wording in my original question is confusing. I meant transfer the licenses for the content on the old one to the new one after I've sold the old one and have the new one in my possession. I would write down all the serial # and all the other stuff needed before selling it. I'm writing this to explain myself better and get it to bump this time since it didn't after my last post because CAG screwed up earlier today because I need to do this asap to get in on the GS TIV Bonus and Amazon deal.

EDIT Looks like the Amazon deal is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spybreak8']No you can use a USB wireless adapter but I forgot which one was the best, (looked into it a while ago).[/QUOTE] Do all of them work?

I recently password protected the network for my house so I had to set up the wireless network on my 360 again. My network is password protected with WPA2 encryption but when I scan for it on my 360 the network says it is WEP protected thus I can't enter the proper password. When I go to enter the network manually my 360 will not allow me to input the password as WPA or WPA2. The only available options for me are WEP, No password and something else. I thought one of the new firmware updates were supposed to allow WPA2 protection?

Has anyone had this issue? Networking is not really my thing but I understand it well enough. I have no issues connecting if its not password protected.

Linksys WRT 54GS is my router.

[quote name='shrike4242']Nope. You have to use the official MS adapter if you want to connect it via USB.[/QUOTE]

You can use an Ethernet to Wifi bridge though.

I am having a hard time getting music copied over to my 360. The last time I tried it (years ago), I was using actual store bought CDs, and everything was fine. Since then I discovered the amazing thing known as buying mp3s online. I burned a CD and popped it in, but only one of the 15 tracks gets burned onto the 360, the rest just have a circle with a line going through it. All of the mp3s were bought from the same place, and the song that copies is in the middle of the disc, so I have no idea what the issue could be.

Ryukahn, try using a flash drive with the mp3s (are they DRM protected?) and if that doesn't work try networking your computer and 360 together using Windows Media Player 11. Yeah I'd use the flash drive trick.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ryukahn, try using a flash drive with the mp3s (are they DRM protected?) and if that doesn't work try networking your computer and 360 together using Windows Media Player 11. Yeah I'd use the flash drive trick.[/QUOTE]

They aren't protected, I double-checked to make sure they were not. I tried connecting a usb device with the songs on it as well as connecting it with WMP11, and both options only let me stream the songs, not download them to the 360.

I need to buy another USB Flash drive, and I want to double check-are they still limited to only 16GB? Sony's got a 32GB model I'd buy instead if the Xbox could use it. I sort of hate buying one, and then next year Microsoft ups the (kinda random?) limit.

Can anyone tell me if the disc drive stops spinning when games are installed onto a hard drive? I'm thinking about purchasing a 120 GB hard drive to install specific games so that I can reduce the risk of scratching games if my Xbox 360 is moved. I've never moved it while a disc is inside of it, but I just want to reduce the chances of it ever happening.

If anyone could answer me that would be great! =D

[quote name='MassiveAx3']Can anyone tell me if the disc drive stops spinning when games are installed onto a hard drive? I'm thinking about purchasing a 120 GB hard drive to install specific games so that I can reduce the risk of scratching games if my Xbox 360 is moved. I've never moved it while a disc is inside of it, but I just want to reduce the chances of it ever happening.

If anyone could answer me that would be great! =D[/QUOTE]

The two I've had since the feature came out DO spin down the drive after a brief disc check. I think that's the norm, though I think I've heard of some people's systems never spinning down the drive?

The main point of it was to quiet the system up, and it really does do that since most of the noise is from that optical drive.

Given the price of the proprietary drives, you MIGHT consider selling your system for a $200 new one when/if that comes out, and throw in your own drive...okay this is super speculative because Giant Bomb from yesterday they were actually thinking it's STILL a proprietary drive.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I need to buy another USB Flash drive, and I want to double check-are they still limited to only 16GB? Sony's got a 32GB model I'd buy instead if the Xbox could use it. I sort of hate buying one, and then next year Microsoft ups the (kinda random?) limit.[/QUOTE]
Still limited. If it's any consolation, the remaining space can still be used by other devices (eg. transfering files from pc to pc).

Cool, thanks! Kind of weird it can be dual formatted. I guess I'll just buy the 16GB one since it's half the price. Hopefully they'll bump that in the future.

At least I held off on buying more memory cards!

EXCELLENT find, I hadn't seen Anandtech had an article yet. If anyone will have info on the hard drive, he will! I'll have to read it later.

Oh and Tony Stark, nice! Wish I could just have him as my stupid avatar.

[quote name='shrike4242']Nope. You need the other 360 to do the license transfer for it to be successful. You put in the Console ID of the new system on the license transfer page, and the new 360 has to be on to get the "ping" from XBL that it has the content license for all of your content.

You'll still need to do the download for all of the items, since they need to be re-DRM'd to your new console, though you can't do the license transfer without the console ID of the new console and have said console available to XBL.[/QUOTE]
This doesn't make sense to me. If you trade a console in for the new console you obviously won't be able to have the old console "on" for the transfer to the new console.

Is there a better explanation of how this works other than the confusing FAQ on xbox.com?

also, does the DRM transfer move account information for all accounts on one Xbox or do I need to perform the DRM transfer once for each profile. I have two different profiles on the same xbox that I have downloaded content for and my son also has a profile that he has downloaded content for.

[quote name='lllGurulll']This doesn't make sense to me. If you trade a console in for the new console you obviously won't be able to have the old console "on" for the transfer to the new console.

Is there a better explanation of how this works other than the confusing FAQ on xbox.com?

also, does the DRM transfer move account information for all accounts on one Xbox or do I need to perform the DRM transfer once for each profile. I have two different profiles on the same xbox that I have downloaded content for and my son also has a profile that he has downloaded content for.[/QUOTE]

Here's the big explanation to the whole DLC DRM licensing situation. Microsoft is trying to restrict people from accessing content that people don't actually own so they did the following:

1. Requirement of license transfers if changing to new consoles to have access to all users ( once per year...i think. )

2. Only the original gamer tag has access to the content without the license transfer.

So to answer your question, the license transfer only works for that one account's contents. So basically your gonna have to do a DRM transfer for each account.

Edit: Oh yeah BTW XBL keeps record of the licenses of everything you download. So you only really need your New Console and having it access XBL.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lllGurulll']This doesn't make sense to me. If you trade a console in for the new console you obviously won't be able to have the old console "on" for the transfer to the new console.

also, does the DRM transfer move account information for all accounts on one Xbox or do I need to perform the DRM transfer once for each profile. I have two different profiles on the same xbox that I have downloaded content for and my son also has a profile that he has downloaded content for.[/QUOTE]The console that needs to be "on" is the new one, not the old one. When you do the DRM tool on the Xbox website, it strips the old console's console ID from the content and it won't assign the new console's console ID to the content for the DRM until it can "see" it on the Internet. It doesn't need the old one around in any way.

The CAG I was responding to was asking about doing this for his new console he doesn't have yet. The content is tied to the old console until you do the DRM transfer, where it's stripped off the old one and put on to the new one. If you don't have the new console yet, you can't do it, and it doesn't matter what's up with the old one.

The DRM transfer changes the console ID associated with the items purchased on that console, it doesn't do anything in regards to profiles. You do it once per console.

[quote name='shrike4242']The console that needs to be "on" is the new one, not the old one. When you do the DRM tool on the Xbox website, it strips the old console's console ID from the content and it won't assign the new console's console ID to the content for the DRM until it can "see" it on the Internet. It doesn't need the old one around in any way.

The CAG I was responding to was asking about doing this for his new console he doesn't have yet. The content is tied to the old console until you do the DRM transfer, where it's stripped off the old one and put on to the new one. If you don't have the new console yet, you can't do it, and it doesn't matter what's up with the old one.

The DRM transfer changes the console ID associated with the items purchased on that console, it doesn't do anything in regards to profiles. You do it once per console.[/QUOTE]So if I do a license transfer on the website, do I have to re-download everything again in order for it to trigger regardless of the fact if I had all the content transferred from an external HD?

I did the license transfer then it brought me to a page showing a download queue and said something about auto downloading them and only 30 at a time, so i clicked next but it brings me to a webpage saying sorry this page is unavailable... wth... I checked the console id # and it matches me new console. Do I have to redownload everything again to transfer the licenses?

[quote name='J7.']I did the license transfer then it brought me to a page showing a download queue and said something about auto downloading them and only 30 at a time, so i clicked next but it brings me to a webpage saying sorry this page is unavailable... wth... I checked the console id # and it matches me new console. Do I have to redownload everything again to transfer the licenses?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had to do a re-download of all my items a while ago (half a year or more) manually. Crap it must have taken 2 or 3 hours to do that!

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I had to do a re-download of all my items a while ago (half a year or more) manually. Crap it must have taken 2 or 3 hours to do that![/QUOTE]

fuck! I have a shitload of demos, trailers, shit like that, but only a few items I actually bought. I think I will try to selectively dl those. I wish their license transfer site actually fucking worked. Best way to check if the licenses transfered to try to play your games without being online?

[quote name='Ma12kez']So if I do a license transfer on the website, do I have to re-download everything again in order for it to trigger regardless of the fact if I had all the content transferred from an external HD?[/QUOTE]You have do to the license transfer and the redownload of everything, yes. Regardless of how it made it on to the new system.

I did the same thing on my new system, and swapped between my PC and the 360 to queue up items to download. When the queue was empty, I went through my download history more and set up more items to download.

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to take the hard drive from my living room 360 and attach it to the 360 Arcade in my bedroom instead of using a memory card to play saved games between the two?

[quote name='shrike4242']You have do to the license transfer and the redownload of everything, yes. Regardless of how it made it on to the new system.

I did the same thing on my new system, and swapped between my PC and the 360 to queue up items to download. When the queue was empty, I went through my download history more and set up more items to download.[/QUOTE]Thanks.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Okay, this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to take the hard drive from my living room 360 and attach it to the 360 Arcade in my bedroom instead of using a memory card to play saved games between the two?[/QUOTE]Yes it should work as long as you have the Gamertag associated with the saved content on that same hard drive. Some DLC, if not all, will require you to be on Xbox Live to access it if you're on the console that didn't originally download the content.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Okay, this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to take the hard drive from my living room 360 and attach it to the 360 Arcade in my bedroom instead of using a memory card to play saved games between the two?[/QUOTE]

Yes, seriously that was a stupid question. just try it. And the answer is yes it will work.

This might be a stupid question, but how do you cancel auto-renew for XBL? Months ago I found a link in this forum buried deep in some random thread that went to an account management page. Microsoft apparently makes it somewhat difficult and I don't feel like calling the hotline and dealing with that shit and as far as I can tell it's no longer possible to do in the XBL dashboard. If anyone has that link I'd be appreciative. It's maybe something that would be good to put in the FAQ here.

Ugh, and this is why I won't give my credit card number to Microsoft LOL. I keep hearing stuff like that. I'll just use regular stores.

[quote name='kmiller9959']This might be a stupid question, but how do you cancel auto-renew for XBL? Months ago I found a link in this forum buried deep in some random thread that went to an account management page. Microsoft apparently makes it somewhat difficult and I don't feel like calling the hotline and dealing with that shit and as far as I can tell it's no longer possible to do in the XBL dashboard. If anyone has that link I'd be appreciative. It's maybe something that would be good to put in the FAQ here.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Wolfpup']Ugh, and this is why I won't give my credit card number to Microsoft LOL. I keep hearing stuff like that. I'll just use regular stores.[/QUOTE]
I just did this recently: http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/29/how-to-turn-off-xbox-live-account-auto-renewal.aspx

[quote name='Ma12kez']Thanks.

Yes it should work as long as you have the Gamertag associated with the saved content on that same hard drive. Some DLC, if not all, will require you to be on Xbox Live to access it if you're on the console that didn't originally download the content.[/QUOTE]

Gracias!

I understand this question might be stupid, and I should really know better based on my tech background but I'll ask anyway and hope someone can help out.

I looked on google but only found some old articles. I was hoping that by now there'd be someone giving the lowdown on it since we are in July and its been out for awhile and more tests could've been done (like the one here with the game installs on the HDD).

The question is about the USB flash drives.

I am thinking of getting a 16GB one to use for my Arcade games so that my HDD can be used just for the disk based games and whatnot.

Thing is, will running the Arcade games off of the USB be a detriment at all while your playing the games?

ie., do they run just as good in everyway as if the were running off of the HDD?

...maybe even better?

What about disk based games? If you install them on the flash, even though it takes longer to install them on the flash, once they are on there, how do they run? As fast as the HDD, slower, same?

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I understand this question might be stupid, and I should really know better based on my tech background but I'll ask anyway and hope someone can help out.

I looked on google but only found some old articles. I was hoping that by now there'd be someone giving the lowdown on it since we are in July and its been out for awhile and more tests could've been done (like the one here with the game installs on the HDD).

The question is about the USB flash drives.

I am thinking of getting a 16GB one to use for my Arcade games so that my HDD can be used just for the disk based games and whatnot.

Thing is, will running the Arcade games off of the USB be a detriment at all while your playing the games?

ie., do they run just as good in everyway as if the were running off of the HDD?

...maybe even better?

What about disk based games? If you install them on the flash, even though it takes longer to install them on the flash, once they are on there, how do they run? As fast as the HDD, slower, same?[/QUOTE]

I guess it is possible to install games to a USB drive?

It would be slower than the hard drive, as USB 2.0 is slower than SATA, and flash memory sticks are slower than hard drives. I guess it should be faster than the optical drive...probably...although USB requires the CPU to do a lot more work, so there's at least some chance it could impact game performance (although I'd guess so long as one of the three CPUs has a lot of cycles doing nothing, it could use that for USB access without issues).

bread's done
Back