The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

For those of us who are buying 4GB consoles and upgrading the HDD, is there anything useful that can be done with the 4GB HDD besides using it as a paper weight?

[quote name='RCS0926']For those of us who are buying 4GB consoles and upgrading the HDD, is there anything useful that can be done with the 4GB HDD besides using it as a paper weight?[/QUOTE]

hahaha, there is no HD, it's in internal memory LOL

[quote name='stoned99']hahaha, there is no HD, it's in internal memory LOL[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense. It would've been weird if MS included a 4GB HDD.

Has anyone else noticed that the discs are spinning longer on installed games lately? I started noticing this a few weeks ago. Whereas I used to only hear the disc spinning up for a few seconds when launching a game it now takes 2 or 3 minutes to stop spinning across all games. I imagine the change must have come in one of the recent updates and would have some sort of ramifications for piracy.

As a loud Elite owner I'm annoyed to have to listen to the disc spin and increase wear on my system thanks to scum pirates.

I've noticed that with Battlefield 3 in particular, just because I've been playing it a lot lately. It spins, not just as it starts to load, but continues to spin for a minute or two, until the game has completely finished loading. So it's not just you.

Yeah I really don't like it. I realize that it isn't creating that much extra wear but it's just obnoxious to get used to something and just have it suddenly change. I've also noticed longer shutdown times. I used to love how quickly the 360 would shut down (2-3 seconds) but it now takes at least 10-15 seconds for me. It makes me wonder if I really told it to shut down.

Got my new 4GB Kinect bundle yesterday. Installing the 250GB HDD was a breeze, and the initial set-up went smoothly. I configured the Kinect and had no problems. My family room is more than big enough to accommodate 2 players using the Kinect. I tried out Kinect Adventures and had no issues with the camera tracking my body movements. The Kinect games that I really want to test out (Dance Central and Kinect Sports series) are coming in today, so I'll see how those work out.

Overall, I'm liking the streamlined features of my new 360. I like 360's ability to do background downloads, and I also love the fact that I can add items to my download queue from any computer. I don't have a Gold membership because I don't really plan on gaming online, but I'll sign up for a Gold sub if I see other features worth using. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Hi all, couple of questions.

I noticed some demos are on the xbox that I did not ask for, like Hydro Thunder and Trials HD. Are these pre-loaded demos?

Also , I set the xbox to continue downloading after I shut it off, and I am doing that for the first time now. When I shut off the xbox, the fan came on and is running pretty loudly. It is not this loud when I am using the xbox, playing a game, etc.

The light is flashing, telling me download is in progress, but why does the fan come on when downloading after turning the unit off?

Thanks

Just got my 1st 360 today (250 gb from BestBuy BF sale). What game should I christen it with? I have Gears triple pack, Halo Reach, & Bioshock. I also have Fable 3 but I know I'm not getting into that now.

Is there any reason to save Reach for after I've played Halo 3? I played 1 and 2 on the orig. Xbox. Reach is a prequel of the main story, right? So it shouldn't matter spoilerwise...

Correct Reach follows different characters and sets up the story of the fall of Reach.

I'd recommend playing Bioshock first, it's really a good game, (memorable too).

[quote name='Spybreak8']
I'd recommend playing Bioshock first, it's really a good game, (memorable too).[/QUOTE] Seconded. Then Bioshock 2, then the Minerva's Den DLC.

[quote name='The Linguist']Just got my 1st 360 today (250 gb from BestBuy BF sale). What game should I christen it with? I have Gears triple pack, Halo Reach, & Bioshock. I also have Fable 3 but I know I'm not getting into that now.

Is there any reason to save Reach for after I've played Halo 3? I played 1 and 2 on the orig. Xbox. Reach is a prequel of the main story, right? So it shouldn't matter spoilerwise...[/QUOTE]

I love Gears, but Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played. Two very different games that still fall within the shooter realm, can't go wrong with either one. You made some good choices.

Thanks for the input, all. I also picked up Bioshock 2 on Target clearance. Maybe I'll immerse myself in that world for a few weeks. I did try out Reach last night. It brought back great memories of the original games.

So I transferred all of my licenses over to my new 320GB HD. Now I'm readding everything to my queue to finish things up, but some of the games, even though they're on my HD, are redownloading. I even tested out Sonic Adventure while it was downloading-- the game loaded fine and didn't need to redownload. Why is this? Will my license not transfer unless I let it download all the way?
Is there an easy way to verify all of my licenses transferred over?

Ok, I'm kinda confused here...

Back before I got rid of my 20GB 360 (I believe this was just before the Slim came out), I somehow transfered some of my game saves/data from my 360 to my PC using a USB drive. But for some reason, I can't figure out how I did it. I know I didn't do any hacks or mods... all I remember is transfering saves from my 360 to a USB, and then just dragging and dropping the files on my computer.

But now, I can't do it. Even if I let the 360 format the USB drive first. Did MS change this?

EDIT* Are the new 360's disc drives supposed to be 2x as loud when standing vs when sitting flat?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Linguist']Just got my 1st 360 today (250 gb from BestBuy BF sale). What game should I christen it with? I have Gears triple pack, Halo Reach, & Bioshock. I also have Fable 3 but I know I'm not getting into that now.

Is there any reason to save Reach for after I've played Halo 3? I played 1 and 2 on the orig. Xbox. Reach is a prequel of the main story, right? So it shouldn't matter spoilerwise...[/QUOTE]

You should get Mass effect and Mass effect 2 if you haven't already played them on another medium. I have only played Mass effect, but I can tell you that it is very awesome and amazing and is a very well designed game. I can't believe I managed to finish a 40-50 hour game in only 2-3 weeks! The platinum hits version can be found for $20, and you can get one even cheaper used and you will still be able to get all the extras from it.

Does anyone have U-Verse? I just got new service (upgraded) and now have the NVG510 gateway. Problem is, I was previously using a Linksys router and bridge with a modem (DSL), and now cannot connect to Xbox Live.

How do I use the WET11 bridge in conjuction with either the NVG510 gateway and/or the Linksys router (don't remember the model right now)?

I would think that I would not even need the Linksys router, since the gateway acts as both modem and router.

I don't know shit about computers, so any help would be appreciated.

I switched to Uverse a month ago. My 360 connects via the original Xbox wireless adapter (MN-740) & the only change I had to make was to switch the security from WPA to WEP.

Try turning turn off all wireless security temporarily & see if it works that way.

I previously had a Linksys router with Time Warner. I just unhooked it & put it away since the AT&T gateway does wired & wireless.

[quote name='klwillis45']I switched to Uverse a month ago. My 360 connects via the original Xbox wireless adapter (MN-740) & the only change I had to make was to switch the security from WPA to WEP.

Try turning turn off all wireless security temporarily & see if it works that way.

I previously had a Linksys router with Time Warner. I just unhooked it & put it away since the AT&T gateway does wired & wireless.[/QUOTE]

Did you have to pay the 100$ for the xbox connect ?

[quote name='stoned99']Did you have to pay the 100$ for the xbox connect ?[/QUOTE] No, I'm not using the 360 as a Uverse box.

[quote name='klwillis45']I switched to Uverse a month ago. My 360 connects via the original Xbox wireless adapter (MN-740) & the only change I had to make was to switch the security from WPA to WEP.

I previously had a Linksys router with Time Warner. I just unhooked it & put it away since the AT&T gateway does wired & wireless.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The tech from U-Verse said that all I needed to do was re-install the software for WET11, but since I didn't have the disc, I just ordered a WET610N and installed that. Worked like a charm.

I was going to just get the Xbox adapter, but I also needed something for DirecTV's On-Demand feature.

Quick question, I've been using the background download when I power down the system and have the auto shutdown turned to OFF.

However sometimes after a period of time, the system just shuts it self off, even with no interaction from myself to the system and even though it's suppose to remain in low power mode to download stuff.

Anyone know why this is? And how I can fix it?

My guess is it has to do with a separation or interruption with your internet connection. The 360 looses your internet and therefore can't download the file automatically shutting off. This has happened to me in the past where I've expected the download to be complete by morning but something interrupted things and I had to start where I left off.

[quote name='Spybreak8']My guess is it has to do with a separation or interruption with your internet connection. The 360 looses your internet and therefore can't download the file automatically shutting off. This has happened to me in the past where I've expected the download to be complete by morning but something interrupted things and I had to start where I left off.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks, annoying but I'll deal with it. ;)

Can anyone help me with a slim 360 question? Do the play and charge kits from the older systems not work with the newer systems? I have a play and charge kit that does not charge a battery pack that's in a new controller that came with the system. Thanks.

They should work just fine, so something else must be wrong.

Personally I just use normal NiMH batteries though, although the play and charge kits seem like a pretty good idea too.

I received the 4GB Xbox with Kinect for Christmas and I want to get a hard drive so I can play old Xbox games, store videos,etc.. The problem is I don't know which ones will work with the slim console I own. To add to the confusion, I've read one person say the fat drives won't work and another person said their fat drive worked fine on their slim 360.

If someone could clear up what works and what doesn't, I would really appreciate it.

the hd in both the fat and slim is actually a laptop hd, but they are in different enclosures. you can use the hd from a fat in a slim, but to do so safely you should buy the smaller case from ebay. the cases run about 5$. Gamestop today have 120gig fat drives for 25$. To get the hd out of a fat enclosure you either need the correct screwdriver bit, or liberal use of force to break the case open. I've done it both ways. search youtube for videos on what to do.

I just upgraded to a GoW slim from my Elite w/ wireless adapter. I figured out how to auto sign in to my profile, but how do I make it so that I have to manually log into Live? My buddy pretty much only plays Duty, so I'd like to play some of my crazy backlog without insulting him and not responding to his invites.

[quote name='darrenaero']I just upgraded to a GoW slim from my Elite w/ wireless adapter. I figured out how to auto sign in to my profile, but how do I make it so that I have to manually log into Live? My buddy pretty much only plays Duty, so I'd like to play some of my crazy backlog without insulting him and not responding to his invites.[/QUOTE]

You can hide your online status through the settings menu.

[quote name='Link927']You can hide your online status through the settings menu.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that only works AFTER I've logged on. In theory, my name would pop on his screen and then see me ignoring him playing something else, or be mysteriously "offline".

[quote name='darrenaero']Yeah, but that only works AFTER I've logged on. In theory, my name would pop on his screen and then see me ignoring him playing something else, or be mysteriously "offline".[/QUOTE]

Set up a pass code on your account (like a 4-digit PIN). When you turn on your Xbox, you will be signed in to your account, but it won't connect to Xbox Live until you put in your pass code.

From the Dashboard -> Settings -> Account -> Your Information -> Xbox LIVE Pass Code

Then you will need to enter a 4-digit code, each digit associated with a different button on the controller. You could easily just set it as 0000 which would be four presses of the Y button.

I have mine set up this way (different code, obviously) since my daughter always had a habit of finding her way into the marketplace and buying random crap. Now it keeps my account offline, unless I want it connected to Live.

[quote name='darrenaero']Yeah, but that only works AFTER I've logged on. In theory, my name would pop on his screen and then see me ignoring him playing something else, or be mysteriously "offline".[/QUOTE]

You can also go onto xbox.com and under "Privacy and Online Settings", Block your "online status" before you power on your Xbox.

OK, I checked out the OP and most of the links are dead.

Long story short, I got a free 360 console (white), with a power cord/box, and a harddrive from a garage sale last year. I do not have a controller or an a/v cable.

1) Will an original wired xbox controller work on a 360? (I have never owned a xbox, but I have picked up controllers at garage sales)

2) What are my options for a/v cables? I talked to a xbox rep and he said it has an HDMI port, but I don't see anything on the back that looks like HDMI. I have a 1080p tv, so I guess I would like the 'best' cable that I can get cheap on amazon or some other site.

any help would be appreciated!

[quote name='slowdive21']OK, I checked out the OP and most of the links are dead.

Long story short, I got a free 360 console (white), with a power cord/box, and a harddrive from a garage sale last year. I do not have a controller or an a/v cable.

1) Will an original wired xbox controller work on a 360? (I have never owned a xbox, but I have picked up controllers at garage sales)

2) What are my options for a/v cables? I talked to a xbox rep and he said it has an HDMI port, but I don't see anything on the back that looks like HDMI. I have a 1080p tv, so I guess I would like the 'best' cable that I can get cheap on amazon or some other site.

any help would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

1)An original Xbox controller will NOT work on a 360 console. You'll have to spring for a wired/wireless 360 controller.

(2)The "original" Xbox 360's did NOT have HDMI so if you don't see it, you don't have it. You can still output 1080p, but you'll have to use the component(YPbPr) HD cable.
Also known as the Red/Blue/Green cable. HDMI vs NON-HDMI Pic. HDMI is on the bottom console if you couldn't tell.

I'm looking at possibly getting a 250 GB Kinect bundle, but I have a question about the glossy vs. matte console debacle. Last I read, the glossy finish went out of manufacture last fall. Although most of you would likely disagree, I love the glossy finish and cannot stand the look of the matte (I never liked the old fat Elites in black, either). I'm never going to touch the thing once it goes on the shelf, so the fingerprint issue doesn't bother me. My fat old glossy PS3 seems to be holding up well.

Is it realistic in any way to think that there might still be some of the glossy black Kinect bundles available new, or are they all long gone by now? Secondly, is there any way to tell by looking at the exterior packaging whether there's a glossy console inside?

[quote name='Pontiaction']I'm looking at possibly getting a 250 GB Kinect bundle, but I have a question about the glossy vs. matte console debacle. Last I read, the glossy finish went out of manufacture last fall. Although most of you would likely disagree, I love the glossy finish and cannot stand the look of the matte (I never liked the old fat Elites in black, either). I'm never going to touch the thing once it goes on the shelf, so the fingerprint issue doesn't bother me. My fat old glossy PS3 seems to be holding up well.

Is it realistic in any way to think that there might still be some of the glossy black Kinect bundles available new, or are they all long gone by now? Secondly, is there any way to tell by looking at the exterior packaging whether there's a glossy console inside?[/QUOTE]

Based off of the 360's massive sales, the glossy systems are long gone by now. Your best bet is to get one used.

And yes, you can tell from the outside of the box. I worked in Gamestop for a few years and I recall that.

Ok so it looks like I'll be getting a nice hefty tax refund which I'm planning on upgrading my 360 with. I've got a Pro model with a 120GB hard drive in it (the system that I got from support after my first 360 RROD). I want to get something out of this because I took really good care of it (it's not refurbished either), and aside from the disc drive it's in good condition. My question relates to the new hard drives. I was planning on purchasing the 250 GB XboxS from BB and using my old model for trade in. How exactly would I transfer my stuff from my 120 Phat hdd to the 250S hdd? Will the transfer cables I have work, which I used going from a 20GB to 120GB hdd? Should I trade in my 360 with the old 20 GB hdd I still have lying around?

I have two Xbox 360 controllers that no longer work properly. One of the two officially malfunctioned on me today (right stick gets stuck/slow response), while the other one has had right stick sticking problems for a few months and has been in storage. I've seen that there are kits to fix controllers, but I've skeptical about purchasing one. I'd appreciate it if anyone that has experience with these kits can provide some feedback. Concurrently, based on the problems I have described, I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether this is a fixable matter, or just time to get new controllers.

Thanks.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok so it looks like I'll be getting a nice hefty tax refund which I'm planning on upgrading my 360 with. I've got a Pro model with a 120GB hard drive in it (the system that I got from support after my first 360 RROD). I want to get something out of this because I took really good care of it (it's not refurbished either), and aside from the disc drive it's in good condition. My question relates to the new hard drives. I was planning on purchasing the 250 GB XboxS from BB and using my old model for trade in. How exactly would I transfer my stuff from my 120 Phat hdd to the 250S hdd? Will the transfer cables I have work, which I used going from a 20GB to 120GB hdd? Should I trade in my 360 with the old 20 GB hdd I still have lying around?[/QUOTE]

Can anyone give me any answers on this matter?

Ok so I got the new Xbox Slim and got a 320 GB hard drive to go with it. Was able to transfer over my data no problem so that's all set. Now though, since I'm using HDMI (old 360 didn't have it), whenever I have the AV cables plugged in as well the xbox will not shut down when I tell it to (it actually just restarts it). I see on the internet that the reason is because both are plugged in at the same time. So my question is how do I channel sound through my surround headset, using white & red cables, if I were to just use the HDMI. I don't think it's possible, do I need an adapter. I have the AV dongle obviously.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok so I got the new Xbox Slim and got a 320 GB hard drive to go with it. Was able to transfer over my data no problem so that's all set. Now though, since I'm using HDMI (old 360 didn't have it), whenever I have the AV cables plugged in as well the xbox will not shut down when I tell it to (it actually just restarts it). I see on the internet that the reason is because both are plugged in at the same time. So my question is how do I channel sound through my surround headset, using white & red cables, if I were to just use the HDMI. I don't think it's possible, do I need an adapter. I have the AV dongle obviously.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried connecting the headset to the audio output on the TV itself? Most TVs have at least the red/white composite output jacks on them.

[quote name='sp00ge']Have you tried connecting the headset to the audio output on the TV itself? Most TVs have at least the red/white composite output jacks on them.[/QUOTE]

Hmm forgot to mention my setup is with a LCD monitor, not a TV. I'm looking to get a HDTV purchase in the future but I gotta pay the bills every month first.

I've been trying to find some info on how good the Jaspers are, but I haven't seen much aside from how to tell their models. I'm not sure if I want to shell out for the RE5 edition or the $30-ish extra for a new Slim 4gb and then put my 120 gb inside.

I also considered getting one of the slims from Warehouse Deals when they show up for $140-ish, but again not having a warranty and having to fix the HD seems like a bit much.

So are the Jaspers really that much better to not worry about the warranty?

After downloading the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC, I'm noticing the system is freezing when I try to load the game. I then have to push the power button on the console to turn it off then turn it back on for the game to play properly. I'm not having this problem with any other game. I cleared my system cache, there are no red lights, & I'm still under warranty (3 weeks left). I have the 4GB system w/ Kinect and a Microsoft 250GB hard drive. Is it Arkham City itself that has issues? Does anyone else experience this problem? Would you advise I contact Microsoft for repairs?

[quote name='UnlockPotential']After downloading the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC, I'm noticing the system is freezing when I try to load the game. I then have to push the power button on the console to turn it off then turn it back on for the game to play properly. I'm not having this problem with any other game. I cleared my system cache, there are no red lights, & I'm still under warranty (3 weeks left). I have the 4GB system w/ Kinect and a Microsoft 250GB hard drive. Is it Arkham City itself that has issues? Does anyone else experience this problem? Would you advise I contact Microsoft for repairs?[/QUOTE]

Well since this is only happening with one game I suggest finding more info through Rocksteady as that sounds like a specific issue.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']After downloading the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC, I'm noticing the system is freezing when I try to load the game. I then have to push the power button on the console to turn it off then turn it back on for the game to play properly. I'm not having this problem with any other game. I cleared my system cache, there are no red lights, & I'm still under warranty (3 weeks left). I have the 4GB system w/ Kinect and a Microsoft 250GB hard drive. Is it Arkham City itself that has issues? Does anyone else experience this problem? Would you advise I contact Microsoft for repairs?[/QUOTE]

I've had this problem happen to me with other games. What I've done to fix it. Is if you have the game installed. Delete it and reinstall. Plus delete the dlc and redownload. That has personally worked for me every time that has happened.

[quote name='AshesofWake']I've had this problem happen to me with other games. What I've done to fix it. Is if you have the game installed. Delete it and reinstall. Plus delete the dlc and redownload. That has personally worked for me every time that has happened.[/QUOTE]
Yup. That did the trick. Thanks a lot!

bread's done
Back