The General eBay Rant Thread

Well was anything iffy about the stylus? And good luck, let us know how it goes!
Not that I know of.. I have been emailing back and forth with the buyer and I don't think she knew the stylus is in the system.. She said she would confirm for me when she got off work.. She has at least been receptive to withdrawing neg feedback if I ship her a stylus or give her a partial refund if its not in the system..

Last edited by a moderator:
USPS not scanning packages sucks. I realize only the final delivery scan is "guaranteed" by the Delivery Confirmation service. I dropped off two packages for buyers about 6ish days ago. Not a single scan on the DC so far. They're both going to the same region of the country so I figure they're traveling together, avoiding being scanned at every destination so far. I'm hoping they get to their respective local sort centers soon and get scanned there so I can stop wondering if they fell into a black hole at my local post office.

USPS not scanning packages sucks. I realize only the final delivery scan is "guaranteed" by the Delivery Confirmation service. I dropped off two packages for buyers about 6ish days ago. Not a single scan on the DC so far. They're both going to the same region of the country so I figure they're traveling together, avoiding being scanned at every destination so far. I'm hoping they get to their respective local sort centers soon and get scanned there so I can stop wondering if they fell into a black hole at my local post office.
That's so strange. This isn't the first time I'm hearing of this complaint...

But every package that I have EVER shipped has always looked as follows:
o0xz.jpg

At worst, the DC has gotten stuck for a few days, but that's it.

Why do you guys think that is? Is it the way different sorting facilities work?

I'm just interested in knowing...How I see all the scans, and some people only get "Electronic Shipping Info Received" and then "Delivered".

So i have some imported ps1 games from japan that I'm looking to sell. They are Japanese games so I figure I should open up my shipping to include japan but I've never shipped international so i have no idea what to price shipping. Does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to ship something less then 10 ounces to japan and what service to use?

And a update to what I posted ages ago about the item not received apparently he owns two houses and the one that ebay gave me isn't supposed to receive mail but he said its fine and he closed the case. Thought for sure that I was going to get a case and a neg out of that.

That's so strange. This isn't the first time I'm hearing of this complaint...

But every package that I have EVER shipped has always looked as follows:
o0xz.jpg

At worst, the DC has gotten stuck for a few days, but that's it.

Why do you guys think that is? Is it the way different sorting facilities work?

I'm just interested in knowing...How I see all the scans, and some people only get "Electronic Shipping Info Received" and then "Delivered".
Generally I'm like you - most of the packages I sent and receive are scanned early and often. I've had a few that I've sent to sellers that didn't get scanned for a handful of days because the local post office and/or the local sort facility didn't feel like making the scans. But those usually got scanned a little bit down the line. This one is the worst so far I've had with no activity on either package going from California to Ohio and Kentucky respectively. Like I said, I'm hoping they get scanned soon at the local sort facility or post office, otherwise I'm going to be collectively out of a good chunk of money not only in revenue but in the cost of the items that may be "lost". I think it should be USPS policy to scan all packages at the local post office to confirm acceptance and then again at delivery, if not more times in between. Otherwise how are people supposed to have confidence in dropping things in the APC bin or leaving them on the designated spot on the counter for pre-paid drop offs?

And now my packages have been scanned... as being accepted today and going to the sort facility today. So now I'm going to look like I shipped things out a week late. Thanks, USPS.

Thats why I NEVER just drop of. I need a receipt.
I've pretty much never had a big issue before this recent couple of packages. Just being able to drop it off and not wait in line is half of the benefit of printing your own label (with the other half being the cost savings). With dropping off, it's a 1 minute affair at the post office, versus waiting in line which can be 10-15+ minutes almost any time of day knowing how the local post offices work.

Other than not getting scanned, my biggest fear with the counter drop off method was people coming up and possibly just stealing packages. Half the time no one is paying attention to the drop off pile. I'm sure there might be a security camera or two somewhere but I get the feeling most post offices don't have serious security up front. Someone could just walk in, grab a few packages off the counter, and walk out and most people probably wouldn't notice or care. But I assume most people realize stealing mail like that is a federal crime and probably not worth it seeing how they really wouldn't know what the contents of any packages are.

I thought you couldn't drop off if the package was over a certain weight.

Either way, I always wait to get a receipt. Just added security. If things go to hell, I've got actual proof of mailing as opposed to a shipping label that anyone can print.

How big is your PO if you can just drop off a package and have someone steal it without anyone else noticing...?

The weight limit applies only if the item weighs over 13 oz and you use stamps as postage and if putting the item in a mailbox. I don't think it applies to leaving an item at the counter though.

I thought you couldn't drop off if the package was over a certain weight.

Either way, I always wait to get a receipt. Just added security. If things go to hell, I've got actual proof of mailing as opposed to a shipping label that anyone can print.

How big is your PO if you can just drop off a package and have someone steal it without anyone else noticing...?
You can't just drop packages you've used actual stamps for if the package is over 13 ounces. eBay/PayPal labelled stuff can be dropped off.

The post offices around me are regular sized I guess? But the lobbies aren't big. The drop off space on the counter isn't more than 5 feet from an exit. Most of the time that counter space is at the opposite end of where the employees are working. If you just acted like you were dropping something off you could easily walk out with something more. I hope people don't do that, but I feel like that area is ripe for the picking since it seems relatively unattended judging by the amount of packages that build up on that counter space.

Aah...Well we don't have a drop off counter as such.

Our PO is much smaller, which means longer lines, BUT no package lost. Yet. Knock on wood.

I know every one there, because there's only two regular clerks. And I'm there almost every other day.

So usually that means, I can cut the line, and just drop off them package with them..and then collect the receipt a day or two later.

I just got a phone from Ebay and the wifi doesn't work right, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes. It is a Droid x2. What should I do? I really like the phone but I just want to use the wifi since I can't afford a data plan. also I checked the description and there is no mention of the problem.

I've pretty much never had a big issue before this recent couple of packages. Just being able to drop it off and not wait in line is half of the benefit of printing your own label (with the other half being the cost savings). With dropping off, it's a 1 minute affair at the post office, versus waiting in line which can be 10-15+ minutes almost any time of day knowing how the local post offices work.

Other than not getting scanned, my biggest fear with the counter drop off method was people coming up and possibly just stealing packages. Half the time no one is paying attention to the drop off pile. I'm sure there might be a security camera or two somewhere but I get the feeling most post offices don't have serious security up front. Someone could just walk in, grab a few packages off the counter, and walk out and most people probably wouldn't notice or care. But I assume most people realize stealing mail like that is a federal crime and probably not worth it seeing how they really wouldn't know what the contents of any packages are.
This is me pretty much to a T, I don't like waiting in lines for the receipt if I don't have to, and I don't trust dropping it off on the counter all the time (though sometimes I do). If it's a big package that won't fit into the drop box inside the PO, then I will wait and get the receipt. For all others, I've stuck to my blind faith in the drop box with the pre-paid labels.

This is me pretty much to a T, I don't like waiting in lines for the receipt if I don't have to, and I don't trust dropping it off on the counter all the time (though sometimes I do). If it's a big package that won't fit into the drop box inside the PO, then I will wait and get the receipt. For all others, I've stuck to my blind faith in the drop box with the pre-paid labels.
I understand your guys concerns and I was that way the first year or two of selling on eBay.I would always go in, lug all my packages and then wait in line for them to scan them and issue a receipt.

Then I realized that receipt really is only good for piece of mind. I guess it is needed if you're doing next day domestic express and you want to get your fees back if the package doesn't arrive on time but it doesn't get you anywhere if your package ends up going missing. It does show that your package was accepted by USPS which is helpful if your tracking never enters the system but in a few thousand shipments I've never run into that problem and I've realized it's just a big waste of my time to wait for a receipt.

Now I mostly drop my packages off at a hardware store that is a USPS contract site. I do this because there cut-off time for taking packages is later (7PM vs 5PM at the post office) and they let me go around back and drop the packages off so I can get in and out quicker.

I also live about 10 miles from a sort facility and there drop off time for same day processing is 9PM so that comes in really helpful when UPS is letting getting a shipment to me (sometimes they don't come until 7PM) as I'd have an hour or two to repackage it and then drive it to the sort facility and drop it off.

I live in an area where I'm not too worried about walk-off theft though. I suppose if your P.O. was in a scummy area then maybe your concerns are valid. I think most people know that messing with the mail is a federal crime and as someone else mentioned the average person isn't going to walk off with a package unless they know something valuable is inside. I certainly wouldn't drop off and leave packages at a counter around or near a high profile product launch (iPhone, PS4, etc.) especially if people know you sell on eBay.

The part about the receipt is true...But atleast if the tracking gets stuck at "electronic info received", I've got some way of showing that I did in fact mail it out.

This saved my bacon once, when the buyer began ranting about how I was lying about mailing it the next business day.

The scan pacified him..and he apologized.

The package had fallen off a cart or something and didn't move from the PO for 3-4 days.

On a different note. Has this every happened to any of you?

You list something as - Blah Blah some movie collector's edition Box set New.

And then when you take a look at the listing, it has magically changed to "Blah Blah some movie; Collector';s#edition Box;Set New"

And I keep editing it back to normal..and it keeps turning back to the one with the semi-colons.

But funnily enough, when I do a search or in the "Selling" tab, the listing shows the correct title.

The part about the receipt is true...But atleast if the tracking gets stuck at "electronic info received", I've got some way of showing that I did in fact mail it out.

This saved my bacon once, when the buyer began ranting about how I was lying about mailing it the next business day.

The scan pacified him..and he apologized.

The package had fallen off a cart or something and didn't move from the PO for 3-4 days.

On a different note. Has this every happened to any of you?

You list something as - Blah Blah some movie collector's edition Box set New.

And then when you take a look at the listing, it has magically changed to "Blah Blah some movie; Collector';s#edition Box;Set New"

And I keep editing it back to normal..and it keeps turning back to the one with the semi-colons.

But funnily enough, when I do a search or in the "Selling" tab, the listing shows the correct title.
I've noticed eBay will capitalize weird words in some of my titles as they appear in the title section of the browser or make certain characters appear as other characters, but everything looks normal as far as search results and viewing the item page.

I've noticed eBay will capitalize weird words in some of my titles as they appear in the title section of the browser or make certain characters appear as other characters, but everything looks normal as far as search results and viewing the item page.
I can see my listing when I do a search for it without the extra symbols..so that's great.

Except that the first time around it had about 14 watchers. Now it has zero. Wondering if the extra symbols has anything to do with it..Or if that's just my luck. :/

Not ranting, just a question. I'm about to ship out Batman Arkham Origins CE and wondering if I can ship it by parcel mail. Priority is $40 and parcel is $19 right now. It's only 11 pounds but not sure if it's alright for me to ship via parcel select.

Not ranting, just a question. I'm about to ship out Batman Arkham Origins CE and wondering if I can ship it by parcel mail. Priority is $40 and parcel is $19 right now. It's only 11 pounds but not sure if it's alright for me to ship via parcel select.

Yeah of course you can. There are no "restrictions" on what qualifies for Parcel Select (it used to be called Parcel Post).

Just keep in mind it is a 5-10 business day "economy" service depending on the "to and from" aspect.

Yeah of course you can. There are no "restrictions" on what qualifies for Parcel Select (it used to be called Parcel Post).

Just keep in mind it is a 5-10 business day "economy" service depending on the "to and from" aspect.
Thanks! I was wondering about the size (130 combined length). I don't mind it taking a while to ship. It's a few states away so it should get there by next week.

Thanks! I was wondering about the size (130 combined length). I don't mind it taking a while to ship. It's a few states away so it should get there by next week.
Unless you used an oversized box you should be all set (I've shipped a few of those this week already).

Do you have the dimensions in front of you? I'll check my shipping calculator to see if it can go without having to pay for "oversized" postage.

The biggest annoynace for me recently is international people buying DVDs & games and then not knowing anything abour regions, etc.

I've had to refund 5 people this month who bought DVDs/games from the UK and didn't know anything about how to play foreign media.

The biggest annoynace for me recently is international people buying DVDs & games and then not knowing anything abour regions, etc.

I've had to refund 5 people this month who bought DVDs/games from the UK and didn't know anything about how to play foreign media.
Do you mention the countries that certain DVD/Game will play in and not play in, in your listing?

I've found that it's best to assume that the buyer is going to be someone who

-Can not read/understand English

-Does not look at photos

-Has half a brain cell

And make my listings as idiot-proof as possible.

Might help if you did the same.

Got a payment from a buyer and the paypal email said that I was ineligible for seller protection.

Logged in to Paypal, and sure enough...This is what it says :

qeon.jpg

So I called Paypal, and they said that there's a bug going around, and they are aware of the problem.

And in case something happens, they've got me covered, which I had them notate onto my account.

So just a heads up. In case this happens to one of you...Best to call Paypal and verify...but if everything looks okay, then it probably is.

Well was anything iffy about the stylus? And good luck, let us know how it goes!
Well I was able to work out a deal with the buyer for them to delete the negative. I refunded them $15 for the stylus.. I think it was worth the $15 bucks but i wish they would have never negged me before actually trying to work it out.

I noticed eBay just updated it's seller agreement policy regarding fees (just listed an item today).  If I read it right, they basically bill you for everything (fees, shipping labels) altogether at the end of your billing cycle instead of the invoice comprising of strictly eBay fees like it has in the past.  It's sort of annoying because I'd rather see the shipping label deducted directly out of my Paypal account at the time the label is created.  I sweep my funds weekly so I like to keep my Paypal movement "clean"  Sort of lame that I'll have to factor in shipping labels on average at the end of the month when I do my bank transfers even though I'm having access to more money up front. 

Well I was able to work out a deal with the buyer for them to delete the negative. I refunded them $15 for the stylus.. I think it was worth the $15 bucks but i wish they would have never negged me before actually trying to work it out.
Good to hear you got the negative deleted :)

I noticed eBay just updated it's seller agreement policy regarding fees (just listed an item today). If I read it right, they basically bill you for everything (fees, shipping labels) altogether at the end of your billing cycle instead of the invoice comprising of strictly eBay fees like it has in the past. It's sort of annoying because I'd rather see the shipping label deducted directly out of my Paypal account at the time the label is created. I sweep my funds weekly so I like to keep my Paypal movement "clean" Sort of lame that I'll have to factor in shipping labels on average at the end of the month when I do my bank transfers even though I'm having access to more money up front.
I don't know if I hit some kind of threshold on eBay or PayPal, but they auto-deduct shipping label fees from me immediately. I wish they'd just auto-deduct the fees too then just credit me back if there are any reimbursements.

Unless something changed within the last few hours, as always, my shipping label fees are deducted from my PP account at the time the label is created.

IMHO I hope they don't change that; It would be a nightmare trying to keep my account balanced correctly if they billed shipping labels all at once at the end of the month

So about a month ago I sold a $25 amazon card for a friend. The buyer had good feedback, and requested the code be sent via message, so I sent it and everything was fine. About a week ago, I get notified that the purchase was made with someone using a stolen credit card on the account, and are requesting their money back from me. My funds have been put on hold. I sent paypal the copy of the messages that I sent, hoping that will help me, or am I pretty much screwed in this situation?  I'm pretty sure it is against the ebay terms of service to send codes digitally even though lots of sellers do the same thing. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

So about a month ago I sold a $25 amazon card for a friend. The buyer had good feedback, and requested the code be sent via message, so I sent it and everything was fine. About a week ago, I get notified that the purchase was made with someone using a stolen credit card on the account, and are requesting their money back from me. My funds have been put on hold. I sent paypal the copy of the messages that I sent, hoping that will help me, or am I pretty much screwed in this situation? I'm pretty sure it is against the ebay terms of service to send codes digitally even though lots of sellers do the same thing. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

In order to be protected against an unauthorized use chargeback you have to show "proof of shipment". That is why in these instances it is best to send something via USPS even if you share the code first.

My rule of thumb is $25 or less I just take the gamble and anything more valuable then $25 I send a shipment out too so that I don't find myself in your position.

Since I'm assuming you're dealing with PayPal as eBay only deals with INR/SNAD cases I don't think there is any chance of them covering you. They are ultimately going to say they fought hard on your behalf but the CC company sided with the buyer.

Gotta love these types of messages:

Dear Seller,

Do you price match? Bestbuy is selling this same bundle for xxx.xx. Id like to get this through you as ebay uses paypal. I will 100% buy one if you can price match that.
Heres the link to it: [Link Removed]

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]^ Seriously? Are buyers that entitled now? First Best Buy does take PayPal second I"m a f'n eBay seller. I got showered with the "do you price match" when the TouchPad fire sale happened. I picked up a half dozen or so and got tons of messages say "so and so is selling them for $99----will you price match?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]I always block people that ask these questions because if you don't and they make the purchase at the higher price you know there is going to be at least a little resentment and that is going to be taken out on your DSR score[/SIZE]

My first SNAD case ever.

Sold the Terminator anthology Blu-ray (Brand new in shrink wrap) to a buyer who mentioned in his message : "Hi There.I just bought this  Box set and paid immediately in full. Please ship as soon as possible as this is for a gift. Thanks very much."

I shipped it to him with ample bubble wrap and everything.

Item delivered yesterday. A SNAD case has just been opened.

Left this message:
"Hello, I received the set Today. I noticed that on the left side of the boxset; there is a about a 4 inch tear through the factory seal and it also scraped into the cardboard art cover.

The friend I was going to give this to is a serious collector of dvd's especially the ones that are rare and out of print.  (this set isn't OOP, so don't know what he's talking about)

The way the Terminator Anthology boxset arrived would definitely affect the value and collectability of the item.

I know you don't have a return policy. I want to work this out with you.

I suggest at least a half price refund of the purchase price including shipping costs. (Shipping was free..So no idea what shipping cost he wants me refund.) 

This way I can use that money to buy another one before my friends birthday and keep the other one for myself and see if I can fix it to some degree.

Please let me as soon as possible what you would like to do. Thanks"

I call BS.

I think it's just a way to get the movie for half price.

Because I asked him if 

A. He's opened the shrink-wrap...he shouldn't have especially since he's planning to give it as a gift.
B. If he could send me photos.

If photos show the damage, then he's probably not lying and USPS messed up the package.

If he refuses to or makes some excuse why he can't show me the photos, then I know he's lying, and I'll just ask him to send it back for  a full refund.

My question is - Should I just do the partial refund and get it over it?

Because if he's lying and I make him do the return , there's a good chance, I'll get negged. 

P.S- Here's the buyer

I sold an item to KG LOGITECH (ACI Express, Inc.) - who is a known international forwarder. Anyone have experience with them? Google search on them has lots of complaints about them scamming with a lot of INR claims. I didn't see anything about SNAD but that's the one we obviously have a harder time proving/protecting against.

I wonder with all those stories if it's even worth trying to deal with these guys or if I should just cancel and possibly take a neg. Can anyone offer advice on what to do with this?

I sold an item to KG LOGITECH (ACI Express, Inc.) - who is a known international forwarder. Anyone have experience with them? Google search on them has lots of complaints about them scamming with a lot of INR claims. I didn't see anything about SNAD but that's the one we obviously have a harder time proving/protecting against.

I wonder with all those stories if it's even worth trying to deal with these guys or if I should just cancel and possibly take a neg. Can anyone offer advice on what to do with this?
Can't help with SNAD, but for INR claims, if you can prove delivery via DC or SC (for stuff >$250), you should be good.

oh wow now that just makes it very suspicious. I call BS!
Update:

New message : "You have had more than enough time to consider my offer of at least half a refund for the damaged Terminator Anthology. I have not seen any response from you therfore I feel that I have no choice but to leave appropriate feedback an move on."

Meanwhile I got in touch with the resolution team and the Trust and Safety team.

The T&S team said that while they could not disclose details, they were going to take action against the buyer.
They could not tell me what they would do.

The Resolution team, told me that my case would be ready for escalation on Friday, whereupon they'd close the case in my favor,
and remove the negative feedback that I have already received.

"Sells damged [sic] items. Does not work with buyers. No communication. Stay away"

I'm so tempted to reply to him and tell him that he's going to get his very soon...But I've been warned against mentioning anything about
the case or T&S team in the feedback.

Also tempted to reply to the case....but I'm not going to.
I don't want him to realize what's up, and then purposely cut open the movie case, just to be able to post those photos.

Goddamn this scamster. :headache: :headache: :headache:

sendmeyourleftovers

This guy was a trip. He lives in Canada and I only ship to the United States. eBay has that new international service now so he was able to see my item but the shipping was ridiculous. For some reason eBay was charging way too much for shipping when it was a first class item of only 8 ounces.

I looked into shipping to Canada and it's not that bad for First Class items. It's still pretty expensive (like $7 or so) but it was way cheaper than eBay and I didn't have to sign any forms or anything. Just print out the label like usual and stick it on the package.

So I changed the item to allow shipping to Canada and told the buyer that $7 is the lowest price the post office has. I even offered to lower the item cost by $2 to help him out as much as possible.

He sends me a message again asking if it can get any lower....

No (we are only talking about a $10 item with the $7 shipping).

He sends me back this message today:

Okay fag.
Well, that's nice. Always good to add some homophobia on top of your stupidity and obvious lack of reading skills and business sense.

I highly advise you guys to put him on your blocked buyers list. If you look at his page, which I linked to, he leaves a lot of negative feedback too.

sendmeyourleftovers

This guy was a trip. He lives in Canada and I only ship to the United States. eBay has that new international service now so he was able to see my item but the shipping was ridiculous. For some reason eBay was charging way too much for shipping when it was a first class item of only 8 ounces.

I looked into shipping to Canada and it's not that bad for First Class items. It's still pretty expensive (like $7 or so) but it was way cheaper than eBay and I didn't have to sign any forms or anything. Just print out the label like usual and stick it on the package.

So I changed the item to allow shipping to Canada and told the buyer that $7 is the lowest price the post office has. I even offered to lower the item cost by $2 to help him out as much as possible.

He sends me a message again asking if it can get any lower....

No (we are only talking about a $10 item with the $7 shipping).

He sends me back this message today:

Well, that's nice. Always good to add some homophobia on top of your stupidity and obvious lack of reading skills and business sense.

I highly advise you guys to put him on your blocked buyers list. If you look at his page, which I linked to, he leaves a lot of negative feedback too.
report him for his language. eBay takes that stuff more seriously then they do scamming sellers (which he appears to be doing as well)

Blocked. Thanks.

Block my buyer as well.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sea9007&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2050430.m2531.l4585

He's got a good racket running.

Buy movies. Complain.

Get partial refund.

Or give negative.
He's stupid though.

The good ones try to extort and when they don't get their way they move on to the next victim. Leaving negatives/neutrals/low DSR's is just like leaving a paper trail.

If you're not going to give into him then you certainly aren't if he leaves a neg/neutral (unless he says he'll remove it for the refund.... but that is even more obvious extortion).

He's stupid though.

The good ones try to extort and when they don't get their way they move on to the next victim. Leaving negatives/neutrals/low DSR's is just like leaving a paper trail.

If you're not going to give into him then you certainly aren't if he leaves a neg/neutral (unless he says he'll remove it for the refund.... but that is even more obvious extortion).
At first, I was thinking of giving him the refund...Because a partial would be like $15...which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Then I thought, I'd offer to have him send it back for a full refund.

But then I figured..F*ck that. I'm going to teach him something about Karma.

I'm going to go to the mattresses.

So, now I'm going to wait till the neg is expunged and the case closed.

Then I'm going to block him.

And then I'll teach him a lesson.

bread's done
Back