The General eBay Rant Thread

This is really going to be a mess when Nintendo wifi shuts down, I am just going to have to add a lot of disclaimers to every one of my auctions now. Because I am sure someone is going to try to hold me responsible for an online Wii game that no longer works as of May 20th. Apparently eBay is now holding sellers responsible if all non working features of an item are not disclosed even when it is totally beyond the sellers control.

Yes I was aware that this was a feature of the item. However this feature solely depends on whether or not Nintendo decides to hold an event. I cannot help that your little brat was disappointed because he could not download something for an 8 year old game. Besides I wasn't even aware of this whole wonderspot feature. I keep up with these things, and we never had a wonderspot here at toys r us, those were probably only in the TRU locations in the biggest cities. The only event I knew about for the GBA games as I said before was the mew one which was done by link cable.

To my knowledge ebay doesn't have an official statement on non-disclosure of online features of games. If they do, please let me know. So I better just put it in my listings to be safe. I already have so much crap in my listings to try and prevent thieves so I really don't want to add more but it looks like I have to.
I ran into the same problem with MAG. I had it up since before Gamestop clearance it out for $0.99 and forgot it was still online. Someone bought it after the online went down and complained they couldn't play it. Ebays answer was because I used their prefilled details I was responsible for it functioning as the prefilled details stated and advised I uncheck the box so the listing does not contain their details in cases where the online features have been discontinued.

Got an issue. I listed an overpriced video game a few days ago. I relisted this item many, many times, since I got no bites. Finally, someone bids and I am stoked. Until I find out where the buyer is. Saudi Arabia. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Not that I have a problem with Saudi Arabia. But it looks as though eBay's international shipping deal doesn't ship to there. The shipping fees and customs fees are going to be off the charts and the buyer will most definitely want to back out. What should I do? Cancel his bid?

Got an issue. I listed an overpriced video game a few days ago. I relisted this item many, many times, since I got no bites. Finally, someone bids and I am stoked. Until I find out where the buyer is. Saudi Arabia. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Not that I have a problem with Saudi Arabia. But it looks as though eBay's international shipping deal doesn't ship to there. The shipping fees and customs fees are going to be off the charts and the buyer will most definitely want to back out. What should I do? Cancel his bid?
What do you say in your listing? You are the one with total control over your own shipping policy. Do you say international buyers, please wait to pay until I get you the shipping quote? If so, then go get him the quote. If you don't have any kind of international shipping policy of your own outside of maybe using eBay's Global Shipping program, why are you accepting bids from other countries like that? You can block them all out so they can't bid/buy in the first place.

You never know, he could be a wealthy Saudi looking to buy the game knowing he'll have to pay the extravagant price. Find a shipping service to Saudi Arabia, get insurance on the package for yourself, give him the details of the shipping method (you can leave out you're going to insure it), remind him he's accountable for any customs fees or charges, and then tell him the price. If he says yes, invoice him that amount. If he says no, cancel his bid.

If the game is region locked, I'd also remind him or her of that depending what region consoles Saudi Arabia gets (if any?) so he can double check it against what he has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I said internation shipping was allowed, and I said to wait to get a quote before you pay. It's a PS3 game, so region doesn't matter. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Kinda random, but I was interested in an item on eBay that was $55 BIN or Best Offer. I offered $50. He declined it.

What the hell is the purpose of putting Best Offer if you will decline one for $5 less? What, do you want $54? Jeez... some people.

They charged for shipping, I believe, but it would be tacked on after my offer. So after my offer of $50, it would have come to like $56ish. I think the shipping was $6.

Kinda random, but I was interested in an item on eBay that was $55 BIN or Best Offer. I offered $50. He declined it.

What the hell is the purpose of putting Best Offer if you will decline one for $5 less? What, do you want $54? Jeez... some people.
Yeah I had the same issue, guy had a cart only copy of a Game Boy game listed at BIN OBO for $10, I offered $8 and $9, and it auto declined both times. Goes back to the earlier discussion where this whole Best Offer business just wastes time for everyone.

I pretty much got rid of Best Offer due to low balling (but now I get people just sending me low ball offers via message), however my friend still swears by it. He says that with Best Offer it give him a chance to still sell an item if he prices it a little too high or if the price went down since he listed it. Someone sends him an offer for a few dollars less and he looks it up to see what the price it is selling for is and accepts based on that. Could be the same thing they looked up to see if they still thought they could get $55 for it, decided they could and declined the offer.

There are times when I sent people offers waaay lower than they have it listed, but only if they list the price way above value.

Like, if I'm looking for a game I always check the last 10-20 of the same condition sold of that item and pick the average and send that. If the average is, say, $50, but the guy lists the item for $150 then it will seem like a low ball offer, but in reality the seller is just being a jackass or setting his price way above what he'll probably get for it.

There are times when I sent people offers waaay lower than they have it listed, but only if they list the price way above value.

Like, if I'm looking for a game I always check the last 10-20 of the same condition sold of that item and pick the average and send that. If the average is, say, $50, but the guy lists the item for $150 then it will seem like a low ball offer, but in reality the seller is just being a jackass or setting his price way above what he'll probably get for it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were lowballing or anything as that is not the case. I was just saying I removed Best Offer because I would have something for say $30 and receive offers for $1 with messages saying "inc shipping all it is worth" (dead serious unfortunately).

What I was trying to get at is even though $50 was likely a fair offer there is not a ton of profit in games, and if they feel like they can get that extra $5 that very well may be important to them. While $5 off one item is not a big deal, if you took $5 off 10 items that is like giving away a whole other $50 item.

I didn't think you were saying that, I was just adding.

That's fine if the $5 adds up, but don't put a Best Offer in your listing then. Just wastes everyone's time. That gives the implication to the buyer that they are comfortable with accepting less money, but if $5 less is too much, why even bother? All I'm saying.

There are times I get multiple offers, and I would cancel the lowest ones. At times, it'd be less than $5 less than BIN. Then sometimes I leave it for a bit to see if I get a higher offer before accepting. I don't see why that's bad practice. eBay gives me 48 hours to decide, so I'm going to make use of it. It's not like the person making the offer can't cancel if they don't want to wait.

Ordered a CE a few days ago from eBay and after the Amazon and Bravely Default thing, I've been paranoid about shipping, and just to make sure it was being shipped securely. I asked if they would be shipping it in a box. They responded an hour ago and said "No, sorry, in a bubble mailer." Reputable seller, but this has potential to be a problem. I bit my lip and paid a little bit of a markup, but if I get a crushed item, it's getting returned, even though the listing has no refundsstated. I hate to be one of those people, but c'mon. Don't think I'm being out of line. The seller is responsible for shipping securely. I always OCD ship items to prevent damage.

I won't pay until the seller has agreed to ship an item the way I want it shipped. If they won't, then fuck them and they can cancel it. I hole myself to the same standards when I sell.

I've written up a default thing asking sellers to ship things in a way that they won't get crushed, and I always add that as a message to the seller in the options before I pay. I find it ridiculous I have to do that, but it seems like a lot of sellers don't think about how packages end up on the other side.

I rarely sell stuff on eBay (probably 6-10 listings a year) but every fucking time there is a problem. The most common issue for me is buyers who never pay. It's the most annoying thing in the world. I can always tell when it's going to happen too. They'll be online to bid right as the auction ends and they don't immediately pay. Number one sign that person has zero intent of ever giving you the money.

If you have buyers remorse or some shit, fine, but message me saying sorry or something and that you wont be able to pay. Don't ignore my messages while buying up all kinds of shit and paying for said shit over the following 3-5 days. Now I get to wait another week for eBay to credit me back so I can re-list. It's such a waste of time.

Non-paying bidders are the worst, and ebay doesn't seem to care to do much about it. Honestly after one non-payment your account should be put on hold or something, there is no reason that a buyer should not be paying for what they are buying.

There are other problems too, some items decrease in value very fast, if I am selling one of these items, and the buyer does not pay, the item may devalue quite some by the time I am able to relist it and wait a week for the auction to end.

The worst is when some buyer bids your item up to astronomical levels, and then doesn't pay. I have no idea why people do this, but it wastes my time and money and everyone else's, including the time of my legitimate customers. I actually had it happen to me once, but I was online at the time and I was able to catch it, cancel the bids, and block the bidder. Really someone who bids up a game with an average value of $15 to over $200 is not going to pay...

They do it because they are either immature morons, kids goofing around, or someone isn't sure on whether or not they want the item, so they buy it to secure it knowing if they decide against it later, nothing will happen to their account.

One time I had one user buy 3 of my items, not pay. I got a message from them 2 days later with horrible grammar saying "Hi, my stupid friend went on ebay and bid on a bunch of items when I was in the bathroom. I don't want these, sorry"

BIN and require immediate payment. All of life's troubles float away.
One would think.

I had sold a blu ray with BIN and immediate payment. Later that night, the person messages me and said their kid bought it on accident. I go and look at their bidding history only to see that they won an auction for the same movie after purchasing mine. I think the bid was placed prior to, but didn't close until after it was purchased from me.

Needless to say, I had to refund the jerkoff because they couldn't manage their bids/purchases.

I've written up a default thing asking sellers to ship things in a way that they won't get crushed, and I always add that as a message to the seller in the options before I pay. I find it ridiculous I have to do that, but it seems like a lot of sellers don't think about how packages end up on the other side.
Even major stores like Best Buy and Amazon don't even know how to ship items properly. I have gotten games crushed over the years and from the last Microsoft store sale, 2 out of the 3 games I ordered had broken cases.

It used to be a bubble mailer was good enough for anything in a DVD type case but now with those stupid eco friendly cases, I still use a bubble mailer but also wrap the game in bubble wrap and put cardboard layers above and below the game. I use boxes for the few times I sell a non cart only GBA game or a Gamecube game since the spindle is so weak and I'm worried about the disc falling off the spindle during shipping.

Ordered a CE a few days ago from eBay and after the Amazon and Bravely Default thing, I've been paranoid about shipping, and just to make sure it was being shipped securely. I asked if they would be shipping it in a box. They responded an hour ago and said "No, sorry, in a bubble mailer." Reputable seller, but this has potential to be a problem. I bit my lip and paid a little bit of a markup, but if I get a crushed item, it's getting returned, even though the listing has no refundsstated. I hate to be one of those people, but c'mon. Don't think I'm being out of line. The seller is responsible for shipping securely. I always OCD ship items to prevent damage.
That's strange they wouldn't use a box since it's likely too heavy for First Class anyway so they could get a free Priority Box from the Post Office. If I was selling anything like a collector's edition, there is no way I'd ship it in a bubble mailer.

They do it because they are either immature morons, kids goofing around, or someone isn't sure on whether or not they want the item, so they buy it to secure it knowing if they decide against it later, nothing will happen to their account.

One time I had one user buy 3 of my items, not pay. I got a message from them 2 days later with horrible grammar saying "Hi, my stupid friend went on ebay and bid on a bunch of items when I was in the bathroom. I don't want these, sorry"

One of the reasons there may be fake bidding/inflation is from a competitive seller. I've seen it happen to me before. The same person that was selling a similar item of mine had a BIN and was using the same account to bid up my auction to above his BIN amount. Not surprisingly, his item was sold soon after his price was surpassed.

To mitigate the problem, you're allowed to actually submit a "second chance" auction offer to the second highest bidder immediately. Although it rarely comes through since in my experience the non winning buyer will simply move on, there's a chance that you end up coming out ahead since the inflated bidding will end up netting you the second highest bidder's maximum bid.

All of this is part of the "seller wars" that I despise. On a related note, if you suspect a person is creating an account to artificiallly bid up his selling price, you can report it since shill bidding is a serious violation of TOS to eBay.

Had a lot of sellers giving me attitudes the last few days all regarding the Best Offer system. I don't think people grasp the concept of it. If you don't want to sell a game lower than your listed price then don't include Best Offer in your listing. Is it that hard? Sweet Maria...

Sent other sellers offers for some games. One I sent two offers: one $15 less than the BIN, then the next $10 less. Both declined. So I sent him a message asking how much he wants. He said "I think it's obvious how much I want. I want how much I listed it for." Then why have Best Offer, you jackass? I try to be civil because I don't want to be reported for being rude, but I was that close to ripping the dude a new one.

I find BiN to be annoying. For me, eBay is a place to get great stuff dirt cheap and sell my stuff for way more than it is worth. So I need low auction-style listings when I buy and rich and/or stupid people around when I sell. So it makes me very angry when people list their stuff for an enormous amount. eBay making seller fees equal for auctions and BiNs was a horrible mistake and now the buyers are paying for it. I never use BiN. I always do auction with high starting prices.

While a 90 day return policy does scare me, according to eBay I sold 506 items in the last 30 days which IMO is a fair amount. Do you want to know how many returned due to not liking it, beating it already, etc.? Zero, zip, none. In fact in everything I ever sold on eBay it has happened ONCE. Now I don't know if that is just luck (though I sure do attract plenty of crazies more on that later) or if eBay buyers just don't return as much. I hope it is the latter and not just luck as that will suck come the holidays.

As for my latest story of crazies I sold a game on Friday afternoon, shipped it Friday afternoon and shows "Delivered" yesterday. Now today the buyer messages me the following "i have not received my item!!!!!!!!! the tracking says it is delivered i have nothing!!!!! what the f*** scamming business are you running i want a full refund and pay pall me $40$ or i will leave you neg a 0 dsr and all my friends will too and you will be off ebay and out of business!!!!!"

Crazy? Or just fucking crazy?
I am certain I have better things to be doing with my time, but I want to hear how this turned out.

BIN and require immediate payment. All of life's troubles float away.
I don't like doing BIN because I feel like I'm potentially losing out on money. I'd rather just start an item at what I'd like to get, and if people want to bid higher, great.

Anyways, the guy wound up paying, a week after purchase. Ebay automatically opened an unpaid case and was ready to refund me tomorrow when all of a sudden he paid this morning. Guess he had to wait until he got paid or something. In any case, a simple message would've been nice instead of ignoring my invoices and messages. Oh well.

That's strange they wouldn't use a box since it's likely too heavy for First Class anyway so they could get a free Priority Box from the Post Office. If I was selling anything like a collector's edition, there is no way I'd ship it in a bubble mailer.
Sold one about a week or so ago, and one yesterday, and you would think, but at the same time, the bravely default CE is such odd dimensions that it wouldn't fit in the small, the only medium it really fits in is one of the odd dimension ones. But the thing is, that requires a bump in shipping of about $5 over the flat rate padded envelope. I can see why a seller MIGHT do that. But I certainly would rather eat the extra $5 in shipping than have it arrive damaged and open a whole new can of worms.
I make it a point to always ship in the safest method possible. But it certainly is not always the cheapest.

I don't like doing BIN because I feel like I'm potentially losing out on money. I'd rather just start an item at what I'd like to get, and if people want to bid higher, great.
Unless the game / item is rare, you will most always get more from BIN than from auction. Even if you start the auction at your intended buy price, it is unlikely it will be bid for over that amount.

Generally, there are two kinds of people who shop on eBay: Those who like to buy without waiting, and those who will stalk the listings and search for the lowest auction price, hoping to get lucky. You find more often than not people will buy faster and for more money by searching the cheapest Buy it Now price, rather than searching Auction listings, highest price to lowest.

Also as stated, requiring immediate payment just makes it all that much more enticing to just to BIN. Plus I think it is a pain to have to keep relisting items every 7 days, rather than just once a month. If someone searches the recently completed listings, and see that yours didn't sell for the past few cycles, they may be less interested in buying your relisted auctions.

I used to do that but I find it's easier to use BIN and price a bit higher than what I want, then revise the price if its not moving, while not dropping below my minimum sell point. I think buyers like BIN because you don't have to play sniping games or wait until a certain day and hour for it to close.

Is it normal for PayPal to hold refunds? I had one issued to me from a ebay seller and paypal is holding my funds hostage for some reason. I paid using my PayPal balance so I'm not sure whats the reason for the delay, its been over 5 days already.

I noticed that ebay isn't just enabling Best Offer when you relist an item, but it has been doing that for anything new I list now with fixed price.

ebay forcing Best Offer down our throats is right. My goodness. You can easily disable it, but still annoying.

Is it normal for PayPal to hold refunds? I had one issued to me from a ebay seller and paypal is holding my funds hostage for some reason. I paid using my PayPal balance so I'm not sure whats the reason for the delay, its been over 5 days already.
The seller could have taken the money out of their account so they have to a transfer from their bank account to their Paypal account which can take a few days.

Just a heads up to any of you sellers that received one of the $10.00 off any purchase coupons. They're not working for everybody.

The coupon shows up on my account, shows the discount on the item listing page but it doesn't work when entered at checkout. An error message shows there isn't a balance on the coupon code. A call to customer service resulted in me being told that it is a known problem and it would be fixed within two hours. 

7 hours later and the problem still isn't resolved and upon calling customer service a second time I was told it is a known issue and the reason is they currently don't have funds to cover the coupon. I was told the problem should be resolved within 24 hours but I'm not holding my breathe. 

Figured I would post up this info for those of you that were going to make a purchase just to use the coupon like I did.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Checkout/Has-anyone-had-problems-redeeming-their-10-coupon-code-recently/m-p/19997560#U19997560

Just a heads up to any of you sellers that received one of the $10.00 off any purchase coupons. They're not working for everybody.

The coupon shows up on my account, shows the discount on the item listing page but it doesn't work when entered at checkout. An error message shows there isn't a balance on the coupon code. A call to customer service resulted in me being told that it is a known problem and it would be fixed within two hours.

7 hours later and the problem still isn't resolved and upon calling customer service a second time I was told it is a known issue and the reason is they currently don't have funds to cover the coupon. I was told the problem should be resolved within 24 hours but I'm not holding my breathe.

Figured I would post up this info for those of you that were going to make a purchase just to use the coupon like I did.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Checkout/Has-anyone-had-problems-redeeming-their-10-coupon-code-recently/m-p/19997560#U19997560
Same deal for me, but the rep told me 2-3 days they would fix the issue (which would put it at about today or tomorrow, so we shall see).

I have no idea what to do. eBay just restricted my account and won't allow me to sell anything. They said that my feedback on communication and shipping times didn't meet the standards of their evaluation. Only thing is 4 people (out of 107 of my ratings) said items didn't arrive on time and communication wasn't that great. Now I'm screwed and have to sell on Amazon (not too bad but the 2 week wait for funds is horrible).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, i tried to go on my other account that I barely use and that account (in association with my main account) was also restricted. If I can just open another account it would be great but afraid it too will be restricted.

I have no idea what to do. eBay just restricted my account and won't allow me to sell anything. They said that my feedback on communication and shipping times didn't meet the standards of their evaluation. Only thing is 4 people (out of 107 of my ratings) said items didn't arrive on time and communication wasn't that great. Now I'm screwed and have to sell on Amazon (not too bad but the 2 week wait for funds is horrible).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i tried to go on my other account that I barely use and that account (in association with my main account) was also restricted. If I can just open another account it would be great but afraid it too will be restricted.

Is your restriction temporary or permanent? Sorry to hear. Your DSR score is low enough to trigger the restriction. I don't read up on the ebay stories but 4 out of 100 doesn't seem like something that warrants a severe, permanent restriction. eBay has been raising the standards for sellers now so it's just something you have to keep up with unfortunately.

eBay's algorithms are most likely smart enough to detect whenever you open a new account so those would be restricted anyway. I think the only way to circumvent it is to open up a new account with totally new personal info on a computer you've never logged into any of your eBay accounts previously before (I believe they track by IP address as well). If you sell on a new account, they have temporary restrictions on them (I think 90 days?) that would similarly freeze your funds for 2 weeks.

It is a permanent ban. I called CS and was told I am banned forever. I asked why there was no warning despite having great feedback and she said it was too late to contact me about it... 

I did make a new account (on the same computer though) under a different email and address. I used the same PayPal though. It's going to suck having to actually wait for my funds (before my funds would come automatically into PayPal) but oh well. 

If they do close this new account I'll just stick to Amazon selling.

This really ruins my funds but I guess I'll deal with it. Assuming this new account stays open, I'm going to print and ship the same day (usually I print the night before I ship), communicate with every buyer about shipping dates / confirmations and maybe have a return policy. eBay sucks for this but they are the easiest way for me to make money and fastest. Hopefully I will learn to sell more on Amazon (and you can't upgrade to faster payments on Amazon) and can use that as my permanent selling place.

Just use one of your friend's accounts to sell, and never login to their account from your computer/house.

If you used the same Paypal, it's gone. ebay is a horrible company. Just absolutely horrible. My friend went through this over something so petty and once his account was restricted they treated him like total shit. A CS rep on the phone literally said "I'm not talking to you about this anymore" and hung up on him. Once your account is restricted I've found out through research and talking to an ex-ebay employee that you are basically blacklisted and CS reps are trained to not even treat you with the same courtesy as anyone else. You are basically of slave level importance after that.

ebay tracks your IP, cache/cookies, SS#(if you use it via Paypal), all personal info, email, Paypal, password, log-in names, etc. Like if your name was BigJohn1 and made a name BigJohn115 and sell similar items, you'd probably be banned even if the registration info was different.

I think it's a joke that once you're gone, you're gone. Like forever, over something so small. Now, I do doubt that it is actually forever. Like if in 2024 you registered with information that was banned today, somehow I doubt over a decade you would be tracked and banned again, but yes it's a horrible company, and I wish nothing but ill will on it and have been hoping for its demise for years even though I use it to make money. Another auction site would come along and take its place.

You should call ebay and tell them. "If I can't sell on ebay , I'm not going to buy anything on ebay either." They listen to shit like this because they suck the customers (buyers) ass. Even though a seller is also an ebay customer.

I sold a ps2 sliver console, and the buyer said it wouldn't read discs or memory cards. After it was returned, I tested it again and it all worked fine. Probably a buyer that found a better deal or though they over paid.

Does anyone know the physical address for the USPS Sort Facility in DENVER, CO 80217? I'm trying to get a package that's stuck there moving again.

bread's done
Back