The General eBay Rant Thread

Ugh seriously. Sold a Lifeproof iPhone case and the buyer messaged me saying that she tested it in water and water got in it, and she called Lifeproof and they told her it was a fake. Pretty sure she's trying to scam me.

Here's the interesting part, she already gave me positive feedback right after I shipped it saying "fast shipping."

What's the best thing to do here? Can she change her feedback? Debating if I should just refund her now or ask her to ship it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh seriously. Sold a Lifeproof iPhone case and the buyer messaged me saying that she tested it in water and water got in it, and she called Lifeproof and they told her it was a fake. Pretty sure she's trying to scam me.

Here's the interesting part, she already gave me positive feedback right after I shipped it saying "fast shipping."

What's the best thing to do here? Can she change her feedback?
No she can't alter her feedback--she could leave follow up feedback though. She can still open a case which would count as defect and a buyer claiming an item is "counterfeit" used to be the "kiss of death" for sellers. Do you at least have a receipt showing you purchased it from a retailer?

No she can't alter her feedback--she could leave follow up feedback though. She can still open a case which would count as defect and a buyer claiming an item is "counterfeit" used to be the "kiss of death" for sellers. Do you at least have a receipt showing you purchased it from a retailer?
The iphone case was already opened when I sold it( never used though ). I have no receipt.

she has not opened up a resolution case yet

The iphone case was already opened when I sold it( never used though ). I have no receipt.

she has not opened up a resolution case yet
So what you're saying is that you don't know it is authentic? I see them opened all the time at target, but my assumption is that someone bought one at target and bought a cheap knockoff to return in the LifeProof packaging.

I sold a 3DS that was missing the stylus. I put in the listing description that I would include a DS stylus. I mailed it yesterday, and just remembered a couple hours ago that I forgot about the stylus. I'll wait to see if they say anything about it. If they do, I'll just 2-day 'em a pack of $3 ones from Amazon. I can't believe I forgot about it.

I sold a 3DS that was missing the stylus. I put in the listing description that I would include a DS stylus. I mailed it yesterday, and just remembered a couple hours ago that I forgot about the stylus. I'll wait to see if they say anything about it. If they do, I'll just 2-day 'em a pack of $3 ones from Amazon. I can't believe I forgot about it.
As a curtesey, you really should just 2 day them a pack of $3 ones.

I got an email saying my one of my DLC listing violated their policy, but the buyer has already paid for the code. Has anyone been in this situation know if ebay will take the money back?

I got an email saying my one of my DLC listing violated their policy, but the buyer has already paid for the code. Has anyone been in this situation know if ebay will take the money back?
I've only listed one DLC code on eBay and it sold really quick but eBay then said it violated their policy. I really thought I did everything right, but I guess not.

Nothing really came out of it though. The guy already paid before eBay cancelled it. We weren't able to leave feedback for each other but I was able to keep the money in the end.

Although, I believe in the email it says the buyer can cancel the whole transaction and if they do that - I think you're screwed. Luckily, my buyer did not.

I've only listed one DLC code on eBay and it sold really quick but eBay then said it violated their policy. I really thought I did everything right, but I guess not.

Nothing really came out of it though. The guy already paid before eBay cancelled it. We weren't able to leave feedback for each other but I was able to keep the money in the end.

Although, I believe in the email it says the buyer can cancel the whole transaction and if they do that - I think you're screwed. Luckily, my buyer did not.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can sell the physical DLC card the code is printed on, but you can't just sell the code and email, correct?

I personally avoid DLC due to the stories I've heard but I sold some inFamous Demo codes way back when they were selling for ~$20 way way back.

So what you're saying is that you don't know it is authentic? I see them opened all the time at target, but my assumption is that someone bought one at target and bought a cheap knockoff to return in the LifeProof packaging.
Just got it back and I'm pretty sure it's authentic. Looked at YouTube for some comparison videos and the packaging is the same as the real one, and the actual case isn't flimsy like the fake one. I'll probably sell it on Craigslist instead.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can sell the physical DLC card the code is printed on, but you can't just sell the code and email, correct?

I personally avoid DLC due to the stories I've heard but I sold some inFamous Demo codes way back when they were selling for ~$20 way way back.
Don't think you can sell the DLC code even on a physical paper, unless you're an authorized dealer, or you own the content (as in self-published ebook).

Sold a couple game inserts that fit in a regular sized envelope and figured I'd take a gamble just this one time and just use a coupe stamps and drop it in a mailbox instead of getting tracking, because I only sold it for $5.99 with free shipping, so paying for shipping/tracking would kill the whole thing and I'd practically make nothing. So I mailed it out.

Low and behold "Item not received" case opened today. One item shipped with no tracking in 100 sales, and of course this one has an issue. Seller has 250 positives, so I had less hesitation than if it was a 0 feedback seller.

They asked for tracking and if not, then 50% off refund.
So let me get this straight... The guys is blackballing you? These days I don't know which way eBay would sway, but why would somebody ask for half a refund and then claim they never got it.

Question about global shipping program. I've used it a few times with never any problems, but someone bought something bigger than usual with it.

How did it come to calculate the shipping it charged the person. The person is paying about 60 or 65 dollars in import/shipping charges to Spain, but I wonder how it got that number? I never put a weight or package size in the auction. Just said custom weight - 0 lbs, 0 oz and irregular shape.

I would thik that heavy things would start killing the international shipping program - or maybe they take that into consideration when they set it up. I know there is a limit on the actual size of the box though.

So I buy Disney Infinity Starter Packs from a Target that have been either boxes crushed in shipping, or damaged on the sales floor. A lot of them are torn open and the Power Discs stolen, and sometimes they steal the game discs. So when I receive them I check all the contents, open the game to make sure the disc wasn't stolen and replace any missing contents. I list them as New - Open Box and describe the boxes are damaged/open but the game hasn't been played and the figures are new (though I am not sure if that matters like it did with Skylanders. I checked and I have previously sold 89 of them, only one of them with an issue and that was a portal that wouldn't read characters on one of the places.

So now the 90th one I bought the buyer sends me the following message today:
"Wow! I can't believe you have this listed as Brand New? Good Condition---Used would be correct. Display-used.... This is just wrong here. Your words and your listing are not straight forward.

You can either lower the price 20.00 or have it back. This is what similar units are selling at."

I responded to this message as courteously as possible explaining I described its exact condition, open box and but new/unplayed, and told him used sets go for $5 less than the price he purchased it at and the ones he is seeing for $20 less are missing pieces (one I was missing the game disc the other the Starter World Piece). I told him while I assured him the set was new I would offer him a $5 partial refund for the perceived difference in condition.

So then he responds "WOW - what a lying jack@$$ you are...you can have the f#cking thing back better believe you pay return shipping or you will be sorry"

So after that very thinly veiled threat I called eBay to report him and ask their opinion on the best way to proceed and believe it or not they told me that they did not see anything wrong with the buyer's messages and there was no inference of feedback extortion. Then they told me my best course of action was to request the buyer to open a SNAD case and then escalate to eBay Customer Service.

I asked them if that meant they would rule in my favor if the case was escalated to eBay and they told me they don't make that determination and another department decides cases so they could not tell me for sure how the case would be decided. I asked why I would escalate the case then if I did not have a guarantee it would not count against me and all they told me is "that is how these cases are supposed to be handled."

Of course, while I was on the phone the buyer had already opened a case so I just told them to return for a full refund to be done with it and at least with the new defect system even if they do leave negative feedback it doesn't count due to the case already having been open and I get the small victory of them having to pay return shipping.

I also looked through their feedback and it appears they have done the extort for partial refund scheme at least 30 times in the last year. And my Blocked Bidder List grows by one more unhinged buyer!

tl;dr - eBay buyers suck and are crazy

Also I am now up to 11 chargebacks/bank returns since they announced eBay passwords being compromised! Gotta love everyone trying to take advantage of the situation and get shit for free! Because of course the average hacker will steal your password and buy games and SHIP THEM TO YOUR HOUSE because hackers are nice like that. Luckily so far I have won 4/4 that have been decided.

It has not been a fun week on eBay, sorry all for the venting.

I also looked through their feedback and it appears they have done the extort for partial refund scheme at least 30 times in the last year. And my Blocked Bidder List grows by one more unhinged buyer!

tl;dr - eBay buyers suck and are crazy

Also I am now up to 11 chargebacks/bank returns since they announced eBay passwords being compromised! Gotta love everyone trying to take advantage of the situation and get shit for free! Because of course the average hacker will steal your password and buy games and SHIP THEM TO YOUR HOUSE because hackers are nice like that. Luckily so far I have won 4/4 that have been decided.

It has not been a fun week on eBay, sorry all for the venting.
I had an issue like that, and ranted my head off at eBay and finally got someone with half a brain to see that the buyer had a pattern of doing this over and over again.

If you can see he's done this before, I'd highly recommend bringing it to eBay's attention. Call again and again till you get someone willing to be on your side. Once you find such an agent, he/she can very easily escalate it to fraud prevention. His account will be looked at closely and possibly limited.

I have over 50 brand new limited edition movies that I want to sell...but because of this password scenario, I've been hesitant.

So..in your case, you've not lost money in a single chargeback? Excellent news!

I had an issue like that, and ranted my head off at eBay and finally got someone with half a brain to see that the buyer had a pattern of doing this over and over again.
If you can see he's done this before, I'd highly recommend bringing it to eBay's attention. Call again and again till you get someone willing to be on your side. Once you find such an agent, he/she can very easily escalate it to fraud prevention. His account will be looked at closely and possibly limited.

I have over 50 brand new limited edition movies that I want to sell...but because of this password scenario, I've been hesitant.
So..in your case, you've not lost money in a single chargeback? Excellent news!
Oh I have fought with eBay so many times over unhinged buyers. I normally only put enough time into it for whatever the item cost - no sense spending hours on the phone for a $10 item in my eyes. Items like this that are somewhat expensive it is worth an hour or so on the phone with eBay to try and resolve, otherwise just have the return and hope for the best. I have had unhinged buyers smash items before returning when I declined attempts to extort partial refunds.

And yes so far I have not lost money on a single one, though there are still 7 more to go. Supposedly if you ship to the listed address using eBay/Paypal shipping with tracking you are covered against chargebacks. I did have one I lost in December where I did everything right, and Paypal had the stones to charge me another (IIRC) $25 "Chargeback Mediation Fee". I called and asked why they ruled against me even though I was Seller Protection Eligible which is supposed to prevent you from losing chargebacks and they could not tell me why and could not connect me to someone who could. Clearly I do not have the best results with eBay/Paypal customer service.

When I list something now that has a defect or something off about the overall contents, I make sure I use huge lettering, bold, underlined, and list it twice at the beginning an end. Just to make sure it jumps off the page. Can't tell you how many sellers don't read. They click the listing link and then hit Buy it Now. That's it. Well, even if you do that, your eyes will gravitate toward huge bold letters and will read it.

Never let a buyer bully you, though. Don't pay return shipping. Take the ebay hit if you have to.

This "password hack" is costing ebay millions upon millions. Their earnings are going to be hurting.  They are going to be dealing with this for a few years.

Good, I hope it hurts them a lot. Arrogant jackasses and a horrible company. If there was another auction site as frequented, I would leave ebay in a heartbeat.

is like 90% of seller from china now?

1. where is the rss feature. i want to spread my sales but i have like 13 views and cant find a way to advertise. some times ask for a fee to advertise o nthe forum.... basically just spamming twitter//facebook.

2. how can i tell if the buyers have paid for the shipping? it tell me when i get paid for the item itself but i feel like i have to pay out of my pocket to pay for the postal..

3. still working on the claim i had, the case is still open and the guy hasn't responded. i might call Ebay for assistance but they will just blame me for shipping the item out first.. (i tried to intercept it but usps failed). why hasn't Ebay attempted to help (force him to pay!)

is like 90% of seller from china now?

1. where is the rss feature. i want to spread my sales but i have like 13 views and cant find a way to advertise. some times ask for a fee to advertise o nthe forum.... basically just spamming twitter//facebook.

2. how can i tell if the buyers have paid for the shipping? it tell me when i get paid for the item itself but i feel like i have to pay out of my pocket to pay for the postal..

3. still working on the claim i had, the case is still open and the guy hasn't responded. i might call Ebay for assistance but they will just blame me for shipping the item out first.. (i tried to intercept it but usps failed). why hasn't Ebay attempted to help (force him to pay!)
You can't pay for the item without paying for the shipping... it doesn't let you make a partial payment. If you had shipping charges set up on the listing, it will all be paid at once.

Also, eBay has no way to force anyone to pay you, they can give him an unpaid item strike but that's it. I don't know why in the world you would consider shipping something you hadn't been paid for. Ebay will blame you because its your fault. Nothing they can do about that.

I will say, I am insanely tired of eBay resetting my settings, likely when they do an update. I found today that I was put back in the global shipping program, for the third time after opting out multiple times. For a pretty expensive item too of course. Only Canada on this item but still. I also found my global block was again removed. Very, very frustrating.

I was wondering why some of you guys opt out of the global shipping program? I've probably done 30 or so transactions so far and haven't had a problem with it yet. Some things were cheap some were expensive, but I haven't had an issue yet.

I guess I better not jinx myself. I haven't had any issues with eBay buyers in a long long long time.

I mainly just like to keep things simple. I choose not to ship to non continental US either, just due to cost, but today someone in the Virgin Islands won one of my auctions... rather than fight it I think I'll just ship, it will only cost a couple of dollars extra... not worth the fight and I can use the funds, I'm trying to save for a big purchase.

They reset my settings a lot too.

Also, it seems to have weird bugs now. I listed a game the other day and it had default quantity of 20. I was like what the hell is this? Don't think I ever listed something than a quantity higher than 10.

I recently started having problems with uploading images sometimes. I'll have to go in an reupload them. I'm not sure if it is my FireFox or something else I have causing problems - but it never happened until about two weeks ago. It is a small inconvenience but annoying.

The weird this about it is I thought eBay forced you to have an image to list something, but then it lets me post it with "no image" and on the listing it says the seller has not uploaded an image.

Had a buyer buy an item from me today.

0 feedback.

Under address it says "Null" a bunch of times, but it was a confirmed address under Paypal. What the hell is this BS?

I was wondering why some of you guys opt out of the global shipping program? I've probably done 30 or so transactions so far and haven't had a problem with it yet. Some things were cheap some were expensive, but I haven't had an issue yet.

I guess I better not jinx myself. I haven't had any issues with eBay buyers in a long long long time.
I opted out because I heard from others that the processing center isn't that careful with reshipping the items such as them cramming an item to fit inside the packaging. I'm hesitant to sell something that could get damaged easily like a GBA game that they might just toss in a bubble mailer and then the buyer gets a crushed box and opens a not as described dispute. The other reason I opted out is because I don't trust buyers to realize if a game is region protected or not (or if the console the game is for is region protected) and I have seen other sellers get negatives saying the game didn't work because of that.

The address says this "_UAES_NULL_ "

anyone know what that means? I don't even think the post office will accept it. Think it's a buyer scammer?

I've had null pop up a bunch of times and usually I just cross through it neatly with a pen.

It will be like

John Smith

123 Main St.

null

Boston, MA

I've never had a problem with that before.

One thing that I annoyed me the other day was someone bought a game. He asked me just to add unit #30 to his address because he forgot to put that. Not changing the street, name or anything else - just the unit #

So everytime I tried to put unit #30 it would changer to TRLR which stands for trailer. I eventually just printed it  and crossed off TRLR and put unit 30.

I just noticed this thread and I have a few questions.

1. I sold an overpriced item on eBay and it was disc-only. I put the listing as Very Good. A few days ago I got a case opened with an item not as described. The buyer said that the auction should have had them complete. The buyer did not think to ask if the item was complete until a day before the item was delivered. The buyer knows it is available for much cheaper now and wants a refund. I said no, of course, and offered to get the stuff needed for a complete copy and ship it to the buyer. The buyer refused and still demanded a refund. So what should I do?

2. Do I have seller protection for an item that I ship internationally that is not apart of the Global Shipping thing? I am planning to ship a game to Brazil.

1. I sold an overpriced item on eBay and it was disc-only. I put the listing as Very Good. A few days ago I got a case opened with an item not as described. The buyer said that the auction should have had them complete. The buyer did not think to ask if the item was complete until a day before the item was delivered. The buyer knows it is available for much cheaper now and wants a refund. I said no, of course, and offered to get the stuff needed for a complete copy and ship it to the buyer. The buyer refused and still demanded a refund. So what should I do?

2. Do I have seller protection for an item that I ship internationally that is not apart of the Global Shipping thing? I am planning to ship a game to Brazil.
1 - he will win the case because you had it marked as very good, which under ebay's preset description describes the item as including case and manuals. Unfortunately, you'll probably just have to end up refunding him. What I like to do in the case of a disc only game is mark it as acceptable, but put "Great Condition" or something like that in the title.

2 - as long as you ship it with a tracking number (international priority) you should be good. It's pretty expensive, so let the buyer know that's the only way you'll ship it. Because if not and you just send it international first class, all they have to do is say item never received and you're screwed. Trust me, I've learned the hard way haha.

These answers are to the best of my knowledge, so maybe others will have different insights.

Did you not mention it was disc only in the description you can write in or the picture?

If you didn't, that's 100% on you. Very Good is not appropriate for disc only by eBay's rules. It doesn't really matter if or when he decided to ask if it was complete. And he doesn't have to accept your offer to make it right by finding him a box and manual. Especially because that opens a whole new bag of worms depending on what the condition of those are or if they get damaged in transit to him. You can either just give him a full refund or if you want it back, pay for his return shipping to you. Otherwise he's going to win against you in a case and get his money back and keep the disc and you'll have a mark on your record.

If it was very clear it was disc only and you used Very Good anyway, then yeah, maybe the buyer is trying to pull a fast one for whatever reason.

So eBay emails me saying I violated their policy by listing a DLC code for sale.  The item in question was already sold a week ago and the buyer has already paid and received their item.  Yet eBay emails me a week later with this violation (for the completed transaction) and says its a violation to sell DLC codes they refund the buyer back and the buyer already has the code.  What a bunch of BS especially targeting a completed listing when there are thousands of DLC codes actively being listed on eBay.  What a terrible company!  Wish there was a comparable auction site so eBay can suck it!

I think we can all agree eBay sucks!  

I would double check on that refund. This has happened to me numerous times and I've never had the money taken out of my account before.

And they are not targeting you. It's a competitive seller that is reporting you. I just report them back to teach them a lesson.

No, I know for a 100% fact that eBay does target you. Why else would they arbitrarily say "we're not targeting you"?

It's like a police officer pulling me over, asking for my license and registration, and me going "Officer, I just want to tell you I don't have any cocaine in my trunk"

Immediately, red flags would go up.

Sometimes other sellers report you, but ebay does target and monitor you. That I know as an absolute fact. They also monitor your "private" messages to see if you are messaging people DLC if you've had violations in the past.

Yes, it looks like everyone was right. The buyer escalated the case and now eBay is forcing me to refund the buyer. They are making the buyer ship back the game, though. On the Case Details page, it says that I can refund the buyer immediately and that if I do, I will not be considered at fault. If I do not refund them now, and eBay does after I receive the item, what kind of fault will I be under? What will happen to my account?

I'm not sure what the fault thing is about, honestly. But I'd say your best thing to do is wait for him to ship it back and once you receive it just send him the refund right away. Just don't refund him before the item is returned haha.

On a side note, I have a little story that just happened the other day. I shipped someone a board game a few weeks ago and they ended up opening an INR case. So I checked the tracking info and it said it was delivered on 5/27. They didn't open the case until about a week later, which I thought was kind of odd. So I messaged them back and basically said, sorry it happened blah blah, I'm not sure what could've happened but your best bet is to check with your local post office. So after sending, they message me back like 15 minutes later and simply ask, can I get a refund? I thought that was kind of strange that they didn't want to put any effort into "finding" where their package went and just wanted a refund right away. So I message them the next day and tell them, no I can't, sorry. It's marked as delivered so I must assume it was in fact delivered, which is true I'm not forced to refund them. A few hours later they escalate it to customer service and within about 20 minutes, the case is closed and ebay ended up refunding them, so essentially a win / win for both of us.

Only reason I bring this up is, I can't believe how easy it seems to scam eBay out of money. And by doing so, neither the buyer or seller are affected! Needless to say, I was pretty surprised and relieved with the outcome, I've never had that happen before.

I always ship really expensive items with signature confirmation so no one can try to pull BS like that.

I wonder if anyone has filed an INR case after signing for the package. Hell, ebay is so buyer biased, they'd probably give them their money back anyway.

You can't pay for the item without paying for the shipping... it doesn't let you make a partial payment. If you had shipping charges set up on the listing, it will all be paid at once.

Also, eBay has no way to force anyone to pay you, they can give him an unpaid item strike but that's it. I don't know why in the world you would consider shipping something you hadn't been paid for. Ebay will blame you because its your fault. Nothing they can do about that.
1. thanks for info, i did notice a sale just ended and i received more money than the bid itself. I'm still learning the shipping and some methods cost 5 dollars and others $11-15. i dont want to make the mistake that ebay calculates a 6 dollar shipping and it ends up being 11. I have no idea what priority small flat rate box means.. the only thing that i have shipped in the past 20 years is a pen pal letter in the 3rd grade..

2. lesson learned. was my first sale and didnt think it could happened and it did..

Every once in a while I hate when I get some returned becuse it says undeliverable as addressed. Buyer says that is the correct address though.

Blah - I don't feel like spending another 3 dollars to ship it out. If I can't figure out what happened I should probably just try to cancel the auction.

How many negative feedbacks does it take before eBay shitcans someone's account? I bought something from a seller, it never arrived despite being marked as shipped. Opened a case, escalated it, eBay gave my money back, no big deal. The seller never responded. It seems like the seller decided to take the money and run with a ton of people. They've got FIFTY - 50 - negative feedbacks this month alone (only two prior to this month), and are sitting at a 42.7% positive. Yet they still have a ton of listings available for purchase. Have they really not met the threshold for having their seller account terminated?

No, I know for a 100% fact that eBay does target you. Why else would they arbitrarily say "we're not targeting you"?

It's like a police officer pulling me over, asking for my license and registration, and me going "Officer, I just want to tell you I don't have any cocaine in my trunk"

Immediately, red flags would go up.

Sometimes other sellers report you, but ebay does target and monitor you. That I know as an absolute fact. They also monitor your "private" messages to see if you are messaging people DLC if you've had violations in the past.

At this point, I'll still stand on my position that violation notices will come from other eBay members reporting you.

My personal stories are examples why. At different points in time, I've had multiple DLC listings up. A lot of times, when the violation notices come in, I'll get all of my related listings removed. For example, I had all of my Assassin Creed related DLC's removed. Yet, I still had my CoD DLC's untouched even though they were available at the same time the AC listings were up. If eBay was targeting me, they would have removed my other 2 CoD listings. The wording wasn't any different. Actually, I just copy and paste the exact same description for the sake of convenience. The only thing that is different is the title and picture. It's only plausible that some dickweed that was selling other AC related DLC felt I was hurting his sales so he decided to try to remove my listing (which btw baffles me because I don't partake in the stupid penny lowball wars, I simply match the lowest price yet some sellers feel the need that of course that the next sale will be the only sale ever for the related item on eBay #sellerdumbassery). I'm going on a tangent here, but I reported his other listings and got back at him by getting his removed as well. I know some cags feel like I'm an asshole for doing it but I don't think it's fair for me to get taken down when I'm not the one doing the provoking in the first place.

Anyways, as mentioned before, if eBay targeted you, you would never be able to relist DLC items after receiving a warning and I've relisted mine without issue in the past.

bread's done
Back