The General eBay Rant Thread

Didn't even realize there were still people that actually made a living flipping shit. I know there are plenty of people here that do it on the side or just as a hobby but I cannot even fathom doing it as a full-time job with nothing else to supply income. I would think after the early 2000s doing it as a full-time gig would have been next to impossible. With technology the way it is, specifically with smartphones and everything they can do now, I just don't see how anyone could do this to make a full income on. If you somehow can (and aren't doing it by way of having a trade partnership or any sort business agreement where you're getting the goods at bulk prices, I'm talking good ole store hopping and nabbing) do it still I must tip my hat as to me it sounds like a giant waste of time as well as a very stressful and hectic lifestyle since you'd constantly have to have something going to keep the money coming. This isn't the old days where you can walk into the store, find something worth a good penny, and unload it on eBay to someone across the country who doesn't have access to it for x10 of what you paid for it after all.

Anyone else get these messages from buyers literally BEGGING for free stuff? It is beginning to become tiresome:

Hi there. I am in a huge dilemma.... My 11 year old little boy is terminally ill with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and is asking Santa for this mega yarn Yoshi. Our Toys r us sold out before I could get there. You may verify our story on Facebook. Dalton Defeating Duchenne or my page is more current and public ... Stacie Al-Chokhachi.

We can not afford to pay the prices these are going for. I wish money wasn't an issue so I could give him all he desires. I am asking if you would be willing to make the price more affordable so Dalton may have it on Christmas morning. If not, it is ok. God will provide one way or another. Thank you for your time and I look forward to a response!!

In Him,

Stacie

Even if your answer is no..... Will you please let me know so I can look elsewhere. Thanks!
BLESSED! LIVE ON PURPOSE!

- 901stacie

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but I just ignore them.
Yea, same thing I will do. A got torn a new a-hole in the amiibo thread. Lol

I've received a pity message from someone starting they were a "wounded veteran" in need of a ps4 discount....Dude wanted it for $50. I always ignore those.

Yeah, call me cold and heartless but I'm calling bullshit on that message. Just seems fake to me, reads too much like a spam email. Even if it was true, not having one particular toy for your sick child on Christmas is not fitting my definition of a "huge dilemma".

Hello. Um. Is there a way that I can get Crash Bnadicoo ps1 at no charge. I'd like a free replacement. I would like to get the full collection.

Please. Thank you.
Hello. My name is James and I'd like to know if you'll give me crash bandicoot for free. I really want that game.

I'd appreciate it.
Thank you.
Real messages I received on Amazon this year, both from the same person.

Is it possible for eBay to cancel transactions if you call them or is that beyond their power? Here's the deal, somebody purchased a listing of mine however I was worried because they were located out of country and wanted it shipped to a forwarding agency which I've never done done before so I sent a cancellation request telling him I stated I don't ship out of country, but later I sent him a message agreeing to send the item out once he places payment. Now today he sent me a message saying that he's not interested in the item any more because he purchased one from somebody else, BUT he didn't respond to the cancellation request.

Really frustration because I want to get this item sold and now I'm stuck waiting another day for him to respond to me asking him to respond to the cancellation. I'm also worried he might be weighting his options and won't cancel until the order from somebody else ships out, but that can't be allowed by eBay right?

So, I had somebody buy a Blu-ray from me, but the user is no longer a registered user. Are my FVFs automatically refunded to me?

Is it possible for eBay to cancel transactions if you call them or is that beyond their power? Here's the deal, somebody purchased a listing of mine however I was worried because they were located out of country and wanted it shipped to a forwarding agency which I've never done done before so I sent a cancellation request telling him I stated I don't ship out of country, but later I sent him a message agreeing to send the item out once he places payment. Now today he sent me a message saying that he's not interested in the item any more because he purchased one from somebody else, BUT he didn't respond to the cancellation request.

Really frustration because I want to get this item sold and now I'm stuck waiting another day for him to respond to me asking him to respond to the cancellation. I'm also worried he might be weighting his options and won't cancel until the order from somebody else ships out, but that can't be allowed by eBay right?
I've never done a cancellation request myself, but I believe they won't close it. They will most likely tell you to just wait the 7 days(or whatever time it is), then you close it and receive your FVF credit.

So, I had somebody buy a Blu-ray from me, but the user is no longer a registered user. Are my FVFs automatically refunded to me?
You have to open an unpaid item dispute for that transaction if he never paid.

Let it expire like that earlier case. Re-list it now if you want to risk it. As for selling overseas, if it's through eBay Global (Kentucky address), your liability ends after they receive it at the forwarding center.

I can't. Every time I try to for that case it says the system is unavailable.
Call them. At the options menu, just press 0 a few times to talk to a person. It'll be fixed in under 5 minutes.

I had someone buy it now on my auction for the Pipboy last week. He never paid and told me he'd pay on Monday. Monday evening I sent him a message, but he never responded. On Tuesday I opened a case and relisted the item, it sold and has already been delivered. Never heard anything from anyone.

I had someone buy it now on my auction for the Pipboy last week. He never paid and told me he'd pay on Monday. Monday evening I sent him a message, but he never responded. On Tuesday I opened a case and relisted the item, it sold and has already been delivered. Never heard anything from anyone.
He used Cancel Transaction, not Unpaid Item Dispute. If the buyer says no, he won't get his FVF back and buyer can still leave negative feedback, he'll have to close it himself after the time expires.

He used Cancel Transaction, not Unpaid Item Dispute. If the buyer says no, he won't get his FVF back and buyer can still leave negative feedback, he'll have to close it himself after the time expires.
Ugh what would I have to do to get the fees back? I Started it as an Unpaid Item Dispute and then after messaging the buyer and being told he no longer wanted it I moved to cancel the transaction instead, but he's an asshole and never responded to it.

Ugh what would I have to do to get the fees back? I Started it as an Unpaid Item Dispute and then after messaging the buyer and being told he no longer wanted it I moved to cancel the transaction instead, but he's an asshole and never responded to it.
You just have to close it yourself . How long has it been? You should be able to close it by now. It's either 7 or 8 days at the same time you opened the case for Cancel Transaction.

But I don't see how you were able to open a dispute and a cancel transaction, as its only one or the other.

Not good. Paypal is telling me it requires my tax information. It says I went over 200 transactions over a calendar year. I thought it was only supposed to be triggered after 200 transactions in a month. What should I do? I've already lost out on enough money from Paypal and eBay. I'm not giving so much as a dime to the government from the money I make on eBay.

Not good. Paypal is telling me it requires my tax information. It says I went over 200 transactions over a calendar year. I thought it was only supposed to be triggered after 200 transactions in a month. What should I do? I've already lost out on enough money from Paypal and eBay. I'm not giving so much as a dime to the government from the money I make on eBay.
Half the stuff you sold was probably used anyway. Can't you just claim it as a loss? Also, if they don't actually have your tax info, why give it? Screw them. Create a new account or something. I don't remember if they required my social back when I registered.

Let me explain how this works. If you don't respond to PayPal you won't have a PayPal account (they will limit your status). I could be wrong since I have had my account for over a decade, but if you open a new one to try and circumvent a selling restriction I believe you MUST provide a SSN so there is no "I'll just create a new account". You can have multiple PayPal accounts (I think three) so if you are really trying to defraud the government you should have divided your sales across more then one account if that would have helped you stay below the threshold.

Regardless PayPal isn't asking to be nosey, they're doing it because by law, they are required to do so. Once they have your information, and I'm sure there are ways for them to get it even if you don't provide it, they will generate a 1099-K (revenue from online sales) and send that to the IRS. If you prepare your taxes and don't include the revenue as listed on the 1099-K I can guarantee you that you will get a notice of underpayment in about 4-12 months after you file and they will assume that all gross sales on the 1099-K is pure profit and you will be assessed a handful of fees on top of that. This is because PayPal will send that form to the IRS so they will have that and cross reference it to what you filed.

Then the burden will be on you to prove that, let's say the $25,000 in sales on your 1099-K, isn't pure income and that you had inventory costs and what not.

Depending on how you respond, will determine if they accept your "reconsideration" and even if they do you are going to be at an infinitely higher risk to get audited moving forward.

And based on your response, I'm sure you have other income you haven't reported from online sales (you're supposed to report all of it regardless of whether or not you sell enough for a 1099-K to be generated).

Yes, because the IRS going after you in 5 years will be so much better when you have to pay fines.
Exactly. Better to deal with it now then later. Not including information from a 1099-K on your tax return is a surefire way of getting flagged.

Half the stuff you sold was probably used anyway. Can't you just claim it as a loss? Also, if they don't actually have your tax info, why give it? Screw them. Create a new account or something. I don't remember if they required my social back when I registered.
Actually, most of the stuff I am making a loss on. I purchased it all a long time ago and I remember what I paid for it, so after fees and shipping, I am losing out on what I ended up paying. Video games are a truly terrible investment.

Actually, most of the stuff I am making a loss on. I purchased it all a long time ago and I remember what I paid for it, so after fees and shipping, I am losing out on what I ended up paying. Video games are a truly terrible investment.
LOL. Okay. Remember the burden of proof lies on you. Hope you have good records.

LOL. Okay. Remember the burden of proof lies on you. Hope you have good records.
Do they actually require receipts and the like? I paid for most of my things with cash and junked my receipts after the return date was up, so I don't have much in the way of proof. It doesn't matter. They've got hundreds or millions of people like me to process. It's unlikely that they would actually come after me even with my shoddy record keeping. After all, I didn't expect to sell most of it. The thing is, I have almost no multiples of any game because I was planning to play them. But I don't have time anymore and the space they take up is getting out of hand, so I'm just trying to get rid of them, preferably for around what I paid.

Tax fraud investigations cost the government tens of thousands of dollars to conduct, they're not going to go after an eBay seller for $25k of goods. I recommend being truthful, but don't be afraid to let them know if it's a loss.

They won't have to investigate when they have a 1099-K from eBay and bill you for tax.

But it doesn't matter. Listen to our advice or not, it's your problem.

Tax fraud investigations cost the government tens of thousands of dollars to conduct, they're not going to go after an eBay seller for $25k of goods. I recommend being truthful, but don't be afraid to let them know if it's a loss.
Oh no. I don't clear anything near $25,000. I haven't made even half that much in 5 years of selling altogether. I'm lucky to get $100 a month (not counting the holiday season) and $3,000 a year off of this. I've only met the second requirement of 200 transactions in a calendar year.

Oh no. I don't clear anything near $25,000. I haven't made even half that much in 5 years of selling altogether. I'm lucky to get $100 a month (not counting the holiday season) and $3,000 a year off of this. I've only met the second requirement of 200 transactions in a calendar year.
That's weird, I thought it was 20k AND 200 transactions.

They won't have to investigate when they have a 1099-K from eBay and bill you for tax.

But it doesn't matter. Listen to our advice or not, it's your problem.
It's as simple as this ^^^^

I'm going to use easy numbers. Let's pretend you have a regular job and make $30,000/year. You file your taxes and don't include the other $20,000 of gross sales (i.e. payments received) via PayPal (again we're assuming you took in exactly $20,000 in online sales---doesn't have to be just eBay but any payment you received into your PayPal account).

The IRS is still going to get a 1099-K from PayPal on your behalf. They will see that you filed your taxes for the $30,000/year you make during your day job and they will also conclude that you have another $20,000 of unclaimed income that you failed to file.

This requires very little to almost no resources on the IRS behalf. The computer will flag that you didn't report earnings and someone will take 15 minute to review your file and realize that you didn't report your 1099-K.

Their initial stance will be that all payments received are pure income since you didn't file any business expenses. They will send you a bill for the taxes that you would be expected to pay on an additional $20,000/year based on your income. They will also asses underpayment penalties.

It will then be your job to prove that not all of the $20,000 was income. Have fun with that after that.

If you file correctly from the begginning and fudge numbers in your favor then yes, it is very likely they will NOT catch on. If you fail to file altogether it is very easy for them to catch that since your reported income won't match what they recieve from your employer + paypal (i.e. W2 + 1099K would = total income if you have a day job and sell online on the side).

Bottom line is that your income from job A + 1099-K must match, so intially you must report the $30,000 + $20,000 = $50,000 as your income and the deduct item costs, and any other business related costs. If you can effectively do that to get your actual income back down close to the $30,000 range then good for you.

As someone else mentioned I thought a 1099K was only generated if you met both qualifications:

1) 200+ sales in a calendar year

2) $20,000 in gross payments received in a calendar year (again we're NOT talking profit here)

If you didn't meet both then I'm not sure why PayPal would need you information other then it wouldn't surprise me if they are requiring all account holders to have a SSN on file and may be hounding those who created accounts when that wasn't a requirement

I see. Yeah, they don't have my SSN. Well, in that case, I would like to hear about others in my position. Is there anyone else who has sold over 200 items and not gone over $20,000 in a calendar year who has also not provided their SSN? Perhaps they just want the number and haven't actually generated the form for me.

Check around Reddit or some other resource with more people. I personally haven't gone above even 100 this year, so I'd be of no help in that regard.

I bought a used Lego set on Bricklink on 11/13 and used paypal to pay for it.  The seller had 0 feedback, but I figured I’d take a shot anyway.  Fast forward a week and I haven't received a shipping notice, so I sent her an email.  She responded that she shipped it 11/16 and I would receive it within two weeks.  Another week goes by and there is still no sign of the package.  She’s in CT, so it shouldn't have taken over two weeks to arrive.  I sent her another email on Monday, which she didn’t answer.  On Tuesday, I filed a dispute on Paypal.  She sent me a full refund apologizing and citing issues with the post office and the dispute was closed.  

Here’s the weird part… today I got an email update from Paypal with tracking for the package.  The tracking shows it was shipped on 11/17 and delivered on 11/19 and was left on the front door.  I have all my packages delivered to a business and UPS has always dropped off packages in the mail room.  The package weight is also only .5 pound, when it should be around 2 pounds since it was a pretty big set.  She also has a -1 feedback now from another member. 

Should I be worried that the refund may be reversed since she provided proof of delivery?  

As someone else mentioned I thought a 1099K was only generated if you met both qualifications:

1) 200+ sales in a calendar year

2) $20,000 in gross payments received in a calendar year (again we're NOT talking profit here)

If you didn't meet both then I'm not sure why PayPal would need you information other then it wouldn't surprise me if they are requiring all account holders to have a SSN on file and may be hounding those who created accounts when that wasn't a requirement
FAQ on Paypal and Tax Information

Confirms the 200+ a year AND $20,000 in gross sales per year to get the 1099-K, so Narukami won't be getting a form 1099-K. However, if you read the first question of the FAQ, the IRS may be doing some fact checking and saw that the TIN and Paypal information didn't line up, so they are asking him to submit this updated information. I don't know why they mentioned the 200 sales in a year if he didn't meet the $20,000 threshold, though.

On the topic of selling at a loss, that is mostly defined as income that is generated at a capital loss (instead of a capital gain in the reverse thrifting scenario as an example). If you are keeping detailed records of what you pay for the items you are selling, and the gross income for each item is less than what you originally paid for it, you don't have to file that as income.

Easy case in point, is if you buy a car and then sell it used later on, that does not need to be included as taxable income if you can prove you sold it at a loss. This is easy for most people since at the very least, people keep records of their vehicle purchases.

FAQ on Paypal and Tax Information

Confirms the 200+ a year AND $20,000 in gross sales per year to get the 1099-K, so Narukami won't be getting a form 1099-K. However, if you read the first question of the FAQ, the IRS may be doing some fact checking and saw that the TIN and Paypal information didn't line up, so they are asking him to submit this updated information. I don't know why they mentioned the 200 sales in a year if he didn't meet the $20,000 threshold, though.

On the topic of selling at a loss, that is mostly defined as income that is generated at a capital loss (instead of a capital gain in the reverse thrifting scenario as an example). If you are keeping detailed records of what you pay for the items you are selling, and the gross income for each item is less than what you originally paid for it, you don't have to file that as income.

Easy case in point, is if you buy a car and then sell it used later on, that does not need to be included as taxable income if you can prove you sold it at a loss. This is easy for most people since at the very least, people keep records of their vehicle purchases.
Thanks for this. As it turns out, it looks like I misread it. It looks like all they want is my Social Security #. Doesn't look like they're out for any tax money. Sorry about that. I just panicked when I saw it.

So it looks like a controller I sold on ebay might have gotten misplaced. It was suppose to be delivered last Wednesday but its hasn't moved, its stuck at a USPS facility 11 minutes away from the buyers house. The buyer hasn't contacted me yet but I was wondering if I should reach out to USPS or the buyer? Maybe they received it but the tracking never updated for some reason.

So it looks like a controller I sold on ebay might have gotten misplaced. It was suppose to be delivered last Wednesday but its hasn't moved, its stuck at a USPS facility 11 minutes away from the buyers house. The buyer hasn't contacted me yet but I was wondering if I should reach out to USPS or the buyer? Maybe they received it but the tracking never updated for some reason.
How long has it been at the facility? I recently bought a game on eBay and it was sitting at a facility for like 3 days before it left and now I'll be getting it today. I wouldn't bother calling the USPS since they can never seem to fix the problem/find it anyway. If the buyer opens a case, then you just provide the tracking number and eBay will typically refund the buying out of their pocket(you get to keep the money).

How long has it been at the facility? I recently bought a game on eBay and it was sitting at a facility for like 3 days before it left and now I'll be getting it today. I wouldn't bother calling the USPS since they can never seem to fix the problem/find it anyway. If the buyer opens a case, then you just provide the tracking number and eBay will typically refund the buying out of their pocket(you get to keep the money).
Its been there since last Tuesday, It definitely should have been delivered by now. I guess I'll just wait and see if the buyer contacts me about it.

Alright so i bought an item on the 26th of November and the seller shipped it out on the 1st of December.He says he shipped the item media mail and will arrive in 5-7 days it has now been 8 days and i have yet to receive item.So i says to the guy on Wednesday that if i dont receive the item by Friday i will demand a refund.Also he didn't bother to pay for tracking am i being impatient or should i be worried? The seller has 100% feedback if that helps.

Guy purchased a DVD from me and I shipped it out a day later. Tracking says it left my state's sorting facility 7 days ago and buyer has not recieved it yet. Should I call USPS or the buyer's local post office?

Alright so i bought an item on the 26th of November and the seller shipped it out on the 1st of December.He says he shipped the item media mail and will arrive in 5-7 days it has now been 8 days and i have yet to receive item.So i says to the guy on Wednesday that if i dont receive the item by Friday i will demand a refund.Also he didn't bother to pay for tracking am i being impatient or should i be worried? The seller has 100% feedback if that helps.
You're being impatient. Media Mail is bottom of the barrel, slowest speed. With holiday mail, that much more stuff has to move before it. I'd give it til at least Friday, or the last day eBay says it's supposed to be there, whichever is later.

If he used Media Mail, tracking is included. I don't know why he wouldn't give you a tracking number.

^^^ Maybe you guys are right and wait it out a bit i mean xmas is right around the corner and im sure there are a crap load of more packages to be delivered this time of year.

Anybody ever have issues with redeeming their eBay gift cards? 

Lately I've had issues getting the eBay app or desktop view to properly recognize an eBay gift card when I'm attempting to use it during checkout.  Sometimes it's the app working and desktop having issues or the desktop working but the app having issues for me. 

Just today I bought a headset on eBay using 3 gift cards (they accept up to 4) and when I checked my details, they only redeem 2 of my gift cards and charged the difference to my Paypal bank balance.  The worst part of it is they removed the high dollar gift card ($80) and only redeemed $5 worth between the other two gift cards they accepted.  The gift card works fine because the balance is still showing up when I verify as I also had used $20 from the same gift card for a previous purchase.  I'm annoyed that they charged my bank balance when they should have used my gift card.  Right now when I enter it on the desktop, it won't let it apply towards my order even though it's saved under my gift cards under the app. 

I've just had a run in with someone who is a complete scammer, but I didn't know until I had already purchased something from them yesterday. User ID: brr0796_dcynyo . He constantly resists the same items(Wii u's and GameCube component cables). Based on his feedback, he might be taking the money and immediately spending it.

I've just had a run in with someone who is a complete scammer, but I didn't know until I had already purchased something from them yesterday. User ID: brr0796_dcynyo . He constantly resists the same items(Wii u's and GameCube component cables). Based on his feedback, he might be taking the money and immediately spending it.
Okay? So if you get scammed or get sent nothing, then eBay will give you your money back. eBay will pay it out of their pocket if necessary, then go after the seller in collections if that's necessary. It's not really your problem or concern whether the dude is funneling the PayPal money to a Swiss bank account, using it to buy games on Steam immediately, or just letting it sit in his PayPal account. If he's ripping off buyers, he's ripping off eBay, and eBay has the power to shut him down if they're tired of whatever he's pulling. Just open a claim and/or report him if you don't get exactly what you paid for.

bread's done
Back