The Get Well Soon Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Thread: King OK, Going Home Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video in that article...

HOLY. SHIT.

http://youtu.be/A8-2YPu9ACc

If you're not willing to sit through all of that, skip to the last minute. You'll be fucking blown away by the stinky shit factor. Seriously. There's flies all over my apartment now.

It reminds me of the mischievous Triple H we've seen - primarily during the last couple runs of D-X (or "The Tag Team, D-X"). What about how Hunter thought he had a career in comedy, with whatever that last straight-to-Walmart DVD comedy he headlined? :lol:

I think Hunter is really, without a doubt, taking this guy under his wing. I think he sees himself in this guy.

And I'm going to bet Sheamus is a raging sociopath, too. I bet Triple H will give his first-born daughter to Sheamus.

[quote name='Brak']The video in that article...

HOLY. SHIT.

http://youtu.be/A8-2YPu9ACc

If you're not willing to sit through all of that, skip to the last minute. You'll be fucking blown away by the stinky shit factor. Seriously. There's flies all over my apartment now.

It reminds me of the mischievous Triple H we've seen - primarily during the last couple runs of D-X (or "The Tag Team, D-X"). What about how Hunter thought he had a career in comedy, with whatever that last straight-to-Walmart DVD comedy he headlined? :lol:

I think Hunter is really, without a doubt, taking this guy under his wing. I think he sees himself in this guy.

And I'm going to bet Sheamus is a raging sociopath, too. I bet Triple H will give his first-born daughter to Sheamus.[/QUOTE]
Didn't watch the whole thing, why is he singing "Hava Nagila" at the end?

wtf New Jack. Not saying that Memphis is the cradle of racial harmony but I also don't think that someone savvy enough to rise to the highest level of WWE announcer-dom is a hardcore closet racist.

The ECW invasion angle in '97/'98 (I think) was a work dude. Plus you had no qualms about running that affirmative action angle in Smoky Mountain Wrestling which was essentially designed to infuriate rednecks.

Impact was fine. Nothing really amazing or noteworthy, but there was some fine comedy on the show thanks to Hogan and Taz.

Full thoughts -

Loved the NS recap - especially since it kept Hogan's wacky bullshit in and the FIST BUMP. Good promo from Aries, and Hardy's painted up like an orange. Not a bad look for him. His arm must be damaged though because he didn't quite finish the paint job. Bully's out, blaming everyone but himself, and Aries brought up that he beat him via tapout, which I love. And it's gonna be Hardy-Bully tonight...so they did a show-long injury angle on the PPV just to no-sell it four days later. What a waste of time and money that wound up being. Bully freaking out over Hardy taking his shirt off, then shutting up when Hardy's theme hit was amusing.

X Title match time. Sonjay is for some reason, the number 1 contender, DESPITE LOSING CLEAN. Great little message from Tenay and Taz about King. Very classy move. Loved Taz calling it a video game match after Sonjay did an Asai moonsault 20 seconds in. Ion did the Rings of Saturn, which I'll dub the Rings of Sassoon. Nice post-match attack - they at least tried to get over a new move and further him being a killer. IT WOULD HELP IF HE WAS ACTUALLY ON TV TO KEEP THIS GOING! Zema's hairspray appears to be in a Campbell's soup can. Hogan made singles matches with the tag champs to determine what team they might face. Could be good, or not if they go with Hernandez to face Kaz.

Kurt met with AJ and threatened to wrestle, then Wes Brisco came back and looked younger because he wasn't in bright light that made his face look old. The Storm-Bully-Roode PPV video was way too hectic. Roode's promo was great, but Storm's stomping out to kick some ass was even better. I loved this. I was initially iffy about Aries winning and Roode-Storm not being for the title at BFG, but if any feud can go from world title to a grudge match and still feel as important, it's this one. Might as well use the title match to try and get Aries over as a legit main event star and then you've got some ready-made stuff after BFG.

BUY SIGNED TURNBUCKLES AND OTHER EXCLUSIVE COLLECTABLES! Loved them showing AJ beating Sting - made AJ seem like a big deal and the PPV itself to be a show where big things happen. AJ-Kaz is up, and the placement of that video was perfect. If Kaz wins, then he looks great because it establishes that he can beat a guy who was not only world champ, but who beat Sting. They did a crazy apron DDT/Michinoku Driver. They followed up that idiocy with Kaz doing a monkey flip on the floor - sending his own back on the ground and nearly leading to AJ falling right on Kaz's head. They're apparently going to have multiple matches before BFG on Spike - why not? They've got tons of people on the roster - might as well try to sell a couple of different styles on the pre-show if possible. AJ beat Kaz with the Clash, so they'll get a rematch. Hogan was being an overprotective dad to Brooke, but made sure to talk about how she has houses in NY and LA. And Joseph Park has evidence that he'll reveal next Thursday, and Hogan wants to BLOW UP THE ACES AND EIGHTS! Hulk Hogan, who I believe suspects that Joseph is Abyss, PUT A GUY WHO ENJOYS USING GLASS AND TACKS IN CHARGE OF PROTECTING HIS CHILD.

Bully met with Hardy and demanded that Hardy put his title shot on the line - and then tried to goat him into it with a guilt trip. Then Hardy 'woke up' from his painted-on daze and cut a drug promo and accepted. Hogan came out to say things, brother. Hogan's hyped up about the 12 SUPERHEROES WHO PUT IT ALL ON THE LINE for the BFG Series. He's fine with Hardy putting his shot on the line, which would sure seem to negate THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE BFG SERIES. Oh, and he's LOCKING DOWN THE IMPACT ZONE FOREVER! The Ace guy said that a guy in the front row could be one of them - I hope it's the guy in the wacky suit shirt. Goddamn that sucked.

Terrible editing on the recap video of what just happened. Hernandez and Chavo "acted". Chavo's been around forever and should be better at that. It's Chavo-Daniels, and Chavo's theme is still God-awful. Loved Taz's 'rat desperation" deal. Chavo beat Daniels in a match. Moves were done. No one cared until Chavo went for the cheap Eddie pop after the match. They kept playing Chavo's fucking theme to hype up the BFG contest. Evan Markopolous something is 18 and has been wrestling since he was 13. Seems likeable, if a bit too white meat.

Loved the Gail Kim BFG '07 video. Really made her seem like a big deal. Shame they screwed up the year and said it was '05 - kinda minor league there. They showed Tess on SI.com - great deal for her, also made her seem a bit more mainstream. Crowd's eating Tara's promo up. Tara played up being too nice, then strapped the belt on teasing throughout it that she was going to hit her with it. Then she let her parade around with the title, showing her ass off a ton before thwacking her with a lariat. YAY! Taz saying if you can't beat the champ, ya might as well strap her on was something else. They replayed an earlier Bully-Hardy video to hype up tonight's one.

Dixie returned to TV with no hype and is unhappy with a biker gang. Dixie is scared despite her hubby being able to kick the ass of a former world champ in AJ. D'Lo appeared on-camera for the first time in a while and they said that it could be SOMEONE IN THE ROOM, there's also a weird echo going on. There's banging that no one's reacting to despite EVERYONE BEING AFRAID OF THE A and 8s. Hulk Hogan is taking advice from D'Lo Brown. That's honestly something I never thought I'd see. That was wacky.

Time for the main event. Hardy had no trouble getting his giant rash guard shirt on and isn't showing any signs of injury despite the video saying HE HAD A SEPARATED SHOULDER. They did that stupid cut in for ten seconds shit for this. Bully and Jeff had every other TV/PPV match they've ever had. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel special, especially for a main event for a title shot at the company's biggest show of the year. It did have a great near-fall with the swanton miss leading to the Bubba Bomb though. Hardy won after a Twist and swanton and for the first time in a long time, they actually went slightly over 10 PM.

Screens -

Bully bump -

Kaz killa

Could be anyone...

INCLUDING THIS GUY!

#hotheelturn

I look forward to the pop that Lawler gets when he makes his eventual return. It would be perfect if it could be in Memphis but the next WWE show there is SD since Raw is in Nashville that particular week.

Good to see him upend about, but I hope he takes the time to recover before even considering a return to the ring. Frankly, I hope he chooses retirement, we don't need another Misawa tragedy.

To be clear, I certainly don't want to see him wrestling again. Just a promo from him on the way to the announce table would still draw a huge response.

So WWE is preparing a "Did You Know?" bumper for Monday regarding how they were #1 on Twitter last week (undoubtedly because of Lawler's heart attack). Kind of pathetic.

Here is what the real "Did You Know?" should be (as stolen from a reddit comment):
Did You Know?
11m3wg8.png

A video of Triple H taking a member of the WWE Universe into the ring was upvoted to the number one spot on popular social media website Reddit, beating out other contenders such as meme compilations, fake parking tickets, cats and Valve video games.

[quote name='Halo05']wtf New Jack. Not saying that Memphis is the cradle of racial harmony but I also don't think that someone savvy enough to rise to the highest level of WWE announcer-dom is a hardcore closet racist.

The ECW invasion angle in '97/'98 (I think) was a work dude. Plus you had no qualms about running that affirmative action angle in Smoky Mountain Wrestling which was essentially designed to infuriate rednecks.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about all that. Look at Michael Hayes.

If I may go back to the subject on Sheamus for a bit, I remember awhile back in a interview the plan was for Sheamus to become the next Cena. The problem with that is they don't mean that as far as popularity goes, but rather on literally turning him into Cena 2.0. Think about it: Immunity to offense, refusal to tap, juvenile, forced sense of humor, hogging the belt, bland "NEVER SAY DIE/SMILE FOR THE KIDDIES" personality. The only difference is he throws in a "fella".

We've seen that character. We're SICK of that character. We don't need it in Shamrock Shake flavor.

[quote name='JJSP']She looks like warmed over shit.[/QUOTE]

Not to say she looks anything like she used to, but seriously, who the hell looks good in their mug shot? lol. Google "attractive mug shot" and see what you stumble across. Most of those are even going to be celebrities...who are generally expected to be better looking than "regular people". And of course, drugs don't help either.

The weird proportions of the image and the watermark right over the face definitely don't help matters either.

If anyone has some Rumblers in great shape, and wants to unload them for a fair price, PM me. A friend of mine needs some for a project.

Willing to buy in bulk.

The WWE has released a statement saying, "As part of WWE’s Former Talent Program, we sent Ms. Sytch to rehabilitation three times, with all costs covered by WWE."

"Unfortunately, Ms. Sytch continues to make poor personal choices. WWE will continue to provide assistance should she want to take advantage of it."

Boy, they sure didn't waste their time saying, "Hey, not our fault".

You guys are crazy. Even at 45, I think Rena Mero is very attractive.

And Jerry Lawler is invincible. Somewhat incredible recovery. The human body is ridiculously resilient.

That Sheamus piece is on the money. Quite fitting that he's Triple H's boy. (See: Triple H circa 2000.)

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Didn't watch the whole thing, why is he singing "Hava Nagila" at the end?[/QUOTE]
He full-on does schtick the entire video. Earlier in the segment, he claims he's half Jewish and rolls off into some corny, corny Jew jokes on television in 2012.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Boy, they sure didn't waste their time saying, "Hey, not our fault".[/QUOTE]

And why shouldn't they? If she's making headlines around TMZ and other websites, people are going to start talking about ex-wrestlers and their issues. And unfortunately WWE put her in their Hall of Fame which is basically an endorsement of her and her career, so they have to take the extra step of further distancing themselves from her now as opposed to if this was someone like Justin Credible.

WWE isn't a perfect organization and for many years the type of business they ran allowed these people who make bad life choices to continue to thrive. But it is still the individual making the choices. For every Sunny there are many ex-wrestlers who don't have substance abuse problems and who don't get themselves arrested 3 times in 3 days or whatever all while making erratic choices and statements to the public.

[quote name='kodave']And why shouldn't they? If she's making headlines around TMZ and other websites, people are going to start talking about ex-wrestlers and their issues. And unfortunately WWE put her in their Hall of Fame which is basically an endorsement of her and her career, so they have to take the extra step of further distancing themselves from her now as opposed to if this was someone like Justin Credible.

WWE isn't a perfect organization and for many years the type of business they ran allowed these people who make bad life choices to continue to thrive. But it is still the individual making the choices. For every Sunny there are many ex-wrestlers who don't have substance abuse problems and who don't get themselves arrested 3 times in 3 days or whatever all while making erratic choices and statements to the public.[/QUOTE]

Nah dude, it's just a statement by them so the political pundits in Connecticut don't try to turn this into a campaign issue against Linda. They've never issued one for when Scott Hall gets arrested or shows up in an incapacitated state somewhere that I can remember.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Brock is hotter than Sable.[/QUOTE]

I'd totally let him pound my face with hammer punches.

Seriously, though. I'd take the "Ooh! Hostess is on sale!" fat Sunny over the Sunny in that mugshot nine times out of ten.

[quote name='mitch079']Nah dude, it's just a statement by them so the political pundits in Connecticut don't try to turn this into a campaign issue against Linda. They've never issued one for when Scott Hall gets arrested or shows up in an incapacitated state somewhere that I can remember.[/QUOTE]

It's not like they issued a press release, after looking over WWE Corporate and WWE.Com. It looks like the statement was given to TMZ directly. And just because they didn't do it when Scott Hall last made TMZ doesn't mean there is some nefarious or sinister political play here.

Obviously WWE's actions are somewhat tailored around Linda's campaign. I'm not one of those "PG Era Because Of Linda's Political Aspirations" conspiracy theorists, but they have taken actions like firing A.W. that are awfully convenient for Linda.

But at the same time - when someone attacks Linda McMahon because of the WWE, they're attacking the WWE too, separate from Linda. They're saying "Look what a terrible organization this is!" And WWE has a right to defend itself. It has important contracts and shareholders and other considerations in mind, beyond Linda's campaign.

There's so much shit to be negative about when it comes to WWE wrestling, but sometimes the IWC is a little much with "BAH LINDA POLITICS PG BLAH TRISH BARKING LIKE A DOG BLAH."

WWE distancing themselves from people behaving badly, like Sunny, is smart business regardless of whether or not Linda is running for office. What if Sunny does something even more fucked up and kills herself or others with her irresponsible actions? WWE has to lay the ground work ahead of time that they've offered help and will continue to offer help before people like Marc Mero are on CNN flashing 1001 People Who Died In Pro Wrestling Lists with people who died of natural causes and shit.

SD was a fine, largely forgettable show outside of anger management wackiness.

Full thoughts -
Love Ricardo making wacky faces in the opening, and I liked them using the Brogue kick to explain why Christian was down to the IC Title level and below. Bryan's giant beard reminds me of when Spike was "the Boss" of the Dudleys. HOW DARE SHEAMUS ATTACK OTUNGA and steal the neck brace! That brace probably cost him a cool $20 at CVS. Nice update from Cole on Lawler, although it seemed odd to have that right after he played...sorta heel in the opening segment. I'm not sure what they edited out of the Miz-Cara match, but they should've taken out the botched Irish whip before the break. God, this lighting is such a fail. Loved the flying back elbow/backflip into a boot counter into a rana sequence. La Mistica thingy was a mega fail and the Rock does a better La Majistral than Sin Cara. Orton-TENSAI IN THEIR FIRST MATCH EVER! No thanks. WWE BRAWLIN BUDDIES! Wow - Orton's voice work for it was even more boring than his usual promo work.

WHY THE fuck IS MATT STRIKER AFRAID OF THE MIZ!? Goddamn, he sounds like a 12 year asking questions to him. Cody wants his belts. Rey wants it...despite losing to Miz. Sin Cara pointing at the belt to indicate wanting it ruled. YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING BY POINTING. Cody ruled too. The Bryan/Kane deal is so much more fun in video packages. And now Kane and Bryan are playing with their (anger) balls. Dr. Shelby sure has a creepy look on his face while watching two guys squeeze their balls. Well, he's a doctor - I guess he's seen a lot of it. That was...not very PG, but was made great by the sheer wackiness of it.

Kane faces Super Kofi. Maybe he can face Power Uti after getting released by WWE. God, Kofi does Christian's fulcrum kick so much worse. Love the chokeslam off the diving whatever from Kofi. Loved Dr. Shelby coming out and making what can only be described as Tenay faces. He looked EXACTLY friggin like him doing this. Creepy. Love the one guy yelling FINISH HIM while Kane clutched Kofi after the match. Dr. Shelby clapping like he was at a recital was great. This was worlds better than the wacky skit. Orton pointing out that he's only facing Tensai because they have nothing to do was amusing. Sadly, he didn't tell us that his name. Was Randy Orton.

Tensai couldn't have fallen off the apron any slower off the dropkick. Tensai going from the Vulcan Nerve Pinch to the Trooper's BIG PINCH amused me. Loved VINTAGE CLUBBERING to execute the draping DDT. Great-looking RKO for the finish. Dolph hopping over the steps in one shot in his post-match attack attempt ruled. I like Antonio getting TV time. I don't like it being in a wacky battle royal setup thing than a match though. I guess he's retaining though since he was made to look like a goof against Kidd and Brodus. Kidd's dancing is great. Barrett's talking about people being confused by what he said last week...and then said another confusing statement. Kaitlyn and Beth had some rough spots, but I'm pretty sure Kaitlyn does the scorpion death drop better than Sting now. AWESOME Punk-Cena video package from Raw.

The HUGE MAIN EVENT as Cole put it has 10 minutes of TV time left before it starts. LOVED Cole putting over the history of the cloverleaf and name-dropping Dory Funk Jr. and Dean Malenko. Loved Bryan doing the NO NO NO deal before having to say the word he hates most to avoid further injury. Kinda sucks to have him lose before his PPV title match, but still being in there with Sheamus makes me think he's still kind of a main eventer in the company's eyes.

Screens -

I'm still in shock that a team of the Road Dogg and Billy Gunn was so successful. The perfect example of the sum being greater than the parts.

[quote name='diddy310']First comment nails it[/QUOTE]

that's the first thing I noticed, too.

the THQ guy saying how cool the effect is in censoring Austin's fingers (in the videos Scorch posted a few days ago) is preposterous company line toe-ing.

Call me when you're $29.99, WWE '13.

[quote name='mykevermin']Call me when you're $29.99, WWE '13.[/QUOTE]

And then, WWE 13, call me when you're 19.99—and available for PC. (Not holding my breath for either.)

WWE 13... Call me when you're on the Wii.... U.

Actually I'm still waiting for WWE SVR 11 to hit a price worth pulling the trigger on. Gotta be sometime soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back