The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chase']My apologies. [/QUOTE]

Thanks - the internet has a lot of things, but could certainly use more courtesy. I appreciate it.

As for the slammy, yeah, for the right price ($150-200) I'd pick it up. I have a couple hundo in disposable income set aside for my next tattoo work, but I'd be willing to put it off for a slammy.

You'd have to take it around everywhere and pose for pictures with it. Of course, actually posing with it in a picture with Flair would be so awesome it would rip a hole in the fabric of space.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']SO has anyone picked up Firepro on Xbox now that its on sale? I'm on the fence... does it get better than the demo?

edit: I know it will never be as good as Firepro Returns.[/QUOTE]

"Definitely not Fire Pro" is the correct mindset to have for XBLA Fire Pro. None of the ultra deep customization is there thanks to it being an avatar based game and the game mechanics are watered down at best. It's an OK "quick minute to burn" game on its own merits, but it doesn't do anything positive to try to call it a Fire Pro game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks - the internet has a lot of things, but could certainly use more courtesy. I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, sir. I was in sort of a pack mentality joking about Mark Sanchez, and the next thing I know I bring that into this thread. 'Twas a bit out-of-character for me.

[quote name='Genocidal']Smackdown has to cut costs so they can sign the hottest free agent in sports entertainment, complete with inflatable entrance tunnel and pyro.[/QUOTE]

Ain't gonna lie: I'd mark if I see a return of the moon bounce.

I'd love to see strong-style MVP vs. Antonio Cesaro.

Seriously, I'm fucking astonished with how much more I like Cesaro even compared to his body of work in ROH. Are there any cases of someone moving up to WWE and *improving* in their work? He's an anomaly as far as I can tell.

Quite the anomaly as he has risen up without much fanfare and the initial big push alot of other recent wrestlers have (Sheamus, Ryback, Nexus et. al). If he ever turns face, I am going to mark like my age was a single digit if he busts out the UFO. Let's face it there is no pulling that out in the WWE without a major pop.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears THQ didn't make it and is selling off their assets and filing for bankruptcy. So does everyone think EA ends up with the WWE license or will someone else step up?

At the very least they went out publishing the strongest Yukes WWE game in quite some time. It will be interesting to see if the next publisher with the license retains Yukes or takes it a new direction.

[quote name='Habbler']It appears THQ didn't make it and is selling off their assets and filing for bankruptcy. So does everyone think EA ends up with the WWE license or will someone else step up?[/QUOTE]

You really need to stop reading the headlines and read the entire articles on this stuff. THQ has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, but are already being heavily invested in by Clearlake Capital Group. They are not closing their doors, but are in fact continuing to work on current and upcoming projects. Here ia a link to the community message from Jason Rubin, their President.
http://www.thq.com/us/go/article/vi...ce=Social&utm_medium=General&utm_campaign=THQ

[quote name='mykevermin']Are there any cases of someone moving up to WWE and *improving* in their work? He's an anomaly as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

If we count the women, maybe Kelly Kelly. However, at her best, she's still pretty awful. Eve has been quite good. Dunno if it's an improvement because I didn't really pay any prior attention to her. As for the dudes, I'm unsure. Maybe someone like Elijah Burke who began in OVW, and, after getting put on the main roster, had good matches with AKI Man, CM Punk, and those stuck in WWE's half-ass version of ECW.

[quote name='ced']. . . UFO . . . [/QUOTE]

\o/ \o/ \o/

And as for THQ's impending demise, I hope WWE takes away the license from Yuke's (if they have the license). We need a new engine. I have nothing but negative things to say about the Toukon Retsuden engine. I have WWE 13, and while it's an improvement, the engine is still garbage. Just my opinion, tho.

[quote name='Chase']And as for THQ's impending demise, I hope WWE takes away the license from Yuke's (if they have the license). We need a new engine. I have nothing but negative things to say about the Toukon Retsuden engine. I have WWE 13, and while it's an improvement, the engine is still garbage. Just my opinion, tho.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, THQ's license was some weird agreement between them & Jakks Pacific. Which caused some lawsuit that eventually ended with THQ getting the game license directly from WWE until 2018.

There is some license agreements that have weird clauses in it(it mostly happens with foreign companies licensing). Where if the company files for bankruptcy, the license reverts back to the original holder(WWE). So WWE might be able to get it back easily and be the deciding factor on who gets the license next.

[quote name='tangytangerine']IIRC, THQ's license was some weird agreement between them & Jakks Pacific. Which caused some lawsuit that eventually ended with THQ getting the game license directly from WWE until 2018.

There is some license agreements that have weird clauses in it(it mostly happens with foreign companies licensing). Where if the company files for bankruptcy, the license reverts back to the original holder(WWE). So WWE might be able to get it back easily and be the deciding factor on who gets the license next.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I wouldn't hold out much hope for THQ losing the licence. THQ is going to remain in business for at least long enough to get WWE '14 out the door, and WWE likely won't want to rock the boat. One of the bigger issues is that WWE '13 didn't tank... I don't have numbers, but I want to say it may have been the most successful one in a while. If it had shit the bed, WWE might have looked for an out... but why leave at a peak? The other problem is that WWE, especially with their current financials, isn't stupid. They're greedy enough to stick with THQ if the other option is to take a different deal with a company that, let's be fair, won't have a game out until fall 2014 at best. They'd basically skip an entire year of easy revenue, which I wager they won't do unless they're forced to.

Short version: THQ will be around long enough to release at least '14, and WWE won't go anywhere until they're forced to because they like money.

THQ could always sell the liscense like they did with UFC. I am not sure what the numbers difference was between the sales of the Undisputed series the WWE series compared to how much spent for the rights, but I can see THQ selling off if somebody was willing to pay up. Maybe EA could snap it up and tweak the engine used in Def Jam Vendetta or Def Jam Fight for NY.

[quote name='Aldogg']THQ could always sell the liscense like they did with UFC. I am not sure what the numbers difference was between the sales of the Undisputed series the WWE series compared to how much spent for the rights, but I can see THQ selling off if somebody was willing to pay up. Maybe EA could snap it up and tweak the engine used in Def Jam Vendetta or Def Jam Fight for NY.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but UFC was a series of hugely diminishing returns for them. WWE, second likely to only Saint's Row, is one of very few 'money' properties for them. They sold UFC because it was failing for them, which is not a problem they have with WWE. Seriously, I think each UFC game sold like half as much as the previous one.

[quote name='007']Yes, but UFC was a series of hugely diminishing returns for them. WWE, second likely to only Saint's Row, is one of very few 'money' properties for them. They sold UFC because it was failing for them, which is not a problem they have with WWE. Seriously, I think each UFC game sold like half as much as the previous one.[/QUOTE]

Your post got me interested in sales numbers for the UFC games, so I looked them up on vgchartz. I know it isn't extremely accurate, but it is about the only option.

UFC 2009 Undisputed: 1.97M (360) 1.70M (PS3)
UFC Undisputed 2010: 1.25M (360) 1.33M (PS3)
UFC Undisputed 3: 0.63M (360) 0.69M (PS3)

You were definitely right. I knew the sales were going downhill but I didn't remember them tanking that much. It kind of falls in line with how the UFC games were for me. I played the crap out of the first one, regretted buying the second one, and never bought the third one.

As for WWE 13, according to the same source, both the 360 and PS3 versions have each sold around 600,000 copies so far. Those numbers seem lower than I expected, as I thought this year's game was selling well. It is obviously still pretty early on in its life cycle, but looking at the previous few wrestling games, it would probably do well to get to one million (already sold about as well as last UFC game).

Dang. The Shield fucked up Dreamer. (spoilered for pic size)

Wrestlemania Plans

For what it's worth, it's said that whatever plans WWE had worked in for WrestleMania 29 were changed over the past week. Apparently major changes went down and the only match that wasn't touched is Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H.

This doesn't necessarily mean that for example, The Rock vs. John Cena isn't taking place, but it could mean that twists and turns or stipulations are being thrown in.

On a related note, there has at least been talk that Sheamus going down with two clean losses to Big Show will set up him to win the Royal Rumble for the second year in a row. As noted before, Randy Orton vs. Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Title has been planned for WrestleMania 29.

Big E Langston Info

- It appears the debut of Big E Langston on WWE TV had not been planned for more than 10 days as he was pushed as the top babyface at the December 6th NXT tapings where he defeated Seth Rollins for the NXT Title since Rollins had debuted on RAW with The Shield. Because of the way NXT is taped, Langston's title win won't air for several weeks but the official NXT website has featured him in a graphic since debuting earlier this week.

McMahon Prepares For Media Backlash

There was concern at this week's TV tapings that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut may affect the product in some way because of an anti-violence media backlash, particularly when it comes to shows that draw kids. Vince McMahon told people that he expects to be targeted for the effect wrestling has on children, and that they will fight back with charity work and pushing the idea that WWE is family entertainment.

JBL receives hate mail

- JBL received a bunch of hate mail from fans of the Rangers Football Club, a soccer team in Scotland, when he mentioned on the December 17th RAW that they went bankrupt.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dang. The Shield fucked up Dreamer. (spoilered for pic size)

[/QUOTE]

Tommy got pretty messed up for a worked beatdown.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dang. The Shield fucked up Dreamer. (spoilered for pic size)

[/QUOTE]

I thought thats what he looked like normally?

[quote name='Brak']What if Shane McMahon were the leader of Aces & Eights?[/QUOTE]

You just set my expectations really high. It'll wind up being Garrett Bischoff. He already gets X-Pac heat.

[/QUOTE]

#KayfabeNeverDie

WWE is going to make a play for THQ.

STAMFORD, Conn., December 19, 2012 – WWE (NYSE:WWE) is following the developments of THQ’s bankruptcy filing today and proposed sale under Bankruptcy Code Section 363. The Company anticipates actively participating within this proceeding.

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']WWE is going to make a play for THQ.

STAMFORD, Conn., December 19, 2012 – WWE (NYSE:WWE) is following the developments of THQ’s bankruptcy filing today and proposed sale under Bankruptcy Code Section 363. The Company anticipates actively participating within this proceeding.
[/QUOTE]

Actually that reads more like they're a creditor in the proceeding. Perhaps past due licensing fees?

[quote name='yobaburp']@demun_ragin and the cBz along with ChoiceBoyzRic is going after Newjack and Rocco B. from mega64.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry. I have only mastered the English language. Twitter speak is something even i can not decipher.... Can you please explain what in the blue hell that shit means?

THQ owes WWE $45 million as one of their largest unsecured creditors according to a report by Bloomberg. As noted on Wednesday, WWE announced they will be “actively participating” in THQ’s bankruptcy proceedings.

Zen Davis was totally wrong up there. WWE isn't trying to buy THQ.

Ahh Zen Davis, How we miss you so....

Rumor has it that Gargus won the 1st Annual Zen Davis Memorial Cup recently, but as of yet nobody has been able to confirm this.

Wouldn't be the first time they sunk their money into a loser. How ya doin', Linda? *waves*

:lol: at the last several replies

This week, I've been listening/catching-up with select episodes of Art of Wrestling during my workouts. So... Pre-implants Lita was a stripper. We're talking about before she was Miss Congeniality in ECW. Interesting to hear such honesty. From what I remember hearing, a long time ago, during her ECW career she was quite the "ring rat." But who knows or cares if that's true, right?

And the 100th episode, where CM Punk hosts, is quite funny.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. How foolish were they to take that deal?[/QUOTE]

It's likely that they didn't take a deal per se, it's more likely the poor decision they made was to defer licensing payments. By default any person who you owe money to can be a creditor and any money they owe is unsecured, unless the lending agreement specifically outlines that they are receiving a security interest in your property. I would guess that $45 million is more than 1 year worth of licensing agreement fees though so the potentially smarter move for WWE (now that they're likely out all the money) would have been to file suit for breach of contract when the fees were first late and potentially seek rescission of the licensing agreement. Of course, that's all 20/20 hindsight for WWE but still, I'm surprised they let the debt get that big considering we've pretty much known the condition THQ has been in for at least a year now...

6 figures in student loan debt for a law degree, gotta use it on something, even if it just internet message board posts. Ah, student loan debt... unsecured but almost never dischargeable in bankruptcy... fuck, I'm drinking some more...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']6 figures in student loan debt for a law degree, gotta use it on something, even if it just internet message board posts. Ah, student loan debt... unsecured but almost never dischargeable in bankruptcy... fuck, I'm drinking some more...[/QUOTE]

It may vary by state but most student loans are only dischargeable by death. Usually that's one of the questions on the "Exit Exam" you have to take if you use financial aid of any kind. I take it you didn't find a law job after law school?

[quote name='kodave']It may vary by state but most student loans are only dischargeable by death. Usually that's one of the questions on the "Exit Exam" you have to take if you use financial aid of any kind. I take it you didn't find a law job after law school?[/QUOTE]

I have one semester left. Yeah, death is one way to discharge student loan debt (although it's not really technically discharged at that point...) but it can also be discharged if you can show undue hardship. That's really tough to prove though and rarely happens. Student loans and bankruptcy are under federal law also by the way. A state court wouldn't have any say in a bankruptcy proceeding, Congress has given exclusive jurisdiction to federal courts for bankruptcy.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I have one semester left. Yeah, death is one way to discharge student loan debt (although it's not really technically discharged at that point...) but it can also be discharged if you can show undue hardship. That's really tough to prove though and rarely happens. Student loans and bankruptcy are under federal law also by the way. A state court wouldn't have any say in a bankruptcy proceeding, Congress has given exclusive jurisdiction to federal courts for bankruptcy.[/QUOTE]

All you need to know about BK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiCilTzhXrA

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back