The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ced']Very reminiscent of the classic Royal Rumble "angry mob" posters.[/QUOTE]

Best promo art WWE/F ever did...even if there were always one or two guys that looked really off.

1991 or 2001?

rr1991_786x786.jpg

wwfroyrum01ig6.jpg

For reference. The only "off" thing I see is that Kurt Angle appears to be dancing.

Wow, I don't remember the '91 Rumble being held on a Saturday. Perhaps I forgot due to a rage blackout. I was PISSED when Savage screwed Warrior out of the belt.

Who is that between Wah and Bradshaw on the 2001 poster? Blackman?

I was thinking '91 Myke and to a lesser degree 1992. Forgotten they had done the nod in 2001.

[quote name='Clak']They need to find better pictures to cut from. Or find someone who's better with Photoshop.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. My only complaint with the cover is how pasted on the renders look. The background and colors look solid though.

1992 Undertaker is pretty questionable. Flair looks weird too but I'm not sure why, maybe because his robe turns into pants? Jake being shorter than Flair is odd.

YpCH0.jpg

Just ordered Final Battle 12 for later today. I think I am more excited for that than TLC later tonight (which I will be skipping to watch the Patriots.) I thought the Briscoe vs Corino from ROH TV this week had an old school ECW vibe with the fans at time supplying weapons during the match.

[quote name='Aldogg']Just ordered Final Battle 12 for later today. I think I am more excited for that than TLC later tonight (which I will be skipping to watch the Patriots.) I thought the Briscoe vs Corino from ROH TV this week had an old school ECW vibe with the fans at time supplying weapons during the match.[/QUOTE]

Final Battle is absolutely going to be a great show. And yes that Briscoe vs Corino match was certainly old school ECW. Steen's promo at the end of the show really got me hyped for the match as well.

Final Battle starts at 3 PM EST on ROHWrestling.com - $15 well spent on what will be as I said earlier a great show.

Info on the card and more here!

LETS GO PATS!!!

[quote name='Demolition Man']Final Battle is absolutely going to be a great show. And yes that Briscoe vs Corino match was certainly old school ECW. Steen's promo at the end of the show really got me hyped for the match as well.

Final Battle starts at 3 PM EST on ROHWrestling.com - $15 well spent on what will be as I said earlier a great show.

Info on the card and more here!

LETS GO PATS!!!
[/QUOTE]

2 PM bro, your going to miss the first hour, unless they do an hour pre show but my countdown says 5 minutes.

[quote name='neocisco']Noticeable improvement in the video quality.

Hoopla![/QUOTE]

You seem to be in a minority on that. Tons of people are complaining about the stream being choppy which includes myself.

I had great quality throughout the iPPV except for the end of the Tag team triple threat where it got a little choppy. And Steen/Generico was amazing. Kevin Steen is quickly becoming one of my favorite wrestlers in any federation. 15 bucks for 3 and a half hours of a quality product was well worth it. I see me watching that ladder war again down the line.

[quote name='Demolition Man']You seem to be in a minority on that. Tons of people are complaining about the stream being choppy which includes myself.[/QUOTE]

I had some issues with the stream as well but I was speaking to the highly improved picture clarity. It was as if the cameras were eyes and they just had their cataracts removed. Much, much better than past PPV's.

Good call. I'm honestly more interested in the Fantasy Football league I'm running. Final regular season week for us and each game has 1-2 players left on each side and only differences of 2-5 points between the teams. It's been madness all day.

I have nothing to add regarding current wrestling stuff but I have been slowly working my way through this shoot interview with Bam Bam Bigelow. It's refreshing in that he doesn't seem to be overly bitter or intent on revealing scandal after scandal. Just a guy rehashing what was a long, relatively successful career. I miss ol' Flamehead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1BnYa0EGw

Not if the SHIELD, what's left of them, prevents the injustice!

Eh, maybe AJ will screw Cena during the match.

I think during Kamala's You are a man run with Slick/Wippleman. Not entirely sure about his Wizard/Mr. Fuji run.

Hell yeah. Telegraphed as shit because Cena is just horrible, but hell yeah. Now to continue to watch the Patriots fuck over my chance to get in my leagues playoffs.

Shield match had to be one of the greatest this year.

ADR
Face turn was what he needed IMO.

AJ
heel turn and Ziggy winning made it even better.

PPV of the year, except for the Big Chair...

[quote name='mykevermin']1991 or 2001?

rr1991_786x786.jpg

wwfroyrum01ig6.jpg

For reference. The only "off" thing I see is that Kurt Angle appears to be dancing.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you remember the intro to the old Ghostbusters cartoon, but I swear it looks like Angle is doing that kinda dancing down the street.

[quote name='neocisco']I had some issues with the stream as well but I was speaking to the highly improved picture clarity. It was as if the cameras were eyes and they just had their cataracts removed. Much, much better than past PPV's.[/QUOTE]

The last few iPPVs prior to this one had some good clarity to the stream as well. It's just too bad that ROH once again dropped the ball with Final Battle in terms of the stream quality. Yeah it was clear but damn was there a ton of frame dropping going on. It's like as if the PC (or Mac) they were using wasn't able to keep up with its real-time encoding. FYI the same frame skipping is also on the replay. I suspect ROH might end up doing some kind of fixed version for the replay.

On that note R-Truth suffered a pretty nasty injury at TLC. This is NSFW and not for the faint of heart for that matter.

https://twitter.com/RonKillings/status/280517320198197248/photo/1

Feedback to the PPV has been really positive. May have to check it ou. Aj heel turn was pretty telegraphed but the match sounds decent. Shield match sounds fucking insane.

Anyone who watched - did ADR get a good reaction?

[quote name='KaneRobot']Aj heel turn was pretty telegraphed[/QUOTE]

2 things:

1) Good writing can subtly telegraph developments. It's called foreshadowing. Don't mistake me for saying this has been good writing - I've seen enough to know it's detestable - but merely foreshadowing something is not itself a bad thing. ADR's face turn has been going for a bit now (though the circumstances for changing him last night sound fairly underwhelming).

2) I don't recall anyone here saying AJ was going to turn. I could be wrong, but if so, you gotta call it to say "I called it."

Why? Are we keeping score or something?

I didn't even think it was that bad. It was at least mildly subtle during the shows - you had her being overbearing in skits (after they had really been pushing her as sympathetic in skits during weeks prior) and, probably more importantly, she was embarassed by her hated rival that she by all accounts should have beat the shit out of. At least from what I read in the PPV recap, it became a lot less subtle and more a dead giveaway earlier in the night, similar to that stinkfest HiaC Undertaker/Kane match where Bearer turned heel after giving a weird promo earlier in the night.

So yeah, it was pretty obvious it was coming, whether I said anything or not. I'm surely not the only one - at the top of this same page mitch mentions AJ screwing Cena over. You don't have to be incredibly perceptive to anticipate this shit. Just pay attention and know your history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be more clear - you say it was "telegraphed" and, in the context of your sentence, it only makes sense as a criticism. That perhaps it should not have been so obvious. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't read your sentence above as saying anything positive about the foreshadowing of her turn.

I'm saying that foreshadowing is an accepted and very common narrative technique, so I'm unclear why foreshadowing would be, in and of itself, something to criticize. If you remove foreshadowing from any major narrative event - that is, if turns and surprises are random and unanticipated, think about what you end up with:
RUSSO SWERVE!

So I'm not really looking to turn this into some kind of internet pissing contest - just saying that criticizing a television program for foreshadowing something doesn't really make any sense to me. (Particularly when it seems that everything else in the storyline was positively dreadful to begin with.)

I would like to hereby nominate the "Russo Swerve" for a slammy in the catagory of most overused crutch in wrestling since 1999.

Also, I watched the ppv, but for the life of me I can remember exactly how Our Troof got that injury. That wasn't caused by a wrestling hold or move, and as far as I can remember their match wasn't a special stip match....

Oops..didn't see Truth's knee posted :D

Gross.

For AJ - I'm curious if they're actually going to go through with the AJ/Ambrose thing that people seemed so into the idea of a while ago. The announce team even slipped in the word "injustice" during Cena/Ziggler.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Feedback to the PPV has been really positive. May have to check it ou. Aj heel turn was pretty telegraphed but the match sounds decent. Shield match sounds fucking insane.

Anyone who watched - did ADR get a good reaction?[/QUOTE]

Definitely check out the TLC match. Brooklyn was loud and popping all night. Del Rio got a good pop when he came out to save Ricardo from 3MB.

I was shocked by how much I found myself enjoying the ppv last night. I went in expecting dreadful crap and was surprised at how decent the majority of the matches were. I have been hoping for an AJ heel turn where she aligns herself with Dolph and even though she turned on Cena I'm not sure they are going to have her be with Dolph even though IMO it would be good for both characters.

The Shield match was the best of the night just ahead of the main event. I don't watch much Indy or developmental wrestling at all so this is my first time really seeing the three of them in action. It's hard to judge from a brawling style match like that but from what I've seen they all three look quite competent in the ring (especially Ambrose). I know there's a lot of buzz around him and I am beginning to see why, he reminds me a little of a young Shawn Michaels (his move selling, his facial expressions, his cocky persona). Roman Reigns has the look of a star to me, if he is even half way decent in the ring he could be huge if given the right character. Rollins I am a bit unsure of, he seems good in the ring but his mic skills leave something to be desired, hopefully he can improve over time.

Sandow and Rhodes are great together, I really hope they put the belts on them soon before they lose steam with the fans. I love everything about them except for the name (drop the TEAM crap at the beginning of their name, just call them The Rhodes Scholars DAMNIT!!!).

Antonio Cesaro's push has been handled greatly, I can't believe the WWE didn't screw it up. He looks like a future "top guy" and has brought instant credibility to the United States Championship, arguably more than the IC belt has right now (no offense to Kofi). Him and Sandow, along with at least 2 of the Shield look like a good part of the upper card future of the company. Cena, Orton, and Punk can only wrestle so long before they break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back