The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

Well, guild wars doesn't really require much. My first two years in college I got by playing it with just my laptop which is pretty bad. 1.6 pentium M, 512mb ram, radeon 9000 mobile card.

Have to turn stuff down to medium, but certainly playable.

I played it on integrated graphics on my laptop: turned everything to its lowest. When I got a new laptop with dedicated graphics it was like night and day.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well, guild wars doesn't really require much. My first two years in college I got by playing it with just my laptop which is pretty bad. 1.6 pentium M, 512mb ram, radeon 9000 mobile card.

Have to turn stuff down to medium, but certainly playable.[/QUOTE]

I know it's playable but I'm so used to 1GB of ram that going back is kinda bleh. Actually I will probably get on today and do some leveling on my lower characters. Don't forget to add me crystalklear and PM me whenever you see me on so I can add you.

I should have this today sometime...can't wait to play. Especially now that i have the 4850 :D Tips...guides...suggestions on what/how to play?

[quote name='SynGamer']I should have this today sometime...can't wait to play. Especially now that i have the 4850 :D Tips...guides...suggestions on what/how to play?[/quote]

4850 is overkill for this game. :)

What campaign do you have, Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall? The main differences:

Proph: slowest levelling, most missions, most free skills from skill quests
Factions: fastest levelling, fewest missions, more PvP
Nightfall: in between Proph and Factions in terms of length/levelling, has Heroes (customizable NPC henchmen)

Most first-time players play as Warriors (standard melee class) or Elementalists (standard mage). For your secondary, pick whatever you like, though most like Monk for self-healing.

I'll have Prophecies i believe. I always *want* to play a mage, but find that i somehow get overwhelmed in battle when using magic and end up dying...:p I think i'll give the warrior a go until i'm used to PC gaming again.

As for the 4850, this is my first computer i've build from scratch. ~$450 later, i don't plan on upgrading for a couple years at least.

Elementalists (mages) are usually back-line attackers so you shouldn't rush right into battle. They can get a very large energy pool by putting points into the Energy Storage attribute, but their spells cost quite a bit of energy as well.

A lot of first-time players like taking a Monk secondary with their Warrior. This is good for self-healing, but Warriors have the lowest energy pool so a couple of Monk spells will exhaust their reserves. Stick with Healing Signet.

Eye of the North has no new professions. You get 10 more Heroes: one from each profession, so that's handy. You also get a bunch of PvE-only skills including the infamous Ursan. There are dungeons which are pretty challenging, and new titles to grind for.

I think for around $10-15 it's worth it.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Eye of the North has no new professions. You get 10 more Heroes: one from each profession, so that's handy. You also get a bunch of PvE-only skills including the infamous Ursan. There are dungeons which are pretty challenging, and new titles to grind for.

I think for around $10-15 it's worth it.[/quote]

Agreed and I paid full price for it, I love getting norn bear skills which mesh so well with my warrior. The continued story is cool too, GW:EofN is all about Gwen.;)

So some fellow is trying to put together a weekly MMO thing, and so far the responses all point to Guild Wars.

The guy putting it together doesn't personally like Guild Wars, but the responses to his thread show me that people are still interested in playing if we could get together as a group.

So, I'll probably make this its own topic, but for those who still check this thread, would you be down for getting together and playing once a week? We could do missions or make some elite area groups if most of the people have beaten one or more of the games.

Main goal would to be have fun with other CAGs, so no pressure as far as builds/classes go, we'll just work with whatever we have and do the best we can. We could also do some PvP if people are interested.

Sounds like fun to me, but what do you guys think?

Need a lil help here. So, I want to play guild wars on a new computer. I put the .DAT file on a flash drive, extracted a .exe file, and have a .tmp file as well in the folder. When I click on the .exe file, it doesn't really seem to recognize the fact that a .dat file is in there and still downloads this thing on startup. I have a very slow internet connection so I dont really feel like downloading 2.5GB of stuff which would take probably like 300 hours with my connection which just won't work.

Anyone know why this .DAT file wouldn't work? Is the stuff its downloading now maybe like a patch or something? I mean this file IS VERY old. (Probably a year old already...)

[quote name='crystalklear64']So some fellow is trying to put together a weekly MMO thing, and so far the responses all point to Guild Wars.

So, I'll probably make this its own topic, but for those who still check this thread, would you be down for getting together and playing once a week? We could do missions or make some elite area groups if most of the people have beaten one or more of the games.

Main goal would to be have fun with other CAGs, so no pressure as far as builds/classes go, we'll just work with whatever we have and do the best we can. We could also do some PvP if people are interested.

Sounds like fun to me, but what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I'm interested, and could do something midweek.

The only reason I really stopped (never finished) was due to not being able to get groups together for certain areas. It'd be pretty cool to start up new chars and go through the campaign.

I'd be down for this as well. Quit playing almost 2 years ago simply because I had no one to play with. If some CAG's want to get together and play once a week or on the weekends, I can certainly do that.

If it makes any difference, I only have Guild Wars Factions.

So we're starting new characters? If so, we should do Prophecies because it's the least soloable and we'd be able to continue onto Eye of the North once we finish it.

[quote name='SL4IN']I'd be down for this as well. Quit playing almost 2 years ago simply because I had no one to play with. If some CAG's want to get together and play once a week or on the weekends, I can certainly do that.

If it makes any difference, I only have Guild Wars Factions.[/QUOTE]
Damn. You know there are guilds for a reason?

Long shot here, but me and a friend are getting ready to do some alliance battles taking advantage of the double faction weekend. If anyone sees this you're welcome to join us. (eating dinner atm)

So I'm interested in possibly getting the game but I have a few questions.

*Do any CAGs still play?
*Would you suggest the game? (Is it good?)
*Which chapter is better, Nightfall or Factions?

Do any CAGs still play? At least 1 of us does ;)

Would I suggest it? Depends on your tastes/expectations

Which chapter is better? I like the story of Factions better, however the addition of Heroes you get in Nightfall is a global gameplay bonus too great to be overlooked. Factions grants you access to Alliance Battles which is some of the most fun you can have in PvP imo. Its a tough call. I found Nightfall to be rather boring as far as environments and storyline go. Didn't care for the two classes it added either, but like I said, the addition of Heroes is major to the game. Its like having 3 henchmen you can fully customize with skills, gear, stats, etc. you also can order them individually where to go on the map, and you can manage all their skill usage if you so choose.

That said, if you're getting Guild Wars Platinum to start with, you'll also get Eye of the North, which includes its own heroes.

One more thing to consider. The game is winding down some now. You'll be doing many of the missions on your own in the Original Guild Wars as well as Factions, simply because the people who still play have long since beaten the missions and have moved on to other things like PvP or High-end pve areas. Nightfall still has a decent number of players in it.

I'll be happy to play and help you out when I can, but its gonna help to make a few friends or join a guild that specifies in PvE stuff at least when starting out.

I figure it'll be a decent grind to 20 before I can really find people to play with but I think I can handle that, it takes what, 10 hours maybe? And if I really like the game I'll grab Nightfall as well, thanks for the input.

planning on picking the "everything" edition this week. played the first one years ago, but didn't like it... we'll see if it's any good this time around...

[quote name='oldboy']planning on picking the "everything" edition this week. played the first one years ago, but didn't like it... we'll see if it's any good this time around...[/QUOTE]

The triple pack doesn't come with EotN just so you know.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I figure it'll be a decent grind to 20 before I can really find people to play with but I think I can handle that, it takes what, 10 hours maybe? And if I really like the game I'll grab Nightfall as well, thanks for the input.[/QUOTE]
In the original game, much of the content was scaled so that your level would be appropriate for the area. You'd spend the first 1/3 of the missions reaching level 20, so it was a nice gradual pacing that suited the story well.

In every game since then, apart from maybe 2 or 3 intro missions, the games try to get you to level 20 as fast as possible, as all the missions are designed for level 20 players.

So, it will take you quite a bit longer to reach level 20 in the original Guild Wars, unless you do some powerleveling or something. In any event, simply playing through the game will get you to the level you need to be at the time. There's never a need to grind unless you want to.

Yea and I never felt like it was grinding because there was a nice story to go along with it. None of those find x of y things and bring it back to me. Eye of the North is a good buy but I'd get acquainted to the original story and gameplay first.

[quote name='oldboy']Is this one of those games that has 1-3 licences? I have to wipe my computer so if I install it now, would I be screwed?[/quote]

No. The games you own are tied in to your on-line account, not your PC itself.

-HM

hehe... I picked up the 2nd to the last copy of the "everything" pack from Amazon. (One with the tower art.... Didn't really like the other ones). Checked again just now, and it's sold out.

There's 3 more copies with the other art of that chick in the jungle @ Amazon. Wish I jumped on this when they were $39.99... oh well.

Did anyone else just pick up the game? Mine will be coming in sometime next week if you want to powerlevel/show the noob the ropes..

[quote name='oldboy']hehe... I picked up the 2nd to the last copy of the "everything" pack from Amazon. (One with the tower art.... Didn't really like the other ones). Checked again just now, and it's sold out.

There's 3 more copies with the other art of that chick in the jungle @ Amazon. Wish I jumped on this when they were $39.99... oh well.

Did anyone else just pick up the game? Mine will be coming in sometime next week if you want to powerlevel/show the noob the ropes..[/QUOTE]

I'm ordering it on the 15th, that's when I build my new computer and it was only 15 bucks on newegg so I'll let you know when I get it. We can level together :bouncy:

Maybe get some help from CS64?

When you guys start playing, I'll get back into it. I've been meaning to jump back into the game and I have all expansions so I could do anything.

yea I'll be happy to play with you guys when you get the game. just started going through the nightfall campaign myself trying to see if I like the dervish any better than I used to.

I think I still have people's names in the OP, but whenever you do want to play IGN is:
Crystal Hunnigan

I just use Xfire as my messenger, so if you have that, add me on xfire as well. crystalklear64.

Shipped on 3/17 with an estimated arrival date of 3/25? You kidding me? Better be here quicker.... All of the limited editions with every expansion has now been sold out! Hope everyone who wanted one got one beforehand.

Is the option to just automatically create a level 20 character still available?

[quote name='oldboy']^ damn that was quick[/QUOTE]

Newegg 2 day shipping for free ftw. I get my video card today so I'll be on as soon as I kick the crap out of Crysis.

I am getting back to GW, but doing a project about it.I think I've done 'everything' I wanted to, and decided on my main character so it's grinding titles and gold to buy said titles till GW2.We should have a list of names to add in Friends lists.

bread's done
Back