The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I actually own a full size Cliff Hanger, but it's currently in storage until I can make room inside for it, so I feel your pain on this one. LOL The arcade cab while not overly amazing in the looks department, it was rather unique, as it had a blue/pink color scheme, and silver chrome like T-molding(the only place I've seen these features before). I agree, if they could pull that off, it would be one for the record books, as CH has never seen a version anywhere outside of the arcade original. Even some of the more unique FMV arcade games like Freedom Fighter and The Act have seen versions released, while somewhat different than the original offerings. I have zero idea of who is involved with the "rights" for this, but I'm sure it's a jumbled janky mess to say the least.
I heard the issue is with Hayao Miyazaki, who directed the film that most of the animation was taken from. He apparently wasn't happy with the repurposing of his film, which was done without his permission. I don't know if he seued them, or if would-be porters don't want to get on the bad side of one of animation's most powerful figures. Honestly, I think it's an opportunity to introduce more people to his work. I bought Castle of Caliostro on DVD many years ago because of the Cliffhanger connection. I otherwise would have never even heard of it. I enjoyed it so much I sought out his other worms, like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

HSN is now offering 8-in-1 versions of their Partycade line-up, $100 off today only: https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up-8-in-1-pac-man-partycade-arcade-with-8-games/9647340

Game line-up:

Pac-Man 8-in-1 partycade:

Pacman, Super Pacman, Pacland, Galaxian, Galaga, Dig Dug, Super Xevious and Mappy

Centipede 8-in-1 partycade:

Centipede, Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Liberator, Akka Arrh, Super Breakout, and Avalanche

Ms. Pac-Man 8-in-1 partycade:

Ms, Pacman, Super Pacman, Pacland, PacMania, Dig Dug 2, Galaxian, Galaga, and Dig Dug

HSN is now offering 8-in-1 versions of their Partycade line-up, $100 off today only: https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up-8-in-1-pac-man-partycade-arcade-with-8-games/9647340

Game line-up:

Pac-Man 8-in-1 partycade:
Pacman, Super Pacman, Pacland, Galaxian, Galaga, Dig Dug, Super Xevious and Mappy

Centipede 8-in-1 partycade:
Centipede, Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Liberator, Akka Arrh, Super Breakout, and Avalanche

Ms. Pac-Man 8-in-1 partycade:
Ms, Pacman, Super Pacman, Pacland, PacMania, Dig Dug 2, Galaxian, Galaga, and Dig Dug
For people who have this, is the ms Pac man rom legit? Like classic and no BS speed ups or extea lives? Also is this a good price?

I heard the issue is with Hayao Miyazaki, who directed the film that most of the animation was taken from. He apparently wasn't happy with the repurposing of his film, which was done without his permission. I don't know if he seued them, or if would-be porters don't want to get on the bad side of one of animation's most powerful figures. Honestly, I think it's an opportunity to introduce more people to his work. I bought Castle of Caliostro on DVD many years ago because of the Cliffhanger connection. I otherwise would have never even heard of it. I enjoyed it so much I sought out his other worms, like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.
LOL, my history is similar, as I was introduce to Lupin III specifically because of this game, and even my son now has interest in that character for the same reasons(Recently learned of CH history). I wonder if the director has any ownership in the rights, or if it's a pleasantry being given by someone? Spielberg directed Jaws, and if Universal decides tomorrow to remake, reboot, or otherwise, Spielberg wishes go out the window. Of course Universal still has HUGE respect for him, so they stay clear for those reasons, but not for any legal ones.

I'm pretty sure Stern acquired some form of rights at the time, but how well done, or proper, is anyone's guess? I've never held out much hope to ever see this, as there's way to many "chiefs" in this equation, and not nearly enough Indians. Sadly at the end of the day, it would take a super fan with a huge bankroll to make CH happen, as it's just not worth to most. Even if it could do DL numbers, which is impossible, most of the potential profits would probably have to go to X, Y & Z to get approval, and then what's left?

Scott Pilgrim is finally coming back in to gaming, but the demand made whatever needed to be paid to make it happen, worth it to all involved, and CH just isn't that type of game. Me and you would love it, but probably not many others, especially for the current asking price, for a FMV game that almost no one has any meaningful memories of.

For people who have this, is the ms Pac man rom legit? Like classic and no BS speed ups or extea lives? Also is this a good price?
I don't have the Ms. Pac-Man cab, but from what I've read from others is A1U is using the original "slow" version of Ms. Pac-Man.

Edit: The price is excellent; Other similar form-factor Ms. Pac-Mans A1U sells with 4 games typically go for $150-200. The only negative thing I've heard about the Partycades is that the layout isn't comfortable to play for long sessions.

LOL, my history is similar, as I was introduce to Lupin III specifically because of this game, and even my son now has interest in that character for the same reasons(Recently learned of CH history). I wonder if the director has any ownership in the rights, or if it's a pleasantry being given by someone? Spielberg directed Jaws, and if Universal decides tomorrow to remake, reboot, or otherwise, Spielberg wishes go out the window. Of course Universal still has HUGE respect for him, so they stay clear for those reasons, but not for any legal ones.

I'm pretty sure Stern acquired some form of rights at the time, but how well done, or proper, is anyone's guess? I've never held out much hope to ever see this, as there's way to many "chiefs" in this equation, and not nearly enough Indians. Sadly at the end of the day, it would take a super fan with a huge bankroll to make CH happen, as it's just not worth to most. Even if it could do DL numbers, which is impossible, most of the potential profits would probably have to go to X, Y & Z to get approval, and then what's left?

Scott Pilgrim is finally coming back in to gaming, but the demand made whatever needed to be paid to make it happen, worth it to all involved, and CH just isn't that type of game. Me and you would love it, but probably not many others, especially for the current asking price, for a FMV game that almost no one has any meaningful memories of.
You have the real thing. How did you get it? They're pretty popular, and quite valuable; I've seen discs alone go for a few hundred on Ebay, and that was years ago. As far as New Wave/Quarter Arcade go, I'll be happy if they do SA and/or DL2. I'll do my part to see they sell well, getting in on the Kickstarter this time. Maybe if they sell well, they'll have the confidence to do others, like MACH 3 or Thayer's Quest.

You have the real thing. How did you get it? They're pretty popular, and quite valuable; I've seen discs alone go for a few hundred on Ebay, and that was years ago. As far as New Wave/Quarter Arcade go, I'll be happy if they do SA and/or DL2. I'll do my part to see they sell well, getting in on the Kickstarter this time. Maybe if they sell well, they'll have the confidence to do others, like MACH 3 or Thayer's Quest.
New Wave Toys BF sale is live, and I just grabbed a handful of items. https://newwavetoys.com

I'm sure SA/DL2 are only a matter of time, and I would love to see some more obscure LD offerings, but most of those are so niche, I'm just not sure of the financial likely hood of those happening. MACH 3 had that cool flight stick, and not sure how that would translate, but I'm sure it would be better than the keyboard needed for Thayer's Quest. I would love to see any and all LD games offered, but outside of just a select few(DL being the best), most just aren't that interesting to the consumer buying public at large.

I bought my CH probably over 10 years ago off Ebay during a time when I had a decent disposable income, and I figured it was a once in a lifetime buy(it was fully restored). A friend of mine had a LD for his own planned purchase, and since he never got around to it, I bought his extra disc as well. So I have the one that came with the unit, and at least one extra disc, but I think I bought even one more over the years, but not 100% on that. I've seen a few machines over the years offered, but stuff like this is normally more a local sell, than online, due to shipping cost. So only ever seen a few on Ebay in varying conditions over the years, but yeah, they are very rare.

New Wave Toys BF sale is live, and I just grabbed a handful of items. https://newwavetoys.com

I'm sure SA/DL2 are only a matter of time, and I would love to see some more obscure LD offerings, but most of those are so niche, I'm just not sure of the financial likely hood of those happening. MACH 3 had that cool flight stick, and not sure how that would translate, but I'm sure it would be better than the keyboard needed for Thayer's Quest. I would love to see any and all LD games offered, but outside of just a select few(DL being the best), most just aren't that interesting to the consumer buying public at large.
No accounting for taste, unfortunately, though one of New Wave's upcoming projects is 1942, which wasn't iconic like their current offerings, so things a little more niche might be a possibility. I'd also love to see Time Traveler. The cabinet itself is rather boring, and the game is merely okay, but the "holographics" would generate a lot of attention and interest. It's the sort of thing that can't be duplicated on other platforms. I don't know much about the technology producing this effect, but heard it's rather low tech; evolved from techniques used by theaters in the 19th century.

Those tremendous people at QVC have a beautiful deal on Asteroids and Pac-man Arcade1up stools for $59.16 each with free shipping. Use promo code NEW for a beautiful additional discount of $15. Tremendous deal on some simply beautiful stools! Everyone loves these stools, who wouldn't? Buy them before BidenCat DESTROYS OUR ECONOMY!!!

I'd also love to see Time Traveler.
I would love to see Time Traveler, and I think that is something they may actually be able to pull off, and have it be pretty cool. The only issue I see for that one, is the 1/6 scale, as those holograms were beyond small to begin with, and that was on a HUGE arcade cab. I think the image may be to small, but that's an issue for R&D I suppose, but I think if done right, even though niche, that could sell well for the WOW factor(if it works well?).

Thanks. Been eying that Artcade book.
Yeah, that's a killer book BTW, and I even thought about ordering it again since I have the original, and this is an updated version. But I went down that rabbit hole years ago, so now I just stick with the "first printing", as those end up more desired in the end, even if other copies have expanded information.

Those tremendous people at QVC have a beautiful deal on Asteroids and Pac-man Arcade1up stools for $59.16 each with free shipping. Use promo code NEW for a beautiful additional discount of $15. Tremendous deal on some simply beautiful stools! Everyone loves these stools, who wouldn't? Buy them before BidenCat DESTROYS OUR ECONOMY!!!
Thanks so much for this. Can finally replace my generic Northern Tool stools. Will match great with my Asteroids cab. Will get a 2nd to go with my Space Invaders cab. No chance for a matching Space Invaders stool, since they were never available in the US ... sad panda.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

I would love to see Time Traveler, and I think that is something they may actually be able to pull off, and have it be pretty cool. The only issue I see for that one, is the 1/6 scale, as those holograms were beyond small to begin with, and that was on a HUGE arcade cab. I think the image may be to small, but that's an issue for R&D I suppose, but I think if done right, even though niche, that could sell well for the WOW factor(if it works well?).
True indeed. I wonder if Quarter Arcade's Space Invaders machine will feature the painted backdrop and mirror effect seen in the original. Speaking of which, right now Quarter Arcades are unfortunately full price on Gamestop's early Black Friday deals. However, this is only day 1 of 4. Also, if I remember correctly, the sale last year didn't happen on Black Friday, but during the time period between the end of Thanksgiving and start of Christmas.

True indeed. I wonder if Quarter Arcade's Space Invaders machine will feature the painted backdrop and mirror effect seen in the original. Speaking of which, right now Quarter Arcades are unfortunately full price on Gamestop's early Black Friday deals. However, this is only day 1 of 4. Also, if I remember correctly, the sale last year didn't happen on Black Friday, but during the time period between the end of Thanksgiving and start of Christmas.
I actually posted the deal here last year, and the first day I noticed it, was on that Friday(BF), and it ran through Cyber Monday if memory serves. At the time, I wasn't even looking for a deal, but just checking on GS getting the newest models, and what their pricing would be. Then, not only did they have them for $100, but a few of the newest models for preorders had that price. I'm pretty sure that was some form of mistake, or GS just wanted to try and clear out bigger items not moving in their warehouses. Galaga was brand new, and had just gone live that week on the site and Mrs. Pac-man was the next game due any day at the time, and both saw the discount. That would be like getting a PS5 this week for a discount, WTF!? Mistake or not, I took advantage. LOL

I would assume Space Invaders will be spot on, as being 1/4 scale instead of 1/6, pretty much allows for the finest of details the Replicades might not. And I love the Replicades, as Centipede was damn near perfect at that size, but Tempest being 1/6 scale, made the spinner less than perfect, and not really the proper size to go with the unit. That's why I would prefer any games with "special needs" like a Tron or something, would be better from Quarter Arcade, as nothing New Wave could offer will be close to right at 1/6. That being said, they nailed the Joystick and 6 buttons on that Street Fighter, and while not ideal, functions better than some arcade machines I've used over the years. I just order a few extra from their BF sale, as that mini joystick is just to cool.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-40th-anniversary-pac-man-special-edition-arcade-game-machine-pac-man-woodgrain-white/6405319.p?skuId=6405319

Hard for me to spend $500 on this but I think I will open a credit card with one of those spend $500 get $200 cash back deal. So is this worth $300?

I probably wouldn't do it for myself but my spouse is a huge Galaga fan and enjoys PacMan as well. Plus I think my 4yo will get a kick out of it. Seems like a better deal than the Walmart 40th version...

Edit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nba-Pacman-40th-Arcade-Without-Riser/870667743

Thoughts on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-40th-anniversary-pac-man-special-edition-arcade-game-machine-pac-man-woodgrain-white/6405319.p?skuId=6405319

Hard for me to spend $500 on this but I think I will open a credit card with one of those spend $500 get $200 cash back deal. So is this worth $300?

I probably wouldn't do it for myself but my spouse is a huge Galaga fan and enjoys PacMan as well. Plus I think my 4yo will get a kick out of it. Seems like a better deal than the Walmart 40th version...

Edit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nba-Pacman-40th-Arcade-Without-Riser/870667743
Walmart also has a version with the riser and light-up marquee for $400: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacman-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Arcade-Machine-Arcade1Up/747431257

As for the Best Buy version, you're paying an extra $100 for a bar stool and a light up deck protector. It's up to you if you feel that's worth the extra $100 cost. From the review videos I've seen on Youtube, I'm unimpressed with the light up deck protector. I would've preferred the Best Buy version come with extra games or authentic Sanwa controls.

I actually posted the deal here last year, and the first day I noticed it, was on that Friday(BF), and it ran through Cyber Monday if memory serves. At the time, I wasn't even looking for a deal, but just checking on GS getting the newest models, and what their pricing would be. Then, not only did they have them for $100, but a few of the newest models for preorders had that price. I'm pretty sure that was some form of mistake, or GS just wanted to try and clear out bigger items not moving in their warehouses. Galaga was brand new, and had just gone live that week on the site and Mrs. Pac-man was the next game due any day at the time, and both saw the discount. That would be like getting a PS5 this week for a discount, WTF!? Mistake or not, I took advantage. LOL

I would assume Space Invaders will be spot on, as being 1/4 scale instead of 1/6, pretty much allows for the finest of details the Replicades might not. And I love the Replicades, as Centipede was damn near perfect at that size, but Tempest being 1/6 scale, made the spinner less than perfect, and not really the proper size to go with the unit. That's why I would prefer any games with "special needs" like a Tron or something, would be better from Quarter Arcade, as nothing New Wave could offer will be close to right at 1/6. That being said, they nailed the Joystick and 6 buttons on that Street Fighter, and while not ideal, functions better than some arcade machines I've used over the years. I just order a few extra from their BF sale, as that mini joystick is just to cool.
I heard that some Replicade cabs have control issues due to the small size. Tempest's controller was out of scale so it could be manipulated (though a correct sized version is also included, for purists). I suppose it was a miracle that Street Fighter was done at all, but only has one set of controls, a major (if unavoidable) inaccuracy. A plug in set for two player games allows that part of the gameplay to be left intact, and playing side by side would be nigh impossible were there two sets of controls on the cab, but the thing still isn't authentic to the original. A Quarter Arcade version could probably accommodate two sets of controls, though whether it would be practical to have two people crowd so close together is another story. Kind of wish it was reversed, as the Quarter Arcade machines, for the most part, would work fine at 1/6th scale. Meanwhile, the Replicades would benefit from being larger.

Kind of wish it was reversed, as the Quarter Arcade machines, for the most part, would work fine at 1/6th scale. Meanwhile, the Replicades would benefit from being larger.
Yep, this is very true, as QA is just doing up down, left and right and fire at this point, while Replicades seem to be doing more obscure control schemes(rotary dial, 6 button, trackball, etc.). That smaller nob for Tempest was still to big and was pretty much non functional due to it's size, so that was for display only, which was fine, as I have a full size Tempest in storage as well(the only other full size I own, and 2 cocktails). I bought New Wave's to show support, and hopefully to see better games like we have seen, as Tempest was always going to be a "less than" option for me. As the display was just as important as the rotary dial, and while both worked, they fell short of what made Tempest what it was in the arcade. Which is why I bought an arcade cab, as emulation just doesn't due that game justice.

SF2 was a cool trade off, at least for me, as two sets of controls on a unit that small was never going to work even if they had room. So offering 2 USB ports, to add a joystick or pad was the best option, as two people can much better share the one screen, so long as no one is using the front controls. Not ideal, but usable, especially for some quick SF smack-downs. LOL Track & Field from QA should be pretty good, but SF2 even with them was going to have issues, just because of how heavy handed some can be with the controls. But it for sure would have been better at 1/4 VS. 1/6 scale, no question.

Yep, this is very true, as QA is just doing up down, left and right and fire at this point, while Replicades seem to be doing more obscure control schemes(rotary dial, 6 button, trackball, etc.). That smaller nob for Tempest was still to big and was pretty much non functional due to it's size, so that was for display only, which was fine, as I have a full size Tempest in storage as well(the only other full size I own, and 2 cocktails). I bought New Wave's to show support, and hopefully to see better games like we have seen, as Tempest was always going to be a "less than" option for me. As the display was just as important as the rotary dial, and while both worked, they fell short of what made Tempest what it was in the arcade. Which is why I bought an arcade cab, as emulation just doesn't due that game justice.

SF2 was a cool trade off, at least for me, as two sets of controls on a unit that small was never going to work even if they had room. So offering 2 USB ports, to add a joystick or pad was the best option, as two people can much better share the one screen, so long as no one is using the front controls. Not ideal, but usable, especially for some quick SF smack-downs. LOL Track & Field from QA should be pretty good, but SF2 even with them was going to have issues, just because of how heavy handed some can be with the controls. But it for sure would have been better at 1/4 VS. 1/6 scale, no question.
You are lucky indeed! A Cliff Hanger, Tempest, and two cocktail tables! What are the two cocktails? As for multiple players on one unit, I'd like to see how well Bubble Bobble accomplishes that. It's simple compared to SFII; less demanding of space but I wonder if two players can comfortably use the same unit at once. I managed to play two player on the Coleco tabletop version of Pac-Man just fine, and that's about half the size of this unit. Of course, I was much younger and smaller then, as were the people I played with.

You are lucky indeed! A Cliff Hanger, Tempest, and two cocktail tables! What are the two cocktails? As for multiple players on one unit, I'd like to see how well Bubble Bobble accomplishes that. It's simple compared to SFII; less demanding of space but I wonder if two players can comfortably use the same unit at once. I managed to play two player on the Coleco tabletop version of Pac-Man just fine, and that's about half the size of this unit. Of course, I was much younger and smaller then, as were the people I played with.
The 1/4 scale is the perfect size, at least it has been for the single player and alternate 2 player games(It can be used without major compromises needing to be made). I never really had any plans to use these for 2 players co-op, as it never seemed feasible, and my main draws to these is the games being authentic for display purposes. It's just icing on the cake when SF was actually very playable, just not ideal, but cool to have the option to play it as is.

Those Coleco games were the best(not really, but for the time, amazing), and one of the few toys from my childhood, that I never received as a gift. I bought a whole set as an adult, but sold them off years ago when making room and paying down some debts. I recently found the Game & Watch emulator, which actually emulates some of those old Coleco games, great memories. Every time I buy one of these newer units, I think of those old Coleco offerings, and thinking how I wished those would have been this good back then.

My two cocktails are Donkey Kong and a DK Jr., both in rather good condition, especially considering there both original. Neither seem to have seen much use, or appear to have been used in any real bar settings(Thank God). LOL

So I was out with my dad the other day stopping at Walmart and my dad came across a display unit for the Ms. Pacman Arcade1Up. Needless to say he fell in love with it. Think I'm going to pick it up for him for the holidays but was wondering what the best price for this is and what things I should know buying and setting it up for him. This will be my first purchase of an Arcade 1 Up cabinet

Yeah, I actually own a full size Cliff Hanger, but it's currently in storage until I can make room inside for it, so I feel your pain on this one.
Ah, Cliff Hanger... one of my all time favorite laserdisc games. My small town actually had a Chuck E Cheese and they had this game sitting in a corner. Never saw many people playing it but I dumped plenty of tokens in it. It wasn't that the game was that great... it had the same issues as other laserdisc games in that once you get past the glossy surface it's like playing simon without simon there to give you the pattern. Loved the art for the game cab and all of the beautiful animation. Of course when I discovered Lupin the 3rd many years ... maybe a decade even later ... it clicked what that game was. Still, such great use of action sequences.

Lupin III is my favorite anime. Loved these last two modern seasons and even loved "The First" cg movie.

Miyazaki doesn't have any ownership in the movie. Same for Lupin III Part 1.. where he got his first big break. He was hired for those jobs. Additionally the game ALSO used content from The Mystery of Mamo ... which Miyazaki had no part of. Monkey Punch (Kazuhiko Katō).. is the creator of Lupin III... which even he wouldn't have had much say in the game... rather TMS ( Tokyo Movie Shinsha) would have the rights to the actual video content.

A little blurb from the wiki...

"The game was considered for inclusion on the American Blue-ray release of The Castle of Cagliostro by Discotek Media, however, due to an inability to find the original contracts for the game, it was left off the release."

Stern was behind the cabinet... the credits list four developers/programmers that made it (who the devs were likely paid as employees and have no rights). TMS the owner of the video which Discotek already licensed for release... so... the issue would likely fall to Stern. Not sure if Stern outsourced something for the game and that was the issue or what. I'd imagine the announcer audio in the game was fully paid for and Stern would own the license to it as well as the game. Probably the big issue here is what the contracts said between Stern and TMS for the game... I'd imagine Stern was probably trying to get the full royalty for licensing the content even though they likely only had the license for the video content for a fixed period of time. But that's just my guess based on the info out there.

Nicely the whole game is on youtube if you want to just watch it from beginning to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj2GfUr2siY

In response to Miker525:

It's a new unit, so you probably won't be able to get a discount on it.  $300 is the cheapest I've found it in store at Walmart.  You can always buy it with their gift receipt which gives until Jan. to return.  If it goes on sale from now until you give it to him, you should be able to get an adjustment or just return/rebuy.

Set up is a fairly easy one man job.  Just give yourself plenty of room to lay all pieces out and follow the directions closely.  I've put 4 together so far and only one had a slight issue with pieces not aligning perfectly...fixed with a little wiggling and some cussing.  Also, don't use a drill.  It's too easy to rip the panels up by over tightening.

I think the biggest thing to be aware of is the size.  If you've seen the demo unit in store, then you know it's not full sized.  You can make it taller by purchasing a 1up Riser for about $45.  I got a riser for my first unit, but found that I preferred it without one.  I just roll over my cheap office chair and sit in that which is more comfortable for my 48 year old knees.

Good luck!

So I was out with my dad the other day stopping at Walmart and my dad came across a display unit for the Ms. Pacman Arcade1Up. Needless to say he fell in love with it. Think I'm going to pick it up for him for the holidays but was wondering what the best price for this is and what things I should know buying and setting it up for him. This will be my first purchase of an Arcade 1 Up cabinet
Like husher said, cheapest price right now is the $300 basic version at Walmart. The store also sells a $400 with a matching riser and light up marquee for a bit more authentic arcade look. Other stores sell a variation of the $400 Ms Pac-Man cabinet that swaps out Pac-Mania and Pac Man Plus for Dig Dug and Super Pac Man and tack on an extra $50 to the price. The best deal for this version I'm aware of is Kohl's which awards a Kohl's cash coupon. Not as good as money off, but if you have other Christmas shopping to do it could come in handy.

So I'm about to get the @games Legends Gamer Pro SE but this would be my first foray into BYOG. I've never used CoinOpsX or anything like that. I see that people on ebay are selling flash drives with them "preloaded". I've also seen people say not to buy those because you can essentially do that for free, but I have no idea where to get them. Can anyone DM me with some help since part of the topic is probably frowned upon on these boards? If I'm wrong and its free to discuss here then a DM isn't needed. Thanks!

So I'm about to get the @games Legends Gamer Pro SE but this would be my first foray into BYOG. I've never used CoinOpsX or anything like that. I see that people on ebay are selling flash drives with them "preloaded". I've also seen people say not to buy those because you can essentially do that for free, but I have no idea where to get them. Can anyone DM me with some help since part of the topic is probably frowned upon on these boards? If I'm wrong and its free to discuss here then a DM isn't needed. Thanks!
Check out the "Official AtGames Global Arcade Fan Page" group on Facebook. There's lots of people there sharing the secrets.

Ah, Cliff Hanger... one of my all time favorite laserdisc games. My small town actually had a Chuck E Cheese and they had this game sitting in a corner. Never saw many people playing it but I dumped plenty of tokens in it. It wasn't that the game was that great... it had the same issues as other laserdisc games in that once you get past the glossy surface it's like playing simon without simon there to give you the pattern. Loved the art for the game cab and all of the beautiful animation. Of course when I discovered Lupin the 3rd many years ... maybe a decade even later ... it clicked what that game was. Still, such great use of action sequences.

Lupin III is my favorite anime. Loved these last two modern seasons and even loved "The First" cg movie.

Miyazaki doesn't have any ownership in the movie. Same for Lupin III Part 1.. where he got his first big break. He was hired for those jobs. Additionally the game ALSO used content from The Mystery of Mamo ... which Miyazaki had no part of. Monkey Punch (Kazuhiko Katō).. is the creator of Lupin III... which even he wouldn't have had much say in the game... rather TMS ( Tokyo Movie Shinsha) would have the rights to the actual video content.

A little blurb from the wiki...

"The game was considered for inclusion on the American Blue-ray release of The Castle of Cagliostro by Discotek Media, however, due to an inability to find the original contracts for the game, it was left off the release."

Stern was behind the cabinet... the credits list four developers/programmers that made it (who the devs were likely paid as employees and have no rights). TMS the owner of the video which Discotek already licensed for release... so... the issue would likely fall to Stern. Not sure if Stern outsourced something for the game and that was the issue or what. I'd imagine the announcer audio in the game was fully paid for and Stern would own the license to it as well as the game. Probably the big issue here is what the contracts said between Stern and TMS for the game... I'd imagine Stern was probably trying to get the full royalty for licensing the content even though they likely only had the license for the video content for a fixed period of time. But that's just my guess based on the info out there.
Very interesting. I emailed Digital Leasure years ago, asking why they didn't do other games in addition to the Bluth Trilogy. They said the most-requested, after DL, was Cliffhanger, and that they couldn't get the rights. Maybe it is at least in the realm of possibility now.

It wasn't that the game was that great... it had the same issues as other laserdisc games in that once you get past the glossy surface it's like playing simon without simon there to give you the pattern.

I'd imagine Stern was probably trying to get the full royalty for licensing the content even though they likely only had the license for the video content for a fixed period of time. But that's just my guess based on the info out there.
CH did have a dip switch setting to give proper clues after death, but I can't remember if I ever saw it on any of the few machines I saw, or once I learned of DAPHNE(my almost 50 year brain is hazy to say the least). I think the first time I ever saw a cab in person(Del Amo Mall in Torrance CA), I actually saw someone finish it as well. Which was rare even for DL at the time, and CH was 10x more difficult due to lack of proper clues and two action buttons.

Yeah, it was pretty ingenious how they spliced content from several areas to make one game, to save on the cost of having to animate from scratch as Don Bluth had to for DL. I always wondered why CH never had the flashes or clues that DL did, and after learning the history pretty early on, I knew why.

I'm pretty sure your spot on in regards to Stern and the licensing expiring, as that was typical of so much anime from that time period and before. And with several sources being used for this one game, no telling the "who, what or why" of it all? Like I said, someone would have to do some serious work to make this happen(mini arcade, console release, etc.), and I just don't see the interest there to make it worth anyone's time. But I would so support it in whatever way possible if it ever happens, but I'm just not holding my breath.

CH did have a dip switch setting to give proper clues after death, but I can't remember if I ever saw it on any of the few machines I saw, or once I learned of DAPHNE(my almost 50 year brain is hazy to say the least). I think the first time I ever saw a cab in person(Del Amo Mall in Torrance CA), I actually saw someone finish it as well. Which was rare even for DL at the time, and CH was 10x more difficult due to lack of proper clues and two action buttons.

Yeah, it was pretty ingenious how they spliced content from several areas to make one game, to save on the cost of having to animate from scratch as Don Bluth had to for DL. I always wondered why CH never had the flashes or clues that DL did, and after learning the history pretty early on, I knew why.
Watching that video of the entire game, and considering how everything was repurposed, I think they did a really good job. Even the death scenes are convincing. I remember a guy edited the Caliostro and Mamo DVDs so that they were exactly like Cliffhanger's (down to the exact frames), then somehow got that version running in his cabinet. It resulted in the best version of CH ever, since the original transfer to laserdisc was not done well (much more bluish and muted than it was supposed to be). He took this modified CH to several classic gaming shows, but none that I attended.

Watching that video of the entire game, and considering how everything was repurposed, I think they did a really good job. Even the death scenes are convincing. I remember a guy edited the Caliostro and Mamo DVDs so that they were exactly like Cliffhanger's (down to the exact frames), then somehow got that version running in his cabinet. It resulted in the best version of CH ever, since the original transfer to laserdisc was not done well (much more bluish and muted than it was supposed to be). He took this modified CH to several classic gaming shows, but none that I attended.
Yeah, I think I saw that project years ago, or a similar one at least, as that OG footage was garbage and then some. The project I saw, the guy used new digital DVD footage(maybe even blu-ray), and I thought that was amazing. While I had no way to use that footage on a Laser Disc, I could have set my cab up with Daphne, and used the new and improved footage that way.

BTW, I finally got around to checking out my DL Replicade last night, and the video reviews did not over exaggerate, as it is amazing!!! Watching all the reviews, I thought the controls might be bad, as everyone sucked playing the game, but yeah, they just sucked, as the game runs perfect. LOL The details are insane, and I would for sure recommend they stick to more basic games like this, as there's no room for control issues with something like this.

I agree New Wave should swap some ideas with Quarter Arcade, as 1/4 would for sure be better for unique controls, but this DL is near flawless just needing one button on each side and one joystick. For sure my favorite so far, and that goes for my Quarter arcades as well, and those are all amazing as well. That red digital readout for score and lives is spot on, and was probably my favorite feature, as that was unique to these Bluth games in the arcade.

Yeah, I think I saw that project years ago, or a similar one at least, as that OG footage was garbage and then some. The project I saw, the guy used new digital DVD footage(maybe even blu-ray), and I thought that was amazing. While I had no way to use that footage on a Laser Disc, I could have set my cab up with Daphne, and used the new and improved footage that way.

BTW, I finally got around to checking out my DL Replicade last night, and the video reviews did not over exaggerate, as it is amazing!!! Watching all the reviews, I thought the controls might be bad, as everyone sucked playing the game, but yeah, they just sucked, as the game runs perfect. LOL The details are insane, and I would for sure recommend they stick to more basic games like this, as there's no room for control issues with something like this.

I agree New Wave should swap some ideas with Quarter Arcade, as 1/4 would for sure be better for unique controls, but this DL is near flawless just needing one button on each side and one joystick. For sure my favorite so far, and that goes for my Quarter arcades as well, and those are all amazing as well. That red digital readout for score and lives is spot on, and was probably my favorite feature, as that was unique to these Bluth games in the arcade.
That's good to hear. I definitely have to get one, once they become available again. Unless GS surprises us on their actual Black Friday or Cyber Monday (which I doubt - bet last years sale was one of their many glitches they decided to honor anyway) it seems I missed out on my one and only chance to get Quarter Arcades at a decent price. They're probably worth the MSRP, but it's really hard to cough up that much dough knowing I could have had it for much cheaper. I wish I got in on DL when it was a kickstarter, but I had no interest in any of these home cabinets when that deal was offered, so I never came across the notification when it was posted here last year. Nevertheless, I'd rather pay the "stupid tax" than risk it going out of print, and get in on it if they do decide to make Space Ace and/or DL II.

Big Lots has the Capcom Black Series cocktail table in-store for 350. Join their rewards club online and get a 15% off coupon, bringing it down to about 300. 

Nevertheless, I'd rather pay the "stupid tax" than risk it going out of print, and get in on it if they do decide to make Space Ace and/or DL II.
Well, SA used the exact same cab as DL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a prototype of that one ready to go, especially since the DL cab uses Daphne. I just saw on New Wave's Twitter, they have some more DL due to arrive on 12/14, so make sure your signed up for emails and ready to go, as I'm sure they will go quick.

The only Quarter Arcade I'm missing currently is Galaxian. I'm hoping since that one is probably the least desired of the 4 currently available I'll see a discount sooner, rather than later. They also have a 40th Anniversary Pac-Man, standard and there was a LE of 256 units, signed by the Pac-Man creator. I really wanted that one, but it was $300 and I kept going back and forth on if I wanted it, and then it was gone. I should have just gotten one, because even if my funds weren't good at the time, I could have easily flipped it to cover cost of some other units after the fact.

I thought the 40th Anniversary looked cool, but once I start getting these LE models, than I have tons of cabs that don't match my memories of 80's arcades. So I passed on the New Wave Toys arcade "worn" LE Asteroids as well, as I'm like, you want me to pay full price for a cab that looks used? LE or not, that just wasn't for me, but I still may grab the regular Asteroids after the new year, as I do love that cabs art, just not the game so much(hard as hell).

Well, SA used the exact same cab as DL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a prototype of that one ready to go, especially since the DL cab uses Daphne. I just saw on New Wave's Twitter, they have some more DL due to arrive on 12/14, so make sure your signed up for emails and ready to go, as I'm sure they will go quick.

The only Quarter Arcade I'm missing currently is Galaxian. I'm hoping since that one is probably the least desired of the 4 currently available I'll see a discount sooner, rather than later. They also have a 40th Anniversary Pac-Man, standard and there was a LE of 256 units, signed by the Pac-Man creator. I really wanted that one, but it was $300 and I kept going back and forth on if I wanted it, and then it was gone. I should have just gotten one, because even if my funds weren't good at the time, I could have easily flipped it to cover cost of some other units after the fact.

I thought the 40th Anniversary looked cool, but once I start getting these LE models, than I have tons of cabs that don't match my memories of 80's arcades. So I passed on the New Wave Toys arcade "worn" LE Asteroids as well, as I'm like, you want me to pay full price for a cab that looks used? LE or not, that just wasn't for me, but I still may grab the regular Asteroids after the new year, as I do love that cabs art, just not the game so much(hard as hell).
Personally, I prefer cabinets that look like the ones I grew up with, rather than new designs, especially if I already owned the original (like you presumably do). Still, it does look nice, which cannot be said for the original U.S. release Pac-Man cabinet. I heard it was redesigned by Midway from the colorful original Japanese design down to three colors to keep costs down. It also featured the goofy, flipper-footed Pac-Man model that looks nothing like his other depictions. Even the original Japanese cabinet, which preceded the NA release, nailed the look we are familiar with. Of course, the original American release is so iconic, it transcends aesthetics for us. While not nearly as big as a 1UP cab, or original machine, they do take up quite a bit of space. I don't think I would want more than one example of each title.

Galaxian is pretty outdated after Galaga, but the cabinet looks nice - in most ways better than its more popular brother.

As for DL, I've signed up on the email list, and will definitely be paying extra attention as the 14th approaches. Thanks for the heads up.

Asteroids, though dated by other shooters, still manages to hold onto its unique identity. Not sure how well a vector game loaded with small objects will play on such a tiny machine, though (I assume they're not using actual vector monitors, even though that would be really awesome).

LOL, great minds think alike, as I would have preferred the OG Japanese release of Pac-Man as well(Puck-Man FTW), as I thought that would have been a better 40 anniversary version. I would really like to see some offerings from other regions as well, as many of those had unique art in the same way we get different box art for our games worldwide.

Tempest looked good enough, so I don't think Asteroids should be to bad, but that is a 100% button controlled game, so no telling how well that will work either(buttons are way small)? If I get my funds straight in the new year, I'll for sure grab one, as I do love the cab in general, I just sucked at the game. LOL

EDIT: I still might get that 40th anniversary Pac-Man, as it looks cool, but only for a good discount. If they would have offered a version of the Japanese version signed by the creator, I would have ordered day 1, but I just didn't have a connection to that new version(even having it signed). 

LOL, great minds think alike, as I would have preferred the OG Japanese release of Pac-Man as well(Puck-Man FTW), as I thought that would have been a better 40 anniversary version. I would really like to see some offerings from other regions as well, as many of those had unique art in the same way we get different box art for our games worldwide.

Tempest looked good enough, so I don't think Asteroids should be to bad, but that is a 100% button controlled game, so no telling how well that will work either(buttons are way small)? If I get my funds straight in the new year, I'll for sure grab one, as I do love the cab in general, I just sucked at the game. LOL

EDIT: I still might get that 40th anniversary Pac-Man, as it looks cool, but only for a good discount. If they would have offered a version of the Japanese version signed by the creator, I would have ordered day 1, but I just didn't have a connection to that new version(even having it signed).
Doubt it will ever be discounted, as it is a limited edition product, unless someone has a blanket Quarter Arcade sale like they did last year. BTW, do you know how much shipping rates are from Replicade? The free shipping offer will be long expired by DL's expected restock on Dec. 14th.

Doubt it will ever be discounted, as it is a limited edition product, unless someone has a blanket Quarter Arcade sale like they did last year. BTW, do you know how much shipping rates are from Replicade? The free shipping offer will be long expired by DL's expected restock on Dec. 14th.
Yeah, all the Replicade deals have had free shipping I believe, and if I ever paid shipping, I for sure don't remember what it was. The BF deals currently running, I met their free shipping cap for free shipping, so I can't even say for my recent order either.

That 40th Anniversary Pac-Man was only limited for the signed edition, as the standard is just a normal run like the others besides the OG Pac-Man. That first Pac-Man was the only other LE with a set number, but they have had that one discounted on their site at least once, as I bought one of my two machines when it was on sale. It also had a HUGE run, of 10,000 I believe, and I thought that was insane when they announced it, as this is a niche market. So they are still selling those I believe, and it's been 2 years already, or it may have just finally sold out recently.

Yeah, all the Replicade deals have had free shipping I believe, and if I ever paid shipping, I for sure don't remember what it was. The BF deals currently running, I met their free shipping cap for free shipping, so I can't even say for my recent order either.

That 40th Anniversary Pac-Man was only limited for the signed edition, as the standard is just a normal run like the others besides the OG Pac-Man. That first Pac-Man was the only other LE with a set number, but they have had that one discounted on their site at least once, as I bought one of my two machines when it was on sale. It also had a HUGE run, of 10,000 I believe, and I thought that was insane when they announced it, as this is a niche market. So they are still selling those I believe, and it's been 2 years already, or it may have just finally sold out recently.
Pac-Man and Galaga have been sold out on GS for a long time, though Pac-Man can still be found at other retailers linked to on the Numskull site. Very disappointing that there wasn't a sale on these, but this has been THE year for lovers of disappointment. Replicade must produce far fewer units, as their cabs (with the exception of DL, for now) are long gone, save Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers with ridiculous markups.

Pac-Man and Galaga have been sold out on GS for a long time, though Pac-Man can still be found at other retailers linked to on the Numskull site. Very disappointing that there wasn't a sale on these, but this has been THE year for lovers of disappointment. Replicade must produce far fewer units, as their cabs (with the exception of DL, for now) are long gone, save Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers with ridiculous markups.
Yeah, the Replicades SF & Tempest just sold out in the last month or so, as I got emails from NWT stating stock was limited, and buy now, or not at all. Centipede went awhile back, but that was first and had good reviews, but it lasted ages as well. The Replicades were also all spread out over time, and more likely to be bought due to there lower cost.

The Quarter Arcade Ms Pac, Galaxian and Galaga all got released within 1-2 months of one another(last year), which meant not everyone could buy them at the same time($150-$200). If not for the $100 I got them for, I wouldn't have gotten what I did, and that's why I'm still waiting on Galaxian. The only Galaxian deal I've heard of was from Walmart, and while they used to carry them all, it seems Pac-Man is all that's left. These also take up way more space than the Replicade, so most retailers probably don't want a niche item like this taking up space, due to slower sells.

But if I had to guess, I would say both are dealing in similar numbers, but Replicade is cheaper, and for something like DL, offers just as much detail at a lower price than QA(shipping is much cheaper as well). Both are well worth their prospective asking price, but both are a hard sell to anyone who isn't a diehard 80's arcade kid. As you can get bigger more full size A1Up for less in many cases, and that seems more inviting to most, especially for those who don't care for arcade accuracy.

bread's done
Back