The "How long will it take to complete this game?" thread

Here are some of my times to add to the list or average in. I typically take longer to finish a game than most people. Also, with RPG’s I tend to do some of the side quests, but not all. For example in Final Fantasy X, I went after some of the characters' ultimate weapons, but not all. And in Baten Kaitos, I did the star map and animal side quests, but not the family tree one. That said, I'm guessing the hours listed below will be a bit on the higher side, but do not necessarily represent finishing the game 100%.

PS1
Final Fantasy 5 (Anthology) - 34
Final Fantasy 6 (Anthology) - 37
Final Fantasy 7 - 62
Final Fantasy 8 - 65
Final Fantasy 9 - 62

PS2
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - 12
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - 11
Final Fantasy X - 83
Final Fantasy X2 - 42
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 11
Ratchet & Clank - 26
Ratchet & Clank 2 - 25

GC
Baten Kaitos - 72
Star Fox Adventures - 18

updated bump.

Frankly, I've never thought of anyone using this thread for bragging. Since I didn't credit anyone with any times, no one can tell who did the times. I don't think anyone (other than me, in order to update the OP) would scan each post to see who had the best times.

Just because we play at different speeds doesn't mean that these are bad approximations. If the times seem a bit skewed (like the KH and some of the times that people admitted they took longer then normal) I post more than one time (if available) so people have an idea of what to expect.

This is not a bragging session, it's to help CAGs reduce their backlogs and actually play their games.

Let's just stop the hate and get back to posting times.

MORE!

Just beat Eternal Darkness on the first playthrough in about 14 hours if you include restarts (I take longer than most to do things because I kill everything and talk a LOT). To beat the game w/ all 3 "colors" I'd say it will take about 26-28 hours as the next 2 playthroughs are essentially the same, and therefore much quicker...

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Jade Empire took me just under 14 hours to complete will all side quests complete and most things done in the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but if you did all the side quests as you claim, there is no way you could have stopped and actually absorbed what you were doing and post such a low time without some sort of knowledge of what to do beforehand.

Sure, I could run throght the game now knowing what I know of the quests and run a pretty close time to 14 hours completing every quest, but that would be from beating it once. Unless you had the strategy guide in your lap, a first-time run through of the game without poring over the strategy guide beforehand is not probable in 14 hours.

Your right in the fact that your level should be about 22-23 if you complete all the side quests. I kept the scholar's gem on when I read every scroll or book to gain the +100% exp, and completed all the quests to hit level 23 near the end with a total game time of 29 hours. All in all, I'd say I spent maybe 5-6 hours of that backtracking or exploring where I could which in essence, was wasted time.

Hey, if you can beat a game as lush and deep as Jade Empire in 14 hours without already knowing what to do on your 1st try - more power to you bro, you're either skilled or very lucky.

A realistic time to me without pausing and using a guide to see where to go next to minimize wandering would be 24 hours. That my opinoin for what it's worth.

[quote name='Hunting Falcon']I'm sorry, but if you did all the side quests as you claim, there is no way you could have stopped and actually absorbed what you were doing and post such a low time without some sort of knowledge of what to do beforehand.

Sure, I could run throght the game now knowing what I know of the quests and run a pretty close time to 14 hours completing every quest, but that would be from beating it once. Unless you had the strategy guide in your lap, a first-time run through of the game without poring over the strategy guide beforehand is not probable in 14 hours.

Your right in the fact that your level should be about 22-23 if you complete all the side quests. I kept the scholar's gem on when I read every scroll or book to gain the +100% exp, and completed all the quests to hit level 23 near the end with a total game time of 29 hours. All in all, I'd say I spent maybe 5-6 hours of that backtracking or exploring where I could which in essence, was wasted time.

Hey, if you can beat a game as lush and deep as Jade Empire in 14 hours without already knowing what to do on your 1st try - more power to you bro, you're either skilled or very lucky.

A realistic time to me without pausing and using a guide to see where to go next to minimize wandering would be 24 hours. That my opinoin for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Ok, you caught me, I lied, it really took me 56 hours but I figured this was a pissing contest and I had to get the best time. You made me feel like less of a man, are you happy now?

By the way, look around, 14 hours is not a long amount of time to beat that game, most people are semi-complaining about how short it is. Maybe it helps that the game was rediculously easy, most of the sidequests were just walking from one person to another in town, and the last 3 chapters took about 2 hours total to complete.

Ahhhh, can't we take the times as is? It just takes some people longer than others. It takes me a long time usually to finish games. I've accepted it.

I always thought this thread had sort of a 'YMMV' deal to it. The amount of time spent on most games can vary widely, depending on someones playstyle. Rather than saying things like "No way you beat it in 10 hours!" or "You took 30 hours? L@m3R!", why not a little note briefly describing your playstyle--do you aim for finishing the story, do you wander the world, are you a completist, do you use faqs/walkthroughs, what percentage completion you ended at, etc.
If someone says 10 hours, and I get 13 or 7, it's not the end of the world--all I'm looking for is a ballpark figure, within maybe 5 hours either way.
It usually takes me a little longer than the 'pro' gamers, and I take that into account when I see these estimates.

wow, almost seems like a flame war. I actually like the way this thread was going till people started claiming people are lying/bragging. Who cares. The more times the better. I'm one of those guys that play like time attack players. Which means you dont have to kill everything on the screen to beat the game. I use to be like that when i was little and would spend so much time trying to kill incredibly hard enemies and i would die and restart and then die again.

I've been playing rpgs for a very long time and realize that fighting "smarter not harder" is better than spending mass amounts of time fighting every little thing that moves. Till you flamers realize that, you should instead learn that critizing others for your stubborn game play technique is pretty childish, so i suggest if you really want to help post your times.

Let me repeat it for you gamers that are too "slow", "post your own times to help this thread".

Well I guess I'll ressurect this thread:
1.) Time to beat Metal Gear Ac!d?
-Preferably not rushing, just playing through with getting different cards in mind.
2.) Time to beat Sword of Mana GBA?

My contribution:
Devil May Cry - 5 Hours Normal.

Ratchet and Clank only took 25 hours? I might have to put this next in my play order then. I spent about 35 hours on the first one (and loved every minute) but I didn't want to spend that much time on the sequel until I had played some other stuff. If it's shorter then I should bump it up a few spot.

I don't have much to contribute to the thread right now after my huge post from page 3. Currently, I'm working on Stella Deus, Guilty Gear X2, Star Ocean 3, and Burnout 3. I'll post back when I'm done but I can give estimates at least.

Burnout 3 might take 10 ~ 15 hours to complete. I've been enjoying it considering I normally don't like racing games.

Guilty Gear X2 might take me 50 hours to get good enough to beat all the missions and story paths for all the characters. I suck at fighting games so take that as you will. I only recently figured out how to beat boss I-No (after 10 hours in).

Stella Deus might take 40 ~ 50 hours to beat. I don't know how long the optional stuff is yet but I'm more then halfway through the story at 30 hours.

Star Ocean I just started so I have no idea. The inventing aspect seems like it could be a big timesink. Plus this game actually takes up 2 DVDs. I've never seen a game that needed that much space before.

Just finished Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick. Don't laugh, it wasn't as shitty as I thought, plus it only cost $1.99. Anyway, took about 7 or 8 hours to finish, but this is an estimate because there isn't a counter etc.

Well, this thread certainly hasn't gone anywhere lately...

Anyhow, finally got another one to add:

Gungrave OD: 5 hours 30 min. on first play through. I did pause it at one time for about an hour (got distracted by something shiny) and I'm not sure if the clock kept ticking so I'll go ahead and say 4-6 hours.

After you beat it there are 2 additional characters and a harder difficulty that are unlocked. There's no way I'm playing through it again though, the clunky controls and wonky camera are more cause for your loss of health than your enemies accuracy. This game would have been exponentially better if they had adopted a Max Payne/FPS type controller configuration with strafing/aiming divvied up between the 2 sticks.

Sorry to go off on a tangent...but it was quite frustrating. Why make a fast paced 3rd person shooter in which not only is it as hard to turn around as it was in Resident Evil, but you actually have a button designated for a quick 180 turnaround...? How did they play this while still in development and actually think "yep, that'll do." ...?

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne-- it's hard to say...there's like 6 different endings and many optional events, but you can't really say what is optional and what isn't, because it depends on the path you take through the game. (lots of nice, open ended gameplay for real, unlike a lot of rpgs claim to have)

no guide-- probably 60-80

with the guide and no sidequests-- around 40-50

with the guide and sidequests/secrets-- around 80

Next month I plan to have a Gaming Master's competition at one of my local malls. I would like to hear some suggestions on some good gaming master competition games that are fun, may keep people interested, and short to complete. I have been out of the gaming scene for awhile, so I really need some help. The only games I can think of are Sonic The Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe lol. I am not asking for racing games, fighting games, etc, where people verse each other in. I just would like some suggestions on games that can prove if a person is good at gaming in a short amount of time. Please tell me the game and the system.

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

My initial run, getting all the guns up to level 5, finding some of the secrets (but not all), I clocked in at 12:51. Can probably minus an hour or so from leaving it on pause... what a great 12 hours it was.

finished kingdom hearts the first time and it took me about 21 hours and some off minutes. i didn't do all the sidequests but i tried my best.

i also finished god of war the first time through and it took me around 8 hours. this was some of the best 8 hours that i spent on a game.

Bringing it back from the dead. :D

I finished Paper Mario N64 in about 30 hours, did some sidequests, but didn't finish it 100%.

Shadow Hearts in about 27 hours, some sidequests, but not all. I think I could have done everything in another 5 hours.

Well these have probably been posted multiple times so far, but oh well

Jade Empire (did nearly every quest) - 22-24 hours
God of War - 8-10 hours on normal
Final Fantasy 7 - multiple playthroughs, average of 40-45, slower playthrough nearing the 50's
Final Fantasy 8 - same as FF7, averaged around 40
Final Fantasy Tactics - 50+, could easily go higher
KOTOR: I think both of my playthroughs were around 30

Requests:
Tales of Destiny 2
Lunar: SSSC
Breath of Fire 3
Brave Fencer Musashi
Valkyrie Profile
Growlanser Generations (I saw someone posted a G2 time around 12-14 or so, is it really that short?)

I forgot to add Stella Deus - 40 hours (did a good amount of the side quests, got legendary weapons, recruited a couple of the secret chars, cleared through level 50 of the catacombs)

[quote name='Apossum']Metroid Zero Mission-- ~7 hours w/out heavy searches.[/QUOTE]
My first run through was about 4 hours at ~60%. My first 100% run took almost 8 hours.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I forgot to add Stella Deus - 40 hours (did a good amount of the side quests, got legendary weapons, recruited a couple of the secret chars, cleared through level 50 of the catacombs)[/QUOTE]

That doesn't seem so long. I thought it'd take longer, so this is actually good news since I'm currently playing it. Thanks jfunk.

Growlanser 2 can be pretty short; I'll load my last save and see, but I think I did it in 15-18 on the clock. Probably add a couple hours if you want to retry battles for Mission Complete instead of Mission Clear, and I didn't do all the sidequests, but I did do a lot of backtracking.

Requests:
PS2:
Klonoa 2 Lunateas Veil
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Giants Citizen Kabuto

I need to beat a game or two, I'm in the middle of about 4 RPGs with a couple more on deck, which is a bad place to be.

[quote name='dtcarson']Requests: Giants Citizen Kabuto[/QUOTE]

Giants isn't too long. It's been a while but I'd say around 8-10 hours. Funny cutscenes if you dig the whole British humour thing...

Yeah, so far I'm enjoying the humor in Giants. It takes *forever* to save a game, however, and that's annoying; I also wish there were a 'minimap' or map overlay option. I got stuck last night on like mission three [yes I suck], there was a huge gate right in front of where I thought I was supposed to go.

Anyway, I reloaded my last Growlanser II save, and it was actually at about 23 hours. Actual game play is probably +/- 3/4 hours; I replayed some missions when I knew I could do better, and I left it running sometimes while I handled something in real life. I didn't do every sidequest, but I did visit each town after every event, so that probably added some time as well. Call it 25 hours and you'd be pretty close.
Just started Growlanser III, and while I like it, I prefer some of the features from GII better I prefer the towns-as-dots-on-the-map thing, like in FFT, better than the free-roaming world map. And it seems like I knew where I was supposed to be going more in GII, possibly as a consequence of the map methodology.

Digital Devil Saga - just under 40 hours, no sidequests. To do everything you have to beat the game twice, and I'm just not gonna do that right now.

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - between 35 and 40 hours with most sidequests--probably 45-50 to do everything.

Final Fantasy II (Dawn of Souls) - it took me around 27 hours to beat, but I took my time leveling my characters. I haven't played any of the extras yet.

Final Fantasy VI - Completing all the extras, "mastering" all Espers for each character, and leveling almost all characters to 99 took me about 75 hours. I spent several hours trying to get Shadow's final dream sequence.

Onimusha took me about 4 hours, not including deaths. I went a little fast, and would like to go for a better rank.

Suikoden, without worrying about recruiting all 108 stars, takes about 18-20 hours.

Suikoden III took me almost 70 hours without recruiting all the stars, but I wasn't using a walkthrough.

Suikoden IV took a little over 30, using a walkthrough to get all 108 stars. If I were to fight the optional bosses, level my characters, and play the minigames, I imagine I could easily spend twice that time.

xenosaga 2 82 hours complete, all side quest and extra bosses with no strategy guide or anything. thats also why i missed a couple awakenings. but other than that.

X-Men Legends (PS2)?

I'm at about 38 in DDS, about to finish the next-to-last dungeon, but the boss is kicking my butt repeatedly : (

This thread seems a bit more geared toward RPGs, of which I'm far from current. But here are the ones I remember from my sojourn into those types of games in years past, and a metric assload of others:

Final Fantasy 6: 32 hrs w/ no idea how much I DIDN'T do, percentage-wise
FF7: 63 hrs complete except for Emerald/Ruby Weapons (screw them, life is short)
FF8: 56 hrs, ridiculously complete (all ultimate weapons/abilities, and my WEAKEST character - Selphie - at Level freaking 88. Yes, eighty-eight)
FF9: 42 hrs, no reliable idea how complete
FF10: 45 hrs, sphere grid stacked for all characters without much overlap on the grid, character-to-character

Xenogears: 58 hrs
Vagrant Story: 20-22 hrs, with just a marginal amount of weapon-forging
Lunar: SSSC: 32 hrs, no memory of how complete
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete: 30 hrs, also no reliable memory

Shenmue: 30-35 hrs, with a pathetically small amount of moves learned or training done (which I paid for dearly in the final battle)
Shenmue 2: 35-40 hrs

Parasite Eve: 11 hrs

Eternal Darkness: 15 hrs for one path, add maybe 10-12 more hours for clearing all three paths
Zelda: Wind Waker: 25 hrs, all heart containers/pieces
Metroid Prime: 22 hrs with 100% Item Collection
Metroid Prime 2: 18 hrs with 99% Item Collection (damned last missile expansion!)

Pikmin: 12-15 hrs
Beyond Good and Evil: 13 hrs, with a half-assed effort at some of the side-stuff but far from complete

GTA3: 50 hrs, all missions cleared, and about 60% completion percentage
GTA:VC: 65 hrs, all missions cleared, and about 70% completion percentage
GTA:SA: 75 hrs, all missions cleared, and about 75% completion percentage

Ico: 8 hrs, but damned if they weren't eight of the BEST hours I've had as a gamer

Jak and Daxter: TPL: 16 hrs with 101% collection rate
Jak 2: 24 hrs, with tufts of my own hair in my frustrated gripped hands all the way

Katamari Damacy: 8 hours, but I second the opinion stated before that the replay value is immense

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil: 13 hrs

Metal Gear Solid 2: 17 hrs
Metal Gear Solid 3: 28 hrs (I took my sweet, sweet time with this one)

Prince of Persia: SoT: 12 hrs, most (all?) sand upgrades
Prince of Persia: WW: 14 hrs, all sand upgrades

Ratchet and Clank: 16 hrs
Ratchet and Clank 2: 18 hrs

XIII: 17 hrs
Second Sight: 7 hrs

the end

Anyone know these?

Otogi Xbox
Otogi 2 Xbox
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Xbox
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga GBA

Here's a couple of sad ones that I have never beaten, despite beating hundreds of games, that I would like to know the length to please.

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past SNES
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask N64
Chrono Trigger (FF Anthology) PSX

and Here's some ones I can add that I haven't noticed yet

Maximo PS2 15 hours
Maximo vs Army of Zin PS2 about 12 hours
Sonic Adventure Dreamcast 10 hours
Sonic Adventure 2 Dreamcast (finished with Shadow and Sonic) 15 hours
Headhunter Dreamcast or PS2 12 hours
Headhunter Redemption Xbox 16-20 hours (actually ended up being decent)
Jet Grind Radio Dreamcast 15 hours
Jet Grind Radio Future Xbox 12 hours
All Silent Hills 1-4 app. 10-12 hours
Max Payne 1 PS2 10 hours
Max Payne 2 PS2 6 hours (too short, but good)

Growlanser III - about 33-35 hours. Didn't rush through, didn't complete every sidequest, but did try to clean out/explore every dungeon.

Makai Kingdom - 25 hours to complete the story, maybe 80 hours to complete all optional stuff judging by the rate I'm going at now in preparing for the post-game. The story is shorter then Disgaea and feels rushed.

Ys: The Ark of the Napishtim - 13 hours to complete in normal mode. Short but sweet. I love many of the voice actors in this game.

To answer some posts above me:
Chrono Trigger - I seem to recall it took me 30 hours on the SNES but I was just a kid back then. Getting all the endings might add another 5 hours. Getting the bronze fist for Ayla could easily double your time.

Tales of Destiny 2 - It was 40 hours well spent. Definitely a very fun game. I don't remember much in the way of optional stuff though, it's been a while since I played it.

X-Men Legends - 22 hours with a friend playing along for about half the game. Once I finished I had no desire to ever play it again. I guess I'm just not really into the hack and slash RPGs.

Anyone have an estimate for Front Mission 3 for PSX?

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past SNES
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask N64
Chrono Trigger (FF Anthology) PSX

If you know exactly what to do and exactly where to go in Link to the Past, and play it straight through as fast as possible, it could probobly be done in under 3 hours. Chrono Trigger could probobly be played through in about 12-15.

I don't see how you can really say on Mega Man Anniversary Collection, it depends on how good you are at Mega Man games.

Like me personally I suck at them and usually die a hundred times and it takes me forever to beat any of them. But my cousin (also my roommate) blazes right through all of them with no problem.

Plus you're talking about 8 different games in one, no way to really put a time frame on that one.

A few more additions.

Armed and Dangerous - ~15 hours
Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf - ~5 hours
Wallace and Gromit in Project Zoo - ~10 hours

[quote name='Chris Dillon']How about LOTR Third Age[/QUOTE]

It took me just over 23 hours to complete the Good quests in LOTR The Third Age. It wasn't worth bothering with the evil stuff.

It wasn't too bad for a $10 game :)

Some times I guess you can all add,

Suikoden 35
Suikoden II 50 (both wilth all 108 stars)
Rhapsody 11

Klonoa 2 (PS2) took me about 7 hours. No idea how long it would be to do everything.

I think the times for BIA and Fable are way low (these should be for first play throughs) but it's been so long since I played them that I really can't remember how long I took.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga [PS2] - ~55 hours. Did not complete mantra grid, or do all optional bosses. You could probably get another 8+ hours out of it easy if you wanted to do those things.

Request: Dead to Rights [PS2]

Radiata Stories took me around 24 hours to beat on the non-human side. That is with getting very few non-essential characters. I'd say you could easily spend 40-50 hours on this.

bread's done
Back