The "How long will it take to complete this game?" thread

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner will take around 14-16 hours to just go through the storyline... if you spend time on side quests or collection demons though, then it can take a lot longer.

Mods - would anyone have a problem with me making a new thread like this and updating it VERY regularly. I always enjoy seeing how long it takes (or a range) before I start a new game...

This thread hardly gets bumped. I thought either I could make a new one including the OP to get it started or just sticky this one (takes me forever to find it every time before I bookmarked it).

LMK

Need some times for these, thanks.

Psychonaunts-PS2
Splinter Cell 1-PS2
Dragon Quarter or whatever-PS2

Can any RPG gurus rank these games purely on the basis of length (shortest to longest) if I just wanted to focus on beating them straight through?

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Romancing SaGa
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Just beat Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii. Took me 52 hours (per game clock). I was pretty thorough, but still a good amount of stuff left to do. Nothing really took much time away from that game clock time, save for going several sections down the Cave of Ordeals or whatever it's called before finding out I needed the final dungeon weapon.

Table Tennis - About 5-6 hours to beat it on all difficulties. But it could vary depending on how good or bad you are.

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - 6-7 hours to get the true ending.

Kirby Canvas Curse - I spent about 6 hours getting 35% of the game which includes the first half of the time trials/line challenges and beating the story mode. I didn't feel like collecting every last coin for 100%

In Splinter Cell 1 for PS2, I just got done with the part where you kidnap the CIA leak. How much time left do I have to go? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='msdmoney']I think Psychonauts took around 15, maybe a little shorter. It has been a while.

Splinter Cell 1 took less than 10 hours easy.[/quote]

I agree w/ both of these...

Just Cause - About 5-6 hours for just the story, I probably played around 10 hours and collected all the stuff and liberated about 8 provinces did 15 takeover missions before I got bored with it.

Ninety Nine Nights - Took me about 16 hours to beat the game with all the characters, and the Inphhy's special mission (which took a while because I had to get her to level nine to beat it)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter took me 23 hours, watching all movies, fiddling around with the Ant Colony for a combined few hours, and minor backtracking (including one restart at the 2nd to last save point of the game). No time spent in the bonus dungeon. For a typical playthrough, you can probably shave it down to 16-18 hours.

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elendia should take about 25-30 hours, more if you're a completionist.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN) took me 41 hours, ending with 14 hearts, all golden bugs, 2 fairy fountains (from the Cave of Ordeals), and all optional weapons/accessories. Minus a couple hours for idle playtime.

Disgaea 2 - 35 hours to beat the main storyline with a minimum of power leveling/optional maps.

The post-game stuff is much, much longer though. For those of you that have played the first Disgaea you should know what I'm talking about. It almost seems like NIS spent more time developing the post-game then the main story. So far I've put 188 hours into this and I still haven't unlocked the Land of Carnage. I also seem to be addicted to this game since I haven't done anything else or played another game in my free time.

All of the following are PS2:

18-Wheeler: American Pro-Trucker- 1/3 (1 hour til you never want to play the thing again, 3 to finish it and break it into a million pieces).
Area 51- 10
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2- 12 (just barely shorter than the 1st one)
Champions of Norrath- 15
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms- 10/15
Shark Tale- 16
GTA:VC- 25/70
Guitar Hero 2- 25/??
Haunted Mansion- 15
Hobbit- 10
Madagascar- 7/10
We

[quote name='bobo2k4']I'm sure this has been asked already but how long was New Super Mario Bros?[/QUOTE]

Beating the game is fairly quick. 5 hours is pretty generous. If you want everything, 10-15.

You could speed run NSMB though.

[quote name='Warner1281']

On a side note, can the OP either update the first page or someone start a new thread and get the old one locked? Would be much appreciated if the front page could at least be updated once a month.[/quote]

I 2nd this motion and I'm more than willing to take charge and create / update a new thread...

[quote name='Wlogan31']I 2nd this motion and I'm more than willing to take charge and create / update a new thread...[/quote]

Go ahead and do it and we'll get this one locked up. I'd do it myself but I don't have the time/dedication to keep the thread updated. Thanks in advance.

Dragon Quest VIII: 80/100+
Shadow Hearts Covenant: 30/?
Paper Mario: TTYD: 25/35 (it definitely does not take 35 hours to beat this game)

XBOX

Doom 3
Half Life 2
Jade Empire

PS2
Sly Cooper 3
Shadow Hearts 1

Thanks!;)

[quote name='Blackout542']XBOX

Doom 3
Half Life 2
Jade Empire

Thanks!;)[/QUOTE]
Doom 3 took around 18
Half Life 2 took around 16
Jade Empire 25 but could vary based on sidequests

It has been a while but I think those are decent estimates. By the way, play Half Life 2 before Doom 3, I played both on the PC and Half Life 2 is by far the better game, not even close.

[quote name='xdl']Didnt see it listed in here... How about Shadow of the Colossus?[/QUOTE]
Shadow of the Colossus took me around 12 if I remember right, it has been a while.

Resident Evil 1 Remake for Gamecube was listed as 10 hours, is that accurate?

Also how long does it take to beat Metal Gear Solid 1... i need to get on that :)

[quote name='tehweezner']Resident Evil 1 Remake for Gamecube was listed as 10 hours, is that accurate?

Also how long does it take to beat Metal Gear Solid 1... i need to get on that :)[/QUOTE]

Took me 3 hours first playthrough... without a strategy guide.

I rushed though, so I'd say 3-6.

[quote name='Warner1281']Go ahead and do it and we'll get this one locked up. I'd do it myself but I don't have the time/dedication to keep the thread updated. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

It will be done this weekend and I will update it at least twice per week (if there are updates to be done).

[quote name='xdl']Didnt see it listed in here... How about Shadow of the Colossus?[/quote]

I finished it the other day no guide in about 6 hrs.

[quote name='StillFree']I finished it the other day no guide in about 6 hrs.[/quote]I think I was done with SotC in about 6:30 or so. Great game but very short.

Tales of Phantasia took me about 35 hours with about 2/3 of the sidequests taken care of. Figure no sidequests ~ 30 hours, all sidequests would take you closer to 40.

[quote name='daroga']I think I was done with SotC in about 6:30 or so. Great game but very short.[/quote]
Damn. How did you get through it at such a fast speed? It took me and most everyone I know took about 10-12 hours.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Damn. How did you get through it at such a fast speed? It took me and most everyone I know took about 10-12 hours.[/quote]Really? Almost everything I've ever read about SotC made it sound like it was a 6-7 hour game, 5-6 if you knew what you're doing. Thus I wasn't all that surprised by my ending time. Although, there is a chance I'm misremembering as I beat it in like September and sold my PS2 shortly thereafter. But I'm pretty sure it was 6 1/2 hours for me.

That being said, I found like 1 save point the whole game, and only got semi-lost trying to find where to go once or twice. I also don't think it saved time played before you die without saving, so frequent deaths made for a clean "final" encounter with each of the Colossi.

EDIT: Now that I'm rethinking about it and doing a little reading online, I'm guessing I was mistaken. I know it never broke the double digit hour mark, but it might have been more like 8-9 hours. Maybe 8:30 is what as in my mind.

[quote name='daroga']Really? Almost everything I've ever read about SotC made it sound like it was a 6-7 hour game, 5-6 if you knew what you're doing. Thus I wasn't all that surprised by my ending time. Although, there is a chance I'm misremembering as I beat it in like September and sold my PS2 shortly thereafter. But I'm pretty sure it was 6 1/2 hours for me.

That being said, I found like 1 save point the whole game, and only got semi-lost trying to find where to go once or twice. I also don't think it saved time played before you die without saving, so frequent deaths made for a clean "final" encounter with each of the Colossi.

EDIT: Now that I'm rethinking about it and doing a little reading online, I'm guessing I was mistaken. I know it never broke the double digit hour mark, but it might have been more like 8-9 hours. Maybe 8:30 is what as in my mind.[/quote]
There were quite a few save spots, generally before you enter the canyon-like paths to get to a colossus. For me, a lot of them took at least 15+ minutes to beat while a good majority of the latter ones took about that same amount of time to just find them, even more if you got lost. I think I only died while fighting one colossi (the colosseum colossi :bomb:), so it's like I, and many others, smelled the roses along the way to killing the colossi.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There were quite a few save spots, generally before you enter the canyon-like paths to get to a colossus. For me, a lot of them took at least 15+ minutes to beat while a good majority of the latter ones took about that same amount of time to just find them, even more if you got lost. I think I only died while fighting one colossi (the colosseum colossi :bomb:), so it's like I, and many others, smelled the roses along the way to killing the colossi.[/quote]But only dying on one would lengthen the recorded play time. By dying a few times trying to figure out what one arth I was supposed to do I was able to load and come back and whomp them much more quickly, generally, and have none of my weak-point-exploring time recorded.

I saw GoW2 listed up above at 18 hours on normal. Did anyone else take that long?

It took me 12:14 and I have one friend who did it in 11:53 and one that did it in 13:08. I actually felt like it was dragging a little towards the end too, I knew we tore through it but I can't believe that we did it 50% faster than that.

[quote name='daroga']But only dying on one would lengthen the recorded play time. By dying a few times trying to figure out what one arth I was supposed to do I was able to load and come back and whomp them much more quickly, generally, and have none of my weak-point-exploring time recorded.[/quote]
Then it didn't take you that long to beat the game. You were just ashamed to admit that you took longer than your timer says you did. ;) Everybody makes mistakes.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then it didn't take you that long to beat the game. You were just ashamed to admit that you took longer than your timer says you did. ;) Everybody makes mistakes.[/quote]I go by in-game clock. It makes me more of a man so I can brag (and lie evidently) on internet message boards. I'm T-U-F-F tough!

[quote name='daroga']I go by in-game clock. It makes me more of a man so I can brag (and lie evidently) on internet message boards. I'm T-U-F-F tough![/quote]
"If the game doesn't remember it happening, it never happened."

I have to go by real time, not in game time. I usually hit pause and walk away from a game for 30mins-1 hr. a lot of times. However, a lot of RPG's don't have a pause button. So I just let it sit at the inventory menu. So an RPG that would normally clock in at 40 hours might read as 60 hours since the timer still goes on when I'm away.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']"If the game doesn't remember it happening, it never happened."[/quote]Darn tootin!

That, I don't play games with a kitchen timer sitting next to me.

On La Pucelle, I would estimate 65 hours to do every sidequest. Earning Prier's second Dark World title is usually considered the ultimate end of the game, but since it relies somewhat on luck (you have to defeat a certain quantity of Overlords in one Dark World run and said quantity doesn't always show up), it might take one person 60 and another 70 (hence, the 65). I'm currently 50 hours in, with Prier and Homard at about level 300 each, and earned the first title around 47 hours. I agree with 25 hours as the time for beating the game.

I beat .hack//G.U. volume 1 for PS2 in 25 hours, having applied a decent amount of time to unlocking content and beefing up characters (with a level cap of 50, my characters were 44) There's a lot of bonus content and sidequests that can be taken on to prep for volume 2, so I'd say 20/35 here. (this is without leaving the ps2 on overnight to unlock stuff)

On FF6 Advance, I'm at 20 and am about to beat it, but haven't yet taken on the bonus dungeons. 20/25 is my range.

My main backlog is portable. I want to know about Final Fantasy III (DS) and Riviera (GBA). I'm also interested in getting Contact (DS) so I'd like to know about that.

Oh, and Animal Crossing takes about 8000 hours. =P

[quote name='Pi573']

My main backlog is portable. I want to know about Final Fantasy III (DS) and Riviera (GBA). I'm also interested in getting Contact (DS) so I'd like to know about that. [/quote]I believe Contact was in the 8-12 hour range to beat with the bare minimum. Much, much more if you wanted to unlock everything, someone else can probably hook you up with that number.

bread's done
Back