The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='MSI Magus']The 20th anniversary GBA Micro is pretty rare right? Dont they usually go for some crazy price too?[/QUOTE]
i sold one for $250 last year so yeah its pretty rare. the other colors are also rare (black and silver). i see them every now and then at gamestops but they looked like they've been chewed on by either the owner or by dogs.

[quote name='bjm']
2. Micheal Jackson Moonwalker for Megadrive - I feel this isnt rare but i thought i would add it anyway
[/QUOTE]these werent rare or sought after at all until michael jackson died. you should have sold it around that time. i think the most a complete copy went for was $300-$400. these days you wont get that much but they're still worth something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a Zelda: OoT EB collector's edition guide today at Half Price Books. It's pretty much in perfect shape, with some slight wear on the cover. The song guide insert poster is still intact.

I see there are a couple on Ebay for ~$50 that have been sitting there and I don't see it anywhere else. so...is this rare/valuable? Probably gonna throw it up on auction and see what happens.

[quote name='nnthomas']Can anyone chime in on what Gamecube games are worth a pretty penny? I have been in a GCN collecting kick so it would be good to know what exactly to keep an eye out for.

Is this a valid resource? - http://www.rarityguide.com/gamecube_view.php[/QUOTE]

Just some off the top of my head. Not all are rare, but still uncommon.

Ikaruga
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Pikmin 2
Zelda Collector's Edition
Zelda Master Quest
Zelda Master Quest/Wind Waker
Zelda Twilight Princess
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2 Plus
Eternal Darkness
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

^ that pretty much covers them. The GC had a lot of games that arent 'rare', but still worth money because they're in demand (Eternal darkness, Mario Parties, Pikmin 2). The only GC games that really count as 'rare' imho are Ikaruga, the Phantasy Stars (P{PSOO+ probably being the rarest GC game), RECVX, & Skies Of Arcadia. The rest, like the Zeldas, can easlily be found at any GS (hell I've found about 6 copies of the Zelda CE at pawns in the last year).

[quote name='Segasonic01']^ that pretty much covers them. The GC had a lot of games that arent 'rare', but still worth money because they're in demand (Eternal darkness, Mario Parties, Pikmin 2). The only GC games that really count as 'rare' imho are Ikaruga, the Phantasy Stars (P{PSOO+ probably being the rarest GC game), RECVX, & Skies Of Arcadia. The rest, like the Zeldas, can easlily be found at any GS (hell I've found about 6 copies of the Zelda CE at pawns in the last year).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Fairly comprehensive list there.

I'd add Tales of Symphonia; the first one still fetches a fairly decent price ($20+).

I still have Pikmin 2 sealed -- I'll probably sell it, though I'm also inclined to open and play it ;-)

[quote name='bjm']I have a couple of games i find are quite rare:

1.Kula World For PS1 - I have only seen this in a shop once about 2 years ago and that was fetching about £30

2. Micheal Jackson Moonwalker for Megadrive - I feel this isnt rare but i thought i would add it anyway

3. Monster Rancher PS1 - I had this game for about 10 years now and only ever seen it in a store twice.[/QUOTE]

In terms of rare games, one of the rarest is the Dreamcast's Space Channel 5 Part 2 Japan import. You may recall that Sega Japan decided to not only kill the US release but then also opted to make the game only available to those who ordered it off their Web site. It essentially meant the game was printed in very limited quantities.

I was lucky to have a friend in Japan who picked it up for me. Having both the PS2 port and the DC game, I can confidently say the PS2 port is terrible :) The DC version is much more vibrant and the original Japanese track is superior (as always) -- though I do like Apollo Smile's voice ;-)

[quote name='elessar123']You guys missed Cubivore =3[/QUOTE]cubivore is rare but not necessarily valuable anymore. i dont know what happened but you used to be able to get $40-$50 a complete copy. still gets you $20-$30 though. maybe its rare cause its one of the few atlus games for the system (much like ogre battle 64 and snowboard kids 2 for the n64)

another one to add to rare GC games is the Phantasy Star Online I & II PLUS. it's probably one of the most expensive games right now for the gc and theres really not very many of them (maybe just below NCAA 2k3).

eternal darkness and ikaruga should be off that list. while theyre great games, ikaruga had a re-release through xblive which pretty much ruined its value and eternal darkness isnt at all valuable or rare (you can find them at every gamestop i bet)

Lol, funny how some people are correcting me by saying "You missed (insert game here)" even though I said it was off the top of my head. :p

[quote name='phear3d']cubivore is rare but not necessarily valuable anymore.[/QUOTE]
But wasn't that the point of his post? To list rare games? A game can still be rare but not worth that much and vise versa.

Example: FFVII sold over 9 million copies but is worth about $30-40.

[quote name='phear3d']another one to add to rare GC games is the Phantasy Star Online I & II PLUS. it's probably one of the most expensive games right now for the gc and theres really not very many of them (maybe just below NCAA 2k3).[/QUOTE]
Lol, that was on the list.

[quote name='phear3d']eternal darkness and ikaruga should be off that list. while theyre great games, ikaruga had a re-release through xblive which pretty much ruined its value and eternal darkness isnt at all valuable or rare (you can find them at every gamestop i bet)[/QUOTE]
I did say that some were just uncommon, and while Ikaruga and Eternal Darkness may not be super rare, I still think they deserve to be on the list more than others that were, like Zelda Collector's Edition and Pikmin 2. And like I mentioned earlier, valuable =/= rare.

I just dug out my old sega cd (The one that sits under the genesis) and games after reading through some of these threads. I found Night trap, Batman returns, Dracula, Dungeon Master II, NBA Jam, Joe Montana Football, Sewer Shark, Sherlock Homes, Snatcher and Lethal enforcers with a blue gun. Are any of these games worth the effort to list them?

[quote name='Variern']I just dug out my old sega cd (The one that sits under the genesis) and games after reading through some of these threads. I found Night trap, Batman returns, Dracula, Dungeon Master II, NBA Jam, Joe Montana Football, Sewer Shark, Sherlock Homes, Snatcher and Lethal enforcers with a blue gun. Are any of these games worth the effort to list them?[/QUOTE]
I'll buy Snatcher off you for $20. ;) But, in all seriousness, it's worth at about $80-100. The others, aren't really worth anything, but that's still a decent collection.

[quote name='ducksoda7']I'll buy Snatcher off you for $20. ;) But, in all seriousness, it's worth at about $80-100. The others, aren't really worth anything, but that's still a decent collection.[/QUOTE]

Why'd you have to tell him the value? I was about to bid $25. ;)

If you don't want to go through the hassle of eBay, my $25 offer still stands. Hell, I'd give you $100 for the whole collection. I'm serious. PM me if you're interested.

So... what happened to PS2 games? I noticed alot of games I come across quite a bit have really declined in the past year/year and a half. Graffitti Kingdom, Valkyrie Profile 2, Onimusha DOD, Romance XI... these all used to fetch about $25 but now you're lucky to sell them for $10. What's up with that? They're all relatively recent games (2005 and on) but I can't think of why that would have an impact. I noticed Gamestop also lowered the price on them but that could go either way (they fell in worth due to the lowered GS price OR GS lowered the price due to their falling value). It seems like a lot of games are dropping like this actually, I noticed Cubivore on the Gamecube is in the same camp. Any thoughts on this?

[quote name='ducksoda7']
I did say that some were just uncommon, and while Ikaruga and Eternal Darkness may not be super rare, I still think they deserve to be on the list more than others that were, like Zelda Collector's Edition and Pikmin 2. And like I mentioned earlier, valuable =/= rare.[/QUOTE]
do you really need to quote everything people have to say?

eternal darkness isnt rare at all - if you can find the game easy, let alone in the more than 6000 gamestops in the u.s., then you cant argue that its considered "rare" or "not super rare". once the xblive version came out, there goes the value. its only rare if you cant find a copy of it easy. like for instance the bioshock limited edition, thats something you wont find very easy at any store.

ikaruga isnt rare at all. it was valuable at some point because it was a great game but same with eternal darkness, you can find this game easily at gamestops (i believe the most they sold them was $39.99). though if you have a sealed copy then yeah, its rare. for what its worth, the dreamcast version (jp) in sealed form could be worth more in the near future.

if you have both games, then youre lucky you have something thats not super rare :bouncy:if those games means alot to you then good for you.

i added that phantasy star i and ii was one of the rarest and most expensive games for the gamecube. you thought that was worth the lulz? wow. :applause:

also, while i understand the point of this thread is to find out if a game like cubivore is rare, its also welcome for everyone to give their two cents why it isnt valuable and why its rare. there is nothing wrong with saying that its not valuable. is there? for me, imo, and this is my opinion, why i would i collect something thats not even valuable? sure its rare, but what would i get from it? if i sell it, it would only fetch what its currently going for on ebay and amazon nothing more. unless its a sealed copy of the game, then sky is probably your limit since no one had listed one for quite some time. forget amazon for sealed games, go with ebay to get more value.

[quote name='phear3d']do you really need to quote everything people have to say?

eternal darkness isnt rare at all - if you can find the game easy, let alone in the more than 6000 gamestops in the u.s., then you cant argue that its considered "rare" or "not super rare". once the xblive version came out, there goes the value. its only rare if you cant find a copy of it easy. like for instance the bioshock limited edition, thats something you wont find very easy at any store.

ikaruga isnt rare at all. it was valuable at some point because it was a great game but same with eternal darkness, you can find this game easily at gamestops (i believe the most they sold them was $39.99). though if you have a sealed copy then yeah, its rare. for what its worth, the dreamcast version (jp) in sealed form could be worth more in the near future.

if you have both games, then youre lucky you have something thats not super rare :bouncy:if those games means alot to you then good for you.

i added that phantasy star i and ii was one of the rarest and most expensive games for the gamecube. you thought that was worth the lulz? wow. :applause:

also, while i understand the point of this thread is to find out if a game like cubivore is rare, its also welcome for everyone to give their two cents why it isnt valuable and why its rare. there is nothing wrong with saying that its not valuable. is there? for me, imo, and this is my opinion, why i would i collect something thats not even valuable? sure its rare, but what would i get from it? if i sell it, it would only fetch what its currently going for on ebay and amazon nothing more. unless its a sealed copy of the game, then sky is probably your limit since no one had listed one for quite some time. forget amazon for sealed games, go with ebay to get more value.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything said here. Eternal Darkness, Cubivore, and Ikaruga are not rare by any means. Just very uncommon. I see Eternal at almost every GS around me and fairly often I see Ikaruga but I have yet to see Cubivore but that doesn't = RARE. Sealed copies of all of those obviously will command a bit more money for sure. Of the three the hardest one to find for me at least is Cubivore.

PSO I & II Plus is definitely right under NCAA Basketball 2K3 on the GC rarity list. I have I & II (regular) and III but Plus still eludes me to this day.

[quote name='phear3d']eternal darkness isnt rare at all - if you can find the game easy, let alone in the more than 6000 gamestops in the u.s., then you cant argue that its considered "rare" or "not super rare". once the xblive version came out, there goes the value. its only rare if you cant find a copy of it easy. like for instance the bioshock limited edition, thats something you wont find very easy at any store.[/QUOTE]
But I never said it was rare. I've only stated that it was uncommon. And while it may be common where you live, I'm only basing its rarity on the fact I've only seen two copies of it in the past two years at GS/EB(which I do go to a lot) so I guess it's an area thing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name='phear3d']ikaruga isnt rare at all. it was valuable at some point because it was a great game but same with eternal darkness, you can find this game easily at gamestops (i believe the most they sold them was $39.99).[/QUOTE]
Again, I said that some of them were just uncommon. Also, it's a bit strange that you singled out Ikaruga when there are games on that list that are definitely more common, like Fire Emblem PoR, Zelda Collector's Edition, Zelda Twilight Princess, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name='phear3d']i added that phantasy star i and ii was one of the rarest and most expensive games for the gamecube. you thought that was worth the lulz? wow. :applause:[/QUOTE]
That still doesn't change the fact that you missed it, lol.
[quote name='ducksoda7']Just some off the top of my head. Not all are rare, but still uncommon.

Ikaruga
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Pikmin 2
Zelda Collector's Edition
Zelda Master Quest
Zelda Master Quest/Wind Waker
Zelda Twilight Princess
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2 Plus
Eternal Darkness
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance[/QUOTE]
[quote name='phear3d']another one to add to rare GC games is the Phantasy Star Online I & II PLUS. it's probably one of the most expensive games right now for the gc and theres really not very many of them (maybe just below NCAA 2k3).[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name='phear3d']also, while i understand the point of this thread is to find out if a game like cubivore is rare, its also welcome for everyone to give their two cents why it isnt valuable and why its rare. there is nothing wrong with saying that its not valuable. is there? for me, imo, and this is my opinion, why i would i collect something thats not even valuable? sure its rare, but what would i get from it? if i sell it, it would only fetch what its currently going for on ebay and amazon nothing more. unless its a sealed copy of the game, then sky is probably your limit since no one had listed one for quite some time. forget amazon for sealed games, go with ebay to get more value.[/QUOTE]
No, there isn't anything wrong with saying a game isn't valuable, but that's not what he/she was asking. Sure Eternal Darkness may not be rare, but, again, I was just basing that from what I've seen in my area. There aren't a lot of rare GC games out there and I just wanted to extend the list a bit with some uncommon ones, too, since he/she is just interested in collecting them and not selling them.

And while a lot of those games may not be super valuable, half the fun of collecting is the hunting. Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold isn't worth a lot, but I've been looking for a copy ever since Activision lost the Marvel license and the downloadable characters got taken down. Just my opinion, though.

i couldnt understand what youre saying, i got lost with all of that quoting. i swear you were trying to be funny though.

if youre going to contribute to this thread, then contribute. but youre arguing for the sake of arguing makes you look like a jackass. im sure youll have a comeback to try to reclaim yourself how something is "not super rare" like eternal darkness. but what is the point?

[quote name='phear3d']i couldnt understand what youre saying, i got lost with all of that quoting. i swear you were trying to be funny though.

if youre going to contribute to this thread, then contribute. but youre arguing for the sake of arguing makes you look like a jackass. im sure youll have a comeback to try to reclaim yourself how something is "not super rare" like eternal darkness. but what is the point?[/QUOTE]
I've added lines to separate my points. Hope that clears things up a bit.

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like you were right. I could've sworn that person was interested in rare games, but it looks like he/she wanted ones that were worth something. So I guess I take back everything I said.

I have a copy of Yellow Brick Road for the PC.

05170020140001.jpg

Anyone have any idea what it's worth?

[quote name='Calinks']Is the US version of Bangai-O for the Sega Dreamcast rare or uncommon?[/QUOTE]
Pretty rare, I've never seen one in the wild around here, or at PnT (which has had 3 PDSs & every rare DC game other than Bangai-O & a complete Seaman

i snagged a mint one at a store in WI years ago. I regret parting with it...

got Persona 1 PS1 complete at the same store that day! I never have finds like that any more.

[quote name='Calinks']Is the US version of Bangai-O for the Sega Dreamcast rare or uncommon?[/QUOTE]
youre lucky to have one. its really hard to find in the wild and its quite rare. that and cannon spike & project justice is not something thats easy to find. i just hope that capcom doesn't rerelease project justice for the ps3/xblive :pray:

[quote name='ninja dog']i snagged a mint one at a store in WI years ago. I regret parting with it...

got Persona 1 PS1 complete at the same store that day! I never have finds like that any more.[/QUOTE]

Where in Wisconsin? If it was anywhere near here and the store is still open, I'd love to see if they have anything nice there now...

[quote name='phear3d']i sold one for $250 last year so yeah its pretty rare. the other colors are also rare (black and silver). i see them every now and then at gamestops but they looked like they've been chewed on by either the owner or by dogs.

[/QUOTE]
pretty sure youre lying, or the guy you sold it to is a complete moron.

i got a brand new one off amazon last week for 80 bucks(20th anniversary edition).

and ive been watching the prices on em for a little over a year
(theyre all over ebay and amazon, so i highly doubt theyre THAT rare) and i havent seen the prices go over 150.

just throwing it out there.

I have... this, the missing link between the N64 and the Gamecube. Most people have never even seen it, does anyone know if its worth anything? Perfect condition, but no packaging.

superpad64.jpg

Interact Superpad 64

Chewbacca's Abortion;7368303 said:
I have... this, the missing link between the N64 and the Gamecube. Most people have never even seen it, does anyone know if its worth anything? Perfect condition, but no packaging.

Interact Superpad 64

$0.75 on half.com.

[quote name='geniusboy91']$0.75 on half.com.[/QUOTE]
For that actual one? Because I know there was the more common normal shaped controller also called the Super Pad 64. Thats what confused me when even looking for the thing to price it.

Chewbacca's Abortion;7368404 said:
For that actual one? Because I know there was the more common normal shaped controller also called the Super Pad 64. Thats what confused me when even looking for the thing to price it.

*has never seen a controller or joypad(especially not a third party one) that is worth anything*

[quote name='MSI Magus']*has never seen a controller or joypad(especially not a third party one) that is worth anything*[/QUOTE]

PS2 Saturn pads are pricy. I sold a new Vampire one on eBay for something like $90 about 14 months ago.

[quote name='MSI Magus']*has never seen a controller or joypad(especially not a third party one) that is worth anything*[/QUOTE]
You don't gotta be rude, dawg. I was just interested, it's not like I want to sell it for anything it was a gift. Plus I sold my HORI digital gameboy player controller for $50, so that's something?

[quote name='StripesOrBars']pretty sure youre lying, or the guy you sold it to is a complete moron.

i got a brand new one off amazon last week for 80 bucks(20th anniversary edition).

and ive been watching the prices on em for a little over a year
(theyre all over ebay and amazon, so i highly doubt theyre THAT rare) and i havent seen the prices go over 150.

just throwing it out there.[/QUOTE]
youre the moron for not believing :applause:

micro.jpg

youre obviously a smart shopper since youre on Cheap Ass Gamer - so kudos to you for buying a cheap-er copy. most people just dont have the time to shop around like you do so they're automatically a moron for that?

scorch couldnt have put it in better words

[quote name='Scorch'] Some people out there have wayyyy too much money.. and if they want to spend it on items that are overpriced (specifically, my items), I will be more than happy to take their money.[/QUOTE]

Do you guys see the value of Metroid Prime Triolgy for Wii increasing a lot over time? I have a sealed copy that I don't know if I want to list yet.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Do you guys see the value of Metroid Prime Triolgy for Wii increasing a lot over time? I have a sealed copy that I don't know if I want to list yet.[/QUOTE]
Collectors edition, or normal edition?

You could probably more money selling it now and buying a few shares of BP stock than you would by just holding on to it for a few more years.

[quote name='phear3d']

also, while i understand the point of this thread is to find out if a game like cubivore is rare, its also welcome for everyone to give their two cents why it isnt valuable and why its rare. there is nothing wrong with saying that its not valuable. is there? for me, imo, and this is my opinion, why i would i collect something thats not even valuable? sure its rare, but what would i get from it? if i sell it, it would only fetch what its currently going for on ebay and amazon nothing more. unless its a sealed copy of the game, then sky is probably your limit since no one had listed one for quite some time. forget amazon for sealed games, go with ebay to get more value.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree on the rarity points. Do note though that just because Gamestops have many or even dozens of these games in-stock doesn't necessarily mean though that the game is not rare, so to speak. Lots of things go into rarity outside of just quantity. Most of Gamestop's copies are not in high demand because (let's face it) they're often in horrible condition. Demented manuals, damaged cover art, and badly scratched up discs. Collectors want like-new or new items and those actually are probably getting rarer by the day. Based on eBay's completed listings, it's clear people will pay extra for better condition -- sometimes significantly more.

As far as Ikaruga goes, I've only seen it at GSs that aren't very busy stores, & usually there's no manual or the game is beat to hell.

I know it's probably been asked, but do we know if Deathsmiles is really gonna b rare, or is the Limited Edition really the only edition?

[quote name='Segasonic01']As far as Ikaruga goes, I've only seen it at GSs that aren't very busy stores, & usually there's no manual or the game is beat to hell.

I know it's probably been asked, but do we know if Deathsmiles is really gonna b rare, or is the Limited Edition really the only edition?[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any Aksys games that are rare offhand, but I have a feeling it'll be in demand.

bread's done
Back