The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='JJSP']Tested it out today using my old Genny RF adapter and played a few levels of Sonic 2. It works![/QUOTE]

Very nice pick-up. I've read that not only did it have a short production run, but it's also the best Sega CD system to have in terms of quality and playback.

[quote name='62t']Only downside is sega does not recommend using32x with cd x[/QUOTE]

Yet it works perfectly with it. I think it was Sega being worried that the system was physically less stable with the 32X on top or some b.s. excessive RF was generated by the two. Either way, the CDX and 32X were originally intended to be an officially supported configuration (as evidenced by the 32X user manual).

Umm, how rare would both Madden 95 and 96 sealed for Gameboy be? I only see one listing for each on Ebay, and both are outrageously priced. Are the games really that desirable, or is the guy just hoping some idiot will pay that much for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking as well. It IS a sports game after all. The only reason I even asked was because I saw both 95 and 96 sealed at my local flea market for $6 apiece, and they peaked my curiosity.

I didn't really think they'd be rare or anything like that, so I passed and googled them when I arrived at home later that day. I was fairly surprised I could only find one listing for "new" for either game, anywhere (and it happened to be triple-digits). Usually games have at least a few "new" listings, no matter how old they are.

[quote name='Andami']That's what I was thinking as well. It IS a sports game after all. The only reason I even asked was because I saw both 95 and 96 sealed at my local flea market for $6 apiece, and they peaked my curiosity.

I didn't really think they'd be rare or anything like that, so I passed and googled them when I arrived at home later that day. I was fairly surprised I could only find one listing for "new" for either game, anywhere (and it happened to be triple-digits). Usually games have at least a few "new" listings, no matter how old they are.[/QUOTE]

There are rare sports games but they're very rare themselves. NCAA 2k3 Basketball for the GC, Madden 09 for the DS and NBA Elite 11 are the only ones I know of.

[quote name='Andami']That's what I was thinking as well. It IS a sports game after all. The only reason I even asked was because I saw both 95 and 96 sealed at my local flea market for $6 apiece, and they peaked my curiosity.

I didn't really think they'd be rare or anything like that, so I passed and googled them when I arrived at home later that day. I was fairly surprised I could only find one listing for "new" for either game, anywhere (and it happened to be triple-digits). Usually games have at least a few "new" listings, no matter how old they are.[/QUOTE]

Somebody worldwide purchased 96 with box for $12 shipped; for sealed you might be able to list them at $40 or best offer, personally though I wouldn't get involved (since I'm guessing it's not an easy flip). Also they might only be worth $10-15 if you want to sell them in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a 2 parter.. Is rival Schools project justice for dream cast sealed rare?? and Can you buy those security seals gamestop uses?

[quote name='Andami']Umm, how rare would both Madden 95 and 96 sealed for Gameboy be? I only see one listing for each on Ebay, and both are outrageously priced. Are the games really that desirable, or is the guy just hoping some idiot will pay that much for them?[/QUOTE]

I think you'd get more from recycling them ;). jk, but I doubt you'd get much, if anything, for them.

[quote name='tdave']I have a 2 parter.. Is rival Schools project justice for dream cast sealed rare?? and Can you buy those security seals gamestop uses?[/QUOTE]

Um does this really need to be asked. Rare game plus sealed equals very rare.

[quote name='JJSP']Tested it out today using my old Genny RF adapter and played a few levels of Sonic 2. It works![/QUOTE]

If you are planning on selling it make sure to check out the CD function. Those are notorious for having the CD part no longer work.

I have one too that works 75% of the time, but it seems like the motor might be going bad or something because the disc seems to spin down or something.

Anyways make sure to check it out. Don't want you to sell it for 100+ and then lose all the money, pay for shipping, fees, etc.

Was in WalMart the other day and picked up Mass Effect 2 LE for $42. I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the glass prison. I thought it would be at least $60+ since WM is known for their crazy prices on old games, but it rang up at $42. Checked eBay and it is selling for $150+ for a new, sealed copy. I didn't even realize it was rare.

[quote name='thebob101']Was in WalMart the other day and picked up Mass Effect 2 LE for $42. I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the glass prison. I thought it would be at least $60+ since WM is known for their crazy prices on old games, but it rang up at $42. Checked eBay and it is selling for $150+ for a new, sealed copy. I didn't even realize it was rare.[/QUOTE]
pc? or 360? if its the 360 version, it going to be worth a lot when the 3rd game comes out.

Submitted for discussion, two different versions of Super Empire Strikes Back:

111_1954.jpg

111_1957.jpg

The primary difference between the two is the change in publisher. One's THQ, the other is JVC/Lucasarts. The THQ version also has a hard plastic warning box on the back instead of the sticker. My research seems to indicate that one isn't more valuable than the other, but are there any SNES experts here who can tell me if one is still significantly harder to find than the other? With vintage games I'll generally keep variant copies if it's something major like the label art (things like Metroid, Blades of Steel, Untouchables, and others for NES) but for something minor like a publisher logo, I don't really want to own both unless I have real reason to other than simple OCD. Thanks!

Wikipedia says the THQ one is a re-release. Re-releases weren't very common during the 90s but I know it did happen sometimes if another publisher felt that they could profit from it (since there wasn't a major re-seller market back then). And I'm fairly sure THQ did other re-releases on the SNES, probably the other Super Star Wars games.

Additionally, I know Sunsoft re-released all four GB Final Fantasy games.

I'm trying to remember if that Assembled in Mexico tag appeared on the box of the Zombies Ate My Neighbors variant (which is sought after).

I don't know how re-releases would factor into this; however, I do know some collectors search for SNES rental exclusives (Ren & Stimpy: The Firedogs comes to mind, that one is supposed to be fairly hard to find as CIB--in better grades especially--due to how it was only available through Blockbuster)

Okay, so the other day I purchased a Sega Genesis/CD lot and there were 15 CD games. 4 had original cases, and the other 11 small homemade cd cases for them. One of the 11 is a Dragon's Lair demo cd. I am not home right now so I can't take a photo but I can upload one later if need be. It says DEMO CD in large font across the bottom I believe. Anyone know anything about this?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/vgm/2666564305.html
Turbo Grafx lot. I talked him down to 1k. Should I do it?[/QUOTE]

IMO, that's a good buy for $1000. Can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the guy even made custom cases for the 20 or so games that did not originally come with jewel cases. I would ask to see more detailed pics first. Based on recent Ebay prices, boxed Air Zonk and the Boxed Dungeons and Dragons are easily worth $100 or more each. The turbo Booster Plus is worth about $80-100 and Soldier Blade (with manual but no box) would fetch another $100 or so. Chu Man Fu, Super Star Soldier, Bomberman 93, Jackie Chan's King Fu, Neutopia II, New Adventure Island and Legend of Hero Tonma are each worth about $50+ with manuals and the TG express is another $150-$200 with box.

I'd buy that boxed D&D Order of the Griffon off you, if you were interested...

Unfortunately, four of the games don't have manuals-- shockman, soldier blade, chuman fu, and legend of hero.
I am unbelievably tempted to pick it up. It would be such a win for my collection.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Unfortunately, four of the games don't have manuals-- shockman, soldier blade, chuman fu, and legend of hero.
I am unbelievably tempted to pick it up. It would be such a win for my collection.[/QUOTE]

Even without manuals, those four HuCards are great finds. That's the largest TG16 lot I've ever seen for sale! There's a lot of awesome in there

So this seems like the appropriate place to ask this question. I was going through my old game collection and stumbled across a mint copy of Symphony of the Night (playstation greatest hits) still in the original cellophane. I'm pondering selling it, but noticed some games on ebay have been rated by vggrader.com and ask much more alluring prices. Is this worth doing for reselling purposes? Anyone have any experience doing this?

It costs a bit of money to get them graded; but if the ROI is low, I won't bother. Assuming it's greatest hits, I don't have my hopes up; but still good to know for future reference!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smiley241275']So this seems like the appropriate place to ask this question. I was going through my old game collection and stumbled across a mint copy of Symphony of the Night (playstation greatest hits) still in the original cellophane. I'm pondering selling it, but noticed some games on ebay have been rated by vggrader.com and ask much more alluring prices. Is this worth doing for reselling purposes? Anyone have any experience doing this?

It costs a bit of money to get them graded; but if the ROI is low, I won't bother. Assuming it's greatest hits, I don't have my hopes up; but still good to know for future reference![/QUOTE]

You could get it graded but personally I wouldn't, not for a game that normally lists in the $65-80 range. Now it might be worth doing for a game that regularly hits $200-300+ at auction, but yeah when I see people VGA grading stuff like Final Fantasy X greatest hits I'm somewhere between rolling my eyes and pointing my finger and laughing. At this point grading for most games is going to be for the personal satisfaction of a few collectors and for speculators.

P.S. And if you have to grade anything for ps1 or ps2, go for black label/original print run.

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Even without manuals, those four HuCards are great finds. That's the largest TG16 lot I've ever seen for sale! There's a lot of awesome in there[/QUOTE]
I'm saving up to buy a house, and it's freakin' killing me to not buy the lot.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm saving up to buy a house, and it's freakin' killing me to not buy the lot.[/QUOTE]

house is where it's at :bouncy:
I think he will go down more as a few more days pass and you do not contact him...
assuming it lasts over the weekend, consider telling him about the fact you are saving for a house and if he would take $800 cash you'll switch your priorities (temporarily)...
then admire and play it for a week and sell it this holiday to add to your house fund ....

GL either way, hellofabundle!

[quote name='donut']house is where it's at :bouncy:
I think he will go down more as a few more days pass and you do not contact him...
assuming it lasts over the weekend, consider telling him about the fact you are saving for a house and if he would take $800 cash you'll switch your priorities (temporarily)...
then admire and play it for a week and sell it this holiday to add to your house fund ....

GL either way, hellofabundle![/QUOTE]
I mentioned this to him, actually. He said to him it's not worth it to sell it under 1k, and that he would just keep it if it ever got to the point that he couldn't unload it for 1k. He was really cool about it, and said to keep him in mind and if he had it unsold he'd sell it to me. He seemed to appreciate the fact I was a collector and it would go to a good home, so I dunno, maybe I'll check in next week and see if it was still available. Maybe he'll offer to take less if he decides he wants the lot gone.

I saw a steelbook "limited" edition for Sniper: ghost warrior at a gamestop recently. It was $29.99 "new" (so opened)...think thats a good price?

I'm a bad, bad man. I got amazon to issue 500.00 of my credit to gift card codes to give to the guy, then I'm going to pay 500.00 in cash.
But that collection will so be worth it. It helps a lot he's letting me pay half in Amazon credit.

Okay, my dad picked up a nes lot today, an some of them were boxed, so I was wondering if any of these were anything.

Bases Loaded
Bases Loaded 2
Bases Loaded 4
(I actually have 3, but its cart only)
Paperboy
Tecmo Bowl
Super Bowl
Dr Mario

[quote name='C0dy']Okay, so the other day I purchased a Sega Genesis/CD lot and there were 15 CD games. 4 had original cases, and the other 11 small homemade cd cases for them. One of the 11 is a Dragon's Lair demo cd. I am not home right now so I can't take a photo but I can upload one later if need be. It says DEMO CD in large font across the bottom I believe. Anyone know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

Figured I'd ask again since my question got a bit lost in the epic TG16 lot.

I have a viewmaster interactive vision system.

http://gamecola.net/2008/10/dear-readers-view-master-interactive-vision/

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/View-Master_Interactive_Vision

I have the system with the manual and AC adapter and controller so its ready to use but I don't have any tapes to actually test it with so i don't know if its working. I don't have the box or anything else. I can't seem to find a value on this so I was wondering what you guys think? I need to clear space so I am looking to get rid of this, I was wondering if you guys think I should trade it off to the fleamarket guys who will obviously be baffled by it and just take whatever for it (there are a couple game booths at the flea so I can pit the vendors against each other) since its been sitting in my closet forever or if I should make space in case it increases in value?

I have tried to sell this on ebay for cheap money and it has never sold.

bread's done
Back