The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='flare1185']hmm just picked up tales of symphonia and dragon quest VIII for 20 bucks each, was it worth it or should i return it? Ive been to lazy to read any reviews about them and wanted to know if any CAG played them before.[/quote]not really cheap but an ok deal. they are not worth alot for the time being. but like MrNewz said, they are great games and you'll enjoy them. even if you got an ok deal.

What would this lot be worth? Is it rare?

A Turbo Grafx-16 with 1 controller, all necessary cables, and 11 Games

1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Bonk's Revenge
3. Splatter House
4. Sonic Spike
5. Blazing Lazers
6. Galaga 90'
7. World Court Tennis
8. TV Sports Basketball
9. TV Sports Football
10. World Class Baseball
11. Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf

Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, and Splatterhouse are the only good games there. I would say it's worth between $50-$80 depending on how much you want those 3 games. I wouldn't say anything there is too rare. You can get all that on eBay for pretty cheap if you look around.

wow... i was digging thru a box of sealed games i've purchased in the last 2-4 years and found about a dozen that i forgot i even owned. while looking them up online for fun, i realized that Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence fetches a stupid price! i didn't even know there was a different version, called Snake Eater. i'm not even sure where the heck i got this game in the first place. i mean, i'm glad, but the price is just silly. anyone know what the difference is? i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Subsistence must be somewhat rare, right?

Subsistence has the better camera (not fixed and over head), and has a bonus disc containing all kinds of bonus missions/content. Also has Metal Gear 1 and 2, in their ONLY form released in the United States. You can't even emulate an English copy of Metal Gear 1 and 2. And these are not at all the NES games if you're thinking of those. They were released for MSX.

[quote name='Samus']Subsistence has the better camera (not fixed and over head), and has a bonus disc containing all kinds of bonus missions/content. Also has Metal Gear 1 and 2, in their ONLY form released in the United States. You can't even emulate an English copy of Metal Gear 1 and 2. And these are not at all the NES games if you're thinking of those. They were released for MSX.[/quote] Oh, I see. Still pissed on passing a sealed one for $15 while I was on vacation in Delaware thinking they weren't rare. >_

hey, i remember the MSX games! well, okay, i haven't played them, but i've certainly read about them. i didn't even know they were in there. stupid backlog.

[quote name='allyourblood']wow... i was digging thru a box of sealed games i've purchased in the last 2-4 years and found about a dozen that i forgot i even owned. while looking them up online for fun, i realized that Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence fetches a stupid price! i didn't even know there was a different version, called Snake Eater. i'm not even sure where the heck i got this game in the first place. i mean, i'm glad, but the price is just silly. anyone know what the difference is? i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Subsistence must be somewhat rare, right?[/quote]MGS3 is snake eater. it was just dubbed as that because snake can now kill creatures and eat them and snakes are one of them. but yeah, Subsistence replaced what was once the value of MGS2: Substance. sealed copies goes for as much as $70 if not maybe more.

I sold my minty MGS3:Subsistence for $50 on ebay not too long ago. But now that I know what I sold... I'll have to keep the next one I run across :whistle2:(

[quote name='phear3d']MGS3 is snake eater. it was just dubbed as that because snake can now kill creatures and eat them and snakes are one of them. but yeah, Subsistence replaced what was once the value of MGS2: Substance. sealed copies goes for as much as $70 if not maybe more.[/quote]

Actually, it was mostly called Snake Eater because Snake was engaged in operation "Snake Eater" in a mission to destroy the "Cobra Unit."

Lame nerd facts, I know. I couldn't resist. Forgive me. ;)

Subsistence completely changes the gaming experience by putting in a free roaming camera, as opposed to the fixed camera in Snake Eater. There's also the bonus disc featuring some pretty neat stuff. Oh, and it included Metal Gear Online play (but the server apparently didn't last all too long and was pretty short lived).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flare1185']hmm just picked up tales of symphonia and dragon quest VIII for 20 bucks each, was it worth it or should i return it? Ive been to lazy to read any reviews about them and wanted to know if any CAG played them before.[/quote]$20 is the MSRP for Dragon Quest VIII, so if you bought it new, you got it for MSRP, yay. If you paid $20 for it used you didn't get a very good deal.

According to videogamepricecharts.com, Tales goes for around $25 used and $50 new. So you either got an okay deal or a pretty sweet one depending. I think the price of this is going to spike this Christmas after the Wii sequel comes out. That's when I plan to sell my copy.

Dragon Quest VIII is a great game if you go in for that very traditional JRPG style. I didn't care for Tales of Symphonia but a lot of people love it. It is notable for being basically the only critically acclaimed JRPG exclusive to GameCube.

[quote name='GuardianE']
Lame nerd facts, I know. I couldn't resist. Forgive me. ;)
[/quote]
i never went through it actually. i never even bought it until last year. but i am a big fan of the series, just that particular title didn't appeal to me at first. i did try to preorder the subsistence le until i found out i was not getting it since the store only had a couple. but i still didn't finish the game (subsistence):cry:.

[quote name='georox']I'm one of those people who doesn't want to pay $60+ for a game that old >_>

EarthBound is really worth 60-80 cartridge only, I see them ending around there all the time on eBay.[/QUOTE]

it made me very happy to sell my earthbound (unplayed) and mint for 240 on ebay... that was sooooooooooooo needed

how much are these worth?

NES
TMNT tournament Fighters Complete box in excellent condition.
Ninja Gaiden III complete box in excellent condition
Final fantasy complete, box in excellent condition.

Gameboy
Super Mario Land Complete

I think Wario's Woods is worth less than $10.

Is there any real guideline to how much a manual, box, or poster will increase the value of a SNES game? I have some games with boxes, some with manuals and boxes, and some with manuals and boxes and posters!

Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Master System....I've read that the US version goes for 200-300 dollars, but how do you even tell if it is really the US version (I'm assuming mine is because its from some guys collection from when he was a kid and I doubt he would be able to get ahold of a PAL game anywhere back then), what is it REALLY worth?

[quote name='crows in black']Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Master System....I've read that the US version goes for 200-300 dollars, but how do you even tell if it is really the US version (I'm assuming mine is because its from some guys collection from when he was a kid and I doubt he would be able to get ahold of a PAL game anywhere back then), what is it REALLY worth?[/QUOTE]

The US version is identical to the PAL version except there is a UPC sticker over the original bar code on the box. The sticker should have the number 010086070767.

I saw one sell for $300 on eBay once. I don't think I've seen another one since that auction (it was a few years ago), though I haven't really been checking.

[quote name='Rathiain']How much should you pay for a Nintendo Power 100th Issue Gold N64 Controller?[/quote]

I've got two of those. Nintendo re-made those for a brief time period in 2001 (they came with the gold N64 consoles).

[quote name='Shady3011']Does Panzer Dragoon Orta sealed carry any value? I managed to snag a copy for around $15.[/quote]
maybe. i have seen them but not recently. i'd say $40-$50, with $50 being a little too much. wait until sega announces another game from the series :)

I saw a PAL version of Persona 3 at my local Gamecrazy today, it has its UPC punched out though, I was considering getting it just to collect, but does it have any value?

[quote name='Link927']I saw a PAL version of Persona 3 at my local Gamecrazy today, it has its UPC punched out though, I was considering getting it just to collect, but does it have any value?[/QUOTE]

probably only to people in Europe, and the demand is going to be low with FES around

[quote name='darkslime']And how about Breath Of Fire Dragon Quarter complete and mint?[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's that rare, just because I see them all the time at the GS's I go to. They sell there for $7.99 used.

Is Super Metroid worth anything? I got a near mint copy for $5 (cart only). I got it because it looked cool and I've never seen a copy in such great condition. I also don't know what to do with it, I have a SNES but I'm too lazy to scavenge through my garage for it and the cords

[quote name='62t']probably only to people in Europe, and the demand is going to be low with FES around[/quote]

Eh, worth a shot. I think the cover looks better than the US though. I wonder why GC bought a used copy of PAL P3, probably manually looked it up since the upc was punched.

[quote name='darkslime']Is a clear blue N64 worth more than a normal N64?

Thanks.[/quote]

All of the clear N64 systems sell for more than the regular one in my experience. I have sold quite a few blue N64 consoles for $45-50 but the regular N64 sells for about $29.

[quote name='jjgames']All of the clear N64 systems sell for more than the regular one in my experience. I have sold quite a few blue N64 consoles for $45-50 but the regular N64 sells for about $29.[/quote] Thanks. It was $5 at the swap meet, so I'm happy.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Is Super Metroid worth anything? I got a near mint copy for $5 (cart only). I got it because it looked cool and I've never seen a copy in such great condition. I also don't know what to do with it, I have a SNES but I'm too lazy to scavenge through my garage for it and the cords[/quote]I just recently sold mine (cart and manual) on eBay for like $16 plus shipping.

Is Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for GBA worth anything? I picked the game up for $5 at the local swap meet, plus it's an Atlus game, which is why I'd thought I should ask.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Is Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for GBA worth anything? I picked the game up for $5 at the local swap meet, plus it's an Atlus game, which is why I'd thought I should ask.[/quote]

IIRC, its up in the $25+ mark? Not a bad find at a swap meet, especially at that price.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Is Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for GBA worth anything? I picked the game up for $5 at the local swap meet, plus it's an Atlus game, which is why I'd thought I should ask.[/QUOTE]

Good price! It's a pretty fun game (though it moves very slowly). A complete copy is worth about $25-30... but it used to go for a lot more, $60 at one time.

[quote name='heimdal']Is Tales of the Abyss for PS2 rare? It seems everyone's looking for it recently.[/quote]
it wasnt even the latest one, its the second latest since taless of the world was in the U.S. at least. its probably because tales of vesperia is coming out. i hope the other tales for the psp ..comes out in the U.S. but it looks like the PSP is half dead recently.. Abyss is OOP also, that helps with the value. even Tales of Legendia had added a little more value from last year.

[quote name='heimdal']Is Tales of the Abyss for PS2 rare? It seems everyone's looking for it recently.[/quote]

Tales of Abyss is not that rare. Sells for about $26-27

Tales of the World PSP is about the same: $21-22

When the new Tales does come out in the states there will probably be some price spikes for these other tales games.

Bully Collector's Edition for PS2? I just bought one for $13.50 but it was missing the kickball.

Magna Carta: Tears of Blood Deluxe Box Set? It's complete except for the poster.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Is Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for GBA worth anything? I picked the game up for $5 at the local swap meet, plus it's an Atlus game, which is why I'd thought I should ask.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure it's not a bootleg. if I recall correctly, there are a lot of pirated copies of this game floating around.

I have a copy of FFVII that I bought at launch, and for some reason it still sells for quite a bit on eBay. It's the non-GH version, but it's still the same game. WTF. Is it really rare or are people just really anal about what case their game comes in?

[quote name='Kelegacy']I have a copy of FFVII that I bought at launch, and for some reason it still sells for quite a bit on eBay. It's the non-GH version, but it's still the same game. WTF. Is it really rare or are people just really anal about what case their game comes in?[/quote]

Anal about the case. Neither version of FFVII is rare, it's just really loved.

I have a whole bunch of PS1 games that are disc only, among them are FF7, Metal Gear Solid, and a bunch of the Metal Gear Solid rip-off games. I dont keep up with post-NES era games though so how much could I get for any of these (specifically FF7) as discs only?

bread's done
Back