The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='phear3d']unless your arcade cabinet starts with Marvel and ends with Vs. Capcom (the jamma board itself is or was worth around $250-$400 before), it shouldnt be worth more than what you paid for it. sometimes even less on ebay. what sucks about selling one on ebay is that you have to pay alot for shipping and handling. unless you can arrange a way to have it picked up, it could sell for more. if you keep it about 10 more years maybe it'll be worth more :).[/quote]
Err, with all due respect, that might not be 100% accurate, because I've actually seen eBay prices go up to $500 for a legit Darkstalkers cabinet, and that's without the shipping.

Ah well, the game is awesome and I'm not sure if I can part with it any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkslime']0_o You're serious.

I keep seeing these but now that I know they're rare they're probably gonna be gone from every store I saw them. Same thing happened with Dynasty Warriors Gundam a few weeks ago. >_

wait is there even a guide on Dynasty Warriors Gundam? couldnt find anything on amazon or half.com

As for Dead Rising the guide is useful for getting a lot of missable stuff. Plus a few RE guides are hard to find

For DWG I meant the game, not the guide. Sorry I didn't clarify.

It was selling for $15-20 a few weeks ago at local shops, and once I realized it was going for $45 used they were all gone. >_>

[quote name='darkslime']For DWG I meant the game, not the guide. Sorry I didn't clarify.

It was selling for $15-20 a few weeks ago at local shops, and once I realized it was going for $45 used they were all gone. >_>[/QUOTE]

Really? For what system? I saw a copy somewhere... but I wish I could remember where.

[quote name='raygouley0428']is a virtua boy rare i got three of them from my cousins if it is can u send me a message telling me so[/quote]
If they're complete I think they are at least 50, probably more, don't know off the top of my head

[quote name='Geoff Mendicino']Err, with all due respect, that might not be 100% accurate, because I've actually seen eBay prices go up to $500 for a legit Darkstalkers cabinet, and that's without the shipping.

Ah well, the game is awesome and I'm not sure if I can part with it any more.[/quote]maybe at a good day it would go at that price. remember that these are being auctioned off on ebay, their prices may vary due to the fact that no 2 listings from 2 different entities are the same. i dont remember darkstalker's arcades at all other than the first and 3rd installment being released here in the u.s. (not the console versions). but if you know or have an idea (ie seeing how much they go for on ebay), i think you know yourself how much they should be worth. i've been looking for an arcade cabinets for awhile (not anymore, since i have a family now and have no place for it) and ive seen these go from $50 (with broken parts) to $300 (mint and complete) on ebay. fighter cabinets are specially rare since they have the multiplayer option unlike other arcades. since they are cheaper to make and cheaper to buy, they are sought after.

theres not as many cabinets on ebay now than before (4 to 6 years ago!). people usually go local now, like craigslist.

[quote name='Vinny']I wish I could remember where I saw it... it was only a few days ago but I've been to 4 different stores that day.:whistle2:k[/quote] Call all 4 that you went to and ask if they have it.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']Is it worth holding on to Futurama (Xbox) or should I sell it?[/quote]
Keep it. Those are hard to find.

I wish I had a portable version of this thread. I was at a garage sale, and they had all these $3 PS2 games that I had no idea of they were worth anything (eg: Dynasty Warrios 3: Xtreme Legends)

[quote name='blackbird3216']is beyond good and evil for the GC rare? i can't find it anywhere.[/quote]someone had asked about it before on this very thread. it was going for $40+ for a used copy on ebay but now it seems like you can get one for less than $30 most the time. it was right around the time when the announcement for a 2nd installment that it went up.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']Is it worth holding on to Futurama (Xbox) or should I sell it?[/quote]

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Keep it. Those are hard to find.
this

I wish I had a portable version of this thread. I was at a garage sale, and they had all these $3 PS2 games that I had no idea of they were worth anything (eg: Dynasty Warrios 3: Xtreme Legends)[/quote]dynasty warriors would be worth something in the future. they were not that bad, its just that they were all too similar to play. i'd buy it if its complete, if not, its good for trade to goozex :)

[quote name='phear3d']maybe at a good day it would go at that price. remember that these are being auctioned off on ebay, their prices may vary due to the fact that no 2 listings from 2 different entities are the same. i dont remember darkstalker's arcades at all other than the first and 3rd installment being released here in the u.s. (not the console versions). but if you know or have an idea (ie seeing how much they go for on ebay), i think you know yourself how much they should be worth. i've been looking for an arcade cabinets for awhile (not anymore, since i have a family now and have no place for it) and ive seen these go from $50 (with broken parts) to $300 (mint and complete) on ebay. fighter cabinets are specially rare since they have the multiplayer option unlike other arcades. since they are cheaper to make and cheaper to buy, they are sought after.

theres not as many cabinets on ebay now than before (4 to 6 years ago!). people usually go local now, like craigslist.[/quote]

I guess it's just a freak coincidence. That's cool, though.

That's a good idea about CraigsList. I need to find a Phoenix copy of DarkStalkers first before I feel complete.

How much do you think Marvel Vs. Capcom would go for, anyway?

Just how limited is the MGS4 LE? This released back in June and I was quite suprised to see one still for sale at a Gamestop yesterday.

[quote name='Josef']Just how limited is the MGS4 LE? This released back in June and I was quite suprised to see one still for sale at a Gamestop yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was that limited honestly but it seems like every GS here and there got a lot more copies than the other stores.

Yeah, I still see some copies of the MGS4 LE at the GS stores I check out, but they usually only have the display copy. Anyway, you can get it for less than retail on eBay, so it's certainly not rare.

Bravo Music: Christmas Edition (PS2)? I spotted a copy at Salvation Army this morning - didn't know what it was until I got home and googled "Christmas Edition PS2" - the game's in Japanese.

[quote name='david12795']This guy was selling eternal darkness at a flea market, sealed new for 20 bucks.

Think i shoud've got it?[/quote]

Consider used can be sold for $20 on ebay, yes.

[quote name='david12795']This guy was selling eternal darkness at a flea market, sealed new for 20 bucks.

Think i shoud've got it?[/QUOTE]

I sold my used copy for $25 this past week. Videogamepricecharts.com is a good place to start when curious about prices of games. Eternal Darkness goes for $50 new, or is said to, if you can find a buyer.

Eh it doesn't matter. he had like 4 copies and im going down there again next weekend :p

I guess I should get it then. but it looked like to me he could have sealed it himself or something.

[quote name='Geoff Mendicino']
How much do you think Marvel Vs. Capcom would go for, anyway?[/quote]on ebay, youll probably spend around $400 including shipping. these cabinets would be worth alot of money one day, as capcom would once again in the future make a 3rd installment due to demand. buying them piece by piece might be easier on the pocket but eventually will cost you more. if you are thinking of buying it on ebay, an incomplete cabinet might be cheaper, like missing its original marque and controller guides, etc.

check this one out that ended at $227

you could also check out a local arcade/amusement centers, those guys who put gumball machines at super markets, or those .25 cents have rides at store fronts, etc. to see if they will sell arcades if they have them. at least you know its working by testing it and it shouldn't cost you to ship it since its local.

theres also super auctions in las vegas.

[quote name='david12795']Eh it doesn't matter. he had like 4 copies and im going down there again next weekend :p

I guess I should get it then. but it looked like to me he could have sealed it himself or something.[/quote]

It's very easy to tell between resealed and factory sealed items for regular sized, normal box games. The Y-fold seal on the top and bottom of the box pretty much ensures that it's factory sealed. If it's shrink wrapped, then you've got a resealer.

[quote name='phear3d']check this site out for those who are looking to find out if their games are worth something. http://rarityguide.com/index.php[/QUOTE]

Not very extensive but very accurate I'd say. Bookmarked it for later use, could be really handy if they get more games in there.

[quote name='Vinny']Not very extensive but very accurate I'd say. Bookmarked it for later use, could be really handy if they get more games in there.[/quote]yeah i noticed that they had just started. i saw the link or mention at Gamesniped.

[quote name='Vinny']Not very extensive but very accurate I'd say. Bookmarked it for later use, could be really handy if they get more games in there.[/quote]

They listed Silent Hill on the PSX as scarce... it's worth money but definitely not something I'd consider "scarce". You'd never have trouble hunting down a copy of that.

Going through my old stuff, getting down to the last of it, the rare stuff and oddities.

Found a Action Replay for the Genesis. Remember picking it up in Omaha about 10 years ago.

Can't find any information on it. Yes, it is American, distributed by some company in Florida. Not that big of a deal, sure it isn't worth much. Just weird.

[quote name='Rozz']They listed Silent Hill on the PSX as scarce... it's worth money but definitely not something I'd consider "scarce". You'd never have trouble hunting down a copy of that.[/QUOTE]

A few mistakes here and there, no big deal. If you look at the supply vs demand, you could consider it very scarce.

But just as VGPC is good for seeing trends, this site is good for getting a more accurate real time value. More references are always better, IMO.

if you consider scarce to be a B&M issue, i would definitely have to agree with the site. ebay, amazon, half, etc are pretty much the only places i'd be able to find SH Ps1. the last time i saw it at a b&m store was almost 4 years ago and i sold it for around $60 sealed.

Year's ago (was probaly 13 at the time) i went to a Toys R US here in miami,
and they had a full row of Tactics's Ogre for PSX games on a rack
10$ each.

I ended up buying one, I was to busy to get into it at the time and ended up selling the disc at school to this kid i knew for 3 dollars + a game mag (LOL)
But i kept the jewel case artworks shown here
http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/psx/tactics.jpg

Later on i discovered that tactics ogre is worth 100$+

Anyhow how much do you think i could sell the jewel case cover and backing for? without the game.

Also how rare is Bucky O' hare for NES worth,good condition.

I think you could get $30 total for them, at the least. You should list them separately though, I think they would get you more as you'll them get more bids: from those who just want the case and from those who just want the manual and from those who want both. If you list them together, someone who only wants the manual/case might not bid as much.

[quote name='Corpse']Year's ago (was probaly 13 at the time) i went to a Toys R US here in miami,
10$ each.

I ended up buying one, I was to busy to get into it at the time and ended up selling the disc at school to this kid i knew for 3 dollars + a game mag (LOL)
But i kept the jewel case artworks shown here
http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/psx/tactics.jpg

Later on i discovered that tactics ogre is worth 100$+

Anyhow how much do you think i could sell the jewel case cover and backing for? without the game.

Also how rare is Bucky O' hare for NES worth,good condition.[/QUOTE]
take the cost of a complete copy minus the cost of a disc only copy should be what you would get.

[quote name='Rozz']They listed Silent Hill on the PSX as scarce... it's worth money but definitely not something I'd consider "scarce". You'd never have trouble hunting down a copy of that.[/quote]

Hello this is Ron from RarityGuide.com, thanks for your comments.

Regarding our rarity ratings, we do not measure how "rare" a game is just by how many of it are out there or how hard it is to find one. Instead, we consider many additional factors such as age, demand, popularity and collectibility. You are right in saying that you would never have trouble hunting down a copy of that. In fact, you can find more copies of Silent Hill on eBay than Formula 98 (which is not so popular). Does that mean Formula 98 should get a higher rating? Most likely not. The Formula 98s will probably have a low succesfull sell rate, while the Silent Hill will sell most of the times because of the higher rarity rating.

That being said, I agree that "Scarce" can be misleading in this context. We will review the terminology used and see how we can improve it to prevent such confusion.

Currently there indeed aren't that many categories on the website since it just launched. While some degree of automation is employed in determining rarities and values, we manually go over all the figures and perform extensive market research before publishing, and this takes time. Still, we decided to launch early so that the data compiled so far can be of benefit to others. In a sense, the guide will never be "complete" since there are always more categories that can be added.

[quote name='chronodev']Hello this is Ron from RarityGuide.com, thanks for your comments.

Regarding our rarity ratings, we do not measure how "rare" a game is just by how many of it are out there or how hard it is to find one. Instead, we consider many additional factors such as age, demand, popularity and collectibility. You are right in saying that you would never have trouble hunting down a copy of that. In fact, you can find more copies of Silent Hill on eBay than Formula 98 (which is not so popular). Does that mean Formula 98 should get a higher rating? Most likely not. The Formula 98s will probably have a low succesfull sell rate, while the Silent Hill will sell most of the times because of the higher rarity rating.

That being said, I agree that "Scarce" can be misleading in this context. We will review the terminology used and see how we can improve it to prevent such confusion.

Currently there indeed aren't that many categories on the website since it just launched. While some degree of automation is employed in determining rarities and values, we manually go over all the figures and perform extensive market research before publishing, and this takes time. Still, we decided to launch early so that the data compiled so far can be of benefit to others. In a sense, the guide will never be "complete" since there are always more categories that can be added.[/quote] Thanks for making the site. ^_^

Its good to have another place to compare prices. You guys should have obscure things that VGPC doesn't also.

[quote name='Corpse']Year's ago (was probaly 13 at the time) i went to a Toys R US here in miami,
10$ each.
[/quote]
they had Tales of Destiny II for the Ps1 at BJ's, for $4.99 and it sat there for months and months. they had the whole row full of it when ps1 games were being clearanced. im sure an employee or someone hoarded them when they eventually became rare/scarce.

[quote name='Corpse']
Anyhow how much do you think i could sell the jewel case cover and backing for? without the game.[/quote]i bought my art covers and manual for $20 total. not including the original jewel case. i just took my tobal case. i was waiting forever to buy a copy when it was still going for $90 used. eventually someone traded it on goozex. it was worth the wait. i was also able to get ogre battle on goozex.

you should put a BIN price of $25 to $30. should be good.

[quote name='phear3d']they had Tales of Destiny II for the Ps1 at BJ's, for $4.99 and it sat there for months and months. they had the whole row full of it when ps1 games were being clearanced. im sure an employee or someone hoarded them when they eventually became rare/scarce.

i bought my art covers and manual for $20 total. not including the original jewel case. i just took my tobal case. i was waiting forever to buy a copy when it was still going for $90 used. eventually someone traded it on goozex. it was worth the wait. i was also able to get ogre battle on goozex.

you should put a BIN price of $25 to $30. should be good.[/quote]

Ah, reminds me of the stack of FFVII I saw at Kmart when I was younger, 14.99, nobody would ever buy those. And then when the games were first going at 50 on ebay, I remember telling myself that it was probably a price spike and it would be around 20 again in a month. Whoops.....

Yea at one point games like Panzer Dragoon Saga were dirt cheap when TRU was clearing out Saturn games.

Yeah I remember when all those games were $20 a shot. PDS, House of the Dead, Burning Rangers,

I used to buy copies of Saturn Bomberman from Funcoland for $6 and resell them on the net for $40. They always wondered why I bought so many, and kept bringing them into the store for me to buy. lol

bread's done
Back