The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

I know Metal Gear Solid for GBC goes for an alright amount, but are we talking game only or complete? I can get a cart only copy up here for $5.99, and I've been wanting to pull the trigger, but I keep backing off. Anybody able to help out if that's a worthy enough price for picking it up at?

[quote name='ninja dog']It got a pretty big reprint a few years back. GQD got them new and then just about every gamestop got opened new copies that they sold as used games. I wanna say this was 2006 or so? maybe 2005?[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm willing to bet the one that I got was before the reprint, though I'd have to look at some old journal entries / gamestop receipts to know for sure. :) For this one somebody put permanent marker through the bar code--maybe it was some sort of promotional or demonstration copy?

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Interesting. I'm willing to bet the one that I got was before the reprint, though I'd have to look at some old journal entries / gamestop receipts to know for sure. :) For this one somebody put permanent marker through the bar code--maybe it was some sort of promotional or demonstration copy?[/QUOTE]

No, GS was doing that when they were selling new copies as used since they didn't carry new PSX titles any more. You got the reprint. It's not a bad thing mind you.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I know Metal Gear Solid for GBC goes for an alright amount, but are we talking game only or complete? I can get a cart only copy up here for $5.99, and I've been wanting to pull the trigger, but I keep backing off. Anybody able to help out if that's a worthy enough price for picking it up at?[/QUOTE]
its not a bad pickup if its cart only. its definitely worth alot more complete though. there was a sealed copy that just sold for more than $200.

[quote name='phear3d']its not a bad pickup if its cart only. its definitely worth alot more complete though. there was a sealed copy that just sold for more than $200.[/QUOTE]

I have a nice complete and mint copy that I got in a trade, along with Advance Wars, and all I had to give up with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS3).

[quote name='phear3d']its not a bad pickup if its cart only. its definitely worth alot more complete though. there was a sealed copy that just sold for more than $200.[/QUOTE]

It seems like I only come in here with MGS questions... Thanks for the response though! I did check out some completed Ebay auctions and it looks like if I get lucky, I could get around $20 for it, which isn't too bad. Maybe I'll just pick it up and have another item to throw in a lowball sale soon. Thanks for the response though!

[quote name='MasterSun1']I have a nice complete and mint copy that I got in a trade, along with Advance Wars, and all I had to give up with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS3).[/QUOTE]

Oof, lucky :cry: I hope you are happy... Haha

Hey all, usually I dont have to come here to ask about rarity of a game, but im stumped..

I found a copy of Gameshark for Sega CD the other day in a CD case bundled with some CDs. Has anyone sold any or seen them around before? Thanks!

PS - Its just the actual "game", no case or manuals.

How rare is battletoads? I found a guy on craigslist with two copies for $5/each. I'm tempted to get them just have a couple copies. :p

Hello, I have a copy of American McGee's Alice for the PC (NA Retail version) with everything except for the original box. I have seen a couple of auctions for it but the price seems to vary GREATLY. I've seen auctions of it for it as little as $40 which seems to be because it's a UK import "value software" re-release and a complete retail copy for as much as $200 and a "CD only" copy for $90. Now, how rare is my copy? It has the original jewel case with inserts and everything in awesome condition as well are the CDs. The manual is impeccable too. I'd appreciate some info. Thank you very much in advance. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d from walmart for $30. I notice it sells for a good bit on sites but is it hard to get a sealed copy these days? my walmart had it sitting in a bin with a bunch of other games.

[quote name='ThePicklator']Hello, I have a copy of American McGee's Alice for the PC (NA Retail version) with everything except for the original box. I have seen a couple of auctions for it but the price seems to vary GREATLY. I've seen auctions of it for it as little as $40 which seems to be because it's a UK import "value software" re-release and a complete retail copy for as much as $200 and a "CD only" copy for $90. Now, how rare is my copy? It has the original jewel case with inserts and everything in awesome condition as well are the CDs. The manual is impeccable too. I'd appreciate some info. Thank you very much in advance. :D[/QUOTE]

Every time I've looked in the past year or two, it's been about $40-$50 for case + disks. And looking at completed auctions, it sells for $25-$45 now for case + disks, and $80ish complete. I really doubt it sells as high as $200 though. Probably was highest when the new Alice movie came out.

I see. Thanks man. I thought those asking prices seemed a bit high. I don't think they'll sell them if they start the auctions at 80 USD. I see people asking $40 for scratched CDs only! For some reason these people made me think that my copy was super valuable or something. I think I'm going to try and auction it off soon because of the sequel.

[quote name='ThePicklator']I see. Thanks man. I thought those asking prices seemed a bit high. I don't think they'll sell them if they start the auctions at 80 USD. I see people asking $40 for scratched CDs only! For some reason these people made me think that my copy was super valuable or something. I think I'm going to try and auction it off soon because of the sequel.[/QUOTE]

It is valuable, just not as high as $200. I did get a little envious till you said you didn't have the box. I have the disks + case only from when I found it at Goodwill for $6, so I can't complain.

[quote name='elessar123']It is valuable, just not as high as $200. I did get a little envious till you said you didn't have the box. I have the disks + case only from when I found it at Goodwill for $6, so I can't complain.[/QUOTE]

I actually got a complete boxed copy of the game (Ice Wand version) off of Amazon for $16 in March. I love it when people don't research pricing before listing stuff.

I sold a complete U.S. copy of Alice a year ago for about $50. Was shocked to see that and Vampire Bloodlines going for around that price.

It doesn't seem like people pay as much attention to rare PC games.

One good one that I seem to always find (I've gotten about 7 over the years) is Mario Teaches Typing. I always get about $30 for disc only copies!

my sealed copy of Brain Lord only went up to $49...thought I'd get more for it. it was at $10.99 until the last 30 seconds, I was so pissed for the last 10 minutes of the auction. :lol: I only paid $10 for it though, so I'm glad it paid for some other games I want to play with the profit.

Yeah, I bought my copy brand new at a Target sometime in early '02 I believe. I've kept it ever since because I absolutely loved the game. I kept the original box for a long time but then had to throw it away because of my parents. Something about having boxes piled high of nothing but PC games... lol. I still have both manuals though... the one with the installation guide and the actual game manual. By the way, I highly recommend all of you with the game to actually play it even though it's rare. It's actually very well made and has some very twisted imaginative renderings (not in the technical 3D sense). And if you're worried about the game CDs getting scratched or damaged in any way, there's ways around the CD check... not gonna talk about that here as I don't think I'm allowed to do so. Just know that from what I understand it's perfectly within legal boundaries as long as you own a copy. Do yourselves a favor and enjoy the game because I absolutely love it!

Didn't know Alice was valuable, I think I still have my copy around here from when my mom played the game lol. You might want to hold onto them for a year or so, I believe there's a sequel coming out.

Any ideas as to how rare/worth complete original versions of Secret of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion (for IBM, 3.5 floppies) are?

Searched completed listings for ebay and found nothing on either.

[quote name='eastshore4']Didn't know Alice was valuable, I think I still have my copy around here from when my mom played the game lol. You might want to hold onto them for a year or so, I believe there's a sequel coming out.[/QUOTE]

The reason Alice is worth so much is because it is not on Steam or in print at the moment. It'd be stupid to believe that EA wouldn't release this on Steam before the sequel launches. If you've got a copy you want to sell, I'd sell it around Christmas before EA gets the game on Steam.

i have one and maybe its just my area, skimmed through most of the posts and didnt see it.

one piece unlimited adventure for the wii. i had in my hands twice when it just came out, ever since about 2 weeks of it being out i havent seen it again except on ebay, was it just a limited release or is it rare?

[quote name='ninja dog']One good one that I seem to always find (I've gotten about 7 over the years) is Mario Teaches Typing. I always get about $30 for disc only copies![/QUOTE]

$30!?!?!? I just got one recently at a garage sale for 25c thinking it was for PC, turned out to be for Mac...

Hey guys...i need help figuring out what this is. I posted it in the yardsale thread also, but figured i'd post it in here also. Any ideas?
100_0235-1.jpg

It says MouseTrap handwritten on the sticker on the chip.
Theres also a toggle switch there too.....
100_0234-1-1.jpg

[quote name='enemyofusall']Just got a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d from walmart for $30. I notice it sells for a good bit on sites but is it hard to get a sealed copy these days? my walmart had it sitting in a bin with a bunch of other games.[/QUOTE]
its not really worth much right now. if anything, the second game was the one that went up during peace walker launch. but it went down as quickly as it went up. kmart's the only place to find MGAcid2 these days and i think i paid $15 for it.

[quote name='wesdw369']
one piece unlimited adventure for the wii. i had in my hands twice when it just came out, ever since about 2 weeks of it being out i havent seen it again except on ebay, was it just a limited release or is it rare?[/QUOTE]
it wasnt limited because TRU had it on their front-lane roster before it went oop. the game featured characters never before seen in the u.s. version of the show when it came out. its an ok game but i dont think its all that great so i dont think they'll reprint this.

i dont know how much the sealed copies were going for these days, but i sold one months ago for $70.

[quote name='wesdw369']
one piece unlimited adventure for the wii. i had in my hands twice when it just came out, ever since about 2 weeks of it being out i havent seen it again except on ebay, was it just a limited release or is it rare?[/QUOTE]
it was limited because TRU had it on their front-lane roster before it went oop. the game featured characters never before seen in the u.s. version of the show when it came out. its an ok game but i dont think its all that great so i dont think they'll reprint this.

i dont know how much the sealed copies were going for these days, but i sold one months ago for $70.

[quote name='Doomstink']The reason Alice is worth so much is because it is not on Steam or in print at the moment. It'd be stupid to believe that EA wouldn't release this on Steam before the sequel launches. If you've got a copy you want to sell, I'd sell it around Christmas before EA gets the game on Steam.[/QUOTE]
Well, color me stupid. Seriously though, I don't follow pc gaming alot, do they tend to do this often? Putting older/rarer games on steam when a sequel or whatever is about to release?

[quote name='lude21']Hey guys...i need help figuring out what this is. I posted it in the yardsale thread also, but figured i'd post it in here also. Any ideas?
100_0235-1.jpg

It says MouseTrap handwritten on the sticker on the chip.
Theres also a toggle switch there too.....
100_0234-1-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Can you put some other games by it for size comparison? My first guess is Mouse Trap Hotel beta cart for the Gameboy, but the connectors on the bottom seem too small (assuming the case is GB sized).

Edit: Never mind, it is probably a beta cart of Mouse Trap for the Coleco Vision.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']$30!?!?!? I just got one recently at a garage sale for 25c thinking it was for PC, turned out to be for Mac...[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the mac version. The last one I got was last year I think-- went for $25-30.

Well, I just got a sega genesis with 21 games(no box, but works) and a 32X complete mint in-box from a college kid at a half priced books yesterday. It came with 7 32x games, including

Virtua Fighter
NFL club quarterback
Super Space Harrier
NBA Jam
After Burner
Spider-man Web of Fire
Knuckles Chaotix

Apparently the last 2 are kind of rare, can anyone confirm for me? Im not interested in keeping the Genesis or the 32x, and plan to sell or trade them - scanning ebay gave me a rough estimate, but though I would post here for some advice..

Thanks!

Ebay isn't just a rough estimate, it's THE estimate, search completed listings and you can get a good average selling price. I'm too lazy to check it now, but I remember hearing some pretty crazy numbers for Web of Fire. The 32X system itself should also do you well given the condition.

[quote name='eastshore4']Ebay isn't just a rough estimate, it's THE estimate, search completed listings and you can get a good average selling price. I'm too lazy to check it now, but I remember hearing some pretty crazy numbers for Web of Fire. The 32X system itself should also do you well given the condition.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I checked, and there's only one copy up on ebay right now, and none on the completed listings, so I guess its up to me. The complete one up there right now is listed as $225, but not sure if I should use that as a base or not:headache:

Thanks! I checked, and there's only one copy up on ebay right now, and none on the completed listings, so I guess its up to me. The complete one up there right now is listed as $225, but not sure if I should use that as a base or not:headache:

you sure you checked completed listings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spider-Man-Web-...erMan-/330455969131?pt=US_Vintage_Video_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/32X-Amazing-Spiderman-Web-Fire-Complete-/170513722139?pt=Video_Games_Games

I would suggest a BIN at $150

Last edited:
Thank you east! I only see 2 different auctions when I check the completed listings section, I must have had a filter on or something, thanks again!

[quote name='Potatoeman']Well, I just got a sega genesis with 21 games(no box, but works) and a 32X complete mint in-box from a college kid at a half priced books yesterday. It came with 7 32x games, including

Virtua Fighter
NFL club quarterback
Super Space Harrier
NBA Jam
After Burner
Spider-man Web of Fire
Knuckles Chaotix

Apparently the last 2 are kind of rare, can anyone confirm for me? Im not interested in keeping the Genesis or the 32x, and plan to sell or trade them - scanning ebay gave me a rough estimate, but though I would post here for some advice..

Thanks![/QUOTE]

How much did you pay so I know how much to applaud you? Seriously, that is an awesome find, a 32x in box with all cables will easily bring in $50-$75 or more. As you've already figured out Spider-Man is pretty much one of the rarest games out there. $150 is a solid price but you will have to sit on it. $125 would make for a quick sale (of the two items posted, I don't think the $150 one actually sold). Knuckles Chaotix should easily fetch $40 - $50 if it is complete.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the Genesis games? And again, how much did you pay? I think you may have stumbled on one of the best hauls of the year.

[quote name='Doomstink']How much did you pay so I know how much to applaud you? Seriously, that is an awesome find, a 32x in box with all cables will easily bring in $50-$75 or more. As you've already figured out Spider-Man is pretty much one of the rarest games out there. $150 is a solid price but you will have to sit on it. $125 would make for a quick sale (of the two items posted, I don't think the $150 one actually sold). Knuckles Chaotix should easily fetch $40 - $50 if it is complete.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the Genesis games? And again, how much did you pay? I think you may have stumbled on one of the best hauls of the year.[/QUOTE]

I paid $30 for everything.

Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and all cables

32x mint with everything it originally came with

7 32x games

The games vary in condition, but none are complete. Lots of stickers from video stores on the games, that kind of stuff. The spiderman game and knuckles are in good shape though;)

The genesis games came in the little game holder Genesis case and are below

Addams Family
Asterix and the Great Rescue
Batman Returns
Boogerman
Bubsy
Columns
Clayfighter
Demolition Man
Disney Aladdin
ESPN National Hockey Night
Hardball '95
Revolution X
Road Rash
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 2
Super Off-Road
Vectorman
Ultimate MK 3
Zoop

The strangest thing is at the store I was buying a Lunar 1 guide, and the guide told me he had the game listed on ebay - he had it in his car when I went with him. Now, why would he check only Lunar when he had tons of great stuff is beyond me.. Anyway, glad to know I got a good deal haha:D

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Any ideas as to how rare/worth complete original versions of Secret of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion (for IBM, 3.5 floppies) are?

Searched completed listings for ebay and found nothing on either.[/QUOTE]

Anything on this one, cheapassers?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm considering bidding on this auction on ShopGoodwill.com where there's what looks like a 200 in 1 NES cart in one of the pics, but I don't know if it's a rarity or not.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a Famicom game with a Honey Bee adaptor to play in the NES. Definately a bootleg and while I'm no expert on Famicom bootlegs I'd guess it's worth about $5.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Anything on this one, cheapassers?[/QUOTE]
the older pc games that comes complete are always going to be sought after. but since the market for rare and older pc games isnt really there just yet, some people just dont care how much they get for them as long as it sells. i find that if you set a price, a pretty good price, people would usually either offer or just buy it now. if youre the only person selling it in perfect condition, i dont see a problem setting it on the high side (maybe around $50-$100).

How rare is a brand-new-in-box Metallic Blue DSI bundle?
The one that was only available for black friday?

I searched ebay completed listings and all I could find were used ones and a lot of refurbished ones from the same seller.

[quote name='Hyper Bolt']How rare is a brand-new-in-box Metallic Blue DSI bundle?
The one that was only available for black friday?

I searched ebay completed listings and all I could find were used ones and a lot of refurbished ones from the same seller.[/QUOTE]
i would be weary of refurbished metallic blue dsi's. it could have been just a regular dsi but theyve replaced the case. the only way to tell is if they have the pre-installed games. the same happened with zelda ds lites.

they are pretty common at the moment (the sealed mario bundle) but they are expensive. the cheapest on amazon is $230 right now. these were selling for $180-$190 a few months ago but i guess all the cheap listings are now gone. expect to see it over $200 these days but there really isn't a demand for this yet so they'll be around.

bread's done
Back