The Kingdom Hearts II Thread! -*Possible Spoilers*

Glad it's easy...it'll make a great gift for my nephew when he gets a PS2. He'll flip out over the Disney characters.

I didn't even realize there were mangas... I've never read one before, but Amano's art style seems decent and they are cheap enough that I'll probably pick them up (each volume is under $5 at B&N with discount).

Too bad it's only KH 1... I hope they'll do more, espically Chain of Memories, then I'll never have to play that game again.

People compain about it being too easy, but did they ever consider there are 3 difficulty settings? I died 3 times before reaching the first boss on Proud Mode...

Axel just thrashed me bad on Proud Mode =/

This games production values are through the roof, and the VA's are amazing, I haven't yet heard one that has been horrible. Usually I always speed through the text in RPG's as soon as I read because of lousy VA's, but Square did an aweosme job imo assembling this crew.

Ahhh, an entertaining semi-rpg that isn't a time sink and has a very easy level of difficulty? I'm in! Seriously, my time for gaming is very limited, so that is good news to me. Who cares if a bunch of jaded game journalists who do nothing all day but play games thinks the game is a let down? Hope my local Compusa gets 'em in while the sale is still going on...

I was going to buy it today...but instead I decided to wait for the CC deal....how is it so far for anyone that has it? Better than the IGN review? What score would you give it?

[quote name='whoknows']I was going to buy it today...but instead I decided to wait for the CC deal....how is it so far for anyone that has it? Better than the IGN review? What score would you give it?[/QUOTE]

So far I'd give it like a 9 or a 9.5, but i'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fanboy.

Its not really as easy as IGN made it sound, so far, and I'm about 5 hours in. I got it from Best Buy so on Sunday I can just PM the CC ad.

Proud mode is actually pretty hard. The tutorial boss whupped my ass the first time I fought him, and the second time I barely beat him after blowing through all the healing items. I'm only about an hour and a half in though.

I'm really liking this difficulty. I hope it doesnt change.

Who here has bought it without finishing the first one?

Me! I didnt even finish the first level on the first game. Probobly wont open the 2nd one for a while. Good game, just takes too much time and have a backlog of games.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Who here has bought it without finishing the first one?

Me! I didnt even finish the first level on the first game. Probobly wont open the 2nd one for a while. Good game, just takes too much time and have a backlog of games.[/QUOTE]

I would actually recommend not even playing the second one until you finish the first... they just kind of dump you back into the game without ever explaining the first one... sure, they offer a kind of montage of events, but none of it will really make all that much sense.

[quote name='Roufuss']I would actually recommend not even playing the second one until you finish the first... they just kind of dump you back into the game without ever explaining the first one... sure, they offer a kind of montage of events, but none of it will really make all that much sense.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking too. I heard that missing out on the GBA version is like missing a good chunk of the story too. I was never intersted in the GBA version because of the card battles, so that one i'm skipping for sure.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thats what I was thinking too. I heard that missing out on the GBA version is like missing a good chunk of the story too. I was never intersted in the GBA version because of the card battles, so that one i'm skipping for sure.[/QUOTE]

Well... so far, from what I've played, they briefly talk about the events of the GBA version, so its not as necessary as knowing the plot of the entire first game.

You're not going to miss as much if you don't play the GBA version, and besides, just read a plot summary for that, its not worth going through that game.

so just got through the first 6 hours and i didn't want to look at the other KH2 thread because of the possible spoilers so im going to keep this thing spoiler free and if you post your impressions in here plz keep it as spoiler free as possible...

combat has been totally re-done it almost feels like it's been built from the ground up again. the quick time button pressing during baattle (ala god of war, POP two thrones) adds a whole new feel to the game and if done right can make your battles so much easier but if missed can make your battles a lot harder. the camera angles during battles are also redone and if caught in a corner at any time it is easy to swing the right aanalog stick to fix it. also, teaming up with party members for intense attacks and combos is AWESOME and very addicting to try and get a higher combo each time. and the duel wielding of keyblades is just badass, plain and simple.

magic, this time around i actually used it for once because i needed to (or felt it would make the battle easier). in the first game i didn't even bother to use it unless it was actually required to open a door (traverse town) or something.

gummi ship flights are sooooo much better as well. sure, they're not perfect but they have been improved to the point where i actually like playing them (i dreaded having to do them in the first game). it's fun to try and get a better score each time you play through a gummi ship flight. i havn't really tried the customization yet.

the story is piecing together very well and the cutscenes are also long and interesting enough to the point where they don't get boring, which is a major problem with most rpgs in my opinion. i don't want to dive into the story much to avoid spoilers.

i know ive missed some other things that impressed me but i want to go to sleep. i'll probably post a complete review whenever i finish the game.

soooooo what are your guys impressions? spoiler free pleaseee!

The problem with the new added feature of timing the special Triangle hits during battle is that it's always triangle. Whenever you're in a sequence when you know you have to hit triangle at the right time, you can just keep tapping it and you'll hit it right on time.

I love the game so far, don't get me wrong. I'm about 6 hours in too and I'll pick it back up tonight.

Hell I played through the whole first game and I don't remember the plot too well.

Possible Spoiler?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

All I remember is that you are fighting the heartless and they were released by some guy named Absom or something like that. I don't remember why he released them. I also forget what happened to the main characters (the three humans). Can anyone fill me back in?

I need a little refresher on the story as well. It's been a while (for me at least) since KH and my memory is crap. KHII should arrive at my house tomorrow. The package is in my city, but I ordered 3 day shipping so they're holding it so it doesn't arrive in two. :D

Maybe this has been asked before, but do I need to have beaten kingdom hearts 1 and the gba one to play and understand this game? Or will I be missing out? I always start kingdom hearts 1 and get bored in between. >>

Yes, you will be confused. The Kingdom Hearts 1 story is shown in the beginning using really fast flashback cutscenes. Probably won't make much sense to you. I actually do think you should know what happens in the GBA game to understand any of the intro section (or at least, the end part of the intro section).

[quote name='Backlash']Hell I played through the whole first game and I don't remember the plot too well.

Possible Spoiler?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

All I remember is that you are fighting the heartless and they were released by some guy named Absom or something like that. I don't remember why he released them. I also forget what happened to the main characters (the three humans). Can anyone fill me back in?[/quote]

Ansem is the name you're looking for. To put where they end up at the end of 1 in quick order,
Riku goes with King Mickey into the dark realm beyond Kingdom Hearts, Kairi goes back to Destiny Islands, but she loses all memories of Sora, and Sora sorta just goes somewhere. I forget exactly where he goes between the end of 1 and the beginning of CoM, but he went somewhere, looking for King Mickey and Riku.

[quote name='karsh']Ansem is the name you're looking for. To put where they end up at the end of 1 in quick order,
Riku goes with King Mickey into the dark realm beyond Kingdom Hearts, Kairi goes back to Destiny Islands, but she loses all memories of Sora, and Sora sorta just goes somewhere. I forget exactly where he goes between the end of 1 and the beginning of CoM, but he went somewhere, looking for King Mickey and Riku.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! So...

Riku ends up being a "good guy" again? I just cannot remember the end. I do remember him being in league with the bad guys though.

[quote name='Backlash']Thanks! So...

Riku ends up being a "good guy" again? I just cannot remember the end. I do remember him being in league with the bad guys though.
[/quote]

If I remember correctly, Riku's body is being controlled by Ansem for most of the game, and that's what leads up to the fight against Riku. Though I can't remember how he acts in CoM, where I believe he still fights against you. He's more like an anti-hero in a way.

[quote name='ShimSham']The problem with the new added feature of timing the special Triangle hits during battle is that it's always triangle. Whenever you're in a sequence when you know you have to hit triangle at the right time, you can just keep tapping it and you'll hit it right on time.

I love the game so far, don't get me wrong. I'm about 6 hours in too and I'll pick it back up tonight.[/quote]

very true and i noticed it too. im playing in normal mode. i wonder if that changes in hard mode? i was just thinking maybe it is done like that because a lot of younger kids, like 5 - 6 year olds, play kingdom hearts. even so, it still kick ass.

*Possible Spoilers*

I just beat the level based off of "Hercules", and, for the most part, the game is incredibly good. The only complaint I have is that the "Mulan" level sucked. It's like a frigin' curse; the first Disney-based level of every Kingdom Hearts game is horrendous (Alice in Wonderland in KH1).

I just got this game...and it's kinda confusing right now. Oh well, I know I'll understand everything soon. I love this game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Who here has bought it without finishing the first one?

Me! I didnt even finish the first level on the first game. Probobly wont open the 2nd one for a while. Good game, just takes too much time and have a backlog of games.[/QUOTE]

I havent finished the first one either. I just couldn't stand the combat system for too long in that game. Thankfully, I know pretty much the entire plot from synopsis I've read.

That and reading a plot synopsis for CoM is vital, imho. I was completely lost in the entire first part of the game until I read it, then things made all kinds of sense.

I hate anyone who said anything good about this game....now I can't keep myself from going out and buying it later today.

Thanks a lot :lol:

I just finished this game today at 30 hours and I have to say it was pretty dissappointing. I was a huge fan of the original but after waiting 4 years I was definetly expecting something much better. I wasnt a big fan of Chain of Memories either and I think thats where this series started on the slippery slope. While I dont agree with either of IGN or GS scores I would definetly give this game an 8; Its a good game just not what it could have been.

[quote name='Msia']I just finished this game today at 30 hours and I have to say it was pretty dissappointing. I was a huge fan of the original but after waiting 4 years I was definetly expecting something much better. I wasnt a big fan of Chain of Memories either and I think thats where this series started on the slippery slope. While I dont agree with either of IGN or GS scores I would definetly give this game an 8; Its a good game just not what it could have been.[/QUOTE]
So...what difficulty did you play it on? What difficulty would you recommend?

Did you find the combat as "button mashy" as people are saying?

[quote name='whoknows']So...what difficulty did you play it on? What difficulty would you recommend?

Did you find the combat as "button mashy" as people are saying?[/quote] Yeah the combat is totally button mashy. Now with the inclusion of the reactive commands on triangle, you will find yourself on some boss fights, and even some of the regular fights, taking your right hand off the controller just to be smashing triangle and x simulatenously. There are some really cool boss fights especially the last one so its definetly worth playing through but like I was saying its just wasnt as good as experience as the original (even with its minor flaws). I played it on the normal difficulty and I would say about 70% of the game is pretty easy to moderate. Even towards the end the last few fights are a little bit of a challenge but not on the same level of difficulty that the original was. If you had to make a choice what to play right now I would go for Suikoden V over this game but that is just me and tastes will vary.

[quote name='Msia']Yeah the combat is totally button mashy. Now with the inclusion of the reactive commands on triangle, you will find yourself on some boss fights, and even some of the regular fights, taking your right hand off the controller just to be smashing triangle and x simulatenously. There are some really cool boss fights especially the last one so its definetly worth playing through but like I was saying its just wasnt as good as experience as the original (even with its minor flaws). I played it on the normal difficulty and I would say about 70% of the game is pretty easy to moderate. Even towards the end the last few fights are a little bit of a challenge but not on the same level of difficulty that the original was. If you had to make a choice what to play right now I would go for Suikoden V over this game but that is just me and tastes will vary.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, but thanks for the response. I was going to go pick this game up soon, but now I am not so sure...I may still pick it up for $40 on Sunday...but I guess I might just use my money at Gamestop instead on the B2G1F...

I just beat the game.

:applause:

Great game, worth my 27 hours.

Possible spoilers

The ending had much more closure to it than KH1 did, however this one still leaves itself open for a sequel if you consider what baddies, who played a big role in the game, survived. Also, if you watch the secret video at the end of the game (done by completing hard or getting 100% on normal) you'll see more hints a sequel, I think.

Real Spoilers
I really want to go back and start a new game now that I know who is what and what's going on. It'll be nice knowing that Riku is actually the guy that looks like Ansem from the first game, who isn't actually Ansem but Ansem's assistant and all that jazz. It was all really confusing until the very end

i'm playing on 'proud' (i.e. hard) and the difficulty feels about normal. i've died a few times with several bosses but overall it feels about the right level of difficulty, maybe a bit on the easy side. i'd hate to think what playing on normal or easy would have been like.

but i'm loving it. 18 hours in and loving every bit of it. ^_^

Well, I just got it and its fun...my only complaints are....Sora sounds too...different (yes I know, the voice actor is older now blah blah blah) but he still sounds like a completley different person.

And the other thing... Roxas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sora IMO :p (not really a reason..but yeah)

Anyone who has beaten it, does Roxas come back? No spoilers, just yes/no.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone who has beaten it, does Roxas come back? No spoilers, just yes/no.[/quote]
sort've.
That's really the best one word answer that can be given to that question.

[quote name='eau']Never played the KH before. Would it be a disadvantage if I jump straight into KH 2 instead?[/quote] I didn't play KH: Chain of Memories on the GBA, the game inbetween 1 and 2 and I was confused for a while.

They do make an attempt to go back and recap what's already happened, but I don't think anyone who didn't play the first one would understand what's going on. .

Beating the first is definetly required. It probably wouldnt hurt to read a plot synopsis of CoM but yeah some knowledge of it wouldnt hurt.

i am about 22 hours into this game, and i love it so far! I am in agrabah (for the 2nd time) as of right now... i'm hoping to get further tonight... i got a couple free hours to devote to it!

edit: i'm gonna change the title of this topic to the official KH 2 thread

beat the game last night at level 72 with ultima and fenrir and all forms (except wisdom) at lvl 7. the game wasn't very hard on proud mode and even the last bosses at the end weren't that difficult. not to say that i didn't die a couple times (twice to demyx and once to xaldin) but once you figured out what to do, it wasn't rough at all. sephiroth was the only crazy challenge and i survived with 11 elixirs, 7 ethers and 20 minutes of trinity/run away/trinity/run away.

that said, the whole final battle sequence (the last hour of the game), not just the final boss but starting from the very last save point in the game onward, was fucking EPIC!! my god, it justified the full 50 bucks I spent to have the game on day one. anyone else agree? the secret ending was weird but i just bought a capture card off of newegg solely to record that last hour because man, moments like that are rare in video games.

anyhoo, just thought I'd rant about how much I loved the ending. great game!! ^_^

Yeah I really liked the ending of the game, and you're right Sephiroth is just crazy. I still havent' beaten him but I stopped playing the game since I beat it. I'm going to play it again when I get done with some of my backlog.

I got this the other day and I'm about 5 hours into the game. I've beaten the first two levels and Beast's level, and I'm working on Mulan's level right now. So far I've been pretty disappointed. The combat is really easy and the game has way too many cut scenes (and I'm not even 100% sure what is going on. I played KH1 about 2 years ago and I haven't played CoM). Plus, the part with Roxas was boring.
On the plus side the spaceship parts are better then the first game, but that's not much to brag about.
I hope it gets better.

I just beat the Pirates of The Carribean level and I must say...Jack sucks. I lost to the boss so many times because Jack kept dying.

Now that I complained about that, I have a question:

When does the 1000 heartless battle come?
My friend told me about it and I am dying to play it.

[quote name='whoknows']I just beat the Pirates of The Carribean level and I must say...Jack sucks. I lost to the boss so many times because Jack kept dying.

Now that I complained about that, I have a question:

When does the 1000 heartless battle come?
My friend told me about it and I am dying to play it.[/QUOTE]

it is when you return to the hollow bastion after your first run through of all the worlds

[quote name='Jaket']it is when you return to the hollow bastion after your first run through of all the worlds[/quote]Yep, it's the halfway point of the game and arguably the best.

bread's done
Back