The Last Guardian

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']I'd be surprised if the griffon didn't die at the end.[/QUOTE]

This. That's one of the first thoughts that ran through my head after watching the video. If ICO and SotC are any indication of this game then something will happen to the cat/dog/rat/bird/*insert random creature*. Either way I'm looking VERY forward to this game. I loved ICO and SotC(more) they were great gaming experiences.

[quote name='js1']If ICO and SotC are any indication of this game then something will happen to the cat/dog/rat/bird/*insert random creature*.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who knows about how ICO had a completely happy ending?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Am I the only one who knows about how ICO had a completely happy ending?[/QUOTE]

No. I knew it did, but it did have me pretty pissed at first..Until after the credits rolled. I at first was like:hot:,:cry:, then I was like :whistle2:s,:bouncy:,:applause:. One of the cooler ending parts of a game evar.

well it has a lions tail... some of the have very short fur down their lower half and tail in hotter regions. if u look close you can see the trademark fluff of long fur on the tip of the tail. i only see 2 animals which also make a griffon- a lion/cat and some eagle/bird features . the beak wings, feather ,and talons.

i gusss the way it sways could be what could be triggering the view of a rat tail.

Funny how everyone is so concerned about what type of animal it is. I mean, did you guys do this with SoTC???::: "It's a bear's structure, with a stonehenge head, and claws of a raptor. Combine the three and I think it's called a boner?!"
But to throw my 2 cents in...I agree with Vanigan[quote name='Vanigan']
Foremost, it's a Colossus, a baby one at that.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit the trailer is impressive, but it doesn't tell us ANYTHING about gameplay. Is it going to play like Ico with all the puzzles and saving the princess crap? Will it be more like SotC with all the Colossi type puzzles? Or will it be something completely new, just with the similar graphical styles? Is it a direct sequel to Ico or is it simply a relative to Ico (kind of like SotC was)?

[quote name='dallow']A mix of many things, like Vanigan said.
I mean, just look at the tail. Skinny, hairless, and the texture like that of a rat.[/QUOTE]
I don't think anybody is saying that it's a 100% pure gryphon, just the Team ICO version of a gryphon that takes after the colossi, too.

I guess when someone calls it gryphon, I expect it to be a gryphon. (you said, 'it's a gryphon, not 'a type of gryphon' which I would have agreed with)

For me, it's a Colossus.
A super cute one.

@ dallow
I guess when someone calls it gryphon, I expect it to be a gryphon. (you said, 'it's a gryphon, not 'a type of gryphon' which I would have agreed with)

For me, it's a Colossus.
A super cute one.
Looks like a baby griffon to me - beak, lion contour and tail, feathers, talons. I Googled 'shadow of the colossus' since I never played a Team Ico game before and those colossus don't look similar to this baby griffon at all, as the colossuses I see all look like walking stone monuments.

I really can't wait for this game. Artists third attempt tends to be very special. First tends to be raw and unrefined, second being rushed and bit lost but that's not a waste since they got to experiment and explore the limits of their talents. Third try is when everything comes together: talent, skill, and vision.

For anyone wondering, the music in the leaked trailer is from the Coen brothers movie Miller's Crossing. Finally figured out why it was so familiar.

I wonder what the music in the actual game will be like? The Miller's Crossing track seems to fit so well, but I'm sure that the actual game will use original music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...it's still cute, but there are some pretty noticeable changes to the creature (and of course, the boy is very different). Strangely, less expressive, I think...the face is now a bit more rat-like, than cat-like.

I prefer the earlier version seen in the leaked video.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crystalklear64']Tragic event happens to child or creature. You know it.[/QUOTE]

I know:cry:, but it's going to be an awesome ride/experience(I hope).

Man, I guarantee this game is going to create a bond between you and that beast like no other game.

The beast and the child growing up may be a possibilty, since the creature looks young. I just really hope it doesn't go bad or we have to kill it ;_;

Incredible. fucking incredible.

The tweaks to the beast and boy's costume are much for the better. So that addresses my only minute complaints about the original trailer. The wait for this is going to murder me.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I want to play this, but I'm already not looking forward to the inevitable heartbreak when that thing dies...[/QUOTE]

I doubt that because they're both going to be needed in the sequel!

oh let... The Last Guardian is - GAME OF THE SHOW! TLG just took games up to another level. Graphically speaking.

Lots of splooging over this that I can't understand... never played a Team Ico game (first heard about them on the first day I used forums). Though I also heard just as much anticipation when Heavy Rain was shown (both developers seem to cater to the same vocal minority) and looking at the gameplay with the detective I'm hesitant to take this splooge feast serious. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Lots of splooging over this that I can't understand... never played a Team Ico game (first heard about them on the first day I used forums). Though I also heard just as much anticipation when Heavy Rain was shown (both developers seem to cater to the same vocal minority) and looking at the gameplay with the detective I'm hesitant to take this splooge feast serious. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Then how about you go and play one... go play Shadow of the Colossus. Because you never played any of the Team ICO game(s) this game just looks like another game. Essentially this game is the PS3's Halo (w/o the FPS action).

[quote name='Thomas96']Essentially this game is the PS3's Halo (w/o the FPS action).[/QUOTE]

That is a stunningly bad comparison.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Lots of splooging over this that I can't understand... never played a Team Ico game (first heard about them on the first day I used forums). and looking at the gameplay with the detective I'm hesitant to take this splooge feast serious. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

That's why. I played these two games(ICO & SOTC) and I was blown away by the great sense of adventure and I was in awe of the scope of the game(SOTC), especially on PS2 hardware.

But, like most games you won't get the same experience unless you are playing it at that current time.

You might get the emotional experience, but you won't find the graphics as impressive as they were at the time.

But to me, these two games along with MGS(PS1), and a few select others will always hold a special place for me in gaming.

So, with that said I am looking very forward to this game and hope that it gives me even a small portion of that adrenalin rush, sense of adventure, fantasy and awe of the world that team ICO creates once again.

Whoa, it said ICO as "The Last Guardian" faded in.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2qjyhaw.jpg

It's name (in Japan) is Toriko which apparently can mean a few things like prisoner and baby bird. It sounds like Trico which is neat, and someone pointed out seems like a combo of tori and neko (bird and cat). Good wordplay overall.

Nope... Can't play it. The Guardian looks and acts too much like My cat. Won't deal with the heartbreak inevitable.

Was watching the E3 trailer again today and noticed a nice little easter egg.

Near the beginning, right after the boy and griffin creature meet and the boy jumps on its head, as the camera pans up and the title starts to appear, 3 (modified) letters in the title appear in white faster than the rest so that those letters spell ICO.

Like this: The Last Guardian
but the L looks like this I, the G like this C, and the d like this o
The Iast Cuaroian.

Is this a PS3 exclusive title? I saw the trailer and i never played ICO, so i don't know what the fuss is about. All i know is that the trailer looks really cool! When this game coming out?

[quote name='Serpentor']Is this a PS3 exclusive title? I saw the trailer and i never played ICO, so i don't know what the fuss is about. All i know is that the trailer looks really cool! When this game coming out?[/QUOTE]
Yes it is exclusive, tenetively may 2010

[quote name='Serpentor']Is this a PS3 exclusive title? I saw the trailer and i never played ICO, so i don't know what the fuss is about. All i know is that the trailer looks really cool! When this game coming out?[/QUOTE]

Play Shadow of the Colossus, and you'll understand why so many of us are :drool: over this game. ICO was good as well, but SoC is in my Top 3 PS2 games.

I have a feeling this game will be GOTY for me.

Btw, can we get an edit of the thread title. It's no longer referred to as Project Trico, but the Last Guardian.

and shut up, don't jinx it dallow.

I havent played Ico or SotC so I hope they do a re-release similar to the God of War Collection before this comes out :)

[quote name='Dahk']I havent played Ico or SotC so I hope they do a re-release similar to the God of War Collection before this comes out :)[/QUOTE]

It would be nice. I already own PS2 copies of both, but considering how much Ico costs used, you'd almost be getting SotC for free. Plus, if it came with a demo for The Last Guardian...:drool: I'd probably buy it anyway, just so I could keep my PS2 copy of Ico pristine.

[quote name='Dahk']I havent played Ico or SotC so I hope they do a re-release similar to the God of War Collection before this comes out :)[/QUOTE]

Ever since they announced the GOW Collection there's been clamoring for a similar one for these games. No official word yet, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they did it. It probably depends on how well the GOWC sold. Does anyone know?

Apparently I've been under a rock, as I first heard of this game yesterday, despite loving Ico and SotC. This is definitely going to be a first day pickup for me. I, too, would love a God of War-like HD upgrade for those PS2 classics leading up to the release of this game.

This would be great... I never finished ICO and never had a chance to play SotC so I would love a chance to play both before The Last Guardian comes out.

bread's done
Back