The Last Guardian

According to vgchartz, GoW Collection sold about 750,000. ICO collection could possibly fetch 250,000 if that's true, depending on how well it's done and if there's any hype built up by Sony for it.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']According to vgchartz, GoW Collection sold about 750,000. ICO collection could possibly fetch 250,000 if that's true, depending on how well it's done and if there's any hype built up by Sony for it.[/QUOTE]

Not that I trust VGChartz but if it did sell that many copies, I would think Sony would push for this to happen. GoW might be a more popular series but it's also very easily found whereas ICO and SotC are harder to find. And if they release an ICO/SotC collection, it could build up hype for TLG...

[quote name='Serpentor']So, is the ICO collection a dream comes true??? I want it and i know several people want it too![/QUOTE]

It's still just rumors; nothing for sure.

GoW Collection did very well, and is around those numbers.
It was pretty successful for Sony, the game was super cheap to make. I remember dev comments were that it was only 2-3 months of work to do the whole thing.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, anybody interested in this game needs to check out the new game from Game Republic (folklore) that's being published by Namco: Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom.
Both games have similar concepts, and it looks pretty good.

Yeah, I wonder if Majin will steal any of TLG's thunder. Of course, Majin has to be good for that to happen. But Majin looks like it is ICO/SotC/TLG-esque.

[quote name='lokizz']you have to read this shit and i do mean its shit.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1154560p1.html

guy comes off like your typical douchebag american trying to make an issue out of nothing.[/QUOTE]

The writer obviously wants to get ratings or page views or whatever. Stupid thing to even worry half a second about. Most gamers are boys/men. Therefore, most game characters are boys/men. Not hard to comprehend. At least Japan doesnt think of women as property like in many Middle East countries.

I've always liked IGN because they've always been rather by-the-book.... so yeah I can't really say I appreciate their recent interest in editorials and personal opinions, especially this one (although I wouldn't attribute this sorta bluster just to americans).

The problem with the article is that the writer doesn't seem interested in doing anything but playing a passive-aggressive game of "gotcha"... its like no response is going to satisfy their "concern" until the developer throws up his arms and yells "okay I admit it, I am sexist!"

I do think there is something of a valid point raised over how the guy says a few times that they chose a male character because females are too weak.... you wonder why he doesn't just say something along the lines of what wrencrest said: "male leads for male gamers." Of course its also possible that the developer is just trying to explain that a female lead would ruin the running aesthetic of the Team Ico games... the females in the past two games were rather frail and beskirted, so its possible that putting you in the shoes of a bold feral chick wouldn't really fit the mold they had set.

I'm more inclined to think it was just a poorly answered question than a case of sexism: he probably wasn't prepared for the question at the Q&A and I'd imagine he didn't give it any thought since...I doubt that of all the themes they weaved into The Last Guardian, "boys rule, girls drool" and "can women wear pants?" were at the forefront

[quote name='lokizz']you have to read this shit and i do mean its shit.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1154560p1.html

guy comes off like your typical douchebag american trying to make an issue out of nothing.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Look the lead developer of the game is a guy. That's what he can relate to. If he were to make the main character a girl, there will be some crazy feminist sect complaining about something. They will say why is the girl so much weaker. If they are just are strong as the guy, then they'll complain about how developer only changed the character model without thinking about differences between genders.

There is no pleasing some people.

Right question that writer should be asking is: why aren't there enough female developers. Aren't they good enough or doesn't have the drive to stick with it. At least that's how it is on my field. There are just as many new crop of recruits of women but they don't stick around.

Another possibility is the reason why the character is a boy is a spoiler. If you played Shadow of the Colossus all the way to the end you know there is a very specific reason why Wanderer was a boy as it relates to ICO.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Another possibility is the reason why the character is a boy is a spoiler. If you played Shadow of the Colossus all the way to the end you know there is a very specific reason why Wanderer was a boy as it relates to ICO.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah i totally forgot about that but i wonder if this one will be connected to the series overall or if itll be its own game. either way i really cant wait for it ive been so deserate for something like that or anything in the vein of adventure platforming.

[quote name='lokizz']oh yeah i totally forgot about that but i wonder if this one will be connected to the series overall or if itll be its own game. either way i really cant wait for it ive been so deserate for something like that or anything in the vein of adventure platforming.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they already said that the 3 games are connected... at least I think I remember reading that somewhere.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm pretty sure they already said that the 3 games are connected... at least I think I remember reading that somewhere.[/QUOTE]

then its going to be interesting to see how they connect this one then. i just hope the gryphon doesnt die.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Seems kinda troubling to me, makes me think they have a "great idea," but can't figure out a way to translate it into gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Really? I look at some companies that make the best games like Nintendo, Valve and Blizzard and delays are the norm. I think this studio won't release anything until it is perfect. Not troubling, just the way some studios work.

Edit... this is how insane he is...
"The fact that Ico and SOTC didn’t sell well is because they weren’t good enough. They didn’t have enough to appeal to users."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='8bitArtist']im honestly glad its delayed. theres too many good games coming out this year.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

This should surprise no one really. Releasing a new IP amongst Elder Scrolls V, Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, etc. would not have been smart business.

At this point I really have to question WTF is taking so long. Granted the recent events in Japan have obviously had an impact, but the development time for TLG is almost doubling that of SotC. Whenever this happens, I get the sinking feeling it won't be as good as we hoped.

And crowded release dates are such a bullshit excuse nowadays. It seriously shows a vote of no confidence in your product.

I was hoping to get the Ico/SOTC this may but their new release date is same day as LG. I have had my preorder for Last Guardian for going on 2.5 years now.

I would have at least thought the collection would be out by now. But I guess they dont want it out too early if the new product wont be ready for many more months.

Honestly do not mind waiting one bit but its like they keep dangling a carrot in front of me with "Oh we will have the demo out at E3 " or having to see an article about it every 2 months.

I guess we don't have a thread dedicated to the collection, so I'll just leave this here:

We better get something close to this, I swear to god. Also, Japanese release date is 9/22.

I doubt it, unless they release it as a CE. I'll be honest and say I would prefer it one disk in this case unless it comes with a cool box like in the pic.

Have there been any games like that for the ps3? Like where they're remastered versions that are sold together, but if separated they have a different SKU? Meaning they'd have to make up a SKU for both ICO and SotC Ps3?

I know with GotY with DLC vouchers, no voucher = regular version, but with this it'd be 2 entirely separate games if you just wanted to trade in one.

Yeah, I was watching the interview live and I was surprised he even gave the game a 'status'.  E3 was THE place for this to finally surface, as it would have completely sealed the deal for anyone on the fence for next gen.  Time to put this game to rest; it's never coming out.

I was hoping they would have said it was being moved to the PS4 or something, but yeah... saying it's on haitus is basically saying it's dead and gone.

k-bigpic.jpg

1 annotation

Hide

the last guardian
Stephen Totilo 8 minutes ago  4,231

Sony Corrects Themselves, Says The Last Guardian Is Not on 'Hiatus'
Related

The Last Guardian Is 'On Hiatus' [UPDATE: Sony Was Wrong?]
Sony exec Jack Tretton just told Spike that hotly-anticipated PlayStation game The Last Guardian is on hiatus. Read…

Our 90-minute national nightmare is over. Sony's PlayStation boss Jack Tretton may have said that the long-awaited The Last Guardian was on hiatus today, but Sony's head of worldwide studios, Shuhei Yoshida, says that's wrong.

Related

Kotaku Timeline: The Last Guardian
The question whether video games are art has been bothering gamers, journalists and critics alike for a long while. Proponents might say that art is… Read…

"That hiatus term—I’m not a native English-speaking person—but that’s misleading," Yoshida told me a few minutes ago during an interview here at E3. He'd watched Tretton's comments on Spike.com while eating lunch. "The game is in active development. [Lead designer Fumito] Ueda-san shared updates a few months ago. Nothing has changed. My answer is, 'Yes, the game is in active development.' It’s not hiatus at all. But we are not ready to reintroduce it. When we are ready, we will do that. Please wait."

Waiting...

good lord Sony, either support the ass off of it or let it die.  It won't sell a bajillion copies, just like Ico and Shadow didn't.  But it'll be something that people remember.

It's in development hell. They act like it's all fine and they're still working on it blah blah, yet have nothing to show for it at this point or even recently. Could we have another Duke Nukem Forever on our hands?

Sony is destroyingi Team ICO.

Seriously, Ueda left but remain to finish his contract while Sony is not letting him and string him along by reassigning his team to other projects leaving him to lead .  Sigh, whatever comes out of this is going to be a mess of a game.

edit: should note, I have the game on preorder on amazon for close to 4 years now.  I don't really follow news on it... it will be shipped when it is ready kind of deal but seeing this topic and checking on some recent news really pissed me off!

Sony is destroyingi Team ICO.

Seriously, Ueda left but remain to finish his contract while Sony is not letting him and string him along by reassigning his team to other projects leaving him to lead . Sigh, whatever comes out of this is going to be a mess of a game.

edit: should note, I have the game on preorder on amazon for close to 4 years now. I don't really follow news on it... it will be shipped when it is ready kind of deal but seeing this topic and checking on some recent news really pissed me off!
this game isnt coming out on ps3. thats pretty much a fact. might as well cancel it unless you plan on getting a ps4. even then, id think you would have to cancel it and pre order the ps4 edition.

I think Sony is hoping that we forget about it kind of like Resident Evil Portable for the PSP and Agent for PS3.
That would be my guess. It seems like the only reason it's mentioned is when someone asks and the response is always some kind of a muted, generic "it's still in development" answer.

Kinda reminds me of The Neverending Story for some reason. Probably the scene of the boy riding the Bird-Rat underwater.

Lol I said this on another forum and no one agreed with me.

I said its FALCORE!

falcor.jpg

bread's done
Back