The Last of Us Remastered $49.99/39.99 w/ GCU @ BBY

People complain like they are being forced at gun point to buy this.  I look at it as a GOTY version since it includes all DLC.

quite possibly my favorite game of all time. i still have my ps3 version that i bought the season pass for, and i was ready to drop $60 on this. $40 is very very good. :)

I did the pre-order in store, but kiosk still said 59.99. I took it to the register and it came up with the final price total of 53.xx. They told me to only do the $5 payment on it because my GCU discount wouldn't apply until I actually pick it up. Kinda stupid they can't just apply the discount right away so I can pay the whole thing off and be done with it.

BBY rep just credited my order $10. With my GCU, I came out a little ahead. Pick up the phone if you've already made a preorder at $59.99!
It's you're a GCU member, this is NOT a good idea.

Because now, you won't automatically get the 20% off for being a member.

I did this earlier this year when Kirby was dropped $10, I didn't see my order price changing and never got the GCU discount.

I'm down for three.  :D/ Already got a four man team lined up... I'm not sure how often all of us will be online at the same time though. 

The CAG in me is still hoping Bestbuy might want to outdo everyone else and offer a 5-10GC offer....or a Buy the game and get a discount on another PS4 game.  :pray:

idk, i already played this and thought it was one of my top 5 games of all time. is it worth picking up to support ND for a sequel.  

I did the pre-order in store, but kiosk still said 59.99. I took it to the register and it came up with the final price total of 53.xx. They told me to only do the $5 payment on it because my GCU discount wouldn't apply until I actually pick it up. Kinda stupid they can't just apply the discount right away so I can pay the whole thing off and be done with it.
This is why I preorder everything online. Have had a few issues with in store preorders.

It's you're a GCU member, this is NOT a good idea.
Because now, you won't automatically get the 20% off for being a member.

I did this earlier this year when Kirby was dropped $10, I didn't see my order price changing and never got the GCU discount.
This is incorrect. I had already received 20% off the original price. Now my gift card has been credited $10 with absolutely nothing to do with my GCU membership.

I bought the CE the first time around... where is my savings I cant buy it again.
Huh?

DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif

So, this isn't a deal anymore? The official MSRP dropped to $50 this weekend, making this "deal" null and void." Cancelling pre-order until an actual deal is made.

yea this is MSRP which is awesome.  Was going to trade Wolfenstein for it, almost a wash now game for game!  Thanks Naughty Dog and Sony for doing the right thing with the $50 price tag!

I never had a PS3, so I never played The Last of Us originally.  With GCU and a left over $5 certificate, I preordered this morning.  Looking forward to trying this.  I've heard so many good things about it.  Now I just need a PS4 version of Journey......

So, this isn't a deal anymore? The official MSRP dropped to $50 this weekend, making this "deal" null and void." Cancelling pre-order until an actual deal is made.
This makes me laugh. The price was good enough for you a few days ago, but now it's not because you don't feel you're getting away with some great deal?

I'm sure alot of you guys may balk at this now that MSRP is $49.99, however for me since I never played the PS3 version, I don't want to wait for it to hit $20 on black friday. ;)

I ended up getting it for $26 anyway since I ordered it from Target for $46 shipped & used 2 $10 shopkick certs. :D/

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I played the first one fairly recently I'll hold off.  Good for people who haven't played.  Great for diehards.  Bad for people who liked it, beat it, and moved on.  Fills a niche.  I'm just glad more people get to play TLoU.

I agree with Paypal. But if you buy and use a GC you lose out on a lot of points. You won't get the double GC points or the boost from Elite or Elite+. So for a $40 game you lose up to 50 points, which is about $1, but hey every bit counts. So I would not recommend buying a BBY GC to do this.
That`s why I suggest using pre-paid visa`s to double dip. The $5 fee is a wash if you`re already elite plus & the pre-loaded new card earn pts just like cash w/o worry of overdrafting a debit card.or locking up a credit.card.

The CAG in me is still hoping Bestbuy might want to outdo everyone else and offer a 5-10GC offer....or a Buy the game and get a discount on another PS4 game. :pray:
Best you can hope for is a "trade in TLOU for PS3 get the PS4 version for $30($27.99 w/GCU)"
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Offer-a-trade-in-promotion-for-The-Last-of-Us-on-PS4/idi-p/803794

So with my $25 rz certs and trade in the ps3 copy I could get the ps4 version for about $5 oop with tax. I'm in!

This makes me laugh. The price was good enough for you a few days ago, but now it's not because you don't feel you're getting away with some great deal?
Nope, don't demean my argument to that bullshit conjecture. Here are the facts that actually matter: before, I wasn't paying MSRP. Now, I am. Makes sense that BB or someone else will compete by giving a deal. Excuse me for thinking economically and not oversimplisticly, and wanting to SAVE (key word) money.

Seeing as how you think of it in these terms, I'm assuming you've never gone auto shopping before; or not doing it right, at least. Let's examine your faulty mindset:

An auto dealer prices a used car at $10,000. Let's call that a psuedo MSRP - HIS suggested retail price. As you may already know, keep in mind that you ALWAYS ask for a lower than asked price. So we'll ask him to go down to $9,500 and he'll say yes.

So, let's say he lowers HIS MSRP to $9,500 - should we do as you suggest and accept it simply because it's lower? Nope, that would be pretty stupid. You get him down to $9,000. Consumer economics 101 baby.

You go on ahead and pay $50 while I get it for $40 elsewhere.

Nope, don't demean my argument to that bullshit conjecture. Here are the facts that actually matter: before, I wasn't paying MSRP. Now, I am. Makes sense that BB or someone else will compete by giving a deal. Excuse me for thinking economically and not oversimplisticly, and wanting to SAVE (key word) money. Seeing as how you think of it in these terms, I'm assuming you've never gone auto shopping before.

Except many of us are getting it for $40.

Except many of us are getting it for $40.
yeah, but the fact of a subscription service to save the money is irrelevant to the central argument.

The central argument of his is: I shouldnt expect a deal on the new lower price because they price dropped the MSRP to about the same price we would have gotten with the deal. And he/she is wrong.

Awesome deal. This puts it at where the MSRP should have been to begin with after GCU.
This is MSRP. Even sony dropped the price for PSN pre orders.

Not really a deal at all as no doubt retailers will also be adjusting the price.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/23/the-last-of-us-remastered-price-cut-refunds/

Even GCU doesn't make it a deal since like always Ill find either a better deal with a rebate or whatnot somewhere else or just wait a bit and get it for under 40.

Wouldn't the newegg 15 off 50 work for this (with a cheap filler item)? Plus you save on tax in certain situations, although you would lose out on some bestbuy points. But a heads up for all non gcu members.

Wouldn't the newegg 15 off 50 work for this (with a cheap filler item)? Plus you save on tax in certain situations, although you would lose out on some bestbuy points. But a heads up for all non gcu members.
From what I understand that 15 dollar off of 50 wont work on pre orders, in fact it says it in the advertisement, if I can use it I would for sure

So with my $25 rz certs and trade in the ps3 copy I could get the ps4 version for about $5 oop with tax. I'm in!
I'm not sure if people know this but the great thing about rz certs is they are pre-taxed. Meaning if an item costs $50 and you use $25 in rz certz. You pay tax only on the $25 that is left after any rz certs were used. Pretty sik.

Nope, don't demean my argument to that bullshit conjecture. Here are the facts that actually matter: before, I wasn't paying MSRP. Now, I am. Makes sense that BB or someone else will compete by giving a deal. Excuse me for thinking economically and not oversimplisticly, and wanting to SAVE (key word) money.

Seeing as how you think of it in these terms, I'm assuming you've never gone auto shopping before; or not doing it right, at least. Let's examine your faulty mindset:

An auto dealer prices a used car at $10,000. Let's call that a psuedo MSRP - HIS suggested retail price. As you may already know, keep in mind that you ALWAYS ask for a lower than asked price. So we'll ask him to go down to $9,500 and he'll say yes.

So, let's say he lowers HIS MSRP to $9,500 - should we do as you suggest and accept it simply because it's lower? Nope, that would be pretty stupid. You get him down to $9,000. Consumer economics 101 baby.

Your a nerd lmao holy sh*t who cares

I bought the digital version of TLOU -shrugs- I was impatient.
You can sell and get $20 guaranteed for the last of us Ps3. Buying the ps4 version with gamers club and 10% coupon = about $45.89 [depending on your tax rate]. This does not even include the use of a bb credit card which results in 2x points plus 6% back in rewards. So at worst you could end up getting remastered for $25.89 but if you can sell ps3 version for just $25 your paying $20.89 for the ps4 version

Now I'm sure people rather just do an easy trade in but for a potential $5-$10+ difference i'd rather do it myself

Even GCU doesn't make it a deal since like always Ill find either a better deal with a rebate or whatnot somewhere else or just wait a bit and get it for under 40.
I think is where GCU & non GCU members differ the time lost while waiting for the "better" deal can actually "cost" you more money than you think you saved. It greatly depends on the game too.

But I`ll take the sure thing $10+ tax discount day 1 knowing I can probably get ~$30 back in TIV. Then during the same sale you buy it at I`ll just pm & get it again too keep. But in between that time that same $30 may have got me 2-3 other games too plus padding mybb pts & shrinking what`ts needed for elite plus.

For people who got GCU $30 this is 1/3 of the value back & for those doing the current $60 deal it`s 1/6.

I'm not sure if people know this but the great thing about rz certs is they are pre-taxed. Meaning if an item costs $50 and you use $25 in rz certz. You pay tax only on the $25 that is left after any rz certs were used. Pretty sik.
Yep, you can make any item almost completely tax free if you have enough certs. Once you get to the entire amount get a soda or candy to cover the rest.

I bought the digital version of TLOU -shrugs- I was impatient.
Primary reason why all digital transition won`t go as they plan you own something that you don`t really "own". If the network goes down so does your gaming.

For people who got GCU $30 this is 1/3 of the value back & for those doing the current $60 deal it`s 1/6.

I got in this deal and the $30 for 2 years of GCU. It has already long paid for itself. Along with TLOU, I also got Batman Arkham Origins (Saved $6), Watch Dogs ($12), Destiny ($12), Dark Souls 2 ($12), God of War Collection Vita ($4), Ryse ($8), Titanfall ($12), Scribblenauts 3ds(($1.60), Donkey Coung 3ds ($6), Luigi's Mansion 3ds ($6). Thats about $90 in the first six months, plus I have had several reward certificates too. They add up quidk when you get double points for video games. That $30 for 2 years of GCU was a tremendous deal.

Gosh since GCU, I have got Infamous for $12 cheaper, NHL 14, Batman Arkham Origins, Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, NBA 2k14, MLB the show... I mean average on just those games savings was around $10 each, that's a minimum of $70 already and i got GCU for free :)

Just traded in Wolfenstein for 38.50, had a $5 gift card left over from getting my Gold Wireless headset, The Last of Us paid for! :)

I have a birthday $5 cert I need to spend before the end of the month, so I'm going to pre-order tonight probably. Sucks that I can't use it online, though. Makes it a bit of a pain.

If I want the car bad enough, I'll pay that price now while you're walking to where you need to go, hoping that you'll get a better price.

Either way, since I already have that subscription based discount, and I got my moneys worth LONG ago, I will be getting it for the same $40 you'll be waiting who knows how long for.

I got in this deal and the $30 for 2 years of GCU. It has already long paid for itself. Along with TLOU, I also got Batman Arkham Origins (Saved $6), Watch Dogs ($12), Destiny ($12), Dark Souls 2 ($12), God of War Collection Vita ($4), Ryse ($8), Titanfall ($12), Scribblenauts 3ds(($1.60), Donkey Coung 3ds ($6), Luigi's Mansion 3ds ($6). Thats about $90 in the first six months, plus I have had several reward certificates too. They add up quidk when you get double points for video games. That $30 for 2 years of GCU was a tremendous deal.
This is the exact reason why they will be able to sell the $120 subs in the future to people spoiled by the 20% everyday discount. At your pace you`ll come out way ahead at $120. And that doesn`t even account for the holidays/black Friday when those sales + 20% really dwarf other retailers. $300 on Black Friday w/GCU will probably account for 10-15 games but the mybb certs earned from all yr will be a big part of it. That`s why I`m fine trading in games for $38-$40 I`l get em all back later for a fraction of the $38-$44.

And once BB does there b2g1 on new games 3 for $96($32 ea) w/192 base mybb pts skeptics will see the light. But at that point GCU $60 sale will be over.

yeah, $60 is really the sweet spot for GCU.  You might get back $120 worth (even if you dont flip or use credit all the time) but it takes much longer.  At $60 if you plan to buy 3-4 games at release plus the occasional sale its much easier to see getting your money back.

I would never pay $120 up front for GCU. $60 at most.

If It was easier to move credit from Amazon and Gamestop to Best Buy maybe.
Most people will use workarounds to cover the $120 cost vs actually spending $120 OOP. It`s just funny to see these self proclaimed "deal hunters" stating they`d only pay $15/yr for GCU when the $30 coupons were up for grabs page 1-2 for months.

Pm`ing Amz or GS deals vs buying them from there keeps alot of the credit @ BB already. I see people regularly move credit in the trade in threads with BB`s high TIV`s & being able to move 3 PS3/PS4/360/XB1 versions means a max of $134.40 per system w/GCU highest TIV. That`s over $500 which even for me is a ton of credit.

Plus look at it this way if a person was doing 2 sets of b2g1 it`s $240 + tax add $120 GCU up to $360. But the instant 20% takes it to $312 or $48 saved day 1. GCU would then only cost $72. You`re also getting $10 in mybb certs with a potential to buy games that come with $10 pre-orders. And BB honors the $10 even if it`s the free game. Savvy CAG will make close to $100 back on the $120 on day 1 but really savvy CAG don`t have that issue anyways we paid $30 or $60 already probably already earning/saving it back already.

bread's done
Back