The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Phantom hourglass was fun but the dungeons were oversimplified. I am hoping this one is a bit more complex.

Phantom Hourglass was great and I'm definitely looking forward to the new one. Regarding "oversimplified" dungeons... there have been some really annoying dungeons in Zelda games of the past, and Phantom Hourglass didn't have any. The challenge was just about right. I suspect what I consider annoying is exactly what you are looking for, though. :)

EDIT: by saying there were no "annoying" dungeons in Hourglass, I'm of course completely ignoring that one repeated unmentionable in Phantom Hourglass. ;^) Yes, it had its faults, although that didn't bother me as much as it did some - I got into finding the shortcuts. Anyway, the "annoying" I'm talking about are those dungeons that are ridiculously convoluted and require lots of trial and error and memorization.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but what's the latest on Spirit Tracks? I see that it is supposed to come out in December? Are there any preorder info out yet or is it still a little bit early?

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']Sorry to bring up an old thread but what's the latest on Spirit Tracks? I see that it is supposed to come out in December? Are there any preorder info out yet or is it still a little bit early?

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Yeah I want some pre-order bonuses.

FYI, Gamestop is showing this as being available on December 8th, not 7th. My son (and I) are really looking forward to this game! I stopped the preview before it was over - I don't want to see too much ahead of time.

Re: Preorder bonuses

Doesn't look like NA gets any, but Japan gets a feather/quill stylus akin to the Phantom Hourglass preorder. The difference is that it comes in a rupee shaped case, which makes my heart hurt, because now I'll have to track one down somehow.

The UK gets a tin box with little figurine statuettes of Link and the Phantom he can control. You can actually order it and have it shipped to you, and the final price ends up being roughly $48. Seems like the standard MSRP around here is going to be $35 no matter what (even on Amazon), so it might not be such a bad idea if you really dig this kind of swag.

Surely there has to be a pre-order bonus. There better be! We've got a pre-order in at Gamestop, but now I've got the game in my amazon quick picks today, and if there isn't going to be a pre-order bonus at GS.... What to do.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Wait, does Link have a rope snake in that trailer?[/QUOTE]

Seems that way. I remember in previous gameplay footage, it was just a bullwhip, but it seems pretty clear from the new icon (1:53 in the trailer) that they changed it into the Rope Snake.

Any interesting deals on Spirit Tracks?

When Phantom Hourglass came out, TRU offered a free copy of the official strategy guide with purchase. Hoping they've got something like that planned for the new game.

I really hope this is better than the last one. The handheld Zeldas are some of my favorites but the last two (Minnish Cap and Phantom Hourglass) have been the worst in the series, IMO. I want them to bring back the top-down style and make a game with 15 dungeons, a huge overworld and tons of side quests that actually matter.

I'm going to buy this eventually but I'm not all that excited for it like I usually am for a new Zelda game.

I didn't know there was going to be a 4-player muliplayer battle game. Looks pretty fun. I'm definitely looking forward to this game (I liked Phantom Hourglass quite a bit), but my 8 year old is going to get to play it first, so it will be a while before I get to run through the main game myself, other then helping him out.

I'm disappointed that nowhere was a pre-order bonus announced, though.

[quote name='javeryh']I really hope this is better than the last one. The handheld Zeldas are some of my favorites but the last two (Minnish Cap and Phantom Hourglass) have been the worst in the series, IMO. I want them to bring back the top-down style and make a game with 15 dungeons, a huge overworld and tons of side quests that actually matter.[/QUOTE]
Phantom Hourglass is the game which revived my interest in Zelda games. I think it is one of the best games on the DS. It is the only game in years that I literally never wanted to put down. I played it straight through with no distractions, something which likely hasn't occurred since Super Mario 64.

[quote name='Zing']Phantom Hourglass is the game which revived my interest in Zelda games. I think it is one of the best games on the DS. It is the only game in years that I literally never wanted to put down. I played it straight through with no distractions, something which likely hasn't occurred since Super Mario 64.[/QUOTE]

I liked the game too, but I couldn't always get the slashing mechanic to work properly (nor the rolling mechanic, but that didn't bother me as much). This wasn't a problem until
The 3 ghost boss on the ship, where you had to bat the attack back and forth. I failed the fight twice because I couldn't get slashes to register.
(altho' this may just be my ds, as it is pretty old and sometimes wont work at all)

Still looking forward to this game ... I just wish I could get some button control alternative from Nintendo :

[quote name='Zing']Phantom Hourglass is the game which revived my interest in Zelda games. I think it is one of the best games on the DS. It is the only game in years that I literally never wanted to put down. I played it straight through with no distractions, something which likely hasn't occurred since Super Mario 64.[/QUOTE]

agreed. I thought PH was a terrific game and one of my favorite Zelda games ever(but i doubt nintendo can top Zelda 3 no matter what they do, IMHO)

I really only like the cartoony, cell-shaded Zelda games. I've thoroughly enjoyed (and beaten) Minish Cap, Wind Waker, and Phantom Hourglass.

I've never gotten into or been able to complete any other iterations of Zelda/Link, so I'm optimistic that Spirit Tracks will have a little bit of that "secret sauce" that ropes me into these games.

[quote name='javeryh']I really hope this is better than the last one. The handheld Zeldas are some of my favorites but the last two (Minnish Cap and Phantom Hourglass) have been the worst in the series, IMO. I want them to bring back the top-down style and make a game with 15 dungeons, a huge overworld and tons of side quests that actually matter.

I'm going to buy this eventually but I'm not all that excited for it like I usually am for a new Zelda game.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Minish Cap just a more colorful version of the traditional top-down Zeldas? That wasn't in the full-on Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass "Celda" style, but the modified 2D version that was also used in Four Swords (Wii and GBA). I enjoyed that one, but my main knock against it was that it seemed really, really short (no pun intended).

I'm with those that loved Phantom Hourglass except for the annoying recycled central dungeon. So they'd have a hard time messing up Spirit Tracks for me. It looks like the train aspect and the Zelda enemy possession bit will really reinvent a lot of the gameplay.

[quote name='fart_bubble']I like all Zelda games but the cel shaded Zeldas are still the ones with the best sense of style.[/QUOTE]Indeed, Windwaker is still my favourite Zelda title to date

[quote name='fart_bubble']I like all Zelda games but the cel shaded Zeldas are still the ones with the best sense of style.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I prefer Zelda to Mario, but I do love my Mario.

Also... I am slightly annoyed that NA doesn't get a preorder bonus! I want that Rupee case for my Quill stylus (from regestering Phantom Hourglass on My Nintendo)!!!

Yeah a preorder bonus or release day sale would probably actually make me preorder the game. When I bought PH I got the game guide for free from TRU. Actually I would prefer another sale like this as opposed to a preorder bonus like another stylus or something, as the guide was something I actually would use.

I agree that WW was my favorite Zelda, although I have only played the Zeldas from WW on, and admit that as my first Zelda game, I was probably biased towards WW's style. Nevertheless I was always a fan of cel-shaded graphic style in games and WW is one of the most stylistic games I have ever played it was awesome. Also, contrary to popular opinion, I actually really liked the free-sailing mechanic. It was relaxing and fun, and really lent a sense of freedom to the game.

Ruahrc

It's not that I didn't enjoy Phantom Hourglass - it just wasn't that great compared to most other Zelda games (but still one of the best games on the DS if that makes any sense). I didn't like the stylus controls (but I did enjoy the map feature and using the items with the stylus). I felt like I had little control over his sword and the roll was next to impossible for me to pull off on a consistent basis. My hand also seemed to cover 2/3 of the action most of the time which was annoying. The temple you had to do over and over was also tiring but I admit I liked finding quicker ways to get through it as your abilities increased.

[quote name='Tybee']Wasn't Minish Cap just a more colorful version of the traditional top-down Zeldas? That wasn't in the full-on Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass "Celda" style, but the modified 2D version that was also used in Four Swords (Wii and GBA). I enjoyed that one, but my main knock against it was that it seemed really, really short (no pun intended).[/QUOTE]

My problem with The Minish Cap was the fundamental "big/small" mechanic they implemented throughout the game. I didn't think moving around as the little sprite was fun at all. Also, the game design was poor - sections of the overworld were only accessible after finding an item or something you needed to get over an obstacle. Most Zelda games let you explore quite a bit and see things where you think "how do I get there?". The Minish Cap was extremely linear - I never had the sense of "oh - when I find Item X I'm definitely coming back here." It was more like, "now that I have Item X let's see which part of the map I can open up." Big difference. Finally, the dungeons were fun but the overworld was really really small and the game in general was way too short, which I think really hurts it IMO. Again, I enjoyed the game overall but it was a poor effort based on the high standards set by the previous games in the series.

If I were to rank the handheld Zeldas (not including remakes) it would go like this - no question:

1. Oracle of Ages
2. Oracle of Seasons
3. Link's Awakening
4. The Minish Cap
5. Phantom Hourglass

[quote name='javeryh']My problem with The Minish Cap was the fundamental "big/small" mechanic they implemented throughout the game. I didn't think moving around as the little sprite was fun at all. Also, the game design was poor - sections of the overworld were only accessible after finding an item or something you needed to get over an obstacle. Most Zelda games let you explore quite a bit and see things where you think "how do I get there?". The Minish Cap was extremely linear - I never had the sense of "oh - when I find Item X I'm definitely coming back here." It was more like, "now that I have Item X let's see which part of the map I can open up." Big difference. Finally, the dungeons were fun but the overworld was really really small and the game in general was way too short, which I think really hurts it IMO. Again, I enjoyed the game overall but it was a poor effort based on the high standards set by the previous games in the series.[/quote]

I am in complete agreement with all of your critiques. I think the linear nature of the game contributed to its shortness. I was only quibbling over whether it could be considered a Celda title.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I agree that WW was my favorite Zelda, although I have only played the Zeldas from WW on, and admit that as my first Zelda game, I was probably biased towards WW's style. Nevertheless I was always a fan of cel-shaded graphic style in games and WW is one of the most stylistic games I have ever played it was awesome. Also, contrary to popular opinion, I actually really liked the free-sailing mechanic. It was relaxing and fun, and really lent a sense of freedom to the game.[/QUOTE]

+1 I loved the sailing in WW and PH, probably because I enjoy sailing in real life. There aren't enough games that feature that kind of a mechanic. It works really well as a method of open exploration. And right around the time it gets tiresome in both games, you're given the ability to warp around.

[quote name='Tybee']I am in complete agreement with all of your critiques. I think the linear nature of the game contributed to its shortness. I was only quibbling over whether it could be considered a Celda title.[/QUOTE]

oh I definitely think it is a "Celda" title. So they are 1 for 3 with those, I guess. Wind Waker was awesome - arguably my favorite and if it had 2-4 more dungeons and the islands were a little closer together it would be my favorite. I loved it.

[quote name='Ruahrc']When I bought PH I got the game guide for free from TRU. Actually I would prefer another sale like this as opposed to a preorder bonus like another stylus or something, as the guide was something I actually would use.[/QUOTE]

Is next week's TRU flier posted yet? I'm still hoping they've got something planned for the release.

It should be available on Tuesday like most Nintendo games. I personally have a 20% off coupon for anything at TRU and it's good through the rest of the year, so I'm using it on Spirit Tracks. An additional item/bonus would just be gravy.

I definitely would have pre-ordered this if they offered that sweet-ass stylus/case. As it stands, I'll just wait for a better price, especially with my DS backlog right now.

[quote name='Strell']Japan gets a feather/quill stylus akin to the Phantom Hourglass preorder. The difference is that it comes in a rupee shaped case[/QUOTE]

The Nintendo World Store e-mailed me and it says:

[quote name='Nintendo World Store']Purchase the game and receive a The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks feather stylus (limited quanity, while supplies last).[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it is the one in the rupee case...?? I would have to have one....

Well I just combed through the following ads (Walmart, Target, Kmart, Bestbuy, Gamestop, TRU) and nothing comes with the game.

Deals are: B1G1 50% off all games at TRU, $5 in RZ points at BB with purchase and extra 25% credit at GS for trade-ins towards the purchase of Zelda.

Nothing special.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Well I just combed through the following ads (Walmart, Target, Kmart, Bestbuy, Gamestop, TRU) and nothing comes with the game.

Deals are: B1G1 50% off all games at TRU, $5 in RZ points at BB with purchase and extra 25% credit at GS for trade-ins towards the purchase of Zelda.

Nothing special.[/QUOTE]

My future fiance and I both want Zelda- so I may do the buy 1 get 1 half off. It makes it 26.25 + tax for each. Decent.

It's games like this that make me wish the DSi XL was out in the States. I'm almost considering waiting to play it so I can enjoy it on the bigger screens.

[quote name='Tybee']I'm almost considering waiting to play it so I can enjoy it on the bigger screens.[/QUOTE]

DON'T! It is fantastic! The overworld theme will go down as one of the best, ever.

I only beat the Forest temple, which was rediculously easy for veterans, but damn it is fun!

The train has its merits, thus far. It is not a horse killer AT ALL, but it seems fun. It really works well with the theme of the game though.

I enjoyed the zelda: PH besides the repeat dungeon or whatever so I can't wait to get this I plan to get it at ToysRus for that deal hopefully they have professor Layton 2 there I've been meaning to pick that up too.

It's too bad we don't get any bonus, but I'm happy I got the quill stylus from the Zelda: PH game so no big deal.

I can't wait to get this and see how it is myself looks pretty fun. :drool:

For some reason I thought this wasn't out until next tuesday. Oops.

Egads. $39.99 CAD? It can wait.

I remember the days when SNES first-party published games were $10 cheaper than third-party. Now it is the other way around.

I wanna play this as i enjoyed playing PH
Gamefly is sending it today so hopefully by friday it will be here as the shipping place is only like 3 hrs away from me.

can't wait though i wish i had the guide

bread's done
Back