The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword

I don't think it's that the nunchuck stick isn't accurate. It's more that the camera sucks since all you can do is center, thus I too end up missing a jump or whatever as the camera angle sucked.

Otherwise the analog stick is fine IMO. The lack of camera control is just one area where the game suffers from not being a normal dual analog stick controlled game.

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? Just point the front of the Wii Remote towards the ground.[/QUOTE]
It's not exactly a natural movement unless you're standing up in a bowling stance. When you're sitting back on your bed, your wrist doesn't easily move that way.

I play on the couch, so it's easy enough to just lift my arm up a little bit, point the Wiimote down and flick my wrist up.

Other than the harp crap, none of the moves in the game require full arm movements. A flick of the wrist works for everything else.

Yeah, I guess I was making the rolling harder than it needed to be. It's a lot easier to get the hang of when you can hold the bomb without worry of it exploding in your face. :D

So I'm about 5 hours into
Hero Mode and just beat the 2nd dungeon. I must've died...5 times on that boss. What a pain.
One thing I did take note of was the Map inside the Bazaar which shows the heads of all the shop locations. I notice that one portion of the Bazaar had some content cut from it. It's the only place in there that doesn't have anything.

So where can I find
the bug catching-net
? Should I have it before the second dungeon? Seems like I should at this point but I haven't done much exploring outside of the main story.

It's in
Beetle's Shop, flying in Skyloft. Ring the bell by shooting a Seed at it and then grab the rope.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's in
Beetle's Shop, flying in Skyloft. Ring the bell by shooting a Seed at it and then grab the rope.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't come across that yet but I'll take a look next time I play.

Look around the sky around Bazaar in Skyloft. There should be a little shed fliying around in circles with a bell hanging from the bottom.

I just shut this game off in frustration.

Everything between the third and fourth dungeon fucking sucks.

I know Zelda games always have fetch quests, but, this is getting ridiculous in this part of the game. Let's fetch some souls! Oh, we need parts to a machine. But, wait...now that you've spent all this time finding a certain place...now you need to backtrack to an old temple for water! It gets better though; the water is in the *back* of the temple! Extra gameplay! (And I'm leaving other crap out...)

Going to bed. I really want to make it through this game this weekend, so I can shelve it.

That's the worst offender of it, but the 4th dungeon and boss are finger lickin' good. And no, you're not beating it this weekend unless you put a lot of time into it.

[quote name='Rig']I just shut this game off in frustration.

Everything between the third and fourth dungeon fucking sucks.

I know Zelda games always have fetch quests, but, this is getting ridiculous in this part of the game. Let's fetch some souls! Oh, we need parts to a machine. But, wait...now that you've spent all this time finding a certain place...now you need to backtrack to an old temple for water! It gets better though; the water is in the *back* of the temple! Extra gameplay! (And I'm leaving other crap out...)

Going to bed. I really want to make it through this game this weekend, so I can shelve it.[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same reaction to the quest your describing. The 2nd and 3rd portions of the sacred flames are more enjoyable and no repeat dungeons, don't worry. A little excess backtracking for the 3rd one but nothing nearly as obnoxious.

In terms of repetition , though, I was annoyed that you had to
fight The Imprisoned again so soon after getting the 3rd flame and forging the Master Sword. The fight went a little faster thanks to Groose but still - that wasn't necessary, just let me go through the fucking time gate and go see Zelda.

All the questing between dungeons 3 and 4, though, DID earn me enough items to upgrade my
shield, bow, and quiver to the max. So that was nice. It's left me wondering, what kind of items can they reward me with now that my gear seems to be completely acquired and upgraded??

Beat the 5th dungeon last night. Being a
ship
it was quite different than the other dungeons so far, I liked it.

Mostly spent time goofing around after that. Up to 46 gratitude crystals from side quests. Spent a while on mini games (fun fun island and pumpkin pull), never got close to getting the heart pieces and don't think I'll bother.

Then went to work on getting to the 6th dungeon. Got the spirit pieces and saved when I had to go back to
Lake Floria/
as it was around 3 am. Have put just under 40 hours into the game so far.

I also stumbled across an easy way to catch a bunch of bugs to sell for a lot of money in the volcano.
During the questing to get to dungeon 6 you'll come across a part in the volcano where you have to go outside to a spring to fill a bottle with water to put out a couple fires. There are volcanic lady bugs on the wall right by the cave entrance you came out to get to the spring. You can just go in and out of the cave and keep catching them until you have 99, and then go to Skyloft and sell them for 20 rupees apiece. There's a bird statue nearby as well so you can easily travel their to get more bugs if you need more money again sometime.

I've bought everything in Beedle's shop now. Need some more items to upgrade my Bow again and the third shield (the one that repairs itself, for get the name of it), haven't upgraded it at all due to missing one item.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='johnnypark']All the questing between dungeons 3 and 4, though, DID earn me enough items to upgrade my
shield, bow, and quiver to the max. So that was nice. It's left me wondering, what kind of items can they reward me with now that my gear seems to be completely acquired and upgraded??
[/QUOTE]

There's only one answer. But that's a spoiler.

Also, nice spoiler tag there, dmaul.

Just finished it this morning. This really takes fetch questing to a whole new level. At some point I'm
collecting tadpoles so I can learn a part of a song so I can learn the song of the hero so I can get a red piece to go in a statue so I can get the Triforce so I can save the world? 5 nested quests?

Just got the first flame. I'm liking the game very much, especially the puzzles/temples. But I had doing all the filler crap in between each temple. And I would love to play this game using a standard controller. None of the Motion+ BS is worth it...

[quote name='Vinny']Just got the first flame. I'm liking the game very much, especially the puzzles/temples. But I had doing all the filler crap in between each temple. And I would love to play this game using a standard controller. None of the Motion+ BS is worth it...[/QUOTE]

I gotta disagree. I'm in total support of the Motion+, at least for the sword. I can vouch for it because I've made the mistake of concurrently playing Zelda 3DS, and last time I fired it up, I found myself shaking my 3DS to try and attack, haha. It's become 2nd nature and I think the depth of gameplay/combat benefits greatly.

One of the reviews I read said it would be hard to go back to a 3D Zelda that didn't have motion-control for the sword, and I have to agree.

Playing Skyward Sword with a standard controller would kind of be impossible, or at the very least, a hell of a lot harder.

I like the motion controls, but I don't love them and would probably prefer to be playing this with a traditional controller. Just more relaxing, and I mainly play games to veg out and relax.

They are much better than Twilight Princess where it was just pointless waggling. At least now there's strategy involved with the 1:1 movements, and that does add a bit to the game. But i'd probably give that up for traditional controls if given the option.

And of course when we say we'd prefer to play with a traditional controller, we mean that we'd prefer it if the game had been built around a traditional control scheme. Which would mean play just like TP/OoT combat wise with no directional sword swipes etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I like the motion controls, but I don't love them and would probably prefer to be playing this with a traditional controller. Just more relaxing, and I mainly play games to veg out and relax.

They are much better than Twilight Princess where it was just pointless waggling. At least now there's strategy involved with the 1:1 movements, and that does add a bit to the game. But i'd probably give that up for traditional controls if given the option.

And of course when we say we'd prefer to play with a traditional controller, we mean that we'd prefer it if the game had been built around a traditional control scheme. Which would mean play just like TP/OoT combat wise with no directional sword swipes etc.[/QUOTE]

Good point - obviously the combat wouldn't work with a standard controller, but I think part of the charm of the game is the puzzles and combat requiring you to be more involved via the controls. It would be just a bigger, fancier OoT without it.

It reminds me of the N64 development - I recall that the N64 was engineered to play Mario 64, and not the other way around, which means it did 3D platforming well but fell short in other areas. Although it's happening at the end of the Wii's lifespan, this is the kind of game they wanted to make from the beginning and it's a shame that it's only now being realized.

If you took away WM+ you'd have to do something different for a lot of the game's combat situtations, bosses included. You wouldn't be able to do the game's first boss without WM+ support, for example, as is.

[quote name='johnnypark']I gotta disagree. I'm in total support of the Motion+, at least for the sword. I can vouch for it because I've made the mistake of concurrently playing Zelda 3DS, and last time I fired it up, I found myself shaking my 3DS to try and attack, haha. It's become 2nd nature and I think the depth of gameplay/combat benefits greatly.

One of the reviews I read said it would be hard to go back to a 3D Zelda that didn't have motion-control for the sword, and I have to agree.[/QUOTE]

My issues with Motion+:
1. When I'm flying, my bird sometimes does a complete 180 turn because my controller tilted a bit during flapping
2. I'm getting sick of having to re-calibrate my controller each time I fire up the game
3. During combat, say my sword is on my right side... I want to move it over to my left side and do a left-to-right slash. But when I try to move it to my left side, either a) try to do it slowly and the enemy will pick up on my action or b) try to do it quickly and game picks it up as a slash (which is subsequently blocked).
4. A lot of the item use is non-intuitive, stuff like aiming or using the whip...
5. A lot of the control use is gimmicky, like 'flapping wings', balancing, shaking off attached enemies
6. It takes seconds to register the Skyward Strike charge up motion, which should be easily picked up. Seriously, I'll jab my controller straight in the air and Link dawdles for a few seconds before it actually follows through...
7. It can make some parts more frustrating, like precise swimming (picking up items or to push those bomb-fish) or controlling link when he jumps of a high point

Outside of combat, Motion+ adds almost nothing that makes this game special or that we haven't already seen in other games (from what I've seen so far). They could make this game into a regular, controller based game with some minor changes.

I'm not saying it ruins the game, but I question how anyone can say Motion+ makes this game substantially to the point that it makes any other Zelda game unplayable (well, maybe except the two DS letdowns)... then again, I'm also questioning who in their right mind thinks this is better than OoT, LttP or Wind Waker too.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you took away WM+ you'd have to do something different for a lot of the game's combat situtations, bosses included. You wouldn't be able to do the game's first boss without WM+ support, for example, as is.[/QUOTE]

Very true. But I didn't care much for that or the various one-on-one sword fights that much anyway. They're ok, but I've never played Zelda for the combat anyway. It's all the exploration and figuring out dungeons. So I was always find with the relatively mindless hack and slash combat.

But it doesn't take away from the game really (other than being a little less relaxing since I have to at least sit up :D), and the dungeons are top notch in this game. So it's definitely up their among the best Zelda games. Probably only behind LTTP and OoT IMO (still have a bit to go to finish it before I can give it a firm ranking).

I think this might be my GOTY. I'm loving this game. Most the time I play games it's only an hour or two. I can't put this game down. My daughter takes a nap around 2PM and I usually join her, but I've been depriving myself of that to plug in a few more hours of Zelda. It's actually kinda nice to have that addictive feeling for a video game again, I was afraid I lost it.

OoT in a template for all the Zelda games to come after. It's a great game but honestly I enjoyed everything that came after it much more. Still LTTP will always be my favorite.

Dungeon four and five made me like this game a little more. I still (so far) wouldn't put this in the top tier of Zelda games. As it is for me thus far, 1UP's B+ review score is looking quite accurate.

Speaking of gimmick motions, I hate the stupid key entries into the boss battles.

The dungeon designs and general charm of the game put it in the top tier for me.

Right now I'd rank the Zelda's I've played:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Skyward Sword
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Link's Awakening
Majora's Mask
The Minish Cap
The Phantom Hourglass
Zelda 2
The Spirit Tracks (at the bottom as I couldn't play it as my mic wouldn't work for the music parts)

[quote name='dmaul1114']The dungeon designs and general charm of the game put it in the top tier for me.

Right now I'd rank the Zelda's I've played:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Skyward Sword
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Link's Awakening
Majora's Mask
The Minish Cap
The Phantom Hourglass
Zelda 2
The Spirit Tracks (at the bottom as I couldn't play it as my mic wouldn't work for the music parts)[/QUOTE]

That's almost exactly how I would rate the Zelda series except I'd have Wind Waker @ 3, Link's Awakening @ 4 (even for a portable game, it's still a very impressive game to this day) and Majora's Mask @ 5. Currently Skyward Sword would be @ 6 but at the rate the game is going (I'll deal with the nuances), it'll probably end up beating out Majora's Mask and maybe Link's Awakening for me.

No love for the original Zelda?;)

I never played the original back in the day, and found it hadnt aged well when I finally got around to trying it, so I never played much of it.

I just left it off rather than getting flamed for putting OT at the bottom....

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but i will do a horizontal slash, and the enemy won't be blocking that area but he still blocks it somehow? I mean wtf?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I never played the original back in the day, and found it hadnt aged well when I finally got around to trying it, so I never played much of it.

I just left it off rather than getting flamed for putting OT at the bottom....[/QUOTE]

The original Zelda holds up better than almost any other game I can think of. Especially because there's no crappy camera swoops or cut scenes.

[quote name='Vinny']My issues with Motion+:

6. It takes seconds to register the Skyward Strike charge up motion, which should be easily picked up. Seriously, I'll jab my controller straight in the air and Link dawdles for a few seconds before it actually follows through... [/QUOTE]

I think your jabbing motion might be screwing up the Skyward Strike. I've had no problem activating the move by just casually pointing the remote at the ceiling, literally all in the wrist.

[quote name='willardhaven']The original Zelda holds up better than almost any other game I can think of. Especially because there's no crappy camera swoops or cut scenes.[/QUOTE]

I just hated it every time I tried to play it on emulators etc. Graphics stink, too hard for my liking etc. That said, I think Zelda 2 sucks when I tried to replay it as well. But I played it when it came out so I can at least rank it based on how it stacked up at the time of release. I'm sure I'd probably still have those kind of nostalgic feelings of the first if I'd played it anytime near it's launch rather than not until on emulators in the late 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zelda 2 was why too fuckin' hard for an 8 year old. I have a deep hatred for Death Mountain because of that game. Those axe wielding crocs make me wanna punch a baby dolphin.

I'm only in the second dungeon in Skyward Sword but so far this is how it is shaping up for me:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Adventure of Link
Majora's Mask
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks

[quote name='Rodimus']Zelda 2 was why too fuckin' hard for an 8 year old. I have a deep hatred for Death Mountain because of that game. Those axe wielding crocs make me wanna punch a baby dolphin.[/QUOTE]

I was 10 or so when I played it. It was hard, but I beat a lot of hard games back then that I couldn't get through today!

Played through the 6th dungeon last night. It, and the boss, were kind of bland compared to the last few. Not bad, just a very linear dungeon and a
repeat of the first boss that wasn't really any harder.

Finished upgrading all my current items, did another gratitude crystal quest and got the
5,000 rupee wallet for giving the bat guy 50 crystals.

I think Zelda 2 holds up better myself.

My Zelda Rankings as of now:
#1 - A Link to the Past
#2 - Majora's Mask
#3 - Skyward Sword
#4 - The Minish Cap
#5 - Wind Waker
#6 - Oracle of Ages
#7 - Twilight Princess
#8 - Ocarina of Time
#9 - Oracle of Seasons
#10 - Link's Awakening
#11 - Four Swords Adventures
#12 - Zelda 2
#13 - The Legend of Zelda
#14 - Phantom Hourglass
#16 - Spirit Tracks (You heard me, #16)

The two DS games are awful. If they weren't Zelda games no one would have even played them. Spirit Tracks belongs at #16. I can appreciate putting Majora's Mask pretty high up the list - great great game (you can make a case that the first 10 games in the series are interchangable as far as ranking them goes). I cannot disagree more with where you placed The Minish Cap though. I played it twice (just to be sure) and I hated it both times... well I didn't hate it... I just think it was not even close in terms of gameplay to the other top down Zeldas.

Also, Zelda II is awesome. It was awesome in 8th grade when it came out and it is awesome today (I just finished it again a few months ago). Back in the day when I got a game every couple of months I was happy that it was brutally hard so it took a while to finish. I can see not liking it today though because now I seem to get a new game every other day... and games are just too long for no reason *cooughskywardswordcough*

Majora's Mask I just didn't care for that much. Only 4 real dungeons, didn't like the time limit crap and go back and forth through time, was quirky/weird (which I guess is why some like it so much) etc.

Still a good game, but definitley my least favorite of the 3D console Zelda games.

I didn't like Majora's Mask... it felt too gimmicky (obviously I hadn't played Twilight Princess yet).

I don't know if I could decide between The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. They are both on another level as far as video games are concerned.

Majora's Mask is about the only one of the series I haven't finished. I just cannot get into that game. I've tried many times.

Well, I guess I never played Oracle of Seasons...I have Ages though. (Or, I might have that backwards.)

Gonna finish Skyward Sword tonight...after football.

I also didn't care much for Majora's Mask. I started up that game several times only to quit playing midway. I didn't play much of the Zelda handhelds. Only one I beat was Link's Awakening. I tried Phantom Hourglass and hated it. Didn't even want to try Spirit Tracks.

I'm getting near the end of Skyward Sword. Finished the 6th dungeon and a bunch of story stuff last night.

I think the weirdness and general atmosphere of Majora's Mask is what let me enjoy the game, but those same things have never been replicated in any other Zelda.

I'm going after the second flame and I think the game's officially moved into my top five. The scenery combined with the puzzles (and the cool boat parts) are awesome.

[quote name='theflicker']I think your jabbing motion might be screwing up the Skyward Strike. I've had no problem activating the move by just casually pointing the remote at the ceiling, literally all in the wrist.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean jab literally but I think I get where you're coming from. I'll try that, thanks.

Zelda, II and A Link to the Past were all awesome.

Ocarina - is a masterpiece.

Majora's Mask - I couldn't get into Majora's Mask. I put so much friggin' time into Ocarina that I was just on Zelda overload and couldn't take anymore by the time MM came out.

Wind Waker - just shy of being perfect (the sailing holds it back). Never finished

Twilight Princess - I just couldn't take the drab brown world, coupled with shitty SD textures, and the 7 hours of introduction and doing basically nothing it was a recipe for failure. Given the lack of quality launch Wii titles, you would think it would have been easier to stick with, but no... crap.

Phantom Hourglass - I enjoyed it, but having come off the atrocious Twilight Princess, anything would have been good.

Spirit Tracks - terrible. Never finished.

Never had a Gameboy, so never got around to those, and I'll be starting Skyward Sword soon.

Holy collect-a-thon Batman. Some of the near end game stuff is pretty damn annoying. I'm in the midst of
collecting those damn note tadpoles in the flooded forest.

Not sure why they felt a need to pad an already damn long game with that kind of nonsense.

Girlfriend was here all weekend so I'm behind on Skyward Sword, I'm about to go
look for Levias with the pumpkin soup.

All this talk about the older Zelda games reminded me of my NES collection stashed at my parents house:

464382690.jpg

It's hard to tell from the low resolution of my phone, but you won't find better-looking complete copies of those games. FF1 and the Zeldas in particular look like they were just purchased.

I do have fond memories of playing both the NES Zeldas. #1 I don't know how many times I beat, it was a huge part of my childhood. I replayed it about 5 years ago via emulation and think it still holds up pretty well. There are a few archaic things about it but the dungeons themselves and boss fights are still solid.

Adventures of Link, though, that game was too hard. Not unplayable hard, but hard enough to make it discouraging and not very accessible. I would LOVE for Nintendo to remake it with 16-bit style graphics, a better save system and a few other modern conveniences.

[quote name='Corvin']Never had a Gameboy, so never got around to those, and I'll be starting Skyward Sword soon.[/QUOTE]

Link's Awakening is AMAZING. Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are like 1/1000th of a hair short of Link's Awakening but still must-plays. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of each.

bread's done
Back