The Madworld Thread (Sega/Platinum Games) - Out Now

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just started this last night. Just beat the first level so far, and I'm loving it.

Although, are there any widespread problems with this game freezing? It froze twice on me during the first level.[/quote]
I don't think widespread, but I did mention earlier in the thread the game froze on me a couple times in the first level, both times after the big bull guys appeared. It hasn't happened to me since and I'm almost done with the game.

[quote name='wii skiier']I don't think widespread, but I did mention earlier in the thread the game froze on me a couple times in the first level, both times after the big bull guys appeared. It hasn't happened to me since and I'm almost done with the game.[/quote]

Yeah, the first time it froze on me was after the cut scene showing the big bull guy appear, and I think the other time was when the train minigame appeared. I went through the second level, and it was fine. Thanks.

Adding up what the Wii says, it took me 7 hours to beat this game. I died a lot :lol:
Despite the short gameplay, everything was great. This was a rental but definitely a must buy someday type game. I played with headphones on because of my nieces, but that was actually a good thing because I could hear the jokes better.

Sadly, I have only played this game for about 15 minutes in the week I have owned it. :cry:

It was a fantastic 15 minutes though. :D

Beat the game today. The game clock says it only took 3 hours. It's probably my GOTY so far anyway, which says a lot about how fun the game is.

The other great thing about this game is, it's short but it has a lot of replay value. I haven't actually gone back to the game since beating it, but I know I will soon. Even when I hadn't beat the game a few levels I redid to try to do some of the DW Challenges and get a better score.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']The other great thing about this game is, it's short but it has a lot of replay value. I haven't actually gone back to the game since beating it, but I know I will soon. Even when I hadn't beat the game a few levels I redid to try to do some of the DW Challenges and get a better score.[/quote]

Yeah, I plan on going back to it also. After de Blob, and maybe MoHH2

[quote name='http://venturebeat.com/2009/04/06/sega-shows-off-next-big-olympics-game-and-targets-wiidsi/']
VB: Sega is also going after the core audience with games like House of the Dead: Overkill and Mad World. How are consumers responding to those Mature-rated titles?
SR: House of the Dead has done very well and has absolutely met our expectations. The first set of data for Mad World is very encouraging, as well.
VB: Do you see franchise potential for Mad World with sequels?
SR: If it resonates with the audience, yes, we absolutely want to make that into a franchise. I think it’s unique, and there are many aspects of that game which are sort of pushing boundaries. And it’s just great fun.[/quote]Good news is good.

noooooooooooooo~!!!

I was THIS close to snaggin one of those jackets!!!

but the stupid website wouldnt let me log in coz they decided to introduce a broken verification code process... and I was tryin to log in BEFORE the item officially dropped at 2PM.

by the time I had successfully logged in... which was AFTER I had the coat added to my cart... they were all gone!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I waited all week for it only to let it slip between my fingers so easily...

o well...

http://triumvirstore.3dcartstores.com/MadWorld-Hoodie-Special_p_331.html

[quote name='JEKKI']noooooooooooooo~!!!

I was THIS close to snaggin one of those jackets!!!

but the stupid website wouldnt let me log in coz they decided to introduce a broken verification code process... and I was tryin to log in BEFORE the item officially dropped at 2PM.

by the time I had successfully logged in... which was AFTER I had the coat added to my cart... they were all gone!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I waited all week for it only to let it slip between my fingers so easily...

o well...

http://triumvirstore.3dcartstores.com/MadWorld-Hoodie-Special_p_331.html

Nobody expected it to crack the top ten. Most games don't crack the top ten. We don't know where it landed, how much it cost to make, or what kind of legs it will have.

I still havent even started on level 2 yet. I just have no motivation to go back to it, it felt so plain jane control wise. I love the effects and style, but it being on the wii makes me less wanting to put any effort into it. Hopefully i'll either finish it one day, or it'll hit PSN and i'll buy and finish it there. Whatever happens, this game is never going to get the love it deserves in its current state.

[quote name='databuild']Appears the game only sold 66,000 copies last month. Looks like we will be seeing Wii Play 3 featuring curling and such for the rest of the console's lifespan. (Note: Not that I have anything against curling...but really now...)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208157.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4[/quote]

Their previous brawler, Godhand, sold 42k LIFETIME in the US. I guess we'll be seeing nothing but Buzz and Singstar on the PS2 from now on.

oh wait.

This is a another game I finally got to try out last night, with it temporarily being in my possession. I played for 2 hours or so and it's definitely a fun game that kept me wanting to keep going (and staying up a bit too late). I love the graphic style, of course. I don't doubt that the game gets old after a while, but then it apparently isn't that long either, so maybe that's just as well. I figure I'll pick this up for real at some point, probably when I can get a copy for approx. $20.

The Soundtrack is out in the states now!

3700088522_54a379dce1.jpg

Here at SEGA, we're also going to be giving away a hard copy of the soundtrack (free) and some rare MADWORLD stickers (also free) this Friday on Twitter! Pictures, details, and a video here.

Good luck, cheap ass gamers. :)

I really wanted to love this game, but I haven't turned it on in ages. Too much of the same thing, and I find it impossibly hard to pull off good combos; I think the farthest I've ever made it was to the third rank...once.

On the plus side, I love some of the music, so at least I got that out of it. I don't care how girly this song is, I fucking blast this in my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcgvr7xE7E

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I really wanted to love this game, but I haven't turned it on in ages. Too much of the same thing, and I find it impossibly hard to pull off good combos; I think the farthest I've ever made it was to the third rank...once.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, I want to love this game, hell NMH is my favorite non Nintendo published Wii game. It just gets repetitive and when I say that I mean all I end up doing is throwing people into something that kills them for 15 mins then a boss (and it gets annoying when you throw someone on the same thing 10+ times and have to watch the animation over and over). I would of liked this game better if they focused on more hand to hand combat and less throw people onto spikes.

^ Indeed. I think I've finally stopped tricking myself into liking this game. I really don't. I tried playing it again last night after I made that post, and I realized that I really just hate, which is a shame because they style, music, and concept are all so cool. Oh well, I'll probably be trading it soon.

I don't know, i think there's usually enough different obstacles in a level that you shouldn't have to use the same one 10 times. I played through the whole game in 3 days, I didn't think it was long enough to get repetitive.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I agree, I want to love this game, hell NMH is my favorite non Nintendo published Wii game. It just gets repetitive and when I say that I mean all I end up doing is throwing people into something that kills them for 15 mins then a boss (and it gets annoying when you throw someone on the same thing 10+ times and have to watch the animation over and over). I would of liked this game better if they focused on more hand to hand combat and less throw people onto spikes.[/QUOTE]

Would have to agree with this too. I think it started to wear thin in Franks level for me. The bosses were still fun, but the rest of the levels were meh at best.

I wanted to like it, but in the end I got rid of the game and popped NMH back in for some beat em up action.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']^ Indeed. I think I've finally stopped tricking myself into liking this game. I really don't. I tried playing it again last night after I made that post, and I realized that I really just hate, which is a shame because they style, music, and concept are all so cool. Oh well, I'll probably be trading it soon.[/QUOTE]

Sums up my feelings on the game. Would fuckin' LOVE the hoodie in heather gray with black print though.. to bad they never sold them.

I started to play this game today, and by the time i got to the dart board in level 2 i was bored. I couldnt even hit anyone onto the dart board. I hate the camera, and its just really boring doing the same stuff over and over. The levels seem small. I know i didnt play much but wow, im disappointed. The swearing was all over the place, like they put in as much swearing as they could. Swear words every 10 seconds. I was hoping it would be as good as no more heroes. Oh well, i have no desire to play more.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I started to play this game today, and by the time i got to the dart board in level 2 i was bored. I couldnt even hit anyone onto the dart board. I hate the camera, and its just really boring doing the same stuff over and over. The levels seem small. I know i didnt play much but wow, im disappointed. The swearing was all over the place, like they put in as much swearing as they could. Swear words every 10 seconds. I was hoping it would be as good as no more heroes. Oh well, i have no desire to play more.[/QUOTE]

It gets repetitive. Not for everyone.

I dont think the game is repetitive, since the stages are short and u get rewarded for each one with an epic boss fight.

plus u get awesome music to listen to in each stage!!

it's not like it stretches the game out for a long time for the sake of repetitiveness, unless u suck.

How do you seriously call MadWorld repetitive and then say No More Heroes is better?

No More Heroes, while as great of a game as MadWorld, is so much more repetitive ... both games have little variety in regular enemies besides the meaty boss fights. Both games have a very limited moveset (and while it's left at that in NMH, I think there's more variety in MadWorld because of the many different combos of posts, tires, candlesticks, etc.) ... except No More Heroes forces you to spend 1/3-1/2 of your time interacting in a void of an overworld to repetitively gain money from side jobs/assassination gigs. Both games had decent stories, although I'll give the nod to No More Heroes here because it's a nice mindfuck with a decent cliffhanger.

[quote name='snipegod']How do you seriously call MadWorld repetitive and then say No More Heroes is better?
[/QUOTE]
I haven't played No More Heroes since I finished my one playthrough a year and a half ago, but I do know I was able to blow through 15-20 hours of NMH in a matter of weeks and couldn't get halfway into the 6-hour MadWorld campaign over the course of a month. I'm planning on getting back to it after I finish LKS, but I'm not expecting much.

I think the difference might be with MW you're either forced to be creative (i.e. doing the same things over and over again to get more complex kills) or run around in circles until you've killed enough people to move on. NMH had better pacing as a result, for me (once you get past the point where you have to do the menial jobs for cash). You just ran through shit. If you like to build up combos in MW, it's probably a much more entertaining game.

For the most part I'm just recalling bitterness that
I died at the boss in the castle courtyard once, and then for the next half dozen attempts I kept running into the fucking reaper so I gave up.

[quote name='botticus']If you like to build up combos in MW, it's probably a much more entertaining game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you need to play the game with the combo system in mind to really appreciate it, I think. I never ran into the problem of not having enough score because I was really trying to max the combos per enemy... tires, signposts/candlesticks, slam repeatedly into the rosebush, etc.

To be honest with you, I thought some of the score thresholds were absurdly low because I was really focusing on the rewarding ultra-violence levels. I'd get a couple of guys with ultra-violence and then multiple thresholds would be met.

Is Madworld known to cause Wiis to freeze? I'm playing a new copy I bought a few months ago and so far the game has frozen 2 times mid level with the last two or three seconds of music just looping. I had to do a hard reset on my Wii both times.

I've been playing my Wii quite a bit lately (all three Metroid Prime Trilogy games and Mushroom Men beaten over the last two months) and I didn't have freezing issues with either of those games.

Good to see it's the game and not my Wii that's having problems. My first one had a bad GPU that started to die in less then a year, I was getting worried I would have to replace this one also.

I'm having a little trouble timing the up/down swipe with bosses. I feel like the game only gives you a split second. Any tips?

Overall, awesome game.

bread's done
Back