The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='KingBroly']On December 10th: 3.15

- Controller pairing issues fixed
- PSP Minis will be playable on the PS3
- Data transfer between 2 PS3's through an Ethernet cable

The only one that sounds interesting to me is that last one. If that allows for Locked Save Files to be transferred AND usable on another PS3, then they are making it really tempting for people to upgrade to a Slim.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it would've been nice to have been able to move my Rockband saves when I upgraded to the slim. While 3.15 may fix the controller sync issues I just hope it doesn't fuck anything else up in the process!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/ps3-3-15-system-software-update/
Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) will receive its next system software update shortly – v. 3.15. This is an optional update, and it enables existing PS3 owners who purchase a new PS3 system (perhaps as a second unit for the household) to transfer their content from their current PS3 to the new system. Content such as games, game save data, and videos downloaded from PlayStation Network can be transferred to the new PS3 system and deleted from the current PS3 system. Other content, including personal media files (photos, music, videos), can be copied onto the new PS3 and remain on the current PS3 system.

Here’s a quick primer on how the Data Transfer Utility works.
Data Transfer Utility

1. Turn both the current PS3 (A) and new PS3 (B) on and connect them with a LAN cable; PS3 (A) should be connected to the TV. Please note, firmware (v3.15) must be installed on both systems.
  2. On the XMB of PS3 (A), scroll to the Settings category and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
  3. Follow the instructions on-screen and transfer data
  4. After transferring the data, follow the instructions on-screen, and then connect PS3 (B) to the TV to view the XMB
  5. If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate PS3 (B) before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.
More details on Data Transfer Utility will be available here once the firmware update is live.

minis
The 3.15 update also enables “minis” to be played on a PS3 system. As we’ve reported here before, “minis” launched on PlayStation Network this fall in conjunction with the launch of PSPgo. These bite-sized games offer a more casual experience and are ideal for shorter gameplay sessions. Now PS3 owners will be able to play “minis,” and those who own both a PS3 and PSP system will be able to play on either platform. “minis” for the PS3 system will be available for download on PlayStation Store in the coming weeks. If you’ve purchased any “minis” already for your PSP and the title becomes available for PS3, you’ll simply need to download the title to your PS3.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.
Sounds like it'll be out tonight and it'll make Cheapest happy because it's optional.

Reading the Minis paragraph is painful because I imagine it being read by a smug guy using hand gestures for all of the quotation marks. The transfer utility sounds like a really useful tool for people switching to a Slim, though it arrived a lot later than it should have.

I would love to use that transfer feature if my old PS3 Blu-Ray drive goes out (it will happen sooner or later right?) and I want to replace it with a slim. Also minis on PS3 sounds good. 10$ Tetris on both PSP and PS3 sounds good.

Being able to play minis is neat, but I haven't been interested in anything they've released so far. I wonder how far away they are from letting you play PSP game purchases from the PSN store on the PS3.

*sigh* We still won't be able to move copy-protected saves...

[quote name='James Thorpe']Hi Hirndoctor, you can copy all PS3 save data except for game saves that are protected by the game publishers through the transfer utility. Please check in the game manual for Killzone to find out if the game saves are protected[/QUOTE]

[quote name='James Thorpe']No, copy protected save data can not be transfered due to publisher’s requirements[/quote]

I'm hoping that Minis on the PS3 have some sort of HD option so they won't look as bad as I can imagine PSP games looking on a 720p or 1080p set.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Being able to play minis is neat, but I haven't been interested in anything they've released so far. I wonder how far away they are from letting you play PSP game purchases from the PSN store on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

that's the feed back that they need... oh yeah, and ALL PSP games would be online via the ahhoc utility... could be nice...

So app the data transfer option allows you to do is transfer without having to use an external drive, right?

It also sounded like it erases some of the game data on the original PS3 (system A in their illustration).

[quote name='Darknyss']*sigh* We still won't be able to move copy-protected saves...[/QUOTE]

Damn. Way for them to take what sounded like a really excellent idea and fuck it up. It sounds like a good feature to have but if you're transferring everything over then that's just absurd to not do everything.

[quote name='johnnypark']Damn. Way for them to take what sounded like a really excellent idea and fuck it up. It sounds like a good feature to have but if you're transferring everything over then that's just absurd to not do everything.[/QUOTE]
Its the developers decision. Not Sony. Pisses me off developers would actually lock game saves. I would lose my Rock Band 2 data if I moved to another console. I'm sure if Sony enabled locked game saves to transfer to another console, then some developer would sue Sony just for that small feature.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah "optional" your options are to install this fix or keep dealing with controller sync issues![/QUOTE]

Knock on wood, I've been having zero controller issues as of late since doing the file restore.:D

Of course, now that I said that I'm going to go to turn on my system tomorrow and find the issues have returned.

[quote name='FroMann']Its the developers decision. Not Sony. Pisses me off developers would actually lock game saves. I would lose my Rock Band 2 data if I moved to another console. I'm sure if Sony enabled locked game saves to transfer to another console, then some developer would sue Sony just for that small feature.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd go a step further and say it's absurd that the option even exists for publishers to do so in the 1st place, which is Sony's decision/fault. I realize for some online games (and now with Trophies) there can be some justification from a development point of view but for it to be so permanent and not locked to your PSN ID is really frustrating.

What the fuck is a copy protected save? What gives them the right to tell me what I can do with my hard work on a game? fucking DRM Nazis. What games have copy protected saves so I can be righteously indignant?

I know Mercenaries 2 did, which sucked when I went to copy my saves from my old PS3 to a PNY flash drive, only to be told that the file couldn't be copied.

Of course, it's such a glitchy pos that it's not even worth playing the damn game for the most part, but if you have Mercs 2 and wanna switch to a new PS3, you're SOL on copying that save.

[quote name='johnnypark']Well, I'd go a step further and say it's absurd that the option even exists for publishers to do so in the 1st place, which is Sony's decision/fault. I realize for some online games (and now with Trophies) there can be some justification from a development point of view but for it to be so permanent and not locked to your PSN ID is really frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Locked saves were happening long before Trophies (RSV2 for example), so that excuse is bull. To me it's one of the dumbest things ever and I really see no point to it at all.

my favorite method of locking game saves is burnout paradise, which locks it to your psn id. making it copyable, but not sharable.

[quote name='torifile']What the fuck is a copy protected save? What gives them the right to tell me what I can do with my hard work on a game? fucking DRM Nazis. What games have copy protected saves so I can be righteously indignant?[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head, many Capcom/Backbone PSN games like Mega Man 9 and Puzzle Fighter have protected saves. Also Rock Band 1 & 2 saves, plus Red Faction Guerrilla's multiplayer data are protected.

I couldn't believe they'd lock down something like Mega Man (especially after playing it for a few hours at a friend's :bomb:). It makes me miss the old days of
a6.png

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah "optional" your options are to install this fix or keep dealing with controller sync issues![/QUOTE]
+1 This update can't come soon enough.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Hey look, it's optional! So there shouldn't be any bitching, right? RIGHT?!?!?[/QUOTE]

If it at least was JUST the controller sync issue bug fix and an actual admission of 'we fucked up' from Sony, then yeah. But this adds in more useless shit that may fuck up something else.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If it at least was JUST the controller sync issue bug fix and an actual admission of 'we fucked up' from Sony, then yeah. But this adds in more useless shit that may fuck up something else.:roll:[/QUOTE]
Can that controller sync issue be solved? I have that issue as well.

Twice now I've been able to fix my control sync issue like this:

1) turn on the ps3 with the ps button on the controller. If it loses sync,
2) turn off the ps3 and then
3) turn it back on with the power button then
4) press the ps button on the controller

When I followed those steps, the controller worked fine again. Until the next time I turned the system on, at least. Easier than doing a file system restore which seems more like coincidence than actually fixing the problem anyway. :shrugs:

[quote name='hero101']Can that controller sync issue be solved? I have that issue as well.[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, the file restoring seems to have worked. Of course, since I keep saying how it worked I know I'm jinxing myself and one of these times I'm going to have the sync issues pop up again.:roll:

Just find my post about how to do the file restore and that should solve it(if only temporarily).

[quote name='jman619']My PS3 use to never freeze on me, and now sometimes it does. I wondered If it was the new update or something else causing it.[/QUOTE]

you're just exerting the power of the cell. You need to add another SPU into it to offload the stress man.

You should try the file restore thing, jman, as I haven't had any real freezing issues since doing it. I think it acts like a defragging program for the PS3.

The only thing I noticed that the file restore messes up is if you have a custom wallpaper. You'll have to go in and reset it. But other than that, it seemed to speed everything up.

My one buddy also told me that holding down the eject button will realign the disc slot if you're having issues with that.

EDIT: Here's a cut/pate and quote of how to do the file restore for those who wanna try it:

Hold the reset/power button to turn on the PS3, keep holding it till the system shuts back down a first time after 3 beeps. Then press and hold the button again to turn on the system and keep holding it till it beeps four times this time. The third and fourth beeps will be closely grouped.

It will bring up a prompt to plug in your controller via the USB charging cable. Do that, then select option 3 to 'restore file system' from the menu it brings up.

This process should take about a minute or two to complete. After that, the PS3 will restart and everything SHOULD be fine from then on out.

[quote name='Paco']you're just exerting the power of the cell. You need to add another SPU into it to offload the stress man.[/QUOTE]

Considering I don't game as much as I use to did. I don't think that's the case Paco. xD Of course I know your joking.

[quote name='Paco']Cheapest still ducks me because he knows I'll KOMBAT his ass into THE PIT.[/QUOTE]

I saw your message yesterday. I would have played,but for whatever reason my net is crap during the day until late at night. That's one reason I was playing Blazblue. It still plays fine when my net is sucking.

[quote name='Paco']Cheapest still ducks me because he knows I'll KOMBAT his ass into THE PIT.[/QUOTE]

Not if I'm playing with my usual character of Sub-Zero, whose moves(including finishers) I still have memorized from 1993 or so when this game came out.:D

Sub Zero? I random everyone. I don't have to use one character. I play random AND I know most of the characters moves by heart already due to years of KOMBAT.

Fixes bluetooth, LAN transfer of save games and data between 2 ps3s, PSP Minis (now just called Minis) playable on both PS3 and PSP. Minis playable on the 17th.

Sweet baby jebus! After the update I can finally (again) turn on my PS3 slim by using the PS button! Woot! Hopefully it continues to work :D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, I know Sub-Zero best but I do have many of the movesets of other characters memorized too. Although I rarely play other characters.[/QUOTE]

Sub Zero is all testicles and NO SHAFT. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR SHAFT ZERO?

[quote name='SynGamer']Remember, it's optional, exactly what Cheapest always asks for ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually, the actual firmware and bug fixes I WANT(unless they mess up my system like the 3.10 one did), but the shit like Facebook and more photo garbage and other shit I'll never use I'd like to be able to make optional.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Hey, you guys remember that this is the firmware thread, right? Keep it on topic, por favor.[/QUOTE]

It IS on topic. We're discussing WHY Sony needed to release a new one so soon(the fix for PS3 slim owners whose controllers are fucked up due to 3.10 is hidden in 3.15), so no need to get your panties in a wad.:D Although Paco challenging me to some matches in MK II was not, so sorry bout that.:D

Furthermore, lively discussion as to whether they should allow us to pick and choose what we actually want in the firmware updates(aside from the actual firmware and bug fixes themselves) should be allowed as well, since I still say that very little(outside of text chat and in-game XMB)of the fluff that's been included has been of real use to me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It IS on topic. We're discussing WHY Sony needed to release a new one so soon(the fix for PS3 slim owners whose controllers are fucked up due to 3.10 is hidden in 3.15), so no need to get your panties in a wad.:D Although Paco challenging me to some matches in MK II was not, so sorry bout that.:D

Furthermore, lively discussion as to whether they should allow us to pick and choose what we actually want in the firmware updates(aside from the actual firmware and bug fixes themselves) should be allowed as well, since I still say that very little(outside of text chat and in-game XMB)of the fluff that's been included has been of real use to me.[/QUOTE]
Please don't try and cover, 6 out of the last 10 posts were about Mortal Kombat. Just keep it on topic.

Paco needs to be silenced for derailing every pants-shitting thread he posts in, and IATCG needs to be silenced out of sheer fucking principle.

On topic, off to download 3.15!

bread's done
Back