The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

Any word on if the new firmware's data transfer utility also moves over copy-protected game saves? There's a lot of debate over this on the EU PlayStation blog. This screenshot was posted, but I wonder if anyone who's updated here can confirm it for themselves.

It's got to do it.
EU Blog said it didn't copy them, which is true. It moves them, and deletes it from the old drive.

All non copy protected stuff is kept on both drives.

[quote name='dallow']It's got to do it.
EU Blog said it didn't copy them, which is true. It moves them, and deletes it from the old drive.

All non copy protected stuff is kept on both drives.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. It sounded worthless if it didn't copy lock protected saves. I'd be fucking pissed if I lost my Demon's Souls save. It's amazing how one game can truly bring the demon within.

You need to calm down Kevermin. All in good fun. Cheapest was talking about how he got MK2 because it's the highest he'll pay for a DD game and I want to test his gameplay skills. No need to get your knickers in a twist ol chap.

But the minis thing not working on the firmware is bullshit. I wanted to play some damn Tetris.

It seems the bluetooth controller is finally working properly. Thank god.

Updating now... It will be nice not to have to deal with controller sync issues anymore although I do have to say it's only happened once since I did that file restore thing that Cheapest posted a few pages back.

It's nice to know that with this update you can salvage your saves if the console ever dies or you want to upgrade. This would've been nice to have a couple months ago when I upgraded to the slim system.

It is sort of ironic that the firmware that contains the bugs is mandatory but the patch is optional.

So with the transfer utility, can you pick and choose which game saves to transfer?

I have some copy-protected saves still on my phat but I don't want to copy over everything.

[quote name='Darknyss']So with the transfer utility, can you pick and choose which game saves to transfer?

I have some copy-protected saves still on my phat but I don't want to copy
over everything.[/QUOTE]

No. It transfers ALL of your game saves essentially then deletes them from the PS3.

I don't see what the point in transferring them is if you can't use them. I mean, you can put them on a USB stick already.

[quote name='Chitown021']It is sort of ironic that the firmware that contains the bugs is mandatory but the patch is optional.[/QUOTE]

:applause:What's even funnier though is that I saw no mention of the Bluetooth sync issue fix on the PS Blog page raving about the other features in this optional update.:roll:

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't see what the point in transferring them is if you can't use them. I mean, you can put them on a USB stick already.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you weren't allowed to put the copy protected ones on a USB flash drive up until now. Believe me, it happened with my Mercenaries 2 save in which I had JUST passed the infamous(ly buggy) church mission.:roll:

Unfortunately, this transfer feature doesn't help me at all, since I had to trade in my fat PS3 to get my slim PS3. Not all of us spend MSRP on a new system, Sony, so how about some way to break or circumvent the copy protected ones to allow for copying of them?

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']well i updated last night and this time everything went ok it went to the install screen and i saw it's progress this time :applause:[/QUOTE]

Have you had any issues so far? Or everything still vanilla? :cool:

[quote name='jh6269']Anyone having issues w/the new firmware? I'm thinking of updating it soon.[/QUOTE]

I was having huge trophy sync issues with 3.10. It would time out constantly at around 22-24% if I tried to sync my trophy info or compare mine to others. I tried it at all times of the day, but it seems fine now with 3.15. Smooth as butter and/or a baby's bottom so far.

Oddly enough, this was probably the fastest update I've ever had. Probably took 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

Just bit on 3.15 so far so good. Seems to be running smooth and has fixed a few issues for me, and to agree with Nirron one of the fastest updates ever.

Thanks for the reminder, hopefully it fixes the problems I've been having.

I havent had any issues.

Although, just to head off any potential questions, some of your minis (the majority of your minis) will not function until next week on the 17th. According to PSB, you will have to redownload the minis you want to play on PS3, following next weeks store update.

Cool, thanks all. I don't know if I should bother upgrading now or what. Hav't had any problems so far w/ any update so far, but I've been playing quite a bit recently and don't want to mess anything up. Sounds like all is well tho, which is good to hear.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Have you had any issues so far? Or everything still vanilla? :cool:[/QUOTE]

so far so good last update was acting weird for me this one seems solid trophy syncs are faster and no freezing issues or anything like that so far. played Pure and god of war collection yesterday and they played fine

Ahhh fuck it. I'm downloading this silly update just in case my controller sync issues come back. Hopefully, downloading it won't cause them to come back, since I haven't had them since the file restore.

I don't who it was but after one (or two) of the previous updates, people (including myself) were having problems with the syncing of the PS3 Mic. Basicaly you can sync it, but it will not display on screen. I was having a similar problem but I fixed it, by taking the mic out of the cradle and hooking it directly to the PS3 w/ the USB cord; Next turn on the PS3 mic and it was register automatically. From there you should start gettting the on screen notification(s) for the mic will start to pop up when its in use.

I don't remember where this issue was brought up. However if you're having problem try this fix, it should work..

The update seemed to take longer than usual and when it was finished my controller was turned off. I don't remember that ever happening before.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That happens after every update since it resets the system once you download it.[/QUOTE]

I guess I forgot about that. :)

If anyone's interested, I just used the Data Transfer Utility in v3.15 to transfer my 80GB BC PS3 to the PS3 slim. It "copies" everything, and then "moves" the protected saves. You don't get a choice in what gets moved or not, unless you delete it from your original PS3 before running the utility.

Everything worked great! It even copies the accounts over for you, though it does not copy over their passwords. Make sure to deactivate your accounts on the old PS3 before running the utility, then activate them on the new PS3 afterwards. (It will prompt you to do this if you forget, though it doesn't wipe the old PS3)

[quote name='Torrwin']If anyone's interested, I just used the Data Transfer Utility in v3.15 to transfer my 80GB BC PS3 to the PS3 slim. It "copies" everything, and then "moves" the protected saves. You don't get a choice in what gets moved or not, unless you delete it from your original PS3 before running the utility.

Everything worked great! It even copies the accounts over for you, though it does not copy over their passwords. Make sure to deactivate your accounts on the old PS3 before running the utility, then activate them on the new PS3 afterwards. (It will prompt you to do this if you forget, though it doesn't wipe the old PS3)[/QUOTE]Glad it went well. Just what I like to hear for when it's my turn.

[quote name='metaly']Just tried to sign in and it asked me to update to 3.15. Surprise manditoryification?[/QUOTE]

Caught me by surprise too. I hope this doesn't fuck anything up.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Would the data transfer utility work for upgrading my HDD?[/QUOTE]

Not really, since it only works on PS3 to PS3 transfers

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Mandatory 3.15 update has been confirmed by Sony. Can a mod or the TC change the title of the thread?[/QUOTE]
This is true tried playing Mw2 and it required an update or no dice on online play (Op said it was optional should be updated)

One of us, one of us. :lol::lol::lol: Apparently, even when the fw update had nothing to do with some PS3 owners, Sony feels as if those who didn't have to download it prior should just to keep everyone on the same annoying playing field. :roll::roll::roll:

Now if they'd just make these friggin' things optional I'd be a happy fuckin' camper.

I'm not starting anything, just saying(again) that's it's totally stupid of Sony to force everyone to download everything about the updates, especially since some of them are NOT needed by everyone.

Case in point being this 3.15 update, which was an update to FIX the issues(controller sync, for one) that the prior universal update fucked up on people's slim PS3's.

No one I know who has a fat PS3 had ANY issues with their controllers, yet now they're even forced to install this useless(for them) update.

As for shutting down this thread over off topic discussion, the discussion of the uselessness of these stupid fuckin' updates is ON TOPIC. Some of us just wanna play our games and not have 50 PS Store icons, a Facebook icon or whatever other useless shit the tweens who must comprise a good portion of PS3 owners are 'zomg demanding'. Every fw blog on Sony's site has comments from morons who 'can't live without' this or that garbage, but why should the rest of us be forced to live WITH it? Optional updates!!!

Oh really, the 3.10 update screwed controller sync up? That must've been why it was frustrating to ever get the thing synced.... Thanks bro :D

But, I don't mind having updates being mandatory. But really bro, you're going to need to get this update for the next one. In the end, you get the updates anyway. May as well get them now.

Glad I could help, as I was quite frustrated when the sync issues popped up after 3.1 or whatever fw update borked them to begin with.
I kept having to press the reset button on the back of the controller, then plug it in and press the PS button just about every time I turned the system on. That got annoying, which is why I still say Sony has monkeys coding these friggin' updates. At least they should TEST the damn things before releasing them to the general publiv. But instead PS3 owners are the guinea pigs.

But I still stand by my statement that all of the useless shit I can do without(20 PS Store icons, Facebook icon, etc, etc). Just gimme the fuckin' bug/glitch fixes(without all the fluff) and shove the Facebook and other useless crap.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31367/sony-ps3-3d-firmware-summer-2010

As Sony celebrates its Christmas sales success story for the PlayStation 3 (even though reports suggest the gaming giant is still losing money on each console it sells) Pocket-lint posed some questions to John Koller, the director of hardware marketing for SCEA about the high-end console's immediate future.

3D is set to be big in 2010, and Sony is not standing still in this market with 3D BRAVIA TVs due to hit this summer, which incidentally is when the PS3 is due its firmware update that will turn it into a fully-fledged, stereoscopic 3D-capable games platform, not to mention separate updates also due that will bring support for 3D Blu-ray.

Read on for our Q&A covering 3D, a 1TB PS3 and an App Store for the PlayStation Network...

I really want 3D but I'll wait until manufactures get together for a standard. Currently everyone has different ways of doing 3D and it won't be compatible.

I predict cheapest will complain about a useless firmware update, then 10 years from now he'll buy a 3D TV and repent.

[quote name='mguiddy']I predict cheapest will complain about a useless firmware update, then 10 years from now he'll buy a 3D TV and repent.[/QUOTE]

That sounds about right. He still doesn't have a HDTV though... So maybe 20 years from now. xD

[quote name='jman619']That sounds about right. He still doesn't have a HDTV though... So maybe 20 years from now. xD[/QUOTE]

I think you'll have to pry his SDTV from his cold, dead hands.

Looks like he got HD, so maybe it will only be 10 years before he goes to 3D.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back