The New New Urban Dead Cheap Ass Survivor Thread

I'm gonna be more-or-less gone for the next couple of days, so I don't imagine much will happen. We've got a scout heading up north right now. Those of you who are fully stocked and need something to hit, talk to JolietJake. He has a small bounty on him, and we might as well take advantage of this short peace to lower that bounty. Just make sure you follow proper Brainstock procedure. And talk to him first.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Got a lot of ammo, but no targets.

Are there a lot of ruined buildings in our burb?

If so, I can spend the next few days repairing and barricading.[/quote]

I think everything is barricaded and powered, so we might have to spread out to do that.

[quote name='darthbudge']I think everything is barricaded and powered, so we might have to spread out to do that.[/quote]

Yeah, I ventured out around 10 clicks from CS and there was absolutely nothing going on. There were even survivors roaming the streets! Madness!

The area I'm at right now is hot. I'm about 6 blocks sw of BG. Going back and forth between the pd and hospital, fending of the zed bastards.

Yeah, if anyone wants the kill on me thats fine, just tell me first. This is assuming somebody is nearby with syringe.

Jake: I can kill you, res you, or both (depending on RNG).

We're in the same place right now so it'd be easy.

If another CAS needs the xp, I can just help out.

I'll check back a bit later, let me know.

I usually avoid MUDs/MMOs, but my insatiable obsession with zombies (mmm, social commentaries AND post apocalyptic scenarios) has piqued my interest in this game. I have a few questions before I commit though:

How much and how often do you have to play?
What happens when you aren't logged on?
Is the game heavily stacked toward veterans like most MMOs? (i.e. how bad does the rape hurt when you are a newb?)
Is the UI archaic and text based or nice and easy on the eyes?

I think that's all I got actually.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']I usually avoid MUDs/MMOs, but my insatiable obsession with zombies (mmm, social commentaries AND post apocalyptic scenarios) has piqued my interest in this game. I have a few questions before I commit though:

How much and how often do you have to play?
What happens when you aren't logged on?
Is the game heavily stacked toward veterans like most MMOs? (i.e. how bad does the rape hurt when you are a newb?)
Is the UI archaic and text based or nice and easy on the eyes?

I think that's all I got actually.[/quote]

Answers from my perspective:

This is the only MMO that I play as I can't get into the idea of the timesuck that is most of them. I too was attracted by the subject matter and the low level of commitment needed to play. I only started in February so I'll answer as best I can.

This game allows only 50 action points per day regenerated at a rate of 1ap per half hour. An action can be anything your chacter does; (loading a gun, swinging an axe, opening a door, moving 1 block, etc.) With this system, a player can lierally burn through 50ap in 10 min. or stretch it out over a short time.

Every character in the game is human controlled and when you aren't logged in the world still exists around you. Your character can be attacked, healed, and killed in your absence. The exception is if you are inactive for a time (3 days I believe) in which case your character goes into "hiding".

Although it helps to have the skills that come with higher levels, starting isn't that bad especially with help from a group. The first few levels are tough as a zombie or a survivor though currently staring as a zombie might be a bit easier. Once you get your first few levels though, the game moves quickly.

As to the graphical interface, it is about as basic as you can get. If you're looking for pretty pictures, this is not the game for you. There are extensions that help out with this but I'm not the one to ask about 'em. (option.iv would be a better choice)

Really this game boils down to a social activivty where the meta-gaming aspect plays a role as big or small as you want. Our little group has started to find itself as of late and would be moree then happy to help you start out. Some groups are more active then others outside of the game, we probably fall in the middle.

Your best bet for more specifics on/about the game is the wiki:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Main_Page

As a new user I would also check out these two pages:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/First_Day_in_Malton
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/A_Beginners_Guide_to_Urban_Dead

If you do decide to join us, put the CAS as your group affiliation and add yourself to our wiki:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Cheap_Ass_Survivors

That's quite a bit and that's all I got, hope it helps!

J.Jake: I'll try to check in tonight if I can help blow your head off!:lol:

Wow, thanks for the response. It sounds pretty groovy. I think I'll sign up tonight and see if I can get in contact with the CAS resistance. Then I'll proceed to die like an idiot for a few hours until I get the hang of it. Should be great!

One more question though regarding the AP thing. What happens in fights? Do people save AP and then just blow thru them as fast as possible to get a kill quickly or does each AP expense take some time to register (i.e. somewhat turn based)?

I'm reading the wikis now, so I might answer my own question...

In fights one generally does as much damge as one can in the shortest amount of time, especially as a zombie. So yeah, you can blow through your ap in a matter of minutes when it hits the fan and it would not be considered turn-based.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Wow, thanks for the response. It sounds pretty groovy. I think I'll sign up tonight and see if I can get in contact with the CAS resistance. Then I'll proceed to die like an idiot for a few hours until I get the hang of it. Should be great!

One more question though regarding the AP thing. What happens in fights? Do people save AP and then just blow thru them as fast as possible to get a kill quickly or does each AP expense take some time to register (i.e. somewhat turn based)?

I'm reading the wikis now, so I might answer my own question...[/quote]

If you are going to be successful in killing anything in UD, it is going to take quite a bit of AP to do it. You can blow through it as fast as you want. The only limiting factor is how fast the server refreshes and if you are using a weapon that needs to be reloaded or not.

I moved away from CS looking for places to repair and barricade. All the buildings are barricaded. Most have power. All of the resource buildings have power. For suburbs being in the red, I was expecting a lot more ruined buildings.

Alright I'm in. My tag is Dr Simon Clever (guess what class I am?). I'm adding myself to the wiki now. Can someone PM the IRC crap and get me movin' toward our cheapass resistance?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I moved away from CS looking for places to repair and barricade. All the buildings are barricaded. Most have power. All of the resource buildings have power. For suburbs being in the red, I was expecting a lot more ruined buildings.[/quote]

Remember that the danger levels should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Some players will try to gain an advantage from the information they give or they just like to be jerks.

insertclever:
Glad to have you with us, make sure to add CAS members to your contact list.
Most like to use a specific color for team members, another for enemies, etc.
Never sleep outside and try to get the freerunning skill ASAP, it will help a lot.

JJ:
Should I shoot you now then, and do we have to make an announcement in game?
I'd hate for all the other survivors in here to flip out and call me a PKer!
Anybody else want to plug a few rounds into Jake or revive him? Free xp!

Thar be spies among us....

• k1ll3r221 died from an infection. (1 hour and 3 minutes ago)
  • Biff Manslab killed a zombie. (56 minutes ago)
  • Richard Rose said "hey teachbug, some zed spy came in with an infection, we killed him though, care to exchange enemy contacts?" (27 minutes ago)
  • 26.84 MHz: "6 zeds outside of St. Soter's, come get some target practice" (19 minutes ago)

[quote name='chuckie88']Remember that the danger levels should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Some players will try to gain an advantage from the information they give or they just like to be jerks.

insertclever:
Glad to have you with us, make sure to add CAS members to your contact list.
Most like to use a specific color for team members, another for enemies, etc.
Never sleep outside and try to get the freerunning skill ASAP, it will help a lot.

JJ:
Should I shoot you now then, and do we have to make an announcement in game?
I'd hate for all the other survivors in here to flip out and call me a PKer!
Anybody else want to plug a few rounds into Jake or revive him? Free xp![/quote]If you're gonna shoot me (thats fine) make sure you announce you're killing me for PKing, then take the bounty so they'll clear me.

Let me know before you revive me though, i want some zeds skills.

I don't know exactly, you go to the rouge's gallery i think and post that you got me or something. Just make sure that you take a screenshot when you kill me, this is pointless without one.

I'm outside garlick square FD.

Gotcha', I'll go grab the I-Witness bookmark thing to test out screenshots.

EDIT: I guess I'm a complete tool cause' I can't get this to work at all.
Anybody used this I-Witness function with any success?

Oh, didn't know that. But what's the use. It's probably more likely that they'd alter the screenshot instead of the iwitness deal.

edit: wait a minute, there are iwitness links on Brainstock pk reports threads. It should work. Brainstock is where you're reporting it, right?

You can kill me, hit prtscn, and then turn in that screenshot. There are a couple of zeds around, i don't want them getting me first.

[quote name='option.iv']Oh, didn't know that. But what's the use. It's probably more likely that they'd alter the screenshot instead of the iwitness deal.

edit: wait a minute, there are iwitness links on Brainstock pk reports threads. It should work.[/quote]
This is coming from what crotch said a few nights ago in the chat, he said they wouldn't accept the i-witness shots for some reason.

Alright, on my way with shotgun shells to spare. With option.iv on hand, I'll figure it out yet.

EDIT: (Never done a Printscreen screenshot in my life).
Yes, apparently I am that much of a techno-neophyte!

Thanks to you option I got it in MS paint. You want the revive right away Jake, did you get your skills?

Took a minute to kill you 'cause that survivor came out and healed you up, plus I had to blast the zed for good measure.

I stabbed ya' JJ you should be good to go. That damn other zed was chewing on me but no infection.

EDIT: He's 1NE and I'm working him over, come join in the fun if you'd like.
You'll probably get the kill as I've got him down to 30hp and am low on ap.
Never mind, I think Ivan got the kill.

Big props to option.iv for his advice on screenshot gathering.

Someone killed Jake, let's get the S.O.B.!

Does this count for my anti-PK kills on our wiki page?;)

[quote name='JolietJake']I can't, wouldn't look the same. Has to be from the person who killed me.[/quote]You're able to post that someone killed you on Brainstock with pitcture evidence to get your bounty lowered actually.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Well that was a boring first day. Hopefully I'll be able to be of some use tomorrow and actually heal/hurt something...[/quote]

Yeah, hang in there. The first week or so (maybe even longer) of UD is a total drag. I got 99% of my XP from healing members of our group. As soon as I got enough XP, I grabbed the Hand-to-Hand skills and Axe Proficiency so I could start taking swipes at zeds to earn XP.

I see that you have diagnosis which is great if you are going to level up using the FAK route. You're going to need Free Running next in order to really do much of anything.

I concur that the game starts slowly, but get fun after that. After you get all the skills though, you may start to lose interest.

I still haven't met up with the CAS resistance and the area around me is starting to heat up if my bunkmates are to be believed. I was half expecting to wake up dead this morning to keep true to the mythos...

Hopefully I'll find someone who actually needs one of these half a dozen FAKs I'm carrying. I need XP dammit!

EDIT: HAha! I logged in randomly during my lunch break just to see if I was still alive and I noticed one wounded guy, so I officially have my first 10 XP. Here I come free-running...in like two weeks...

[quote name='insertcleverthing']I still haven't met up with the CAS resistance and the area around me is starting to heat up if my bunkmates are to be believed. I was half expecting to wake up dead this morning to keep true to the mythos...

Hopefully I'll find someone who actually needs one of these half a dozen FAKs I'm carrying. I need XP dammit!

EDIT: HAha! I logged in randomly during my lunch break just to see if I was still alive and I noticed one wounded guy, so I officially have my first 10 XP. Here I come free-running...in like two weeks...[/quote]

Hey man, I too am a doctor. When I started, I basically blew all of my AP by searching for FAKs in a lit-up hospital (make sure it's lit up, since there is a better chance that you will find FAKs). Then I just healed random people. I'm not sure if you know, but 60HP is the max you can have, if you have the Body Building skill. If not, the max is 50HP, and if you heal anyone at max HP, you won't get any XP (which is why Dianosis is so great).

The next skill I got was free running, which is a must. From there you can do whatever. I picked up Shopping, since malls are an even better place to find FAKs and what not.

bread's done
Back