The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

Looks like he shot himself in front of Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-player-commits-suicide-team-facility

"Members of the Chiefs organization told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter some players noticed the shooter was troubled in his car and went in the facility and told someone before general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel called police and went outside to talk to him. The player then killed himself in front of them."

Crazy news. I was supposed to go to the game tomorrow, now i wonder if they may postpone/cancel it. I doubt any of the team, especially Romeo, would want to be there. Condolences to his gfs mom. Shitty thing for him to do.

Wow...this is a crazy story, and it's definitely one that doesn't really sound premeditated. If I had to guess, I'd say he got into a fight with his girlfriend (maybe she was cheating on him?), grabbed his gun and shot her, realized what he did, went to his coach for "help", found out that the police were on their way, and was so riddled with guilt and a fear of going to prison he acted rashly again and took his own life. I don't see the guy driving across town to kill himself in front of his coach intentionally. Just a crazy sequence of events there.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...this is a crazy story, and it's definitely one that doesn't really sound premeditated. If I had to guess, I'd say he got into a fight with his girlfriend (maybe she was cheating on him?), grabbed his gun and shot her, realized what he did, went to his coach for "help", found out that the police were on their way, and was so riddled with guilt and a fear of going to prison he acted rashly again and took his own life. I don't see the guy driving across town to kill himself in front of his coach intentionally. Just a crazy sequence of events there.[/QUOTE]

I heard it second hand, so take it for what its worth, but rumor is he did it because she came home late from a concert. im gonna guess there was issues between the two of them for a while.

To add to it, they left behind a 3 month old girl, and his girlfriend was a cousin of jamal charles wife.

I'm glad they aren't canceling the game but I don't know how Pioli and Crennel are going to sleep for the next few months.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Crazy news. I was supposed to go to the game tomorrow, now i wonder if they may postpone/cancel it. I doubt any of the team, especially Romeo, would want to be there. Condolences to his gfs mom. Shitty thing for him to do.[/QUOTE]

NFL have said they game will not be cancel

J.J. Watt gets the forced fumble and then the refs make some bullshit call and say Antonio Smith is down after he recovers the ball. He was very clearly NOT down. Should've been a TD!

EDIT: But that Tim Dobbins INT off the deflected pass sure made up for it :D

Holy fuck Christian Ponder is bad. This should be a blowout by now and its not because hes making the packers D look like the 49ers.

Very sad story indeed, but at least the Chiefs can find a little something to feel good about with the win they earned.

My Houston Texans just clinched a playoff spot! Extremely excited for the postseason. If we can take down the Patriots next week, home field advantage is almost guaranteed.

Colts just fucking pulled off a HUGE upset.You can almost hear the sound of Lions fans hearts breaking everywhere.....again lol

[quote name='ajh2298']Frak! If the Lions finish with 33 points some d-bag at my work is going to win $3300.00.[/QUOTE]And it looks like that d-bag just won some money lol

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']A 7-4 team beating a 4-7 team is a huge upset? They just pulled off a huge win over a team that has disappointed all year long.[/QUOTE]I guess I should've called it a comeback victory then. When a team is dominating another throughout most of the game, has a 12 point lead midway through the 4th quarter, and then said team loses on the very last play of the game, that's not an upset?

[quote name='PimpLimp']I guess I should've called it a comeback victory then. When a team is dominating another throughout most of the game, has a 12 point lead midway through the 4th quarter, and then said team loses on the very last play of the game, that's not an upset?[/QUOTE]
No, it's a comeback like you said.

[quote name='Javery']I'm glad they aren't canceling the game but I don't know how Pioli and Crennel are going to sleep for the next few months.[/QUOTE]

It's sad that he died but canceling a game is a bit too much, the show must go on :roll: It's not like the tragedy was an accident, it was his choice.

I'll never understand why Ravens coaches don't seem to think Ray Rice is good enough to run 20+ times a game when he's getting 5-6 yards a run.

This was a good win for the Browns to get over a team they should be able to beat. They kept the penalties to a minimum and they did a great job passing to take advantage of the Raiders' bad secondary outside of a few bad throws by Weeden. I was disappointed to see that garbage time TD since the Raiders displayed amazingly bad clock management by passing to the middle of the field with no desire to run out of bounds. Cleveland let them throw down the middle all they wanted (check the play by play for the last Raiders drive for proof), so they wasted three minutes on that one last drive.

[quote name='RealDeals']Broncos Ravens two weeks from now is gonna be big when it comes to home-field.[/QUOTE]If Texans beat the Patriots next week, all they have to do is win 1 out of their next 3 and a bye is guaranteed. If Houston were to beat NE and Denver was to beat the Ravens the week after, Texans and Broncos would be sitting #1 and #2 in the AFC come week 16 :D

lol Bryce Brown wide open 4 feet in front of Foles and he throws it to Alaska.

How this game wasn't flexed is beyond me.

"Jovan Belcher, who killed himself and his pregnant girlfriend, had been an inspiration" not to be cold or anything... but why does the media keep trying to push positive things about him? A murder is still a murder, he's just as bad as O.J

The media is usually trying to ruin peoples reputation daily but why does Belcher get a pass? They would be against him if he didn't commit suicide. I have no sympathy for him, he killed his pregnant gf and that's all there is to it.

[quote name='Gannikus']"Jovan Belcher, who killed himself and his pregnant girlfriend, had been an inspiration" not to be cold or anything... but why does the media keep trying to push positive things about him? A murder is still a murder, he's just as bad as O.J

The media is usually trying to ruin peoples reputation daily but why does Belcher get a pass? They would be against him if he didn't commit suicide. I have no sympathy for him, he killed his pregnant gf and that's all there is to it.[/QUOTE]

Lol... way to edit the quote to support your post.

I believe the COMPLETE quote was in reference to him being an inspiration to teammates (prior to this incident) in college because out of high school he had just one scholarship offer and his entire career he was slow (relatively) and under sized.

I don't recall reading a single article where he wasn't labeled as "murder" so I'm not sure what your issue is.... you make it sound like the media is sensationalizing this beyond the point that they would for any professional athlete or celebrity that had just been involved in a murder suicide. In appropriate fashion there was no vigil or moment of remembrance held publicly for Jevon and if people that knew him wanted to do so privately more power to them

The only irresponsible article I've seen to date is one that pulled anonymous information from deadspin in that made a to the effect of the act of violence may have been related to a head injury the week prior that caused Jevon to spend the following week drinking heavily and taking pain killers.

[quote name='PimpLimp']If Texans beat the Patriots next week, all they have to do is win 1 out of their next 3 and a bye is guaranteed. If Houston were to beat NE and Denver was to beat the Ravens the week after, Texans and Broncos would be sitting #1 and #2 in the AFC come week 16 :D[/QUOTE]

It's what I'm banking on. :D

[quote name='GamerDude316']how do these crappy Dallas/Philly games keep being spotlight games like "America's game of the week" or a primetime Sunday night matchup?[/QUOTE]

The schedule is set before the season, when it certainly seemed likely to be a compelling matchup. Even though it's not, these are still two teams with large followings, so ratings aren't likely to be too terrible. When they can only flex so many games a year (not sure what the exact number is now), it's not really worth flexing out a game which will likely get good ratings regardless.

[quote name='RealDeals']It's what I'm banking on. :D[/QUOTE]

I expect that the Patriots are probably going to be a modest favorite next week, considering the game is in New England. I'm not saying Houston can't win, obviously they can, but beating the Patriots at home in December is no bargain. They haven't lost in the second half of the season since 2009. Tom Brady hasn't lost a home game in the second half (not including the playoffs.. unfortunately) in six years.

then it's about time he does lose.

Why do the Pats get the easiest schedule year in/ year out. Beside the crap division - their games against playoff teams are at home.

[quote name='bvharris']I expect that the Patriots are probably going to be a modest favorite next week, considering the game is in New England. I'm not saying Houston can't win, obviously they can, but beating the Patriots at home in December is no bargain. They haven't lost in the second half of the season since 2009. Tom Brady hasn't lost a home game in the second half (not including the playoffs.. unfortunately) in six years.[/QUOTE]Oh I'm not delusional or naive, I know for a fact that the Patriots are going to be a favorite at home in December and it's going to be a hard game for either team to win. But the Pats are just too one-dimensional to me. There running game has been admittedly better this year, but everything in the end runs through Tom Brady.

Unless NE can manage to stop the run, I see Foster and Co. just running all over them to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Brady's hands. This is the Texans biggest game of the season, and after watching all of yesterdays post-game interviews, their nonchalant attitude about making the playoffs lets me know they're NOT overlooking the Patriots.

[quote name='bvharris']
I expect that the Patriots are probably going to be a modest favorite next week, considering the game is in New England. I'm not saying Houston can't win, obviously they can, but beating the Patriots at home in December is no bargain. They haven't lost in the second half of the season since 2009. Tom Brady hasn't lost a home game in the second half (not including the playoffs.. unfortunately) in six years.[/QUOTE]

Well playing Houston and San Francisco at home in back to back weeks, he has a good chance to finally lose one at home.

Although, I'm not sure which 49ers team will show up.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Oh I'm not delusional or naive, I know for a fact that the Patriots are going to be a favorite at home in December and it's going to be a hard game for either team to win. But the Pats are just too one-dimensional to me. There running game has been admittedly better this year, but everything in the end runs through Tom Brady. [/QUOTE]

The Patriots have a top 10 rushing offense and lead the NFL in rushing touchdowns. The "one-dimensional" reputation is a relic of last decade's Patriots teams. They still pass more than run overall, but just barely. This isn't the 2007 offense.

[quote name='PimpLimp']
Unless NE can manage to stop the run, I see Foster and Co. just running all over them to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Brady's hands. [/QUOTE]

They also have a top 10 rushing defense. It is absolutely the strength of this unit with Wilfork, Mayo and Spikes up the middle. They also force more fumbles than any team in the NFL.

Anyone who has watched a Patriots game the last few years can tell you that running the ball is not how you put up points on them. You throw early and throw often. If the Texans come in looking to win on the ground, that will be Christmas come early for Belichick.

The Pats don't have anyone who can cover Andre Johnson 1-on-1. Daniels will also present some matchup problems for them since their linebackers are not fantastic in coverage.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that I just see the Texans as being more multifaceted than the Patriots. When it comes to run offense and defense, anything the Patriots do, the Texans do better. Which is why in my opinion the Texans pretty much negate any run advantage on both sides of the ball that the Patriots could have.

[quote name='bvharris']The Patriots have a top 10 rushing offense and lead the NFL in rushing touchdowns. The "one-dimensional" reputation is a relic of last decade's Patriots teams. They still pass more than run overall, but just barely. This isn't the 2007 offense.[/QUOTE]To counter that, the Texans are #2 in rushing defense and have allowed the least amount of rushing touchdowns in the NFL.

[quote name='bvharris']They also have a top 10 rushing defense. It is absolutely the strength of this unit with Wilfork, Mayo and Spikes up the middle. They also force more fumbles than any team in the NFL.

Anyone who has watched a Patriots game the last few years can tell you that running the ball is not how you put up points on them. You throw early and throw often. If the Texans come in looking to win on the ground, that will be Christmas come early for Belichick.[/QUOTE]This is again where the Texans are superior in my eyes. While the Pats have a good rushing game and the most rushing touchdowns as you've pointed out, Houston's run game is better and Arian Foster leads all players in rushing touchdowns period.

Arian Foster also has the most carries in the league I believe, so that should go to show you it really doesn't matter who they play. They run the ball. It just helps set up the bootleg and play-action.

[quote name='bvharris']The Pats don't have anyone who can cover Andre Johnson 1-on-1. Daniels will also present some matchup problems for them since their linebackers are not fantastic in coverage.[/QUOTE]This may end up being the deciding factor for both teams if Jonathan Joseph isn't playing for Houston. The Texans secondary is really beat up at this point and it's obvious through the last couple games they're giving up a couple big plays a game.

[quote name='Gannikus']"Jovan Belcher, who killed himself and his pregnant girlfriend, had been an inspiration" not to be cold or anything... but why does the media keep trying to push positive things about him? A murder is still a murder, he's just as bad as O.J

The media is usually trying to ruin peoples reputation daily but why does Belcher get a pass? They would be against him if he didn't commit suicide. I have no sympathy for him, he killed his pregnant gf and that's all there is to it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe his girlfriend tricked him into thinking that it was his baby, he found out that is wasn't and she threatened to take all of his earnings as child support because he originally took responsibility for it and she's using that against him to take him to the cleaners. Then he went all batshit insane because he actually believed her.

But that is all speculation and so is your post. Details are not out yet.

I live in New England, been around the Pats craze more than most people since 2001.

I just don't see New England winning. I can see maybe a 2 or 3 point favorite due to home field.........but Houston is going to tear apart New England's horrible pass defense. When the Pats D finally steps up to stop the pass, Arian Foster will go around the outside to avoid Wilfork & Crew.

In lighter news: Sucks being a Panthers fan. Don't know how they lost to the Chiefs.

I should clarify... I'm HOPING the Texans win as my Broncos can go 4-0 or at worst 3-1 depending on the Ravens game, so they can get home field. I expect the Pats to win though. Honestly PimpLimp, I'm not that worried by Arian that much if I'm the Pats. His numbers are inflated just because of the insane amount of touches he gets. His YPC is down a lot when he goes up against decent run defenses this year (GB, Chi, heck Ten twice). I think the defense has to prevail or risk letting Schaub duel it out againt Brady (an option I wouldn't think most Texans fans are too thrilled about.)

I still dont understand how they have not gotten a solid number 2 receiver. I mean the 2005 nfc championship game proved that they needed one. Keyshawn and Moose were solid but there was never a long term solution sought out.

[quote name='RealDeals']I should clarify... I'm HOPING the Texans win as my Broncos can go 4-0 or at worst 3-1 depending on the Ravens game, so they can get home field. I expect the Pats to win though. Honestly PimpLimp, I'm not that worried by Arian that much if I'm the Pats. His numbers are inflated just because of the insane amount of touches he gets. His YPC is down a lot when he goes up against decent run defenses this year (GB, Chi, heck Ten twice). I think the defense has to prevail or risk letting Schaub duel it out againt Brady (an option I wouldn't think most Texans fans are too thrilled about.)[/QUOTE]It's going to be a good game but I honestly think the Texans defense will be the difference maker. And I agree with pretty much everything you say about Foster. They haven't been throwing him the ball much this year and he hasn't really had that many plays for big yards this year as well, but he is absolutely LETHAL in the red zone. Which is something you have to account for.

And now with Ben Tate back, and Forsett being pretty good the last couple games, the Pats have a stable of backs to worry about.

In the end, for all the people bitching earlier about the NFL showing "weak" primetime games, this is probably going to be one of the best MNF games of the season.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I still dont understand how they have not gotten a solid number 2 receiver. I mean the 2005 nfc championship game proved that they needed one. Keyshawn and Moose were solid but there was never a long term solution sought out.[/QUOTE]
You and me both. Hell, if they wait long enough, they'll need to start looking for a number 1 receiver. :lol:

[quote name='PimpLimp']
And now with Ben Tate back, and Forsett being pretty good the last couple games, the Pats have a stable of backs to worry about. [/QUOTE]

vinceats2.gif

His body is ready.

[quote name='PimpLimp']
In the end, for all the people bitching earlier about the NFL showing "weak" primetime games, this is probably going to be one of the best MNF games of the season.[/QUOTE]

No doubt.

bread's done
Back