The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

Okay, let's see if the Lakers can win today! I'd rather prefer them not to give up over 100 points this time ;)

If they can keep control of Williams and Boozer, they should be fine. They've done a good job on Boozer so far, but Deron keeps sneaking in there and splittin' the defenders >:O

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okay, let's see if the Lakers can win today! I'd rather prefer them not to give up over 100 points this time ;)

If they can keep control of Williams and Boozer, they should be fine. They've done a good job on Boozer so far, but Deron keeps sneaking in there and splittin' the defenders >:O[/quote]

fish has a done ok against him but farmar has been burned every time like usual :lol::bomb:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okay, let's see if the Lakers can win today! I'd rather prefer them not to give up over 100 points this time ;)

If they can keep control of Williams and Boozer, they should be fine. They've done a good job on Boozer so far, but Deron keeps sneaking in there and splittin' the defenders >:O[/quote]

Yea that is what Phil Jackson didnt like the most.... Seeing Williams always splitting the defense to get a easy Lay-up.

I also agree that if they keep Deron from scoring off easy baskets and control the tempo they should do good tonight.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Sure it would be nice to have Bynum back in the line up, but I still don't see it happening, especially with the Lakers medical staff. Look at Luke Walton, ever since his injury last season he hasn't really been the same. Sure he played well against the Nuggets, but he was really bad during the regular season. I would rather trade Luke and Vlad and get another decent SF to play behind Ariza, but they have bad contracts. I am pretty sure Mbenga and Newble are off the books after this season, but I wouldn't mind signing Mbenga again because he would be cheap to sign. He has improved throughout the season with the Lakers since he joined the team, meaning less turnovers, he can make blocks, and he has shown that he can score when he has an opportunity (doesn't fumble the ball like Kwame). Mbenga is like Turiaf, he plays with hustle, and doesn't give up, which is why I think he is an asset to the Lakers. So I think he has the potential to become a solid backup for Bynum. I don't see them signing Newble again, especially if Ariza can stay healthy. Lakers will probably get rid of Coby Karl too because they don't need him because of Sasha.

The Lakers priorities this summer are to resign Sasha, Turiaf, and Bynum (Don't know if the Lakers are going to give him the max if there is no improvement on his knee this summer). And I have no idea what the Lakers are going to do with Lamar, because I have a feeling he might be offered a bigger contract with other teams once he is available (it really does depend how well he plays for the rest of the playoffs). I really hope he is willing to take a pay cut and stay with the team.[/quote]

Hmm....I guess I can see your point about Mbenga, but I still think he's just so-so. Maybe if we can sign him for cheap. You're right about having to sign Sasha, Turiaf, and Bynum. I'm sure Kupcheck will be able to get all three. We can drop Newble, Mbenga (if we need to), and let's not forget we're still paying for Mihm's contract and he's hardly been playing. I think Lamar might be able to get a slightly better contract elsewhere, but I just don't get the sense that he wants to leave LA/Lakers. Bynum is very solid in the third or fourth position behind a Bynum or Gasol. Walton's had a decent year. Yes, not his best, but still a very solid performance if you ask me and he fleshes out as a solid bench. He needs to work at it if he has to be a starter, but coming off the bench he plays well. I would keep him and Coby Karl (we can trade him if need be, but he seems to have a ton of potential), but probably trade out Vlad.

[quote name='dafoomie']
10404chokingxk9.jpg
[/quote]

That is just awesome.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']deron is amazing...when the game doesnt matter :rofl:[/quote]

So true.

Really good game by the Jazz, they outplayed the lakers all night. Too many turnovers by the Lakers, and got out rebounded again. Boozer really got hot in the 4th quarter, and near the end Luke fucked up after the jump ball with Gasol and Williams ending their chance of a come back. I really hope Ariza is coming back soon.

I voiced my opinion and my fears and they all came true. Jazz went over 100 points, they did not keep control of Boozer and Williams, the Lakers bench was dead in the first half and the Jazz took advantage of that early with Okur and friends.

fucken Boozer man...I CANNOT believe they allowed him to collect so many offensive rebounds. Throughout the whole game I was pissed that they were not blocking his shots and challenging him enough on those rebounds, plus the Lakers have been allowing the Jazz to control the boards the whole series and it's finally caught up to them.

I believe the Lakers will come back and take Game 4, because I know they're bright enough to recognize exactly what went wrong, and I have confidence that their bench will contribute a lot more next game.

More venting --> WALTON, what the friggin' a losing the tap at a critical time. The whole Laker team, are you gonna just sit there and watch the Jazz just catch every rebound or what? Laker bench, when Kobe is out, don't start losing control dammit, I swear, they had more turnovers when Kobe was resting than when he was in the whole 2nd half, and what the hell with a foul being called almost every time a Jazz player goes up for a lay-up? It's like if they missed a lay-up, BAM, instant foul called on Lakers. I'm not saying officiating was being unfair, but it just felt like they were getting calls when they kept missing.

Another thing I didn't understand is the matchup with Harpring and Bryant. Maybe it's because Kobe had to learn the way he defends or something, but he didn't draw him into fouling him til' late in the game. They did that early in the past two games with a couple Jazz players to put them into foul trouble early, but I didn't see that strategy from the Lakers tonight til' the second half. I hate it when teams draw away from their game when it's still working for them, because honestly, that's how they beat them the last game (I didn't catch game 1). They put Boozer into foul trouble early, therefore, he never got in a rhythm and was pretty much cold the whole game. If they did the same tactic with Kobe's defenders, then the Jazz would have a hell of a time switching defenders on him while maintaining the defense that they want to run.

[quote name='unforeseen']Shades of Vlade Divac...flopper.
cpflop.gif
[/quote]

Yeah that was a tad much. But please dont ever show anyone flopping against the spurs.

The spurs. A team that contains the most balls out floppers in the league.

Also, Boozer is an undercover super star. That guy is freaking amazing. Also remember that he is only what ? 6 8 or 6 9. He is not even a full size PF and he can go for 40 in a given night.

[quote name='unforeseen']Shades of Vlade Divac...flopper.
cpflop.gif
[/QUOTE]
Kobe and LeBron are two of the biggest floppers I've seen in a while, and that one was pretty pathetic too. LeBron even had the balls to complain about not getting a call on every flop, while Paul Pierce got a tooth knocked out and no foul was called.

[quote name='dafoomie']Kobe and LeBron are two of the biggest floppers I've seen in a while, and that one was pretty pathetic too. LeBron even had the balls to complain about not getting a call on every flop, while Paul Pierce got a tooth knocked out and no foul was called.[/quote]

!?!?!?!
kobe NEVER gets calls hes hacked all the time and
if u wanna call a flopper try watching dwade play

[quote name='Nelo Ice']!?!?!?!
if u wanna call a flopper try watching dwade play[/QUOTE]

:roll: Kobe had the 4th most free throw attempts in the league, so I'd say he gets his fair share of calls.

if u wanna call a flopper try watching dwade play[/quote]

Getting into the hacking.

Hey what ever happened to the "under control drive" foul?

Ginobilieite (I hate him to much to even try to spell his name right...spurs) Is a expert at this. Driving into the hole widely flailing around as much as possible and hoping that someone somewhere touches him and then falling like he was just stabbed in the heart.

Now if you watch a lot of these "slashers" you will notice that. Bron bron, wade, Ginoblili. They all have that out of control drive that should really be an offensive foul but is never called. As a defender you simply cant do anything against a guy who is running at a 100mph flailing his body around. I dont know about kobe....I havent watched him enough.

Now look at Allen Iverson. One of the best slashers in the game. Every time he goes to the hole its calm, under control, safe.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0v3gTmEwvCQ&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Now compare that to these new slashers.

D-wade

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzxjGE&feature=related[/MEDIA]

I choose this one beacuse the announcers start to talk about it a little bit. They call a foul on the defender but its really Wade spinning out of control that is the problem.

This is a great mix of what I am talking about with D-wade.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JZyD3Zjuxvw&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Watched D-wades body. Flailing all over the place...twisting in the air for no real reason. As a defender you simply cant do anything because before you even attempt to contest the shot the ball carrier is already flailing and twisting like he was shot.

To be honestly I really miss the days where driving was considered an art form. And only the die heard fearless players did it. Because back then PF/C didnt allow guards to just abuse them in the paint. You had to earn your 2 points after getting slammed. Respect was earned not given by refs. Watch this and remember when defense actually mattered. Where shooters stayed their asses out on the 3 point line for fear of their lives. And how the die hard or foolish drove the lane regularly and when defenders where actually given a chance to contest shots instead of getting called for fouls before the the shot even goes up.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KoZ651-VkR8[/MEDIA]

if u wanna call a flopper try watching dwade play[/QUOTE]
D-Wade is a flopper too. Reggie Miller might've been the worst of all.

I like how the whole Raja video has only 3 clips of Raja flopping with the rest other players. What's wrong, couldn't get enough clips of Raja himself?

And just because Raja is in my avatar doesn't change the fact that Kobe had the 4th most fta in the league this season.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I like how the whole Raja video has only 3 clips of Raja flopping with the rest other players. What's wrong, couldn't get enough clips of Raja himself?

And just because Raja is in my avatar doesn't change the fact that Kobe had the 4th most fta in the league this season.[/quote]

kobe may have gotten calls this season but hes not a flopper

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNN9ZiH38fs[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CplMELbi7o[/media]anyway

also hey i was just arguing that kobe is not a flopper and most of the time he rarely gets the call to go his way

[quote name='Immortal fWd']When did anyone say Kobe was a flopper?[/quote]

[quote name='dafoomie']Kobe and LeBron are two of the biggest floppers I've seen in a while, and that one was pretty pathetic too. LeBron even had the balls to complain about not getting a call on every flop, while Paul Pierce got a tooth knocked out and no foul was called.[/quote]

i thought u were referring to that

[quote name='Nelo Ice']i thought u were referring to that[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice he posted that, and I don't agree. I don't think Kobe flops.

It's a moot point anyways, because nobody flops like the Spurs, you have to at least agree with that. I'm not going to say Raja doesn't flop sometimes, but it's nothing compared to the Spurs.

Flopping must be part of their practices, because Kurt Thomas never flopped when he was the Suns, but he sure did in this years playoff series.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I didn't notice he posted that, and I don't agree. I don't think Kobe flops.

It's a moot point anyways, because nobody flops like the Spurs, you have to at least agree with that. I'm not going to say Raja doesn't flop sometimes, but it's nothing compared to the Spurs.

Flopping must be part of their practices, because Kurt Thomas never flopped when he was the Suns, but he sure did in this years playoff series.[/quote]

true kurt thomas did flop during the series and ginobli as usual
then again i barely paid attention to the series other than game 1 ><
though from what i saw kurt thomas did take alot of charges

And in other news...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3389987

D'Antoni accepts offer, chooses Knicks over Bulls

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 10, 2008, 7:23 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

The New York Knicks have agreed in principle with Mike D'Antoni to become the next coach, the team said Saturday. A news conference will be scheduled upon the completion of the contract.

The former Phoenix Suns coach, who was also sought by the Chicago Bulls, has accepted a four-year, $24 million deal to take over the Knicks. ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported Saturday morning the terms of the contract, which will make D'Antoni the league's third-highest-paid coach based on annual salary.

Suns owner Robert Sarver wouldn't confirm that D'Antoni had taken the New York job, but told The Associated Press, "Mike called me this morning to thank me, so I figured this was up."

ESPN.com has been reporting since Thursday that D'Antoni was the Knicks' No. 1 coaching target. Sports Illustrated and The Boston Globe, both citing a league source, were the first to report the deal was done.

D'Antoni takes over coaching duties for one of the league's most high-profile franchises -- and one that has fallen into disarray over the past two seasons under former coach and team president Isiah Thomas. Following a messy divorce with former coach Larry Brown, the Knicks went 33-49 in 2006-07 and 23-59 last season, tying the franchise mark for losses in a season.

D'Antoni had two years and nearly $9 million remaining on his contract with the Suns, whom he led to two Western Conference finals. The Suns were eliminated in the first round of the NBA playoffs this season by the San Antonio Spurs after trading Shawn Marion to Miami for Shaquille O'Neal.

Ford: Walsh wins

Knicks president Donnie Walsh pulled out all the stops to get Mike D'Antoni to leave Phoenix, not for Chicago, but New York. How did he do it? Analysis

The two-team chase for D'Antoni intensified when he talked to the Bulls in a late-evening conference call with team officials on Friday. The Chicago Tribune reported Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who owns a home in the Phoenix area, planned to meet face-to-face over the weekend with D'Antoni.

D'Antoni has a 267-172 career coaching record with the Suns and Denver Nuggets. The Suns won at least 54 games in four of his five seasons, and he has a 26-25 record in the playoffs.

The Suns wanted D'Antoni to remain in Phoenix, but they gave him permission to speak to other teams after he expressed his interest in pursuing other opportunities.

D'Antoni now becomes the Knicks' sixth different coach since the start of the 2002-03 season.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh had been looking for a coach since removing Thomas on April 18. He previously met with former Knicks guard and television analyst Mark Jackson and Knicks assistant Herb Williams. But he took his time to see what coaches would become available during the postseason.

He found one who has led his team to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.

The Knicks, meanwhile, are coming off their seventh straight losing season and haven't won a playoff game since 2001.

They've been just as dysfunctional off the court, with Thomas and Madison Square Garden found to have sexually harassed a former team employee and forced to pay $11.5 million. The affable D'Antoni should improve the Knicks' image, even if it won't be easy to make a winner out of the team.

Good Luck In New York

Mike D'Antoni coached his first Suns game on Dec. 11, 2003 and since then, Phoenix has the fourth-best record in the NBA. In the same span, the Knicks have the NBA's third-worst record.
Best Record In NBA,
Since Dec. 11, 2003 Team W-L Win Pct.
Spurs 280-107 .724
Mavericks 275-114 .707
Pistons 270-118 .696
Suns 253-136 .650
Worst Record In NBA,
Since Dec. 11, 2003 Team W-L Win Pct.
Hawks 127-260 .328
Bobcats 109-219 .332
Knicks 144-243 .372
Trail Blazers 152-238 .390

Walsh acknowledges it will take time to rebuild the Knicks, and their roster seems ill-suited for D'Antoni's uptempo style. They are slow in the frontcourt with Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph, and the point guard situation is unclear with Stephon Marbury missing most of last season and coming off ankle surgery.

But D'Antoni quickly made Phoenix a winner after becoming their coach 21 games into the 2003-04 season. A short time later, the Suns traded Marbury and Penny Hardaway to the Knicks, clearing the way for the offseason blockbuster signing of Steve Nash.

Nash was a perfect fit for D'Antoni, and the Suns quickly became NBA darlings, their refreshing style far more entertaining than the plodding game of most teams. In the 2004-05 season, the Suns won 62 games, tying a franchise record, leading to coach of the year honors for D'Antoni and the first of two MVP awards for Nash.

But the Suns never made it to the Finals under D'Antoni, losing to San Antonio three times and Dallas once. The acquisition of O'Neal in February was designed to toughen the team and a better match for the Spurs. But after the Suns' five-game loss to San Antonio, D'Antoni's future with the organization became a subject of speculation.

President and general manager Steve Kerr, hired a year ago, acknowledged differences in philosophy, and eventually gave D'Antoni permission to speak with other teams.

It's unclear where the Suns look now because they hoped D'Antoni would stay -- Nash said Friday he believed that would be the case. But Kerr most likely will go after a more defensive-minded coach since defense was the biggest weakness under D'Antoni.

ESPN.com senior writer Marc Stein contributed to this report. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I'll admit I'm a bit bummed by this news. While D'Antoni is horrible at defense, I don't think there's a better coach out there who's available.

u guys losing d'antoni is a good thing

run n gun wasnt going to work and he wasnt going to preach defense anytime soon

dont kno whod be a good fit with the current roster but losing him is a good start

avery might be a nice fit though

[quote name='Nelo Ice']u guys losing d'antoni is a good thing

run n gun wasnt going to work and he wasnt going to preach defense anytime soon

dont kno whod be a good fit with the current roster but losing him is a good start

avery might be a nice fit though[/QUOTE]

I can't put all the blame on D'Antoni, a lot of it has to do with management, and it all started with the Joe Johnson fiasco. Had we been able to keep him I think run and gun could have worked. Hell, it worked for the showtime Lakers in the 80's. I think we had a realistic shot last year as well if it wasn't for the suspensions against the Spurs.

I wouldn't mind Jeff Van Gundy, but he says he's not coming out of retirement.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I can't put all the blame on D'Antoni, a lot of it has to do with management, and it all started with the Joe Johnson fiasco. Had we been able to keep him I think run and gun could have worked. Hell, it worked for the showtime Lakers in the 80's. I think we had a realistic shot last year as well if it wasn't for the suspensions against the Spurs.[/quote]

true management has been stupid trading away draft picks trading for shaq and trading joe johnson along with huge contracts for diaw and to an extent barbosa
i think the best chance was when u had joe johnson Q eddie house and james jones

that was entertaining to watch and so many shooters ment hell for opposing defenses

JVG would actually be a nice fit though i hope he doesnt get out of broadcasting since hes hilarious and he might help out the enemy :p

I think it was a bad move to let D'Antoni go, they gave him what 15 games in the regular season to adjust to an All-Star center?

Who's going to coach em that can handle this veteran team? I would've recommended Larry Brown but he's gone.

Oh by the way, the NBA was ruined by this new school Dwayne Wade style player. Any player nowadays can just put their head down and drive to the lane for a basket. When the player isn't able to, it shows the flaws in their game.

Take Mr. LeBron James, Boston stops his ability to drive to the lane, which forces him to actually shoot the basketball which isn't his forté. Ditto with Wade, who can shoot a jumper, but couldn't shoot a 3 to save his life.

Kobe flops here and there, but he gets calls because he actually has a jumper, and players have no other ways to stop him, Shane Battier is the only one who actually can play good defense on Kobe.

LeFlop does it again. He managed to milk that into a flagrant. That broken neck of his didn't seem to hurt him once he started taking freethrows.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Getting into the hacking.

Hey what ever happened to the "under control drive" foul?

Now if you watch a lot of these "slashers" you will notice that. Bron bron, wade, Ginoblili. They all have that out of control drive that should really be an offensive foul but is never called. As a defender you simply cant do anything against a guy who is running at a 100mph flailing his body around. I dont know about kobe....I havent watched him enough.[/quote]

I'm sorry but LeBron does not drive out of control. If you watch him he drives towards the basket, initiates contact with a defender by cutting to a side (not an offensive foul), and then tries for the layup after contact. None of that is out of control or and offensive foul.

[quote name='dafoomie']LeFlop does it again. He managed to milk that into a flagrant. That broken neck of his didn't seem to hurt him once he started taking freethrows.[/quote]

I agree, that wasn't a flagrant.

[quote name='Filbert']I agree, that wasn't a flagrant.[/QUOTE]
Hell, it wasn't even a shooting foul. West had a flop earlier in the game that even the ABC announcers were all over.

The Celtics still don't have one free throw in this game. I wonder which way the officiating is tilted? Though Cleveland would still be ahead anyway, its their 1st game at home and they've got all that energy.

[quote name='Filbert']I'm sorry but LeBron does not drive out of control. If you watch him he drives towards the basket, initiates contact with a defender by cutting to a side (not an offensive foul), and then tries for the layup after contact. None of that is out of control or and offensive foul.

I agree, that wasn't a flagrant.[/quote]

Heh. I see what you are saying....and I think its border line but leaning towards a foul. Though I dont ever think I have seen Bron cut to the side. He usually just tries to jump over the defender and dunks on them.

Bron Bron has a very football like drive due to his power. Thats fine. I dont know...I see what you are saying but I am on the fence.

I dont think any of it would be a big deal if only they let defenders actually well....defend. defenders basically have to get out of the way of the offense and try to block them from behind as they drive past.

But what do you do when their is a 6 8 bron running with his head down at you when you know there is only a 20% chance they will call a charge even if you get into position.

I agree with ph33r m3. When a team starts rotating perfectly and always blocking a drive players start getting desperate. You see this in a lot of these new breed "slashers."

What ryhmes with cantplayplayoffbasketballontheroad? Boston Celtics.

Did anyone catch those those two LeBron blocks on Rondo? Jesus, that's shit that if Rondo was at the local YMCA he'd be getting shit on the whole game for that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Steve Kerr should have known better than to run D'Antoni out of Phoenix.[/quote]

he should've known better when he traded for shaq :rofl:

[quote name='Nelo Ice']will the celtics ever win on the road? :lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

I think the bigger question is will they lose at home? Because even if they lose all their road games, but win all their home games, they'll still be the champs.

They are making it tough on themselves though.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']will the celtics ever win on the road? :lol::lol:[/quote]

Nope, not with the shitty play they've been doing. God I swear they're like an entirely different team on the road.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I think the bigger question is will they lose at home? Because even if they lose all their road games, but win all their home games, they'll still be the champs.

They are making it tough on themselves though.[/quote]

theyre screwed if a team steals one on the road though

at this point it looks like the pistons are the best in the east since theyre actually a good road team

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I think the bigger question is will they lose at home? Because even if they lose all their road games, but win all their home games, they'll still be the champs.

I dunno, I think stretching every series to seven games might eventually take a toll on the Celtics, a lot of things could go wrong (i.e. - suspensions, injuries, fatigue, etc..)

[quote name='ph33r m3']What ryhmes with cantplayplayoffbasketballontheroad? Boston Celtics.

Did anyone catch those those two LeBron blocks on Rondo? Jesus, that's shit that if Rondo was at the local YMCA he'd be getting shit on the whole game for that.[/QUOTE]
One of those should've been a goaltend, but its LeBron, so it wasn't.

They were the best road team this year, they've gone into Detroit and won this year. I'm not real concerned. I expected Cleveland to win this game, the home team usually comes out flying in game 3. They did all their damage in the 1st quarter.

[quote name='dafoomie']One of those should've been a goaltend, but its LeBron, so it wasn't.

They were the best road team this year, they've gone into Detroit and won this year. I'm not real concerned. I expected Cleveland to win this game, the home team usually comes out flying in game 3. They did all their damage in the 1st quarter.[/quote]

Which one was a goaltend? The one where he grabbed the ball with his hand off the backboard?

They were the best team on the read on the regular season .

[quote name='ph33r m3']Which one was a goaltend? The one where he grabbed the ball with his hand off the backboard?

They were the best team on the read on the regular season .[/QUOTE]
The one where it hit the backboard and he trapped it.

I'll take a 41 game sample size over 4. Sweeping the Cavs is an unrealistic expectation.

Heck, if LeBron James had an even remotely decent shooting night in game one they would have lost at home already.

For all the mean-muggin' and trash-talking Kevin Garnett likes to do, he really has no killer instinct at all. For that reason alone they won't win the championship this year.

How the hell is he going to coach the Knicks? Their roster is completely opposite of the suns with 1/4 of the talent. Plus he has no idea how to coach defense.

The knicks are still slightly better without thomas but damn they are trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

bread's done
Back