The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

Well I wonder if Boston wins, will they keep the team together? They could get some better bench players, and they should give players like Brown (who can play a decent center) and Cassell more playing time.

Where's tony delk when you need him?

The end of this game is getting rather one sided.

Boston has driven into the lane the last 5 possession with lots of contact and no call.

I dont know. I hate to blame the refs but those last 4 no calls are breaking the game for Boston.

They are obviously letting LA play more physically than Boston. Like I said pretty much this entire QRT Boston has been driving the lane like crazy and getting nothing.

PP has gone to the lane a bunch but its still under what I feel he should have gotten and thats not included when KG gets hacked or any other Boston player.

oh now they dont want to call the foul, knowing it would stop the clock, go back to betting on games ref, you guys will be rich, u know since you fix them and all

"Which you could argue as a foul."

Well, no shit. As someone already said here, he didn't even touch the basketball, he hit Pierce.

It's a shame that such a vital moment of the game was called so wrong.

I like how they called a travel on Paul at the start of the game for almost falling yet kobe diving to the ground doesnt get one.

Also yes....did kobe even touch the ball?

Man thats bullshit.

[quote name='Rocko']"Which you could argue as a foul."

Well, no shit. As someone already said here, he didn't even touch the basketball, he hit Pierce.

It's a shame that such a vital moment of the game was called so wrong.[/quote]

Agreed

The Celtics really, really miss Perkins. Thats the reason why Gasol has been so effective today.

That and the calls are why the Celtics lost today. No matter. I predicted they'd take 1 of 3 in LA and go home up 3-2, and they are. If I can get tickets to game 6, I won't even be upset about it.

That first, brutal, phantom call on KG really changed the way this game was played.

Regardless of that non foul call...The refs obviously let the home team play more physically...like in Game 2 Powe had more FT's than the whole Lakers team...I am starting to have doubts about the NBA...

The NBA needs to have some type of replay system in which a coach can have a challenge like football.

As rocko stated its to vital to a game for a ref to get a call wrong. And when you employee fucking 78 year old god damn refs I am willing to bet they will get some things wrong.

There needs to be more checks and balances in the NBA.

I am sick of this at the refs desecration bullshit. We need legit prove that something did or did not happen. To many games get decided by dumbass calls at vital points.

perkins has 2 days to recover , so he better, and garnett needs to practice more from free throw line cause damn , he missed both.. not good.... and they need to let pierce breathe a lil , he play the WHOLE GAME DAMN!!

Before someone yells about bitching that was a huge swing play. went from a chance to tie to being down 4. Oh well I think the Celtics take game 6 soundly. No way the Lakers jump all over the Celts in the first quarter in Boston

[quote name='babycarlitos']perkins has 2 days to recover , so he better, and garnett needs to practice more from free throw line cause damn , he missed both.. not good.... and they need to let pierce breathe a lil , he play the WHOLE GAME DAMN!![/quote]

These Playoffs gave me a new respect for Paul Pierce, I always thought of him as a Solid good Player, now I consider him a Superstar with really good defense, and not many stars can say that

Don't expect to see Perkins again until next year, he's really hurt. He's had a history of shoulder problems. He can't even raise that arm up over the shoulder let alone play.

Maybe Big Baby Davis could see some minutes.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The NBA needs to have some type of replay system in which a coach can have a challenge like football.

As rocko stated its to vital to a game for a ref to get a call wrong. And when you employee fucking 78 year old god damn refs I am willing to bet they will get some things wrong.

I am sick of this at the refs desecration bullshit. We need legit prove that something did or did not happen. To many games get decided by dumbass calls at vital points.[/QUOTE]

Mark Cuban is an ass but he has been on the anti ref bandwagon for years. Even had a guy keeping tabs in the stands at one point

[quote name='Soodmeg']The NBA needs to have some type of replay system in which a coach can have a challenge like football.

I am sick of this at the refs desecration bullshit. We need legit prove that something did or did not happen. To many games get decided by dumbass calls at vital points.[/quote]

There's no possible way replay can work in the NBA outside of end of quarter calls. There are actions to take to improve officiating in the NBA, but challenges are not viable. There will always be bad calls though. Players, coaches, and most importantly fans just have to move on.

[quote name='Poor2More']Lakers look like a bunch of assholes claping in the middle of the court to the fans[/QUOTE]

Don't be stupid. They were clapping to the fans because that's the last game that's being played in LA.

And yes there should be replays in the NBA. They need to stop letting big name players get away with fouls. Anyone who thinks the games aren't rigged by the refs are idiots.

That call wasn't the slightest bit questionable- it was 100% incorrect.

It blows my mind that that call can be made, while similar situations are called correctly. I mean, there has to be a shitload of people that want to officiate NBA games, you'd think they'd choose men who can competently do the job.

[quote name='Poor2More']Lakers look like a bunch of assholes clapping in the middle of the court to the fans[/quote]

There clapping in the middle of the court because its the Lakers last game being played at home in LA..

Finally the Lakers won and sent this series back to Boston... I didn't want to see the Boston Celtics win a championship on the Lakers home floor.

Kobe was a little off but ill take this lazy win. They need to play better defense if they wanna win on the road.

Go Lakers!

[quote name='primetime']There's no possible way replay can work in the NBA outside of end of quarter calls. There are actions to take to improve officiating in the NBA, but challenges are not viable. There will always be bad calls though. Players, coaches, and most importantly fans just have to move on.[/quote]

Thats where I would disagree.

You have a giant fucking screen that shows a replay 2 seconds after it happens with at least 400 camera op's surrounding the court at any given second.

Why couldnt a coach simply say....hey I really want that last call checked out to make sure its right.

Honestly...The NBA stops more times for random bullshit than any other sport. You got 20's full's hell even a god damn timeout solely for the purpose of showing tv ads.

Your telling me in all that time you cant check a replay that is ready 2 seconds after it happened.

I honestly think all sports should be checked by replay. There is no reason not to. We have tech out of the ass that tracks these games. It would be very very easy to check on a call.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thats where I would disagree.

You have a giant fucking screen that shows a replay 2 seconds after it happens with at least 400 camera op's surrounding the court at any given second.

Why couldnt a coach simply say....hey I really want that last call checked out to make sure its right.

Honestly...The NBA stops more times for random bullshit than any other sport. You got 20's full's hell even a god damn timeout solely for the purpose of showing tv ads.

Your telling me in all that time you cant check a replay that is ready 2 seconds after it happened.

I honestly think all sports should be checked by replay. There is no reason not to. We have tech out of the ass that tracks these games. It would be very very easy to check on a call.[/quote]

You are right about all the stoppages. In this case, I don't think it's even about preserving the "flow of the game."

With all the contact that takes place on every play, most fouls boil down to being judgment calls. I have a major problem if challenges in the NBA involve reviewing (like you are suggesting) judgment fouls. That simply doesn't work. Then you've got to deal with problems such as views of the game (which will inevitably differ from ref to ref), all the commotion that will result from challenges from fans, coaches and players, the pride, for lack of a better term, of the referee causing him/her to not want to overturn the call, among many others. Replay isn't foolproof.

Challenges just wouldn't work in the NBA. There's a human component to officiating the game. What's so wrong about that? Refs are going to make mistakes. Like I said, it's no big deal-people gotta learn to move on.

Plus we gotta remember that this is probably the toughest pro sport to officiate. I certainly thought that Bryant had a clean strip in real time because of the way Pierce lost the ball. Of course it was wrong, but that's not as easy of a call to make as I think some people here believe.

Look at some other ways to improve officiating-challenges aren't the answer in the NBA.

bread's done
Back